Pineapple Pizza, yes or no?

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 10:09:05 (permalink)
quote:
Hamburger on a pizza? hmmmm....

Oh yeah UncleVic - My dads favorite is hamburger/canadian bacon. One of my favorites is hamburger/bacon/ham with a hot sauce added to the pizza sauce.

That's what I love about pizza - the variety is endless.
scbuzz
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 844
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 11:17:31 (permalink)
I only like cheese (and lots of it) and pepperoni on my thin crust (the only style I like) pizza !!

Occassionaly I MIGHT add some black olives, onions, mushrooms and anchovies
Theedge
  • Total Posts : 1196
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 11:45:11 (permalink)
As far as other odd toppings I almost forgot sauerkraut with sausage, also very good.
arnisarn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 22
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 12:16:10 (permalink)
This thread has made me remember my favorite pizza place... from MANY (too many) years ago. When my husband and I first got married and had no money, the place we could afford and adored was Pizza Inn in Lawrence, KS. It served great Italian food at reasonable prices, was always crowded, and was one place near the KU campus where town and gown met. We always waited for the 2 for 1 coupons to come out and almost always had a hamburger/mushroom/onion pizza and what was called the Lefthanders' Special which was a shrimp/black olive pizza. We thought we were very daring!! Also have to admit that we like anchovie/mushroom and pineapple/bacon/onion pizza!!
BT
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3589
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 13:18:26 (permalink)
My personal preference in pizza is the simpler the better. I like thin crust, not too much cheese and a spicey/herby sauce. And I usually get mine without any other toppings--but rarely I get pepperoni or anchovie (in spite of the Italian cheese/fish curse).

Regarding the origin, I always sort of thought it evolved from focaccia.

Pineapple seems wrong to me because of the combination of the extremely savory with the cloyingly sweet taste of pineapple. There are, indeed, a few examples of sweet and savory going together--e.g. sweet/hot mustard. In fact, I like the combo of sweet and hot, but not sweet and herby.
renfrew
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 696
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 13:49:02 (permalink)
Never had it, but not absolutely adverse to trying it. Food should be open. Acknowledge the traditional and revel in it, but also try stuff first.
Lone Star
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 13:51:20 (permalink)
This site makes a little pineapple on pizza seem very tame

http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

And I believe bacon and egg is the #1 favorite in Australia.
Grampy
  • Total Posts : 1559
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 14:01:53 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Lone Star

This site makes a little pineapple on pizza seem very tame

http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html

And I believe bacon and egg is the #1 favorite in Australia.

"Ideal Taste of Sea Goodness and Mayonnaise!" on pizza. Now, that's livin'!
sweetgherkin
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 88
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 22:25:50 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by cleveland66

The local (read: north Louisiana only) pizza place, Johnny's, offers a pie with ham & pineapple called the Maui Wowie. While not my cup of tea, the name makes me laugh (for less than above board reasons).

I prefer my pizza to be cheese only, but, time to time, I'll eat one with pepperoni.

Wanna see some bizarre pies? check it out:

http://www.pieworks.com

oh my... on the list of ingredients they show "Beans, Jelly" as a vegetable.

oops, I forgot to answer the question. Pineapple - yes please, with green peppers, onions and extra cheese.

Maynerd
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 256
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 22:41:29 (permalink)
I have a friend from Brazil where they use yellow mustard as a dip with their pizza. I tried it and it's not too bad.
Art Deco
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 890
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/27 10:36:06 (permalink)
I can tolerate pineapple on pizza, particularly if it is paired with the right meats (ham, canadian bacon, etc..). My wife and daughter love this combination. As far as traditional versus newfangled, my philosophy (with apologies to Peter Schickele, as this is adapted from his philosophy toward music) is "if it tastes good, it IS good"...
gatorbreath
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 105
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/27 12:57:22 (permalink)
Does pineapple marinara sound good to you...? If you really consider what pizza is, or has become, the subject question becomes moot. Pizza is fundamentally a foundation (crust), a base (sauce), and whatever toppings. Match them in the proper combinations and they can be exceptional or extraordinary. Mess up the combinations and they can be disatrous or awful. Pineapple matched with a traditional tomato sauce and any type of crust and toppings, to me sounds bad. Pineapple and tomato don't go together in my mind or my mouth. However, pineapple with thick sliced Canadian Bacon on a slightly sweet barbecue sauce with a light cheese on whatever type of crust gets my taste buds thinking good thoughts. One of the best pizzas, and certainly the first dessert pizza I ever had was nearly thirty years ago. It consisted of a thin crust topped with a thin caramel sauce, apples, and cinnamon. Yummmmm! Put tomato sace on it and YUCK!!! Bottom line here is, as with most everything, some people will like pineapple marinara, but a lot of people won't. Yet, all are free to do and choose as we please because we live in a place where we do celebrate "Roadfood" and don't have to rely on roadkill. Please vote next week!
backfrmIraq
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 73
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 12:20:46 (permalink)
Picklefish Pizza in Mobile has a great pineapple, ham and I think pepperoni pizza called the Islander.....good stuff
Ashphalt
  • Total Posts : 1644
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 13:08:58 (permalink)
I had a roommate from Denver at college in Boston. He made a "Hawaiian" pizza once. Had to transfer back to state school.

Just to begin, the following is a non-inclusive list of things that do not belong on pizza: pineapple, chicken, american ham, american bacon, canadian bacon, barbecue sauce, barbecue chicken, barbecue pork, salmon, guacamole, salsa, jalapenos, "taco" or "chipotle"-anything, Spam, Velveeta, anything made by Kraft, bologna, anything made by Oscar Mayer, tofu, ginger, wasabi, "rooster sauce," nuoc mam, hoisin, Slim Jims, pork rinds, Ben & Jerry's, Cool Whip, M&Ms.

Just because it tastes good doesn't make it right. And it doesn't make it a pizza. You wouldn't mix romaine, parmesan, croutons, a crappy chemical-based vinaigrette and some dried-up stale chicken and call it a caesar salad, now would you!?

Now as for bagels...
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18872
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 13:34:15 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ashphalt

I had a roommate from Denver at college in Boston. He made a "Hawaiian" pizza once. Had to transfer back to state school.

Just to begin, the following is a non-inclusive list of things that do not belong on pizza: pineapple, chicken, american ham, american bacon, canadian bacon, barbecue sauce, barbecue chicken, barbecue pork, salmon, guacamole, salsa, jalapenos, "taco" or "chipotle"-anything, Spam, Velveeta, anything made by Kraft, bologna, anything made by Oscar Mayer, tofu, ginger, wasabi, "rooster sauce," nuoc mam, hoisin, Slim Jims, pork rinds, Ben & Jerry's, Cool Whip, M&Ms.

Just because it tastes good doesn't make it right. And it doesn't make it a pizza. You wouldn't mix romaine, parmesan, croutons, a crappy chemical-based vinaigrette and some dried-up stale chicken and call it a caesar salad, now would you!?

Now as for bagels...

Now you're in for it. There are people hanging around here who seem to love tomato pies with pineapple and barbeque sauce and all those other things that don't belong on them. But, it's your turn in the barrel. Enjoy it.
saps
  • Total Posts : 1565
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 13:39:00 (permalink)
quote:

Now as for bagels...

Just because it tastes good, doesn't make it right? So, if you like it, you shouldn't eat it? That's ludicrous.

When I was in Rome last year, we had pizza with potatoes on it. It was excellent. We didn't order it, it was handed to us.

On Capri, pizza with fresh prawns was outstanding.

The first guy who put sausage on a pizza was probably treated as a heretic. Same with the first guy who put cheese on a hamburger.

Different foods just didn't suddenly appear on the scene. What we view as "the norm" today was probably pretty radical back then. if you like it, eat it. If you want to keep a closed mind, that's fine too. Just don't dictate to others what belongs and what doesn't. If you're going to think that way, just stick to Pizza Hut.

howard8
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 355
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 14:12:52 (permalink)
Pineapple on pizza, Hell no.
I do not like the mix. Savory with
sweet is not to my taste. How about
sprinkling M&M's on pizza or why not just
break up a Clark bar and add it to the pie.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2217
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 15:13:24 (permalink)
quote:

Now as for bagels...

If everyone was as close-minded about trying new things as you and Hoffman seem to be, none of us would even be eating tomato pies today since tomatoes were considered poisonous in this country as late as the early 19th century.   pb
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 15:45:07 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:

If everyone was as close-minded about trying new things as you and Hoffman seem to be, none of us would even be eating tomato pies today since tomatoes were considered poisonous in this country as late as the early 19th century.   pb

I try new things often. What I don't try are combinations such as jello and pork lo mein, poached eggs on turkey, corned beef hash and octopus, anchovies and chocolate-covered cherries, pineapple on apizza or porkbeaks and Kix.
Kiowa1
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 189
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 15:50:18 (permalink)
Pepperoni, mushrooms & onions on my pizza... Pineapple-upsidedown cake for dessert...
porkbeaks
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 16:52:38 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

quote:

I try new things often. What I don't try are combinations such as jello and pork lo mein, poached eggs on turkey, corned beef hash and octopus, anchovies and chocolate-covered cherries, pineapple on apizza or porkbeaks and Kix.

Now you're just being silly.
Ashphalt
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 17:11:40 (permalink)
Was wondering if a tongue-in-cheek response would get a rise, or would just get the list of forbidden items going (and I'd like to see that, too.)

Yes we Americans are adventurous with food, sometimes out of creativity (and availability) and sometimes out of convenience (and necessity). So we love to screw around with dishes if they are someone else's. Sometimes the results are something new and extraordinary. And out of some need for familiarity (and sometimes marketing) we like to call it something known But if it's "ours" God help you for desecrating it.

I think that at some point a dish stops being the item it was based on. I have seen recipes for Neapolitain potato pies that are not called pizzas. But here in the U.S. if it has a starch base, whether it be flatbread or rice cakes, and a topping it's called a pizza.

I've seen threads and postings here declaring that chili is not chili with beans (or without), that in some areas you may be shot for asking for ketchup on a hot dog, that a country ham is never glazed, and so on.

I make a stew of pinto beans, green peppers, Italian sausage and tomatoes seasoned with cumin. Cheap good eating. My Wife's In-laws say that at home in Bavaria, that's chili except they use white beans and local pork sausage. So, because in Bavaria they make chili with white beans, pork sausage and cumin, that's chili, right?

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 17:50:50 (permalink)
quote:

I've seen threads and postings here declaring that chili is not chili with beans (or without), that in some areas you may be shot for asking for ketchup on a hot dog, that a country ham is never glazed, and so on.

Please refresh my memory. Where has anything been posted saying that country ham is never glazed?
porkbeaks
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 19:47:47 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

Please refresh my memory. Where has anything been posted saying that country ham is never glazed?

He may have been referring to this thread
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10922
where you stated, "I've never heard of glazing a country ham, and I'd suggest that you not treat it or serve it as you would a regular ham."
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 20:24:26 (permalink)
quote:

quote:

quote:

He may have been referring to this thread
http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10922
where you stated, "I've never heard of glazing a country ham, and I'd suggest that you not treat it or serve it as you would a regular ham."

Ah, then I repeat: I've not read anything from anyone saying that a country ham is never glazed.
Greymo
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3751
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/30 20:33:08 (permalink)
quote:

I make a stew of pinto beans, green peppers, Italian sausage and tomatoes seasoned with cumin. Cheap good eating. My Wife's In-laws say that at home in Bavaria, that's chili except they use white beans and local pork sausage. So, because in Bavaria they make chili with white beans, pork sausage and cumin, that's chili, right?

Sounds like a pretty decent half A++ chili to me!
Ashphalt
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/31 00:15:21 (permalink)
Mr. Hoffman,

Thanks for keeping me precise.

I hope I am not wrong on the chili or hot dog and ketchup references.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/31 02:17:12 (permalink)
When in college, I almost always ordered some version of Canadian Bacon and Pineapple pizza, a staple in the pizza places in Salem, Oregon at the time. Don't like them as much now.
roossy90
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6695
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/31 17:29:23 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BT

My personal preference in pizza is the simpler the better. I like thin crust, not too much cheese and a spicey/herby sauce. And I usually get mine without any other toppings--but rarely I get pepperoni or anchovie (in spite of the Italian cheese/fish curse).

Regarding the origin, I always sort of thought it evolved from focaccia.

Pineapple seems wrong to me because of the combination of the extremely savory with the cloyingly sweet taste of pineapple. There are, indeed, a few examples of sweet and savory going together--e.g. sweet/hot mustard. In fact, I like the combo of sweet and hot, but not sweet and herby.

Hear hear!.. Thats the way I like it, no toppings, maybe sometimes tomato, or just even a Marghetita pizza..
But pineapple?.. NO!
Beer&Snausages
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 418
RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2005/12/31 18:36:47 (permalink)
Here's a menu from Pizza Hut in Japan. I wonder what a Mayo Q is?
The Korean Purukogi is Mayonnaise, onion, Korean barbecue (beef), nira (green leafy vegetable with garlic-like pungent smell) and hot red pepper!!

http://www.pizzahut.jp/menu/

Here is a semi-complete list of typical, everyday, normal pizza toppings that Japanese do not think is odd in the least:

Squid
Salmon
Dried Flakes Of Fish
Green Asparagus
Broccoli
Eel (that's it! there went lunch!)
Spiced Ginger
Kimchi
Dried Fish Flakes
Corn
Mayonnaise
Spaghetti