Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring

Author
reese77
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 508
2011/06/06 12:47:23 (permalink)

Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring

When I purchased a main circuit breaker box, I noticed that there was both metal and plastic (grey pvc) tubing for routing the electrical wiring to outlets, etc.

Does anyone know whether I can use either or? I just want to dry fit the piping and buy supplies before I hire an electrician to do the actual hookup.

17 Replies Related Threads

indycarver1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 43
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 14:35:23 (permalink)
    I bought plastic flex conduit because of all the movement.

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2081
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 14:44:42 (permalink)
    This is governed by your Electrical Code and how the wiring will be installed.    All commercial installations require conduit, metal or pvc.   Residential construction usually does not require conduit; the wiring is protected by installation within walls.    However, romex wiring must be protected if surface mounted on the wall or ceiling; use of conduit is then required.     .... You have not given enough info to properly answer you question, you need to consult a electrician about your needs and requirements.
    reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 15:09:57 (permalink)
    edwmax

This is governed by your Electrical Code and how the wiring will be installed.    All commercial installations require conduit, metal or pvc.   Residential construction usually does not require conduit; the wiring is protected by installation within walls.    However, romex wiring must be protected if surface mounted on the wall or ceiling; use of conduit is then required.     .... You have not given enough info to properly answer you question, you need to consult a electrician about your needs and requirements.

The wiring will be surface mounted in the food truck, not behind the walls.
    RiceWorks
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 25
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 15:49:09 (permalink)
    I use an aluminum conduit. It's fairly inexpensive and holds up well. The only issue with surface mounted conduit is it is a PITA to clean when it gets dirty.
    reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 15:56:16 (permalink)
    RiceWorks

I use an aluminum conduit. It's fairly inexpensive and holds up well. The only issue with surface mounted conduit is it is a PITA to clean when it gets dirty.

Thanks for the input. My walls are already up so surface mount is my only option. I plan to clean the interior after every use as I know how nasty and yellow FRP can get when not clean for awhile. I can only imagine how greasy the pipe must get around the stove area if not cleaned regularly.
    edwmax
    • Total Posts : 2081
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 16:06:24 (permalink)
    reese77

edwmax

The wiring will be surface mounted in the food truck, not behind the walls.

Then you will need to used conduit; metal or PVC.   Check your code, but I suspect glued PVC is OK  and water proof.
    reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 16:38:19 (permalink)
    OK Thanks. I prefer to use the PVC and just wanted to make sure.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 16:46:40 (permalink)
    PVC conduit may be your best choice because the safeserve class I took says that HD's in my area do not allow galvanized which is what most metal pipe is.
    reese77
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 17:07:38 (permalink)
    Chicnscoop

PVC conduit may be your best choice because the safeserve class I took says that HD's in my area do not allow galvanized which is what most metal pipe is.

Hmm. Did they mention why galvanized is not acceptable?
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 17:58:05 (permalink)
    Chicnscoop

Electrical metallic tubing (EMT)
    Electrical metallic tubing (EMT), sometimes called thin-wall, is commonly used instead of galvanized rigid conduit (GRC), as it is less costly and lighter than GRC. EMT itself may not be threaded, but can be used with threaded fittings that clamp to it. Lengths of conduit are connected to each other and to equipment with clamp-type fittings. Like GRC, EMT is more common in commercial and industrial buildings than in residential applications. EMT is generally made of coated steel, though it may be aluminum

All the conduit in my trailer is exposed. Going on 2 years old, it has a slight patina to it, cleans just like anything else.
    chefbuba
    • Total Posts : 1986
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/06 18:00:19 (permalink)
    reese77

Chicnscoop

Hmm. Did they mention why galvanized is not acceptable?

Call YOUR inspectors and ask these questions.
    You need to know what you can use in YOUR AREA.
    Chicnscoop
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 291
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/06/07 13:59:50 (permalink)
    Exactly.

In my safeserve training they mentioned something about galvanizing and some chemical reaction. I kind of glazed over it but they said galvanized hoods would not be allowed anymore so I assume (I know) that they frown on galvanized conduit or anything else in the kitchen as well.... in my area. Not sure about your area. Like Buba said - check with your HD before you do anything. It will save you lots of hassle later.
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/09/13 00:34:50 (permalink)
    Reese,

I used pvc conduit. I attached them to the walls every 12 inches with a pipe holder, it actually set the pvc off the wall about an inch or enough room to get a rag behind the pipe and clean. You inspector should tell you this as well. I can't remember what the name of the piece is that I bought, but I went with 1" pipe and the clasps were only .50 a pop or something like it. GL
    Dr of BBQ
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3716
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/09/13 07:39:23 (permalink)
    I would suggest using a larger pvc than normal from your box down both sides of your unit. Then drop down the size at the outlets to normal size pvc. That way you can always make any changes (add boxes, run new wires ) that you wish without a problem. Do yourself a favor and have more outlets than you think you'll ever need. At some point you'll find a nifty new sign for a window or add a new blender, and you'll be glad you have the extra outlets.
    BackRhodes
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 724
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/09/13 20:26:59 (permalink)
    Something to remember is that ALL conduit can be stuffed with only so many wires...how much depends on the conduit size and the size of the wires...this is sometimes called the Fill Ratio or Fill Amount...conduit is never completely filled...

Romex is NOT used in conduit unless the outer jacket is removed and the individual wires are then inserted into the conduit...this is per the NEC...and the reason why is that the individual conductors (wires) need to be able to dissapate heat, and this can't be done properly with the outer Romex jacket still on and it becomes a fire hazard...

Approved PVC conduit is GRAY in color...do NOT use white pvc water pipe as conduit.
    THE WILD DOG
    • Total Posts : 1465
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/09/14 00:00:27 (permalink)
    good point, yes mine is gray... didn't think to mention that... :-D
    kodyshowers
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Pipe/Tube for electrical wiring 2011/10/14 10:57:26 (permalink)
    What are you running from your breaker box to your generator. I am doing a build like you reese and and need some help on this part.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1