Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
desertdog
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1946
2007/09/24 21:46:40 (permalink)

Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics

Another welcome trip up to Pinetop in the White Mountains of Arizona this past weekend. My older daughter had a high school cross-country meet in Pinetop so I took my youngest daughter up on Friday night to stay the weekend.

We arrived early evening after about a 2 1/2 hour drive from Fountain Hills, (HWY 87 north to Payson, HWY 260 east to Pinetop) ,and were in the mood for something a little different for dinner.

I had heard about the Munich Haus for quite some time, and, having lived in Germany for a number of years, decided we would give that a try.

http://www.munichhausrestaurant.com/#

We chose to sit outside on the patio which overlooked a small lake and a nice forest behind. Although the evening was cool, we really enjoyed sitting in the fresh air for dinner.

The Munich Haus has plenty of traditional German fare, as well as some nice German Bier on tap, so I tried out the Warsteiner Oktoberfest bier to get started.

The waitress brought out some nice fresh-baked bread, rolls and butter to start with. I ended up ordering the Wienerschnitzel with a Jaegersauce, along with Spaetzle and Potato Salad. My daughter simply ordered two BIG pretzels and wanted struedel for dessert….

The meal came with soup or salad, I decided to try the soup of the day, which was a German Sausage Soup – Bratwuerst Sausage, Potatoes and caraway seeds in a light, creamy broth. It was outstanding!

Shortly after finishing the soup, the entrée arrived. I was quite impressed with the portion size and upon trying the meat, was completely satisfied. The potato salad and spaetzle were also quite tasty, making this a very satisfying meal.

A Jaeger sauce is basically a creamy mushroom sauce, and although is “Jaegerschnitzel” was a bit different from how I remember it in Der Vaterland, it was still delicious.

We got back to the condo afterwards and after a little talking and TV, we hit the sack.

The next morning we headed over to MAMA BEAR’S CAFÉ for a little breakfast.

I was here last time and was very impressed with the Mama Bear Scramble, getting it with Chorizo. This time I decided on the Papa Bear which turned out to be 3 eggs, 3 sausages, hash browns, two pancakes and a side of biscuits and gravy! OMG, that was a lot of food.

I got through less than half before I called it quits. The sausage was very good, as were the flapjacks, eggs were cooked right and the hash browns had a nice crispiness to them. The biscuit was decent but the gravy was really not what I expected. I’ll pass on that in the future.

My daughter had the sweet roll, which came with butter, she referred to it as “yummmmy!”

Needing to walk off breakfast, we headed over to Greer (HWY 260 east from Pinetop to HWY 373 south) for a nice morning hike, enjoying the fall-like weather and fresh pine scented air. We ended up hiking for a little over 2 hours, thoroughly enjoying the sights and sounds of the forest.

We went back to our condo to get some things together, then went over to the lake to get ready to watch my oldest daughter run her race. She had traveled up that morning with the team, and called about 11:30 am that they had made it and were stretching and getting warmed up.

Her’s was the first race of the day, so we needed to get over there, stopping by Eddie’s Country Store for something to drink and a little to nibble on. They were busy roasting peppers as well, so in addition to a half rack of ribs, I grabbed some freshly roasted Hatch Chiles to take home.

Once we got over to the lake, we found a picnic table close to where the team would be running, and proceeded to eat our way through the ribs. They were very good, with the meat falling away with just a bit of a tug. I noticed that they did not remove the membrane before grilling, I prefer mine either scored or removed altogether. Anyway, they hit the spot for a light lunch, sure beats McDonalds…..

The race started and off ran the JV girls, many of them from the Phoenix area struggling with the elevation. Pinetop is at 7600 feet, a big difference from home where it is just above 1000 feet.

My daughter did well in the race, coming in first on her team, 19th overall. The Native American teams from the White Mountain areas always kick butt at this event, so I was pretty proud of my girl and how well she did under the circumstances.

She stayed with the team, and I took my youngest off towards the Petrified Forest. It has been years since I was there, and she had never been, so it was time for a little science and history lesson.

It is quite interesting how the landscape changes within a few miles. Heading north out of the Pinetop area, (HWY 260 west to HWY 60 east to HWY 77 north) once north of the town of Show Low the Pine Trees disappear and the open prairie and the Colorado Plateau emerges. This area was, and still is to an extent, cattle and farming land.

We drove through the town of Snowflake, settled by the Mormons over a century ago. The name is mis-leading…instead of being a winter wonderland, it has historically been a farming community, named after the first settlers - Erastus Snow and William Flake.

We continued on until we arrived in Holbrook, the famous Route 66 town, where one can still over-night in a “Tee-Pee” hotel room!

We jumped on the I-40 east out of Holbrook to the exit for the Petrified Forest. Entering into the north side, the scenic drive first takes you up to an overlook of the Painted Desert.

http://www.nps.gov/pefo/

Dropping down south of the freeway, there are several pullouts and side roads displaying different aspects of the park. Newspaper Rock is covered with hundreds of petroglyths, dating as far back as 1200 years.

Blue Mesa is a fascinating 1 mile walk through the badlands of the Petrified Forest. Mineral deposits and clay layers form amazing multi-colored cones, with petrified wood strewn throughout the area. A very interesting walk.

After a few more stops we ended up at the south gate to the park, stopping off at the Museum for a last look at some very impressive petrified logs, including this one, the largest in the park.

My daughter is fascinated with geology and “pretty rocks”, so this was lots of fun for her. During the drive we also got the chance to talk a lot…she is a very inquisitive kid, and that makes trips like this fun. No complaining or whining, just a genuine excitement to see something new.

Back in Pinetop, we got cleaned up, then headed down to Charlie Clarks. I don’t know why I keep going back to this place, the steaks are, as I was to be reminded again tonight, very mediocre.

The appetizers are mostly very good, the place has lots of people having fun, but for a place that is supposed to be known for their steaks, they do a fairly poor job.

I ordered the Center Cut Rib-Eye again tonight, hoping last time was an aberration….although it was cooked as I requested (medium rare) it just did not have that juicy, soft texture that one expects from a rib-eye.

I have talked to others that say that Charlie Clarks has lost what it used to have. The place is always busy, usually on a wait on weekends, but I don’t know what people are ordering that keeps them coming back. $26 for a mediocre steak is not my idea of a good time.

My daughter’s chicken fingers were good as were the fries. The menu says that you can order the Steak “Clark Style” with a Chile Relleno on the side, I did that and was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

I woke up in the middle of the night to thunder and lightning, then a down pour of rain. The clouds were threatening the whole afternoon at the Petrified Forest, and it looks like we were finally getting something from them.

The next morning the rain had stopped, but the clouds still hung low and gray. After a quick visit to Starbucks, we decided to head back to Phoenix, although taking a different route through the Fort Apache Indian Reservation to Globe (HWY 77/60 South), then into Mesa before getting to Fountain Hills.

The drive through the reservation is beautiful, with pine forest and rocky crags, we saw deer along the way even though it was hunting season. (Does must know they aren’t hunted) As we got to the southern edge of the reservation, we started the decent into the Salt River Canyon.

This is really the highlight of this route, an unbelievable chasm cut deep by the waters of the high country over millions of years. At the bottom of the Canyon the road cuts across the river by way of a bridge. A new bridge has recently been built, and the planners smartly left the old bridge as a pedestrian overlook.

We stopped to use the bathrooms and had a bit of a look around. Storm clouds were threatening again, so we took off back up and out of the canyon, getting rained on as we worked our way to the south side of the canyon.

We got into Globe around lunch time and happened upon Judy’s Cook House. The place was busy with lots of Pick-ups out front (always a good sign) so in we went.

Breakfast was obviously a popular item here, even at lunch time. We decided to order off the lunch menu, my daughter getting a pizza off the kids menu, while I ordered the Green Chile Cheese Burger.

The burger was juicy and the pepper had just the right zing to it, with melted pepper jack cheese oozing everywhere. I ordered the burger medium, but there was no visible pink as I had hoped, still a very above average burger. (Hey, the burger fit the bun! Always a plus in my book.)

This looks like the place to stop if you happen to be passing through Globe and need a good bite to eat.

Onward from Globe, we headed towards Superior, enjoying the beautiful ride through Devil’s Canyon and Apache Leap. As we started to hit the flat lands past Superior we came upon the Boyce Thompson Arboretum, nestled up against Picket post Mountain.

I have been wanting to check this place out for years now, and, since my daughter was up for it, we decided to stop in and have a look around.

http://arboretum.ag.arizona.edu/

The Arboretum is a botanists dream come true. Plants from all over the world are represented here, with trails that take you through a beautiful canyon of flora and fauna. The weather had changed quite a bit from earlier, it was now 76 degrees and sunny, perfect for a walk through the garden.

This turned out to be one of my favorite trips. My daughter was a great travel companion, enthusiastic about seeing and doing whatever came along. We got to see some amazing things and took the time to get to know each other a little better. They don’t stay young forever…..

31 Replies Related Threads

andrew61083
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 01:10:39 (permalink)
    You, my friend, take beautiful pictures. This is the first trip report I've seen (in my short time here ) where pictures of the food took a backseat. That looked like an amazing trip.
    EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4074
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 02:43:39 (permalink)
    Great pictures and report as usual. gotta love any place that calls itself "Cook House"! And congrats to your daughter on her fine track performance!
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 07:05:54 (permalink)
    Great photos and report! You do a fantastic job of making a simple weekend trip in to a wonderful journey. I stayed at that TeePee Motel 35 years ago or so, amazed to see it still stands! Thank you for your report!
    John A
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4295
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 07:22:10 (permalink)
    Great job DD, looks like you have that new camera dialed in. A pat on the back to your daughters, oldest one for the race, youngest for willing to put up with dad for two days.
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8480
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 08:13:17 (permalink)
    What a beautiful part of the country.And I so appreciate seeing it thru your eyes.Thanks.
    LegalLady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 404
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 08:24:34 (permalink)
    BEAUTIFUL Desert Dog!!! Daughter & Pictures both!

LL
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 08:41:50 (permalink)
    Wow.Reading your postings and looking at your photos is like reading an issue of ARIZONA HIGHWAYS magazine. Your photos have done much to exemplify the varied beauty of your state and they are always a pleasure to view.
    RibDog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 593
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 09:21:12 (permalink)
    Very nice, DD. Thanks for sharing!

john
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 10:03:07 (permalink)

Great report that has whetted my appetite to move to the southwest. I have property in Las Lunas, New Mexico that probably resembles Snowflake. I have yet to see it, but I don't care.*** I'll park a RV in what is probably similar ranchland along with the sheep, cows, snakes and coyotes. It is your photos that make me want to do it.

What I find interesting about you is that when I read the current trip report on Berlin, you've been there too. Is there anywhere you haven't been to, but want to visit? In my mind, I see you in Japan.

mark

P.S.***Do any N.M. members have any clue about this area? I have checked into this spot, but basically been told that the best way to find it requires a 4X4, jug of water and a cell phone...!!!!
    SassyGritsAL
    • Total Posts : 1089
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/25 11:46:53 (permalink)
    desertdog, how lucky you were to spend such great times with your beautiful daughter. I'm sure she enjoyed spending the same with you. What wonderful, vibrent pictures. The scenery is stunning. Hope to see some more like these soon.

Also, great descriptions of the food you ate. What true RoadFood you had.
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 00:18:42 (permalink)
    Beautiful pics and descriptions, thanks so much for sharing, DD! I especially enjoyed the up-close shots at the arboretum; you really do have a good eye for that, congrats.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5092
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 00:56:44 (permalink)
    Wow! What a great report. With beautiful pictures and an insightful commentary too. I'm sure your (younger) daughter will remember this trip many, many years from now. You appear to be a most wonderful parent with a fine, loving family.
    You are to be commended.
    desertdog
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 08:32:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

Great report that has whetted my appetite to move to the southwest. I have property in Las Lunas, New Mexico that probably resembles Snowflake. I have yet to see it, but I don't care.*** I'll park a RV in what is probably similar ranchland along with the sheep, cows, snakes and coyotes. It is your photos that make me want to do it.

What I find interesting about you is that when I read the current trip report on Berlin, you've been there too. Is there anywhere you haven't been to, but want to visit? In my mind, I see you in Japan.

mark

P.S.***Do any N.M. members have any clue about this area? I have checked into this spot, but basically been told that the best way to find it requires a 4X4, jug of water and a cell phone...!!!!

Big thanks to all for the kind words...it's always a special time when you can share the amazement a child feels when "discovering" something new or different. We really had a good time.

MARK,

I would love to visit Japan, in fact all of Asia. I have never been to that part of the world..hopefully someday. Good luck on your NM property, don't know that area, maybe Roux Dog or NYNM has been around there.

P.S. Doesn't Las Lunas mean "the moon?"

DD

kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 08:35:48 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by doggydaddy

I have property in Las Lunas, New Mexico that probably resembles Snowflake.

I don't want to hijack this wonderful report and thread but, I've been to Los Lunas, it's only 20 miles south of Albuquerque and home to the lovely Luna Mansion. The Southwest is beautiful.

http://thelunamansion.com/
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7896
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 08:37:13 (permalink)
    Incredible Photos!

Can't wait to get back to the Desert Southwest next spring!
    rouxdog
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 10:50:46 (permalink)
    Yes doggydaddy, some of us New Mexicans have a "clue" concerning DD's area of exploration...Enjoy Los Lunas and keep your door locked.
    DD, What a wonderful trip you and your daughter must have enjoyed. Appears your older daughter runs cross country. Our youngest son (now 28) ran CC in high school. During college, trained for and ran in the Chicago Marathon.I've been to just about all the places you mentioned. Haven't been to the arboretium, looks beautiful. Did lunch at Judy's Cook House my last time through. Salt River Canyon is spectacular,especially doing it on a motorcycle! Arizona has some amazing places. Desert Dog has laid before us a great route for any roadfood friends considering a visit.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 11:15:14 (permalink)

Desertdog,

I bet you would enjoy Japan and the rest of Asia. You demonstrate a great sense of wanderlust. I did two all expense paid trips to various Asian countries, all I had to do was join the Navy.

Thanks to all who wrote in commenting on Las Lunas. Yes, it means 'The Moon', as the nightime desert sky is absolutley amazing. I realize that this is desertdog's thread, so with that in mind, we now return to regular programming.

mark

'
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 11:27:49 (permalink)
    A+++++++

I enjoyed your trip almost as much as you. Congrats to the future Olympian! Hopefuly she can represent Team USA in 2016 in my hometown of Chicago.

rouxdog
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 14:29:57 (permalink)
    Desert Dog you mentioned traveling through Show Low, Arizona. How did the town of Show Low come by its name????
    I admit to mischief, however its interesting trivia.
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3737
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 15:08:35 (permalink)
    Enjoyed your report so much and what fun to have a great kid along with you. It is always wonderful to see things through a childs' eyes.
    Ivyhouse
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 331
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/26 15:12:32 (permalink)
    Great report! And the pictures are fabulous!
    desertdog
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/28 13:07:18 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by rouxdog

Desert Dog you mentioned traveling through Show Low, Arizona. How did the town of Show Low come by its name????
    I admit to mischief, however its interesting trivia.

Sorry for the delay in responses, I've been up in Las Vegas for a Trade Show.

The name Show Low came about like many things in the Arizona, through the Wild West and Gambling.

The two settlers of the area had partnered up on ranching and other enterprises, but had a bit of a falling out and decided to split up. Neither really wanted to move on, so it was agreeed to cut a deck of cards and whomever "Showed Low" got to stay, the other had to move on.

And so it was settled, with the winner cutting a deuce of clubs; Clark moved on, Cooley stayed and built up the town of Show Low.

Ironically, I think it was Cooley that originally had a business parter in the area before Clark, with whom he also ended up splitting with, this guy ended up moving to Las Lunas, New Mexico!

Odd how things like that come about! I'll see if I can find that somewhere, I am interested in all facets of history, makes it fun to find a direction and discover a bit more than you knew yesterday.

DD

rouxdog
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/28 16:46:59 (permalink)
    DD, The story I heard is quite similar to yours. The ONLY variation is they played 5 draw, 7 stud, etc. most of the night and no one was winning. Growing weary, they decided to do the SHOW LOW thing.
    Interesting that doggydaddy who responded earlier, from the New England area, now owns a place around Los Lunas. If he's interested, I'll help him break in a new pair Tony Lamas!
    cunnm2010
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/09/29 12:22:49 (permalink)
    Absolutely beautiful photos!! Your daughter's are lucky to have a Dad with a great sense of adventure!!
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10398
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/10/01 13:40:39 (permalink)
    desertdog-
    Yet another great report and you really are an excellent photographer. Do your daughters groan "not again" everytime you bring the camera out?
    desertdog
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/10/01 17:54:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by buffetbuster

desertdog-
    Yet another great report and you really are an excellent photographer. Do your daughters groan "not again" everytime you bring the camera out?

Ha Ha! Actually, not at all. my oldeset is currently taking photography in High School, and my youngest is always saying, "oooo, can I take a picture? Seems like they both enjoy the creative side, as I do.

Thanks again for the compliments!

DD

NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/10/01 22:06:02 (permalink)
    Great pics. My fav is the hatch chile roasting!

I've been to this part of AZ; hard to believe it is "desert" Arizona!
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/10/01 22:07:52 (permalink)
    Great pics. My fav is the hatch chile roasting!

I've been to this part of AZ; hard to believe it is "desert" Arizona!
    Doatsie82
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 205
    RE: Pinetop AZ & Petrified Forest - LOTS of Pics 2007/10/02 13:05:33 (permalink)
    DD, wonderful report. The pictures are beautiful. I need to get "out east" more often. Doatise
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1