Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
senor boogie woogie
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 239
2004/10/25 14:25:11 (permalink)

Pineapple Pizza, yes or no?

Hola!

Senor in China. I went to a "make your own pizza" party at my American friend's house. Good theme party. I have never rolled dough, so I had no clue.

A nice woman I met at the party was an Italian/American. She dressed her pizza dough and made the comment that pineapple should not be on a pizza. I did not contest her on the issue, but whispered to a friend that I like pineapple on a pizza. To her, pineapple on a pizza is new age, something a stoned hippie thought up.

To me, pizza is a democracy. Pizza was invented in America, not Italy. it is OK to put anything on the dough in my opinion. I asked her if she ever had any Memphis BBQ pizza. She has not.BBQ pulled pork on a pie with sauce. Very good. In Asia, I have had pizza with corn and peas. I like the corn (even dry) but not peas. In China, I would like to put Beijing duck meat, with lamb, vegetables, goats cheese and a light spicy tomato sauce. I have had shrimp on pizza (not good, but not bad either). it does not matter really. Pizza is an international dish and people tend to put on the crust their representitive foods.

Questions:

1.) What do you think should never be on a pizza? I'm a pizza libertarian, if its good, put it on. The combos are almost infinite. If you like oranges, bananas, chocolate and Chef Bo Ardi cheese on your pie, that's your choice. Not mine, yours.

2.) Ever eaten any local pizza with weird things on them?

3.) Ever eaten a pizza outside of the USA? Any good? Actually my friend and I discovered a good pizza place here. Most pizza is bland, and frankly they steal the Pizza Hut recipe. I and my friend had tobasco and Kraft Parmisian Cheese at the ready, but no help was needed. This comes from a society that screws up foreign food.

4.) What do you like on your pizza? (Easiest questions)

Senor

94 Replies Related Threads

cedwin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 63
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 15:30:05 (permalink)
    senor boogie woogie,

1) I really don't like pineapple on a pizza, but I think people are really polarized about that. Ditto for any vegetables except onions, peppers, mushrooms or tomato pieces.

2) The worst pizza I ever had was in New Jersey, a great place normally for pizza, that was covered in garlic chunks. Really unbalanced and really unpleasant.

3) Had a pizza in England that was just "off". Dough was too chewy, sauce was too sweet, and the cheese was too sparse.

4) Sausage and onion are my favorites
    emsmom
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 955
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 16:06:19 (permalink)
    My favorite is with a thin crust-On my pizza, I like extra cheese,
    red onion, ground beef and mushrooms.
    My sisters family swears by Ham and Pineapple pizza.
    The only thing I will not eat on pizza is anchovies.
    I can take just about anything else if I have to.
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 16:20:32 (permalink)
    Hola back at ya!

Pizza was invented in Naples not in the US. Pizza in Italy is very different from what you find in the US with the exception of pizza in Sicily which is extremely similar to pizza here.

1. I'm half Italian and the thought of pineapple on pizza offends my senses! Blech! Also anchovies; no fish with cheese! In Italy when they put anchovies on pizza there is no cheese on it.

2. Los Angeles is home to the BBQ Chicken pizza and I have to admit I've eaten a few of those. Also, I had a slice of a BLT pizza - a cheese, bacon, and fresh tomato pizza, no sauce, with an iceberg lettuce salad with a mayo based dressing on top.

3. Have had pizza in Italy (Palermo, Rome, Florence, Milano) but not in Naples. Here in LA there are some guys from Naples who have opened restaurants and the pizzas are usually very good.

4. Mushrooms, fresh tomatoes, basil. Now in my old age I like pepperoni with pepperoncini.

meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 16:21:33 (permalink)
    Um...I wonder if the people in Naples know pizza was "invented in America"?

Actually--pizza was concocted in Italy. From The Food Lover's Companion:

pizza
    [PEET-suh]
    Made popular in the United States by soldiers who brought the idea back from Italy at the end of World War II, pizza is thought to have evolved from early Egyptian flat bread. Literally translated, the word means "pie," but it has come to represent a round savory tart made with a crisp yeast dough covered with tomato sauce, mozzzrella cheese and other ingredients such as peppers, onions, Italian sausage, mushrooms, anchovies and pepperoni. Variations such as deep-dish pizza, with its thick breadlike crust, have been popular over the years. Many menus now feature pizzas sans tomato sauce and mozzarella cheese. They're topped instead with ingredients such as sun-dried tomatoes, duck sausage, fresh basil, smoked salmon, goat cheese or wild mushrooms.

plb
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1036
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 16:38:05 (permalink)
    The first pizza I had that had pineapple on it was in Hawaii. I still like it once in a while.
    There is a regional chain of pizza places (Pizza King / Sir Pizza) headquartered in my home town that specializes in pizzas with barbeque sauce. Still one of my favorites.
    California Pizza Kitchen has pretty good Peking duck pizza.
    mtbuckingham
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 65
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 17:08:51 (permalink)
    Hate hate hate pineapple on pizza. Blech.
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 17:25:45 (permalink)
    I love pineapple on pizza.. used to get a meatball and pineapple...now I like just pineapple and cheese.. but my current fave topping combo is feta, tomatoes, artichoke hearts, and pesto.
    garykg6
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 358
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 18:09:16 (permalink)
    pineapple on pizza?........enjoy yourself! One suggestion though,if ordering it in certain Brooklyn neighborhoods,stay away from the front window and make sure your health insurance is adequate
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 18:19:02 (permalink)
    I thought I wouldnt like pineapples on a pizza until I tried it... Dlx. pizza with pineapple and banana peppers is heaven!
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 18:20:17 (permalink)
    PS... I thought the pizza was originally from Mexico... Not joking either...
    Hode
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 153
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 18:21:29 (permalink)
    My standard pizza is pineapple and pepperoni. The sweet goes with the salt.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2314
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 18:35:36 (permalink)
    When I attended U Hawaii long ago, a place called Anna Banana's sold a lot of peanut butter and pineapple pizzas.
    zussers
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 232
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 19:02:38 (permalink)
    Senor, I'm not a fan of pineapple on pizza! But I do like your attitude towards pizza! If you like it, put it on!
    hungovergourmet
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 188
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 19:47:23 (permalink)
    Pizza with pineapple and candian bacon -- I think the place I used to get it in West Philly (The Roost) called it Hawaiian Pizza. Now my wife makes it at home about once a month and it's one of my favorites!
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 20:01:20 (permalink)
    One of my all-time favorites has been pineapple, canadian bacon, and jalapenos.

There's a new pizza place in Round Rock called Rockin' Tomato that serves a super-thin crust pizza, and one of their "signature" pizzas is called Aloha Baby. They have a really tasty sauce, and this one is topped with fresh mozzarella, canadian bacon, pineapple, almond slivers, jalapenos, and grated parmesan.

I'm sure this will make Michael Hoffman want to puke, but at least it's not cut into little squares...
    Adjudicator
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5066
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 20:20:07 (permalink)
    As far as I am concerned... Hey! It's your pizza. Have it they way YOU want it! Pineapple or not. Broccoli or not. Chittlin's or not. Lutefisk or not. You ordered/made it that way. Go for the gusto!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 20:51:12 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

To me, pizza is a democracy. Pizza was invented in America, not Italy.

quote:
    First, I do not think pineapple on a tomato pie is a good thing. I first ran into it in New Jersey in the 1950s. I didn't think it was a good idea then, I have not changed my mind.
    Second, it was not invented in America. While pizza-like food goes back to the Egyptians and beyond, the first pizza, or, apizza, as it was called (and still is in certain parts of the United States, including my house in Ohio), and Italy came from Naples in the 1800s, when a Neopolitan baker named Raffaele Esposito created a dish for visiting royalty.Italian monarch King Umberto and his consort, Queen Margherita were touring the area. In order to impress them and to show his patriotic fervor Raffaele chose to top flat bread with food that would best represent the colors of Italy: red tomato, white mozzarella cheese and green basil.

Apizza was brought to the United States in the early 20th century, first to New York and then to New haven, Connecticut where they still make the finest example of the tomato pie.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18652
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 20:53:27 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Bushie

One of my all-time favorites has been pineapple, canadian bacon, and jalapenos.

There's a new pizza place in Round Rock called Rockin' Tomato that serves a super-thin crust pizza, and one of their "signature" pizzas is called Aloha Baby. They have a really tasty sauce, and this one is topped with fresh mozzarella, canadian bacon, pineapple, almond slivers, jalapenos, and grated parmesan.

I'm sure this will make Michael Hoffman want to puke, but at least it's not cut into little squares...

It doesn't make me want to puke. It does cause me to wonder why anyone would call it pizza.
    Theedge
    • Total Posts : 1196
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 22:06:31 (permalink)
    I order up a thin crust ham, canadian bacon and pineapple pizza at least every other week. I load it down with pizza peppers. Yum!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 22:34:36 (permalink)
    Ok, hamburger, bacon, sausage, ham, pepperoni, extra sauce and cheese.

Dennis
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/25 22:53:49 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by DLnWPBrown

Ok, hamburger, bacon, sausage, ham, pepperoni, extra sauce and cheese.

Dennis

Hamburger on a pizza? hmmmm....
    The Travelin Man
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3759
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 00:04:21 (permalink)
    I like pineapple on most anything -- especially my own stir-fry, but not at all on pizza.

I am also in the hamburger/meatball crowd. I think it is a little less greasy than the pepperoni (which I like - just prefer the least amount of grease, when possible).

Steve
    DinoS
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 128
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 00:19:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

When I attended U Hawaii long ago, a place called Anna Banana's sold a lot of peanut butter and pineapple pizzas.

What, no Spam?

4.) Pepperoni, bulk sausage, and thin crust is mine.

Dino
    ericats
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 112
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 00:59:31 (permalink)
    Of all the things that one could put on a pizza why a pineapple? What are some other weird things that you've seen on a pizza? At Casa Bianca in Los Angeles they have fried eggplant (my mom got it once and it wasn't bad) and a long time ago there used to be this chain in LA called Josephina's that had these stuffed pizzas and if you got the works it had avocado on it - it was actually quite good.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 01:14:29 (permalink)
    I cant beleive that all you folks that i thought were reasonable human beings would stoop to pineapple on pizza!!!!NO NO NO!!!my God! thats even lower then ketchup on hot dogs!!!" />----come to think of it---wasnt THAT a forum that Senor started too!!!!Senor Boogie Woogie indeed---who is this trouble maker really!!!!
    6star
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4388
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 02:07:01 (permalink)
    I wouldn't put pineapple on pizza, because I don't care for pineapple on anything unless it is teamed with coconut (as in pina colada). However another rather unusual topping is served at Happy Joe's Pizza & Ice Cream Parlor (a midwest chain) on their signature pizza. It is sauerkraut teamed with Canadian bacon.....and that combination is delicious.
    Wallyum
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 627
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 04:19:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by senor boogie woogie

2.) Ever eaten any local pizza with weird things on them?
    Saurkraut, and it was amazingly good. At one time there was a small place across town called Germantown Pizza and I believe that this was where I tried it. TJ, if you're lurking out there, does this ring a bell with you? It would have been somewhere close to my "favorite" BBQ place, The Retching Post. Ring a bell?

4.) What do you like on your pizza? (Easiest questions)
    It's easier to answer with what I don't like. Earthworms. Dirt. Anchovies, and I could eat them in a pinch. Green peppers and onions because they cause a colonic tornado. Other than that, I'm up for most anything.

Senor
    cleveland66
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 129
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 09:07:38 (permalink)
    The local (read: north Louisiana only) pizza place, Johnny's, offers a pie with ham & pineapple called the Maui Wowie. While not my cup of tea, the name makes me laugh (for less than above board reasons).

I prefer my pizza to be cheese only, but, time to time, I'll eat one with pepperoni.

Wanna see some bizarre pies? check it out:

http://www.pieworks.com
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Pineapple Pizza, yes or no? 2004/10/26 09:13:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cleveland66

The local (read: north Louisiana only) pizza place, Johnny's, offers a pie with ham & pineapple called the Maui Wowie. While not my cup of tea, the name makes me laugh (for less than above board reasons).

I prefer my pizza to be cheese only, but, time to time, I'll eat one with pepperoni.

Wanna see some bizarre pies? check it out:

http://www.pieworks.com

And look at these

http://www.chachich.com/mdchachi/jpizza.html
    Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1