The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill

6star

• Total Posts: 4388
Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Fri, 07/15/11 9:46 AM (permalink)
Should Pike Place Market have the final say-so to street food in and near their market?
http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2011/07/14/pike-place-market-keep-street-food-out/

joerogo

• Total Posts: 4463
    Re:Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Fri, 07/15/11 11:11 AM (permalink)
    I think tourist will still flock to PPM, but the street vendors will probably cut into their local lunch business.  And for what they are paying in rent, the small businesses in PPM should be afforded some protection from lower priced competition.  Just my opinion.

chefbuba

• Total Posts: 1952
      Re:Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Fri, 07/15/11 11:41 AM (permalink)
      I don't see where they would find a place to park.
      The few times I have been there, parking was fubar......

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15060
        • Roadfood Insider
        Re:Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Fri, 07/15/11 3:27 PM (permalink)
        How have the major cities handled the relationship between the street vendors and the 'brick' business's? other than Licensing and parking regs... the public that loses access to the established business's because of lack of parking or narrowed sidewalk access is the one that loses in this deal.
        Limiting space and perhaps the size and numbers of vendors at a given location would help...but if someone has to walk an extra block or two because a food truck is set up in four parking spaces, the customer has a right to voice his protest, and the city shouod listen.  How about making a max time limit on close in spaces to allow the public to get to all the offerings.

pnwchef

• Total Posts: 2230
          Re:Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Sat, 07/16/11 8:01 AM (permalink)
          Parking is crazy on the street near the market, you need to park a few streets up from the market of a parking lot. The area walk way before the market, near the grass area would be a great place for street food booths, there is no room for trucks. The best part of the market isn't really even in the market, but across the street. The fruit stands, fish/ seafood stand, bakery, small restaurants, are the real draw for me. The last time I was there, I talk to the guys at the fish market across the street, and they told me that block was in jeopardy of being knocked down and rebuild. Some people think new is better, I think it looks great just the way it is....................pnwc

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
            Re:Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Sun, 07/17/11 1:35 AM (permalink)
            There should be some zoning ordinances to handle this situation. I personally believe the established vendors who have made a significant investment in the place should have some protection.

Foodbme

• Total Posts: 9544
              Re:Pike Place Market vs Seattle street food bill Sun, 07/17/11 1:41 AM (permalink)
              6star

Should Pike Place Market have the final say-so to street food in and near their market?
              http://blog.seattlepi.com/seattlepolitics/2011/07/14/pike-place-market-keep-street-food-out/

Want something screwed up??? Get the politicians involved!

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                • No New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                • Locked w/ New Messages
                • Locked w/o New Messages
                • Read Message
                • Post New Thread
                • Reply to message
                • Post New Poll
                • Submit Vote
                • Post reward post
                • Delete my own posts
                • Delete my own threads
                • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com