Pittsburg trip???

Author
DLnWPBrown
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 832
2009/05/05 23:51:31 (permalink)

Pittsburg trip???

I am going to try and convince my other half ( Wendy ) to do a roadfood trip to Pittsburg to meet up with buffetbuster & hopefully wanderingjew this fall ... perhaps (?)

If I pull this off would love to see how many we could get together so I can meet some of the great people I have talked to online here at Roadfood. Hey Cliff, how far is it to Philly for some cheesesteak action???

Dennis in Cary

20 Replies Related Threads

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10250
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/06 01:29:45 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

I am going to try and convince my other half ( Wendy ) to do a roadfood trip to Pittsburg to meet up with buffetbuster & hopefully wanderingjew this fall ... perhaps (?)
    If I pull this off would love to see how many we could get together so I can meet some of the great people I have talked to online here at Roadfood. Hey Cliff, how far is it to Philly for some cheesesteak action???
    Dennis in Cary

Are you talking about PITTSBURG as in Pittsburg OK (For Hot Links), or PITTSBURGH as in PITTSBURGH PA????, Home of the World Champion PITTSBURGH Steelers, Iron City Beer, Perioges, The PITTSBURGH Pirates, Permanti's and the confluence of the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers that form the Ohio River??????? Don't Mess with PITTSBURG------H !! (We're very proud of our "H"!!)

mamaduck43
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 189
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/06 03:02:07 (permalink)
    Philadelphia is a bit over 300 miles from Pittsburgh - - doable in a day, but a bit far for a quick in and out for a cheesesteak....

I grew up near Pittsburgh and went to college in Philadelphia - - it was absolutely amazing how many of my classmates thought that the two cities were suburbs of each other - - it is a whole different world, no matter which way you go.....

I am keeping my fingers crossed for a quick trip to the 'Burgh either this summer, or if it works out, I would like to take in a Steelers game this season - - but, talking about a quick in and out, we may only be there for game day.....  What a waste..... 
    Baah Ben
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3026
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/06 07:40:32 (permalink)
    Lodge cast iron pans - Pittsburg, TN

Mama - Both have some pretty good places to eat! 
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10279
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/06 08:39:16 (permalink)
    DLnWPBrown

Dennis in Cary
    You and Wendy would be welcome and I hope you are able to pull this off.  As for getting a Roadfood meet & greet, that may be a little more difficult.  Lleechef and myself tried a couple of times in the past and got small, albeit enthusiastic turnouts.  I would certainly be willing to try again, though.

Anyway, you can count on me taking you to Primanti's, Wholey's and The Dirty "O" for sure.

As for Philly, it is all the way on the other end of the state and is about a five hour drive.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7834
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/06 09:45:14 (permalink)
    Dennis,

It's unlikely I'll be in Pittsburgh anytime in the near future...
    There's a small chance I may be there for a day sometime over Labor Day Weekend in September (most likely on the Friday before the weekend)
    other than that it's just simply "not in the stars"
    Benzee
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1877
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/06 18:50:44 (permalink)
    Hello all ,

Iron City Beer at old Three Rivers Stadium
    Watching the Pirates in their glory days
    Primantes

Priceless

Benzee
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/07 00:44:17 (permalink)
    Benzee

Hello all ,

Iron City Beer at old Three Rivers Stadium
    Watching the Pirates in their glory days
    Primantes

Priceless

Benzee

I go back further than that. How 'bout watching a Pirates Game at Forbes Field in Oakland! Can you say Bill Mazeroski, 10/13/1960???? http://www.time.com/time/specials/2007/article/0,28804,1650858_1650857,00.html
    It was the first time a home run had ever ended a World Series. According to reports, Ted Szafranski, 13, caught the ball but returned it to Mazeroski after the game in exchange for two cases of beer. Typical Pittsburgh Teenager!
    EVERY seat at Forbes Field was Guaranteed to be behind a Steel Girder!!
    Saw a number of Steelers Games there too! All they did was take the hump out of the pitchers mound & play in the dirt. Can you say Bobby Lane, Pittsburgh Steelers 1958-1962. Reportedly, he would come to the games half drunk after being out all Sat. nite and would pass his butt off!
    DLnWPBrown
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 832
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/05/17 21:29:25 (permalink)
    Well it looks like the Pittsburgh trip may get iced at this point. Those who know me know what I am going through and got another no.

will keep you updated....

Dennis in Cary
    donald_lancaster
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 11
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/19 08:29:22 (permalink)

If your talking Pittsburgh, PA, Philly is about 300 miles to the east.
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2300
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/27 21:55:28 (permalink)
    It's quite likely I'll be in Pittsburg in a few weeks, BB, but you'll have to up the ante from Primante's to something better, if less famous.
    If lleechef is in town, I would gladly trade a Lodge cast iron griddle for a well-balanced meal featuring gnocci and wine.
    post edited by Poverty Pete - 2009/07/27 21:59:28
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/27 22:53:30 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

It's quite likely I'll be in Pittsburg in a few weeks, BB, but you'll have to up the ante from Primante's to something better, if less famous.
    If lleechef is in town, I would gladly trade a Lodge cast iron griddle for a well-balanced meal featuring gnocchi and wine.

PP,
    Let's get it right- It's PITTSBURGH, Not Pittsburg. We Western Pennsylvanians are very sensitive about that! There is nothing better than Primantie's if your looking for Roadfood. This from a guy, PP,  that thinks Prince's Chicken is good eats??? Give me break! You want upscale?---- BB, take him to the "O"!!!
    Seriously, youze guys have a great time wherever youze guys go! Be sure to introduce PP to Iron City Beer!! The Beer of Redneck Gourmets
    buffetbuster
    Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 10279
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/28 07:32:42 (permalink)
    PP-
    Very much looking forward to your visit.  Let me know the dates once you decide for sure.  And I promise you will eat very well!
    Poverty Pete
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/28 21:17:32 (permalink)
    No offense intended on the spelling. I'll blame it on having been on a cookware binge this weekend in Pittsburg, Tn.
    Iron City?  I believe that was the swill with which I choked down a Primante sandwich.
    Hey, foodbme, if yer going to be so picky about spelling the name of the city, don't you think you could get the name of your beloved sandwich right, too? I hear some people are sensitive about that!
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/29 02:32:52 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

No offense intended on the spelling. I'll blame it on having been on a cookware binge this weekend in Pittsburg, Tn.
    Iron City?  I believe that was the swill with which I choked down a Primante sandwich.
    Hey, foodbme, if yer going to be so picky about spelling the name of the city, don't you think you could get the name of your beloved sandwich right, too? I hear some people are sensitive about that!

Touche' PP!
    I'm sure the Gracious Buffet Buster will see to it that you will be well fed with some of Pittsburgh's Finest Cuisine! A trip report is expected.
    Incidently, I lived in Brentwod from !979 to 1983. My Daughter lives in Franklin, TN and we visit 3-4 times a year. Maybe we can hookup.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/29 06:36:05 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Let's get it right- It's PITTSBURGH, Not Pittsburg. We Western Pennsylvanians are very sensitive about that! There is nothing better than Primantie's if your looking for Roadfood. This from a guy, PP,  that thinks Prince's Chicken is good eats??? Give me break! You want upscale?---- BB, take him to the "O"!!!
    Seriously, youze guys have a great time wherever youze guys go! Be sure to introduce PP to Iron City Beer!! The Beer of Redneck Gourmets

Let's get it right - It's PRIMANTI's, not Primantie's.

And once you have had an obligatory Iron City (you have to drink a shot first and use it as a chaser as that is all that it is good for), make sure you seek out East End's beers, as they are the best Pittsburgh has to offer.

Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/29 11:18:23 (permalink)
    brentk

Foodbme

Let's get it right - It's PRIMANTI's, not Primantie's.

And once you have had an obligatory Iron City (you have to drink a shot first and use it as a chaser as that is all that it is good for), make sure you seek out East End's beers, as they are the best Pittsburgh has to offer.

Sorry but I've already been chastised by Poverty Pete. You're too late. What are "East End's beers"? Never heard of them.
    Poverty Pete
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/29 17:40:54 (permalink)
    Foodbme

Poverty Pete

Touche' PP!
    I'm sure the Gracious Buffet Buster will see to it that you will be well fed with some of Pittsburgh's Finest Cuisine! A trip report is expected.
    Incidently, I lived in Brentwod from !979 to 1983. My Daughter lives in Franklin, TN and we visit 3-4 times a year. Maybe we can hookup.

Just let me know when you're going to come down.  We'll definitely work something out.
    Foodbme
    Porterhouse
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/30 00:10:19 (permalink)
    Poverty Pete

Foodbme

Poverty Pete

Touche' PP!

Just let me know when you're going to come down.  We'll definitely work something out.

Sounds Great! Thank You! I have not tried any Nashville "Hot Chicken". Didn't learn about it until I joined the Roadfood Gang. My Son-In- Law is a native Nashvilleian (sp) and has had it but we never seem to have time to go get some when we're there.  Would love to knaw on some with you!

They live in Franklin next door to "Skip & Buffy",  but I can sneak out of the compound for some good eats! Actually, my SIL is a Good 'Ol Boy, AKA "Orange Neck". Owns at least 436 UT Hats, Tee Shirts, Huggies, Bumper Stickers, an Orange Cooler, Underwear, PJ's and a decal on his pick-up that says, "If You Ain"t a Vols Fan, You Ain't S**t". He owns several Pistols, has a concealed weapons permit and knows how to use them. I guess he qualifies to go with us!
    viking1470
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/31 13:42:51 (permalink)
    first learn how to speel it hehehehe -- then when u get there make shure (hehehe) u get to "station square".. great food served there (take the Smithstreet Bridge and turn right off the bridge).. take the tram up to Mt Washington and enjoy the city and its sights -- great town to walk around .. enjoy urself.
    brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Pittsburg trip??? 2009/07/31 14:21:10 (permalink)
    Foodbme

What are "East End's beers"? Never heard of them.

It's a small operation located in, you guessed it, the East end of town.  Most of their bottle and growler sales are direct from the brewery although there are quite a few bars and restaurants around town that sell their beers.

Their website has a list of tap locations: http://www.eastendbrewing.com/node/4

Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1