Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pittsburgh Breakfast

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 141
dren

• Total Posts: 1
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Sat, 10/14/06 6:18 PM (permalink)
The best place to have breakfast in Pittsburgh was, DEL-KIDS. But, unfortuatley, it has been torn down. Those 6 egg omletts with bacon and the 4 lb of home fries served with each meal will be surely missed. But Toms Diner in Dormont, has a great gyro omlett, mmmmmmm. And you can't go wrong with the Gab n Eat in Carnegie.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 10/16/06 12:16 PM (permalink)
    dren-
    Hey, I remember Del-Kids. It was only ten minutes for me when I was in college and I was there many times late at night. I have always been a big eater, but those six egg omelettes were beyond me. Too bad that they closed down!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 10/19/06 10:45 AM (permalink)
      I was told yesterday that the reason Bob's Diner either changed ownership or at least changed themes, was due to a lawsuit by the original Bob himself. I admit I am a little curious to find out more about this!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Sat, 11/4/06 3:55 PM (permalink)
        Sheetzaholic-
        On your recommendation, I tried Barb's in Carnegie for breakfast this morning. It sure isn't much too look at from the outside, but it does have nice diner atmosphere inside. Strangely, the sign in the window said closed, even though I could see people inside. Figuring they just forgot to change the sign and the door was unlocked, we went ahead on in. The owner then came over and said that they were experiencing electrical difficulties and it was very limited in what they could make for us. As he was telling us this, a woman went over and put a sign on the front door saying they were closed for the day because of the electrical problems. We felt a little guilty sitting there eating seeing diner after diner walking away from the front door disappointed.

Anyway, they still made some omelettes for us, which we both really liked. And considering the circumstances, the service was quite friendly. I plan on going back and trying more dishes again and hopefully they will be fully functional.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 11/7/06 12:57 PM (permalink)
          On Sunday, I tried another new place for breakfast. This one is called PBJ Market Cafe on Rte. 50 in Cecil, Pa., Washington County. It is a small place and has more of a yuppie feel than a diner atmosphere. I ordered the Eggs Benedict and homefries, both of which was quite good. My girlfriend's French Toast was a huge portion, which she loved. The only thing we didn't like was the chicken sausage. The prices were a little on the high side, but nothing worth complaining about.

All together, a good breakfast eating weekend!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 12/28/06 11:17 AM (permalink)
            I finally made to the Tom's Diner on the Southside last weekend. I really liked the fact that they had such a big menu, one of the largest I have seen for breakfast. My girlfriend got the cinnamon French toast, which she loved. My ham & cheese omelette was okay, but certainly nothing special. The side of bacon was good and I particularly enjoyed the toast. All together, I definitely liked the place and would go back. I just don't think it is on par with Jo-Jo's, DeLuca's or Pamela's.

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7407
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 12/28/06 11:23 AM (permalink)
              quote:
              Originally posted by buffetbuster

I finally made to the Tom's Diner on the Southside last weekend. I really liked the fact that they had such a big menu, one of the largest I have seen for breakfast. My girlfriend got the cinnamon French toast, which she loved. My ham & cheese omelette was okay, but certainly nothing special. The side of bacon was good and I particularly enjoyed the toast. All together, I definitely liked the place and would go back. I just don't think it is on par with Jo-Jo's, DeLuca's or Pamela's.

Buffetbuster,

Did you hit C C's in Mt Lebanon yet?

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 12/28/06 11:49 AM (permalink)
                wanderingjew-
                No not yet, but thanks for the reminder. My girlfriend wants to go to someplace new on Saturday morning, so that sounds like a great choice. I will give you a report back sometime over the weekend.

What do you recommend at C C's?

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                  RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 12/28/06 12:48 PM (permalink)
                  quote:

wanderingjew-
                  No not yet, but thanks for the reminder. My girlfriend wants to go to someplace new on Saturday morning, so that sounds like a great choice. I will give you a report back sometime over the weekend.

What do you recommend at C C's?

Go for the breakfast special called "The Lucy"
                  comes with eggs, ham steak, huge buttermilk pancake and potato pancake. I doubt you'd be dissapointed!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Sun, 12/31/06 3:59 PM (permalink)
                    wanderingjew-
                    We did make it to CC's Homemade Foods yesterday morning for breakfast.
                    I was a little surprised that it wasn't open when we arrived at 7:15, but since it opens at 7:30, we didn't have to wait long. I liked the place as soon as I saw they had the words potato pancakes and chicken dumpling soup painted right on the front windows.

As I was walking in, I said "good morning" to the woman behind the counter and she just grunted at me. I though "uh oh, here we go". But she actually turned out to be very nice.

I did get the Lucy special as you suggested and everything (especially the ham) was really good. My girlfriend loved her potato pancakes. But the highlight was the cinnamon roll. Although not Maltby Cafe great, it was delicious. The owner/cook told me that it was a Hungarian cinnamon roll.

When I asked about the chicken dumpling soup, she actually gave me a small free sample, which I really appreciated. On the way out, I saw a sign that said they have homemade pierogies, too. That did it, I am coming back for lunch or dinner real soon!

Thanks again for the recommendation....I will definitely be back.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                      RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/1/07 11:05 AM (permalink)
                      quote:

wanderingjew-
                      We did make it to CC's Homemade Foods yesterday morning for breakfast.
                      I was a little surprised that it wasn't open when we arrived at 7:15, but since it opens at 7:30, we didn't have to wait long. I liked the place as soon as I saw they had the words potato pancakes and chicken dumpling soup painted right on the front windows.

As I was walking in, I said "good morning" to the woman behind the counter and she just grunted at me. I though "uh oh, here we go". But she actually turned out to be very nice.

I did get the Lucy special as you suggested and everything (especially the ham) was really good. My girlfriend loved her potato pancakes. But the highlight was the cinnamon roll. Although not Maltby Cafe great, it was delicious. The owner/cook told me that it was a Hungarian cinnamon roll.

When I asked about the chicken dumpling soup, she actually gave me a small free sample, which I really appreciated. On the way out, I saw a sign that said they have homemade pierogies, too. That did it, I am coming back for lunch or dinner real soon!

Thanks again for the recommendation....I will definitely be back.

Buffetbuster,

Glad to hear you enjoyed C'C's. Did the counter lady have blonde hair? If so, then that was the owner. I've never had their Pierogies. I'm sure they're good. They're open for lunch, but I'm not sure if they're open for dinner. You can also sit in the dining room in back if the counter seats are taken.
                      When I was living in Mt Lebanon, I spent most of my weekend mornings at the Coffee Tree Roasters on Beverly Road, however whenever I wanted a full breakfast I would alternate between C C's, Tom's Diner in Dormont, Bado's on Beverly and Pamela's.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/1/07 3:21 PM (permalink)
                        wanderingjew-
                        She did have blonde hair and identified herself as the owner to me. The entire time we ate, there was just the three of us in the place.

My brother absolutely loves chicken dumpling soup, so I plan on taking him there for lunch or dinner. Unfortunately, I failed to notice their hours, so I will have to call ahead.

I have never eaten at Bado's....how does it compare?

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                          RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/1/07 4:09 PM (permalink)
                          Can I get a location for CC's? Please.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/1/07 4:18 PM (permalink)
                            kozel-
                            The address is:

CC's Homemade Foods
                            698 Washington Road
                            Pittsburgh, Pa.

It is located in Mt. Lebanon.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                              RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/1/07 8:07 PM (permalink)
                              quote:

wanderingjew-
                              She did have blonde hair and identified herself as the owner to me. The entire time we ate, there was just the three of us in the place.

My brother absolutely loves chicken dumpling soup, so I plan on taking him there for lunch or dinner. Unfortunately, I failed to notice their hours, so I will have to call ahead.

I have never eaten at Bado's....how does it compare?

Buffetbuster,

I don't remember the breakfast rush picking up until around 9 or 10am on the weekends. You're obviously an early riser!

Bado's was pretty good. For breakfast I would get the Italian Special (eggs with Italian Sausage) or the blintzes. Their Pizza, Eggplant Parm Hoagies and BBQ wings were pretty good too . I remember during the week they would have an all you can eat pizza buffet for lunch. My coworkers and I would go their on occasion. I don't know if they still have it since I haven't been their in over 6 years.

Here's their website http://www.badospizzagrill.com/

kozel

• Total Posts: 811
                                RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/1/07 10:44 PM (permalink)
                                thanks, I'll look for the place next time I'm out there.
                                quote:

kozel-
                                The address is:

CC's Homemade Foods
                                698 Washington Road
                                Pittsburgh, Pa.

It is located in Mt. Lebanon.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 01/22/07 8:23 AM (permalink)
                                  I can't believe I haven't previously mentioned one of my favorite breakfast spots around Pittsburgh, Joe's Rusty Nail in Bellevue. It is my typical eating destination before going to Steeler home games, but I ate there this past Saturday and it reminded me just how good it is.

While most of the other best breakfast spots in Pittsburgh are diner's (Jo-Jo's, DeLuca's, Tom's Diner), this place has more of a small family restaurant atmosphere. And the service here has always been super friendly. I usually get the really good thick cut French toast, but I was in the mood for eggs. So, I got the ham & cheese omelette, which was delicious. I also got potato pancakes and an order of bacon, both of which were well above average.

Two other things I like about The Rusty Nail. 1) Although it is popular, even on weekend mornings you rarely have a long wait for a table. 2) They are one of the few restaurants in the Pittsburgh area that still serve Turkey Devonshires, the Pittsburgh version of the Hot Brown Sandwich.

Although it is not as good as say, Jo-Jo's, this place still deserves a mention on the short list of best Pittsburgh breakfasts.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Sat, 02/3/07 6:52 PM (permalink)
                                    This morning I tried a new place that I heard about from a radio ad. It is called Kelly O's and is located on Perry Hwy. (Rte. 19) in the North Hills area.

The place is larger that it looks with about a dozen booths and a long counter. I ordered an omelet with hot sausage and provolone cheese in it and even though it was greasy, it was quite good. It came with above average homefries and really good Italian toast. The service was quick and very friendly.

This place was a keeper and it is close enough to where I live for me to go regularly.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 02/5/07 7:57 AM (permalink)
                                      A quick warning.... I tried to have breakfast at the Pamela's in Squirrel Hill yesterday morning and there was a sign on the front door that they did not open until 9:00AM, which is quite late to open for breakfast. Whether this is a Sunday only thing or Squirrel Hill location thing, I am not really sure. My advice would be to call before hand to get the hours before going.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
                                        RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 02/5/07 8:14 AM (permalink)
                                        quote:

A quick warning.... I tried to have breakfast at the Pamela's in Squirrel Hill yesterday morning and there was a sign on the front door that they did not open until 9:00AM, which is quite late to open for breakfast. Whether this is a Sunday only thing or Squirrel Hill location thing, I am not really sure. My advice would be to call before hand to get the hours before going.

Buffetbuster, I told you before most people don't even get out to have breakfast on the weekends until 9am!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 02/5/07 8:49 AM (permalink)
                                          wanderingjew-
                                          My girlfriend keeps telling me the same thing. But she knows she needs to be ready by 7:00AM. At least we never have to wait in line!

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
                                            RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 02/5/07 1:50 PM (permalink)

Buffetbuster, here are three breakfast/lunch places northwest of Pittsburgh that you might want to try:

Rea’s Restaurant, 401 Ferree Street, Coraopolis (located across from the west end of the Coraopolis-Neville Island Bridge). Depressing décor, but good, substantial servings at low prices. http://foodpage.us/617911?showmap=1&toz=

Junior’s, 705 Fifth Avenue, Coraopolis (located on southbound PA-51 in the business district). Good food with nice décor, but prices average slightly higher than a Rea’s. http://foodpage.us/617894?showmap=1&toz=

Sheila’s Restaurant, 25 State Street, Baden (located behind the Rte.65 Sheetz and Aldi’s and next door to Amoroso Foods. Pleasant décor, well prepared food at low prices. Parking lot is usually packed but nearly street parking available. Exact map not available, but this one shows the Sheetz location. http://foodpage.us/181139?showmap=1&toz=

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 02/5/07 4:41 PM (permalink)
                                              GeoNit,
                                              Much obliged for the tips. I love going out for breakfast and since I went to Robert Morris, I know Coraopolis very well. I am looking forward to trying these places.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Wed, 02/7/07 2:34 PM (permalink)
                                                GeoNit-
                                                I really blew it this morning. I had to drop someone off at the airport early this morning. But, I forgot to take the names and addresses of the breakfast places in Coraopolis you recommended with me. I'm usually better organized than this!

jenlu

• Total Posts: 5
                                                  • Location: Virginia Beach, VA, VA
                                                  RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 03/6/07 10:13 AM (permalink)
                                                  Another vote here for Gab N Eat. The place isn't that big, but the portions sure are! The corned beef sandwich is really good too!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 03/6/07 10:31 AM (permalink)
                                                    jenlu-
                                                    That is funny you should bring up the Gab & Eat this morning. One of my coworkers was looking for a breakfast place near I-79 and of course the Gab & Eat is the place I am sending her.

Thanks for the tip on the corned beef sandwich. I usually eat breakfast there, but when I do eat lunch I always get the burger. I will try the corned beef next time I am there.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 04/10/07 8:04 AM (permalink)
                                                      The last time I ate at Joe's Rusty Nail in Bellevue, I sat underneath a framed article from Pittsburgh Magazine listing the restaurant as one of Pittsburgh's 23 best breakfast places. Since I was unfamiliar with the article when it came out, I called up WQED last week and was able to order a back issue (dated October 2005), which arrived yesterday.

No surprise that places like Jo-Jo's, Pamela's and Gab n' Eat were listed, but no De Luca's or Tom's Diner. Still, there are plenty of places I have never been to and I intend on trying them all in the next few months. Should be fun!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 04/12/07 5:04 AM (permalink)
                                                        There is a nice article in the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette this morning about how the very popular Pamela's restaurants got started. The only location I haven't been to is the Millvale location, but after reading about the soda fountain, that is going to change real soon.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/07102/777144-34.stm

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 04/17/07 7:48 AM (permalink)
                                                          Since I was downtown for jury duty, I stopped for breakfast at the Tower Diner. Not bad, but nothing special about it. I had a ham & cheese omelette, with hashbrowns and toast. The only thing that was good was the hashbrowns and the friendly service. Other than it being in a great location and being convenient, I wouldn't go out of my way to eat here.

moos4u1

• Total Posts: 2
                                                            • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
                                                            RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Fri, 05/18/07 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                                            quote:

This morning I tried a new place that I heard about from a radio ad. It is called Kelly O's and is located on Perry Hwy. (Rte. 19) in the North Hills area.

The place is larger that it looks with about a dozen booths and a long counter. I ordered an omelet with hot sausage and provolone cheese in it and even though it was greasy, it was quite good. It came with above average homefries and really good Italian toast. The service was quick and very friendly.

This place was a keeper and it is close enough to where I live for me to go regularly.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 2 of 5, messages 31 to 60 of 141

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com