Pittsburgh Breakfast

Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Author
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3026
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 09:32:37 (permalink)
Buffetbuster - No question about it! And, the Manhattan BK wouldn't have the character of a Jo Jo's breakfast. It is a very tough town on those, who do not give a diner value for their money. Those places usually do not last. It's an old school town.

Pittsburgh has come a long way today and I'd venture to say they have more to offer in any aspect than most cities in this country. It is very, very underrated. Orlando, for example, a much, much bigger town, doesn't have near the sports facilities or quality medical facilites or cultural amenities than Pittsburgh does! Not even close. They have some really good restaurants. My favorites were Tessarro's, Jo Jo's, Cafe Allegro and Pamela's. I also liked Angelo's pizza. We became good friends.

Jo Jo's original location was right across from our place; on Smallman Street. I did not serve breakfast (his big income producer) so we were not really in competiton. Jo Jo was a real character. A very nice man. He would come into our place..he liked the hot dogs. Jo Jo's closed at like 2:00 PM
daily. They opened at 11:00 PM I seem to recall. Catered to the produce industry. On Saturdays...watch out though! We were all busy on Saturdays with all the shoppers.

Jo Jo made an excellent business decision to move his store to get a parking lot. He has a good business. I do not know how he is doing, but his brother-in-law and his daughter really ran the business. Jo Jo just shmoozed and collected the $$. I know many go to DeLuca's for breakfast, but personally, I don't think there is any comparison between the two places.

The grocery guys would come in at 8 AM to Jo Jo's for their LUNCH! They worked the produce docks from 12:00 AM and were done and gone by 8:00 AM. Very tough hours. Their work week was Monday 12:00 AM to Thursday down at the Strip District. Good memories.
wanderingjew
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 7956
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 09:41:54 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Baah Ben

Orlando, for example, a much, much bigger town,

Orlando has more than 2.2 million people!!!" />
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10356
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 11:07:32 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by wanderingjew

quote:

Orlando, for example, a much, much bigger town,

Orlando has more than 2.2 million people!!!" />

I checked the Census figures;
Orlando Florida Population, 2006 estimate 220,186
State of FL Population, 2006 estimate 18,089,888
The Census figures are just the City of Orlando , not the surrounding area. I'll try to find that.
Found it! the Orlando-Kissimmee MSA is - 2007 - 2,032,496 !

The Pittsburgh PA MSA Population as of the 2000 Census was 2,358,695

Note the difference in years for comparison purposes.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 16:29:38 (permalink)
My point was that Pittsburgh is a hidden gem of a city...Very underrated. It has a pro football team, a pro baseball team and a pro hockey. But, most importantly, it has 3 brand new stadiums! They have one of the very best colleges in this country in Carnegie Mellon. They have the U of Pittsburgh, some of the very best teaching hospitals in the country, etc. They have lots of cultural opportunites, etc. And let's add plenty of good restaurants to stay on topic here. It does have great breakfasts and is known for them. It's all good. Nothing against Orlando......200,000 or 2,000,000? " />
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 17:20:45 (permalink)
quote:

My point was that Pittsburgh is a hidden gem of a city...Very underrated. It has a pro football team, a pro baseball team and a pro hockey. But, most importantly, it has 3 brand new stadiums! They have one of the very best colleges in this country in Carnegie Mellon. They have the U of Pittsburgh, some of the very best teaching hospitals in the country, etc. They have lots of cultural opportunites, etc. And let's add plenty of good restaurants to stay on topic here. It does have great breakfasts and is known for them. It's all good. Nothing against Orlando......200,000 or 2,000,000? " />

BB,
I totally agree with you. Orlando will never have the class and diversity that Pittsburgh has. All they have are a couple of amusement parks and Pittsburgh has Kennywood--so there. Besides that, I dare someone to try and find a peiroge anywhere in the whole area! And WPIAL High School Football--Faggetaboutit! And the Duquesne Incline! And Duquesne University--- AND---
mmarkovitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 17:29:02 (permalink)
Foodbme your making me home sick. I'll take Kennywood over a overrate mouse any day. murray
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 17:37:14 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by mmarkovitz

Foodbme your making me home sick. I'll take Kennywood over a overrate mouse any day. murray

With a name like Markovitz, you definitely qualify as a Pittsburgher. What section of town are you from?
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/08/12 18:39:32 (permalink)
Foodbeme - Ahh, let me guess where MM lived..Squirrel Hill? My sister has lived there for 35 years
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10493
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/09 06:57:19 (permalink)
There was a nice write up for Roadfood gem DeLuca's in the Trib this morning.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/living/fooddrink/s_591933.html
mmarkovitz
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 80
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/09 07:45:54 (permalink)
You are so right Ben. I move over 23 years ago and once a Pittsburgher always a Fan. "GO STEELERS"
GeoNit
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 378
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/15 17:12:34 (permalink)
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/04/13/AR2007041300648.html?wpisrc=newsletter
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 13:49:42 (permalink)
For the first time ever, I had a bad experience at a Pamela's. I normally love this place, but we ate at the new Mt. Lebanon location for breakfast yesterday, on the way to the Steeler game. I did get the famous strawberry hotcakes, but it was so full of brown sugar, I had a hard time eating it. My girlfriend didn't care for her Greek omelet, either. The corned beef hash still was delicious. We got there at 9:30AM and didn't have to wait for a table, which would never happen at any of the other locations.

I am not going to completely write this location off. It is the closest to my gf's house and my previous meal there was up to Pamela's usual high standards. Oh, and as always, finding a parking spot was a bear!
Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 197
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 20:32:41 (permalink)
This might be the opportunity for you and your breakfast companions to try the Dorstop, BB. It's only a mile or two up the road from Pamela's. The crowd isn't as upscale as you get at the Mt Lebo Pamela's, but I think the food is better. If you have a chance, you probably can catch it on tonight's Diners, Dives & Drive-Ins.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 20:36:55 (permalink)
Kenny Joe-
Excellent idea! I had forgotten about the Dorstop. Are they open on Sundays? How crowded do they get? What do you recommend there? Thanks for the tip that they are on D, D & D tonight.
badseed555
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 44
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 20:53:32 (permalink)
Too right, Go Steelers!

Pgh is an underated city but only more so these days since the 90's when I left. I've been gone for 12 years and I still miss so many things and now there are so many more things to miss. I actually only know one X-Pittsburgher that insists she doesn't miss it.

Pamala's was not one of my favorites becuase they we always so croweded but Delucas sausage was to die for. Tom's on the southside was good the last time I was in Pgh a year ago.
Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 21:04:18 (permalink)
BB - Pamela's has a lot of places all of a sudden..When I was in Pittsburght, they had only two places. I use to go to the one in Shadyside. I wonder if they are franchising? Could be the reason for the inconsistancy?

In all the years I went to Pamela's, I never had their strawberry pancakes. Is it the same as their crepe like pancakes, but they just throw strawberries on top and maybe some mystery canned whipped cream? Or is it a completely different pancake? I'm jsut guiessing they rol the pancakes up with strawberries? Thanks for any info on this...

Hey, have you ever tried Tesarro's for their burgers? On Thursdays, they have a good spare rib special. In Bloomfield. Not the conventional slow cooked ribs with a smoke ring, but they are good and I seem to recall you like them on a char-broiler. If so, these would be great for you.
badseed555
Junior Burger
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 21:16:41 (permalink)
Hmmph, Tessaros ribs! I must have had 100 hamburgers and chicken sandwiches at Tessaros and had their ribs once. They were always out of them by the time I got there but the one rack I did get was quite delicious. As you say, char-broiled not smoked but cooked so they still had a bit of chew, the way I like them. I think that was the night when I saw Nick Perry in there, right after he got out of jail for the lottery festivities.
Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 21:56:43 (permalink)
The Dorstop is open Sundays. There's usually at least a small wait from 9 AM until ?. We're always there before 9, which is easy for us because we're just down the street. Much like Pamela's, the Dorstop signature dish is the pancakes, although a Dorstop pancake is not at all like the the Pamela's pancake. I'll let the Dorstop folks explain explain, as I am sure it will be the pancakes that Guy features.

As for the Mt Lebo Pamela's, I am almost certain is not a franchise.

Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 21:58:19 (permalink)
Badseed - I am with you 100% on the Deluca's sausage, especially the hot sausage. It is the tastiest I have had anywhere.
badseed555
Junior Burger
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/27 22:15:04 (permalink)
Didn't DeLuca's have the big ham on the counter that they sliced when you ordered it, or was that JoJos?

Actually, for a chain, I always liked Eat-n-Park for breakfast. I was a grad student for a long time so it was appealing for being cheap and open late. I would get a bit pissy if my breakfast smile was not presented correctly. Appologies for being rotten, but we usually refered to it as it Pick-n-Eat. Then again, I work hard at being naughty.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/28 06:20:08 (permalink)
Kenny Joe-
Very enjoyable segment of The Dor-Stop last night on D,D & D. The ladies working there certainly had a lot of personality. And the food looked wonderful. I am definitely going to eat there very soon.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/28 08:24:51 (permalink)
Baah Ben-
I'm not to the point where I would call Pamela's inconsistent, yet. Considering I have had at least 50 breakfasts here over the years and this was my first subpar meal, I would say that is an acceptable ratio. But, since this was only my second meal at the Mt. Lebanon location, I am going to keep an eye on it.

There are six locations right now: Oakland, Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, The Strip, Millvale and Mt. Lebanon. Even if they aren't being franchised, I would think it would be difficult for the owners to oversee that many places. You were in the restaurant business.....what do you think?

As for the strawberry hotcakes, yes, they are a more crepe style, than what most of us call pancakes.

Baah Ben
Filet Mignon
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/10/28 09:39:50 (permalink)
Hey BB - Thanks for pictures. For those of you that have never been to Pamela's, I think you can now see why so many people rave about this place. I didn't think they could do anything but roll their signature pancake up with stawberrys. Don't look like fresh strawberries, but it could be the time of the season. Hey, they look very, very good. I just love those pancakes (I call them crepes) Oh, would I love to have them this morning!! They are truly some of the best pancakes/crepes I've ever had. I use to love the IHop Cream of Wheat pancakes..also very rich tasting.

I have to believe it is very difficult to run so many Pamela's. Hey, I am thrilled for them. This place started out as nothing and look where they have come. Only in America. An amazing success story for Pittsburgh and really it's just a breakfast destination so think how well they have to do in just say..6 hours...I know they are open longer, but really do you go there for anything other than breakfast? Not likely.

Hey, good for them. Let's hope you just hit the new location that hasn't got it together yet. I've been to the ones in Squirrel Hill, Shadyside and near the University in Oakland. I like the one in Squirrel Hill the best. This is a great story for anyone who knew them and has moved away. I wonder if Pamela is really the name of the owner?

When I was in business there, I did know several of the owners of the successful places like the Benkowitz family, the owner of Tessarro's (Kelly - He sold it and brought City Grill many years ago) the owners (brothers) of Roland's (in the Strip), etc. Never knew who owned Pamela's though. Hot Licks ..Louis Lipps. Boy, someone mentioned that one...That's great. Pittsburghers are amazing..They really are.

I wish I knew that pancake recipe!!! I have to believe that batter is loaded with butter. I've tried watering down my mix but I can never get it to come out like Pamela's

I saw the spot on the Dor-Stop last night on Diners Drive-Ins and Dives (my all time favorite food show) and it was great. Nice to see Guy's family, too. There's a success story. I love this guy! I really do not think I will get tired of him like I got tired of Emerill. He's my kind of food guy. HE'S MONEY!
mncorn
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 151
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/11/02 22:53:01 (permalink)
I have been in 35 of the U.S. States and 10 countries, but never had the pleasure to stay in Pittsburgh. I have drove through it, but never stopped...next time.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2008/11/08 14:09:12 (permalink)
We made it to The Dor-Stop in Dormont for breakfast this morning. Kenny Joe sorry we didn't ask you to join us, but we just decided to go this morning.

Emilou got the chocolate chip pancakes.

She liked them, but wishes there were more chips in them.

Mariton had the walnut french toast

She was very happy with it. She also got a side of the ham

and you can see they are generous with the portion sizes here.

I went with one of the dishes Guy featured on the show, the raspberry french toast (although I know that isn't the proper name on the menu).

You can see the corn flakes it is dipped in. No syrup needed for this. I loved my breakfast! I very much recommend this place.

We arrived around 8:30AM and there was quite a long line. I'm sure the tv publicity has increased business. Still, they kept things moving and we only had a 20 minute wait.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2009/05/26 12:46:13 (permalink)
PLEASE don't turn this into a political thread, but it was interesting to see that President Obama had the owners of Pamela's come to the White House and make their famous strawberry crepes for him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09146/972657-84.stm

There really should be a Roadfood review for this place.  Maybe I will get a few more photos and get one written up soon.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2009/05/26 13:22:41 (permalink)
buffetbuster

PLEASE don't turn this into a political thread, but it was interesting to see that President Obama had the owners of Pamela's come to the White House and make their famous strawberry crepes for him.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/09146/972657-84.stm

There really should be a Roadfood review for this place.  Maybe I will get a few more photos and get one written up soon.

I wonder how much that breakfast cost the Taxpayers in travel expenses???
paamie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2009/05/28 22:34:00 (permalink)
It cost the taxpayers $290 for 2 nights in a hotel. We paid for the ingredients, our travel, our own food, parking etc.
paamie
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2009/05/28 22:44:52 (permalink)
PS Obama invited us to make hotcakes for the Veterans and Mother's of fallen soldiers at the White House not for the White House.
The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3764
RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast 2009/05/29 00:27:16 (permalink)
That's pretty cool.  Honestly, the best words in the whole story are right here....

"Ms. Klingensmith said neither she nor Ms. Cohen are very politically involved (though they appreciate the president's pro-pancake stance), but they are "very patriotic," and regarded it as a high honor to cook breakfast for Mr. Obama.

"Both of us think very highly of President Obama," she said. "Who in their wildest dreams would dream this that the president would say, 'Hey I really like those pancakes'? Never in a million years.""

I think this is the ultimate correct sentiment - it doesn't matter who the president is - but, when the president asks for something like this - recognizing it as the proper honor is spot on.

Kudos.  Hopefully, I will get the privilege to dine there soon enough.
Page: < 12345 > Showing page 4 of 5
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1