Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust

Author
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2982
2007/02/05 11:23:23 (permalink)

Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust

On sale @ 3/$5, so I tried it.

Not too bad; not great, but better than any frozen pie I've ever had. it tastes like an average pizzeria crust, which is OK.

A couple notes on the instructions:

It unrolls into a rectangular pie that expands to fit a cookie sheet if you stretch it thin. The instructions call for a greased cookie sheet and an oven temp of 400*. They give you a choice of baking the crust for 9 minutes then adding the toppings and baking for 6 minutes more, or adding the toppings and baking for 15 minutes. I tried the second way, and at 15 minutes the cheese was starting to brown but the crust wasn't quite done in the center. Either use the first instructions, or start by rolling and shaping the crust on a dusted dough board and then transfer it to a heated pizza stone.

Taste is bready and a little sweet, with okay chewiness.

I don't want to damn it with faint praise, but I don't want to praise it with faint damns either. It makes a good pie. It doesn't make a GREAT pie. But it makes a REAL pie. You could make a better dough yourself, sure. But you could also make a worse pie by opening a frozen box. For those of us who aren't into making our own dough, this is better than frozen pizza, and better than Domino's/Caesar's/Papa's, but not as good as most quality pizzerias.

Tom

18 Replies Related Threads

UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/05 11:28:04 (permalink)
    Good to know.. Might come in handy when I get lazy. But never used a premade crust, or dough.. Always toss my own, with the hardest part being, waiting for it to rise..
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6695
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/05 13:49:25 (permalink)
    I just used the Martha White dry mix the other day. Not too bad, but you cant stretch it like it says to.
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/05 14:08:36 (permalink)
    Wonder if it could be used to make Runzas? Wish we know someone who is an expert at making RUNZAs so we could ask them......
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/05 22:44:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by desertdog

Wonder if it could be used to make Runzas? Wish we know someone who is an expert at making RUNZAs so we could ask them......

Wishful thinking, eh?
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6437
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/06 14:04:22 (permalink)
    If we only knew of someone who maderunzas

hmmmmm who could that be???? Hoffman???? No.... Sundancer???? No..... NYNM???? No.... Who could it be?
    mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15302
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/06 14:57:37 (permalink)
    I've got a bunch of Blueberries and some red cabbage to put in a Runza. Wish I knew how to do it. Hmmm Anyone know a Red and Blue Runza maker?? Maybe we could get that person to help us "stuff it" !
    I saw one once, I think it was in a foodie-museum. It sure looked good !
    xannie_01
    • Total Posts : 1481
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/06 15:03:47 (permalink)
    as a matter of fact, i used it to make runzas
    the first time i saw roossy's recipe.
    it came out really well.
    i usually make calzones with it.
    roossy90
    Sirloin
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/06 18:39:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Al-The Mayor-Bowen

I've got a bunch of Blueberries and some red cabbage to put in a Runza. Wish I knew how to do it. Hmmm Anyone know a Red and Blue Runza maker?? Maybe we could get that person to help us "stuff it" !
    I saw one once, I think it was in a foodie-museum. It sure looked good !

is right..
    Al, I'll take the blueberries, but the mix?...
    No no nooooooooooooooooooooo
    "giggling like a school girl here"
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 366
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 08:45:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

Not too bad; not great, but better than any frozen pie I've ever had. it tastes like an average pizzeria crust, which is OK.

It unrolls into a rectangular pie that expands to fit a cookie sheet if you stretch it thin. The instructions call for a greased cookie sheet and an oven temp of 400*. They give you a choice of baking the crust for 9 minutes then adding the toppings and baking for 6 minutes more, or adding the toppings and baking for 15 minutes. I tried the second way, and at 15 minutes the cheese was starting to brown but the crust wasn't quite done in the center. Either use the first instructions, or start by rolling and shaping the crust on a dusted dough board and then transfer it to a heated pizza stone.

I don't want to damn it with faint praise, but I don't want to praise it with faint damns either. It makes a good pie. It doesn't make a GREAT pie. But it makes a REAL pie. You could make a better dough yourself, sure. But you could also make a worse pie by opening a frozen box. For those of us who aren't into making our own dough, this is better than frozen pizza, and better than Domino's/Caesar's/Papa's, but not as good as most quality pizzerias.

Tom

i've used this stuff, it's not bad really. i used method #2, cut the dough into 2 portions and shaped it to fit on a pair of 12" aluminum screens, baked on a preheated stone at 500F (the highest temperature my home oven will reach) about 10 minutes. fewer toppings seems to work much better with this product. definitely better than domino's best attempt....
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 09:11:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Mosca

Tom

Most stores sell fresh dough that is primarily for home made pizza. Why buy anything else? Compare the Poppin' Fresh ingredients to what is in the fresh dough. There is no contest.

If you can find fresh dough, you will not use Boboli, Pillsbury or whatever ever again. It's more fun to work with and gives you the satisfaction that you -are- making a pizza that is as close to scratch as possible.

My biggest complaint is that there is no real good pizza sauce on the market. I like to make late night tortilla pizzas and there is a jar on hand for that. I've tried a few, including a jar or two from some companies in New Haven. I would think that those were okay, but even they taste like pasta sauce.
    I have a great sauce. It's just that I am lazy and my recipe makes more than I want.

mark
    BunnySlippers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 09:24:57 (permalink)
    Of course, when I have time and enegry I adore making fresh crust and sauce from scratch, there is no comparison. But for those "late meeting-too much work-need pizza nights", the short cuts can be a lifesaver.

doggydaddy, the best prepared sauce we have found in the grocery is the Contadina brand Pizza Squeeze in the plastic bottle. Not too bad in a hurry and the plastic bottle stores nicely in the fridge for the next crisis.

Bunny
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2982
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 09:52:36 (permalink)
    marzsit, yes. Method 2. I like the idea of the screens; the hardest thing is to keep the crust from being soggy in the center, which is what happens when I use the cookie sheet. I'll try the screens next.

doggydaddy, I haven't found the fresh dough, I found this while looking for that. But I didn't ask, next time I will.
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 10:04:18 (permalink)
    No fresh dough available in my area either. Have tried the Pillsbury thing in the past also, with no positive things to say about it. At one time or the other in the past I have convinced my local Domino's to GIVE me a fresh dough patty or three. Since then, though, their recipe changed and that is not chewy enough for me. My only salvation has been to make my own french bread pizza. Sometimes I take the Stouffer's brand of same and use that as a starting point. My preferred toppings list is rather complex, and since I have already posted my recipe on the forum earlier I will not do so again.
    Heartburn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 126
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 11:13:06 (permalink)
    I've purchased fresh dough at Public markets here in Florida.
    You find it in the fresh bakery department.
    You have to ask for it
    desertdog
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 11:14:18 (permalink)

If you have a Trader Joe's in your area, try their pre-made dough. It is absolutely outstanding. It comes in white, wheat and herb.

Here's a visual:

Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 13:16:33 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Heartburn

I've purchased fresh dough at Public markets here in Florida.
    You find it in the fresh bakery department.
    You have to ask for it

I have a Publix in my work city. I will check out ASAP. Alas, many things I have found in Florida's Publix are not available in mine, despite that the Florida state line is but a short 20 miles or so away. I remain confused.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/11 13:31:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BunnySlippers

doggydaddy, the best prepared sauce we have found in the grocery is the Contadina brand Pizza Squeeze in the plastic bottle. Not too bad in a hurry and the plastic bottle stores nicely in the fridge for the next crisis.

Bunny

I've been making my own sauce, but 2 or 3 pizzas ago I tried the Contadina in the can.. Tastes good! Stuff is slightly chunky and much quicker! I'll probably stick with this product until they screw it up!
    essemjay58
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 134
    RE: Pillsbury's "poppin' fresh" pizza crust 2007/02/14 00:26:36 (permalink)
    I really like the Mama Mary's pizza crusts. They are similar to Boboli, only better, and cheaper.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1