Pit beef saltiness

Author
ScreamingChicken
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4978
2010/02/23 13:15:55 (permalink)

Pit beef saltiness

A question for the Baltimore-area people...

Is pit beef traditionally a somewhat salty product?  When I make it at home that's how it turns out; I do like it that way but am curious about the real deal.

Brad

4 Replies Related Threads

LeadBelly
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 93
    Re:Pit beef saltiness 2010/02/27 21:13:56 (permalink)
    Sorry, didn't see this till this evening. I don't find pit beef salty. And unlike roast beef which I eat plain once in a while or with a slice of cheese; pit beef is a kind of tasty base on which to put a combination of condiments. So I get it with horseradish, mayo and BBQ sauce. Others put that on plus onions. Or just one or a couple of those. The pit beef I get around here is dunked first in a kind of flourless  gravy ( just the meat - not the roll ) and then put on a roll and topped. So after all that even if it is a little salty, I don't think you'd notice it all that much. 

Allan
    McJeff
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 22
    Re:Pit beef saltiness 2010/02/27 23:39:37 (permalink)
    I've always found that most pit beef has a very mild sort of saltiness to it, more noticeable on the outside of the meat.  One place cooks their beef in a tray over a pit rather than directly over the pit.  That beef cooks in its own juices and comes out somewhat saltier than others.

For the record, I've tried a few different places, but so far Pioneer Pit Beef has been so far superior to the others that I now just go there whenever I want some.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10074
    Re:Pit beef saltiness 2010/02/28 02:39:29 (permalink)
    Here's a recipe I found for Baltimore Pit Beef. I guess you could make it as salty as you like just by increasing or decreasing the amount of salt based on your tastes:

Baltimore Pit Beef
    3 lb. top round beef roast

Rub:
    2 Tablespoons seasoned salt
    1 Tablespoon sweet paprika( I used regular)
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    1 teaspoon dried oregano
    1/2 teaspoon black pepper

Combine all ingredients for rub in bowl. Sprinkle 3-4 Tablespoons of rub over 3 lb. top round beef roast, patting it into beef.

Place in baking dish and cover with plastic wrap.
    You can marinate for a few hours but for maximum flavor, marinate 3 days in fridge- turning once a day.

Heat grill to very hot!! Grill beef 30-40 minutes or until outside is crusty and dark golden brown(even black) and internal temperature is about 120 degrees for rare, higher temp for medium rare. Turn beef often with tongs.
    Transfer to cutting board and let rest for 5 minutes.
    Slice beef as thinly as possible across grain, then finely chop with meat cleaver.

Serve immediately with kaiser buns, horseradish sauce, thinly sliced sweet white onions, thinly sliced lettuce and thinly sliced fresh tomatoes.

DocChuck
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    Re:Pit beef saltiness 2010/04/03 15:52:11 (permalink)
    I simply LOVE Baltimore's (and Maryland's) pit beef.  My wife and I enjoy it fairly regularly.  When we make a trip to the Lexington Market in downtown Baltimore, we ALWAYS make a stop on the way back to pick up a couple of pounds of pit beef to take home.

I have never noticed a "salty" taste in any of our pit beef.  But, to be fair, I am a bit of a salt-lover (and, NO, my blood pressure is NOT of control --- LOL), so my palate may be a bit differently trained than folks in Wisconsin (and in 'New England').

Short answer to your question:  NO.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1