Pit Beef Sandwich

Author
MaggietheCat2
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 21
2007/06/16 12:21:42 (permalink)

Pit Beef Sandwich

Headed to Baltimore in a few months and would Like some suggestions on where to get a good pit beef sandwich. Thanks!

24 Replies Related Threads

RIDEANDSLIDEFOOD
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 191
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/16 12:57:19 (permalink)
    By far Boug Powell's Pit Beef, on Utal street At Orioles Park during O'S games. You will not be dissapointed!!! And welcome to Roadfood

Jim
    firecommander3565
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 505
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/16 13:20:24 (permalink)
    What is pit beef? Is it like Italian beef here in Chicago?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7849
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/16 13:54:44 (permalink)
    So far, the best in Baltimore I've experienced is Chap's Pit Beef on
    Pulaski Hwy approximately 5 miles from downtown. It's basically roast beef grilled on coals traditionally served on a Kaiser Bun or Rye Bread (I prefer it on rye) and condiments include mustard, mayo,raw onions, horseradish and bbq sauce. Chap's also has some of the best fresh cut fries and if you really want some local flavor, add cider vinegar and old bay seasoning also at the condiment station.
    signman
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/16 14:48:22 (permalink)
    I had a Boog's pit beef just last week. It's a pretty good sandwich ($7.25)and at most, only about 2 bucks more than you would pay for a similar sandwich in a non ballpark setting. They have all the right condiments, but served only on a kaiser roll, no option for rye.

Chaps is one of the best places that I've been, too, along with the Charcoal Deli in Cockeysville, a northern suburb. I go for the bbq sauce, horseradish and sliced onions on my sandwiches. Grain mustard works too, but not yellow.

Maggie let me know when you will be in the area. I'll be happy to provide detailed directions.
    ocdreamr
    • Total Posts : 1110
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/16 17:28:26 (permalink)
    Utal St?? I know we Baltimoreons talk funny but it is Eutaw St.

Signman, I haven't been there in a while , but there used to be a good place on N. Rolling Rd, right at the Rt 70 overpass. Is it still there?
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3736
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/16 18:51:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

Signman, I haven't been there in a while , but there used to be a good place on N. Rolling Rd, right at the Rt 70 overpass. Is it still there?

Yup...............it is still there and I don't believe that there is a pit beef place that is any better! I do not even know the name of the place as the sign on the roof is so faded but this is really the ultimate in Roaffood places.
    MaggietheCat2
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/17 08:50:46 (permalink)
    Thanks for the welcome Jim, and thanks for all the great suggestions! I'm intrigued by this no name place on N. Rolling Rd, anybody have anymore details?
    nattyboh
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/17 09:29:45 (permalink)
    My son has a job that requires him to be on the road all day. He's all over Baltimore City/ surrounding counties and loves pit beef. Chaps and Al's are his favorite. Young enough that he can eat it freqently as well. When at Camden Yard, he always has a sandwich from Boog's. Boog's is the best food value in the ballpark, but the wait can be substantial if Yankee and/or Red Sox fans are in town to cheer their team. Andy Nelson's on York Road in Cockeysville is excellent.

I included links to Al's, Chaps and Andy Nelson's. Also one from today's nytimes.com. that gives some background.

The place on Rolling Road is Al's pit beef. I haven't been there in some time.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9501EFD81230F93BA15755C0A9669C8B63&sec=travel&spon=&pagewanted=1

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/baltimore/restaurants/big-als-pit-beef/v-102407154?squery=19%3Acityids+AND+45%3Avenuetypekey&skip=106&uquery=skip%3D100%26stid%3D%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26vfid%3D%26vptid%3D%26

http://www.andynelsonsbbq.com/

http://search.cityguide.aol.com/baltimore/restaurants/chaps-pit-beef/v-102377000?squery=19%3Acityids+AND+45%3Avenuetypekey&skip=197&uquery=skip%3D190%26stid%3D%26tid%3D%26pid%3D%26vfid%3D%26vptid%3D%26

Natty

signman
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/17 10:03:18 (permalink)
    Since everyone is posting links, I'll contribute this one from last year right here in Roadfood.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14408
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/17 10:19:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by nattyboh

The place on Rolling Road is Al's pit beef. I haven't been there in some time.

Natty

Thanks for the name of this place............I could not think of it to save my life as we just refer to it as the pit beef stand and love going there.
    It is just a great experience standing in that long narrow space and waiting to order your sandwich............reminds me of Katz's deli in NYC in that once you order, the first slice is handed to you on the tip of a knife blade to sample while waiting for your sandwich to be prepared.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 11:50:55 (permalink)
    The pit beef place on Rolling Road is not Al's unless they changed the name recently, or the Rolling Road being referenced is not the one outside the Baltimore Beltway off Security Blvd.

I don't remember the name, but the place is on Rolling Road right at Johnnycake Road and it's between Security Blvd and Rt 40. The have true rare which is excellent and they give you a slice to taste when you get to the window. This place is run by very friendly Orientals and is about the best I've had, including the places on Pulaski Highway (though I wish Big Fat Daddy's wasn't out of business).

I don't think you can get a sandwich at Boog Powell's if you don't have a ticket for the game.

Thanks,

Kevin
    Greymo
    Filet Mignon
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 12:32:47 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by KOK

The pit beef place on Rolling Road is not Al's unless they changed the name recently, or the Rolling Road being referenced is not the one outside the Baltimore Beltway off Security Blvd.

I don't remember the name, but the place is on Rolling Road right at Johnnycake Road and it's between Security Blvd and Rt 40. The have true rare which is excellent and they give you a sclice to taste when you get to the window. This place is run by very friendly Orientals and is about the best I've had, including the places on Pulaski Highway (though I wish Big Fat Daddy's wasn't out of business.

I don't think you can get a sandwich at Boof Powell's if you don't have a ticket for the game.

Thanks,

Kevin

My son is taking me there for lunch tomorrow so I will check on the name.............you have the correct place in mind, Kevin. Also, you stated the reason why I like their pit beef so very much. You can get it rare!
    cecif
    • Total Posts : 1414
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 13:12:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

I'm curious too, but have not seen an answer to this..........
    PhenoBarbieDahl
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 69
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 14:29:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ceciflinn

quote:
    Originally posted by firecommander3565

I'm curious too, but have not seen an answer to this..........

quote:
    Originally posted by wanderingjew
    It's basically roast beef grilled on coals traditionally served on a Kaiser Bun or Rye Bread (I prefer it on rye) and condiments include mustard, mayo,raw onions, horseradish and bbq sauce.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 19:46:22 (permalink)
    I l-o-v-e pit beef. Such a real regional roadfood experience. I used to go to a great place on Rt. 1 just next to Conowingo. I don't remember the name, but it was a tavern - if you were lucky there'd be a guy outside under a canopy slicing up the meat - but sometimes you'd have to go inside and it was like a dive bar with locals who's for sure stare at you - but it was worth it.

Do a search here on RF and you'll see some good pit beef comments.Is it because the beef is cooked in a pit? It sure doesn't habe piys in it....haaa
    signman
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 19:48:00 (permalink)
    It's top round. Read Steven Raichlen's piece from the NYT. nattyboh posted a link above.
    Robearjr
    • Total Posts : 1102
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/18 20:57:38 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by NYNM

I l-o-v-e pit beef. Such a real regional roadfood experience. I used to go to a great place on Rt. 1 just next to Conowingo. I don't remember the name, but it was a tavern - if you were lucky there'd be a guy outside under a canopy slicing up the meat - but sometimes you'd have to go inside and it was like a dive bar with locals who's for sure stare at you - but it was worth it.

Do a search here on RF and you'll see some good pit beef comments.Is it because the beef is cooked in a pit? It sure doesn't habe piys in it....haaa

I'm not sure about the place in Conowingo, but it might be the susquehana inn or the union hotel. Another good place up that way, but in Harford County is Wargo's.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/20 13:06:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

quote:

I'm not sure about the place in Conowingo, but it might be the susquehana inn or the union hotel. Another good place up that way, but in Harford County is Wargo's.

I do believe it was the Susquehanna Inn - checked their funky

Now that's a dive bar/Roadfood place from the pix and ads - and I remember it was very dark in the middle of the afternoon when I went in for the pit beef.

but if not it's right across the road - the north side of Rt 1.

If you're anywhere nearby, maybe you can stop in and check it out - and order a sandwich (or go across the street!!)

Robearjr
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/21 20:53:00 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Robearjr

quote:

I do believe it was the Susquehanna Inn - checked their funky

Now that's a dive bar/Roadfood place from the pix and ads - and I remember it was very dark in the middle of the afternoon when I went in for the pit beef.

but if not it's right across the road - the north side of Rt 1.

If you're anywhere nearby, maybe you can stop in and check it out - and order a sandwich (or go across the street!!)

Yes, right over the river is the Susquehana Inn. And if you think it was a dive when you visted in the middle of the afternoon, you should see it on a saturday night. I've been there on a saturday night when a southern rock band was playing. Oh yea, that's a scene.
    KOK
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/06/29 14:09:26 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo
    quote:
    Originally posted by KOK

They have true rare which is excellent and they give you a sclice to taste when you get to the window. This place is run by very friendly Orientals and is about the best I've had, including the places on Pulaski Highway (though I wish Big Fat Daddy's wasn't out of business).

Thanks,

Kevin
    My son is taking me there for lunch tomorrow so I will check on the name.............you have the correct place in mind, Kevin. Also, you stated the reason why I like their pit beef so very much. You can get it rare!
    It's Pioneer Pit Beef, on the corner of Rolling Road and Johnnycake Road (very close to Security Square Mall.

Thanks,

Kevin
    MaggietheCat2
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/07/09 11:13:02 (permalink)
    Thanks for all the tips! I'm heading out this weekend so I'll give a full report when I return!
    hotbbw23
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/10/16 22:37:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Greymo

quote:
    Originally posted by ocdreamr

Yup...............it is still there and I don't believe that there is a pit beef place that is any better! I do not even know the name of the place as the sign on the roof is so faded but this is really the ultimate in Roaffood places.

Heh, that's my favorite Pit Beef place.

I didn't think I went there *too* often when I worked for Medicare but I went back there last weekend, two years after leaving Medicare, and the guy working there looked at me and said, "Medium rare, tiger sauce and onions, plus fries" which was my usual order when I went.

I was reassured that they still have the sacks of potatoes by the door, and they still give you a slice to sample. (Plus vinegar and Old Bay to dress the fries.) I try to swing by there every time I have to go up to Baltimore.

Dayem. Now I'm hungry and they're only open 11-5 Monday thru Saturday, so I'll have to wait 4 days to scratch that itch.
    Robearjr
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/10/17 21:08:10 (permalink)
    There is a grocery store/deli on Falls Road between 41st and Cold Spring that sells pit beef on the Sundays. Has anyone tried this place? I keep on wanting to stop, but I never get around to it.

Other than that, does anyone know of any other pit beef places in North Baltimore area: Hampden, Mount Washington, Greenspring.

amini1
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 49
    RE: Pit Beef Sandwich 2007/11/10 18:06:19 (permalink)
    For those that want to see how it's made, the following website has a great pictorial and instructions.

http://www.wessb.com/Cooks/pitbeef/Pit_beef.htm
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1