Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pittsburgh Breakfast

Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 141
pdxeats

• Total Posts: 16
Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 09/4/03 12:15 AM (permalink)
I think the best pittsburgh breakfast (24hours)is Tom's diner on
E. carson street South Side Pittsburgh.
I love their gyro breakfast meat combo's and omelets!! So much diffrent stuff to choose from!!

my mate swears by the FamousPamela's
(but I think it is overrated)except for the lyonnase potatoes!! He loves their Pancakes!!

Hs anyone ever eaten at any of these places??
or maybe you can suggest a new place!!???!!

signman

• Total Posts: 1743
    RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 09/4/03 1:12 AM (permalink)
    I'll be in Pittsburgh this weekend and plan to eat b'fast at DeLucas in the Strip District. I'm a home fried potato lover so I'm interested in Pamela's. Where is it? Thanks.

pdxeats

• Total Posts: 16
      RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 09/4/03 6:02 AM (permalink)
      Oh yeah
      I forgot about DeLucas in the strip
      Have you ever had the fried potato dish thats like a stir fry with the fried onion and peppers etc. only with out the rice ??(they use fried hash browns.)
      It's great!!
      I guess the owners of Pamela's have 2or3 locations
      the Location that I know best is
      Forbes ave Oakland next to Leonard's men's clothing store
      Across from Eckerd drug store
      Address:
      3703 Forbes Avenue
      Pittsburgh, PA 15213
      http://pittsburgh.citysearch.com/profile/8608828
      This has a Map at the bottom of the page hope it helps!!

Another Pamela's location.....never been there is the Squirrel Hill Location
      Also on Forbes Ave....but another neighborhood

Your Welcome:)

wanderingjew

• Total Posts: 7408
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 09/4/03 7:38 AM (permalink)
        The other Pamela's is on Walnut Street in Shadyside, a once cool trendy neighborhood now gone by the wayside of the Pottery Barn and the Gap. This one is actually my favorite.

wanderingjew

• Roadfood Insider
          RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 09/9/03 4:08 PM (permalink)
          quote:
          Originally posted by vequinox

I love their gyro breakfast meat combo's and omelets!! So much diffrent stuff to choose from!!

my mate swears by the Famous Pamela's
          (but I think it is overrated)except for the lyonnase potatoes!! He loves their Pancakes!!

I've been to Tom's Diner in Dormont, never went to the one on Southside. There are a a couple of good breakfast places in Mt Lebanon which was where I spent most of my 5 years in Pittsburgh. Bado's on Beverly Road had decent breakfasts, so did CC's on Washington Road. In fact they had one huge breakfast special which included eggs, a huge pancake, a potato pancake, and choice of breakfast meat.

FRANKIEJ

• Total Posts: 1
            RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Fri, 10/17/03 9:49 PM (permalink)
            Oleary's Doughnuts on the 14 and east carson street!!
            Nary a doughnut will you see. They make the Platonic Ideal of Home Fries. The Homefries that all other potatoes long to become. Nothing fancy and the coffee is weak! but the scrambled eggs are perfect, the homefries sublime, the bacon is perfect everytime. Go Eat!!

sunnyside up

• Total Posts: 126
              RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Sat, 05/14/05 12:22 PM (permalink)
              Tom's!! Every town should have one. I ate at the Carson Street location about a year ago, we had a group of 10 starving souls that had been staying at the Sheraton Station Square. Power went out in the hotel kitchen so the waitress at the Sheraton recommended Tom's. I went back and tipped her $5 for sending us to such a delightful place to eat.

danajane

• Total Posts: 5
                RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 01/3/06 10:55 AM (permalink)
                Tom's Diner is very yummmy....there's a lot of new places to eat in South Side... www.southsidepittsburgh.com and if you ever need a great place to stay...check out the Morning Glory Inn Bed & Breakfast www.gloryinn.com

dana

quote:
                Originally posted by vequinox

my mate swears by the Famous Pamela's

danajane

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 01/3/06 10:57 AM (permalink)
                  I am born and raised a south sider of pittsburgh and have been going to O'Leary's since i was five, i'm 37 now...so that's a long time...great home cooked meals there...and breakfasts are always perfect no matter what you order.

dana

quote:
                  Originally posted by FRANKIEJ

Oleary's Doughnuts on the 14 and east carson street!!
                  Nary a doughnut will you see. They make the Platonic Ideal of Home Fries. The Homefries that all other potatoes long to become. Nothing fancy and the coffee is weak! but the scrambled eggs are perfect, the homefries sublime, the bacon is perfect everytime. Go Eat!!

RC51Mike

• Total Posts: 443
                    RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 01/3/06 12:45 PM (permalink)
                    I haven't been there in a while but had a great breakfast at Pip's Diner on Woodville Ave.

danajane

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 01/3/06 3:23 PM (permalink)
                      there's a place just like O'Leary's called JP's Cafe in south side now...great food

Wembly

• Total Posts: 10
                        RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Fri, 01/13/06 3:05 PM (permalink)
                        quote:
                        Originally posted by wanderingjew

The other Pamela's is on Walnut Street in Shadyside, a once cool trendy neighborhood now gone by the wayside of the Pottery Barn and the Gap. This one is actually my favorite.

That Pamela's is my favorite, but you better show up early because you will be waiting in line in the mornig.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Fri, 07/28/06 3:23 PM (permalink)
                          I believe there are now five Pamela's around Pittsburgh. They are located in Shadyside, Squirrel Hill, Oakland, The Strip District and the newest one is in Millvale. I do like Pamela's and their pancakes are very good. I'm just not willing to wait more than a half hour to get a table. I usually go to the Shadyside location, so that if the line is too long, I can go right around the corner and eat at Crepes Parisienne. Plus, it has the added bonus of the wonderful Prantls Bakery right next door.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 08/10/06 2:48 PM (permalink)
                            One of my favorite breakfast spots in Pittsburgh is Bob's Diner. It is located in a small strip mall on Noblestown Road in Greentree, just west of downtown.

The first thing you notice when you walk in is that they have an all Bob theme. There are pictures of Bob Barker, Bob Newhart, Bob Marley, Spongebob Squarepants, etc. all over the place. On my first visit, a woman came over and introduced herself as the owner. I asked her if her name was Roberta, but she said it was Wendy. Then she told me the story of how she used to be a waitress and saved up enough in tips to buy the place from the previous owner, Bob. She didn't have enough money left over for a new sign, so she just went all out with the Bob theme. While we were talking, I noticed a young couple leaving, wearing pajamas and slippers. She explained that they were regulars and the restaurant occasionally had theme days. The day when all the employees and regulars wear their pajamas is a popular one. Apparently, I missed cowboy and cowgirl Saturday by one week. That I would have liked to have seen! Anyway, it is a really fun place and the food, while not as good as Jojo's or Pamela's, is quite good. I recommend the pancakes and omelettes.

They sell t-shirts with their motto, "Eat at Bob's and get the hell out". Oh, and if your name is Bob, you can sign their wall.

http://www.eatatbobs.com/

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 09/14/06 12:41 PM (permalink)
                              I ate at the Pamela's in the Strip District for the first time this past Sunday. I arrived at 9:30 and quite surpringly got a table right away. That would never happen on a weekend morning at the Shadyside, Squirrel Hill and Oakland locations. So if you are visiting Pittsburgh, want to try Pamela's and want to avoid the lines, go to the one in The Strip. By the way, my strawberry pancakes were delicious and my girlfriend loved her omelette.

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
                                RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 09/14/06 8:29 PM (permalink)
                                My vote for best Pittsburgh breakfast would have to go to JoJo's, which has a good Micahel Stern review elsewhere on this site.

I have never been a fan of Pamela's, but I love the P & G DIner, the Millvale pharmacy lunch counter which is now associated with Pamela's but has been there for years. I have never had breakfast there, but it is one of my favorite places for lunch. It has great little dogs and burgers and big thick shakes. Check it out; you will not be disappointed.

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
                                  RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Fri, 09/15/06 11:24 AM (permalink)
                                  Here's another vote for JoJo's. Years ago, I was a weekend regular at what was then Vince & Henry's. Shortly after the next generation of Deluca's took over and changed the restaurant's name, I started getting home fries with an off-flavor when I ate at Deluca's.

So, about 20 years ago, I switched to JoJo's, which, at that time, was just around the corner from Delucas, prior to its move to its curent location. In the intervening years, I've been back to Deluca's about a dozen times, but still find the home fries at JoJo's far superior to those dished out by Deluca's.

At JoJo's, I highly recommend the three-egg breakfast special with hot sausage, home fries and Italian toast.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 09/19/06 10:32 AM (permalink)
                                    I would agree that Jojo's has the best breakfast in Pittsburgh. As good as the food is, the genuine diner atmosphere can't be beat. My personal preference is to sit at the counter, so I can watch the food being prepared. I'm looking forward to eating there next Sunday before the Steeler game.

Sheetzaholic

• Total Posts: 51
                                      RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Sat, 09/30/06 11:19 AM (permalink)
                                      South Side - O'Leary's (I'm a resident + you'll meet more here)
                                      North Side - Mullen's
                                      Strip - DeLuca's + JoJo's (c'mon yinz can eat twice)
                                      Lawrenceville - Barb's Country Kitchen (there is one in Carnegie too)
                                      Dahntahn - Tower Diner (I worked there...it's a habit)
                                      East End - Pamela's is ok but way too crowded...go to Ritter's!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Tue, 10/3/06 7:58 AM (permalink)
                                        Sheetzaholic-
                                        You mention several breakfast spots here in da 'Burgh I'm not familiar with. Can you tell me more about O'Leary's, Barb's Country Kitchen and Tower Diner? I'm especially interested in Barb's, since my girlfriend lives in Carnegie and we love to go out for breakfast.

I haven't been particularly impressed with Mullen's. It has great classic diner atmosphere and the location across the street from the Heinz plant is awesome, but I thought the food was lacking. Obviously your experiences have been better?

Sheetzaholic

• Total Posts: 51
                                          RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 10/5/06 5:58 PM (permalink)
                                          BuffetBuster: Mullen's has enough atmosphere to make up for the food which is ok (corn beef hash is the exception and exceptional). Plus, you can get an Ahrn for breakfast. Enough said. Barb's in Carnegie is around the bridge. If you are heading away from 279 make a left. I can't remember the exact street name n'at, but you could Google. O'Leary's is a greasy spoon on the 1400 Block of Carson. You'll see a Starbucks...keep walkin' to O'Leary's. They have a bunch of shamrocks on the window advertising specials.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 10/9/06 2:19 PM (permalink)
                                            Sheetzaholic-
                                            The one time I had breakfast at Mullen's, I saw people having an Iron, which struck me as odd and very, very Pittsburgh. What do you recommend at Barb's Country Kitchen?

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                                              RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 10/9/06 2:38 PM (permalink)
                                              quote:
                                              Originally posted by buffetbuster

Sheetzaholic-
                                              The one time I had breakfast at Mullen's, I saw people having an Iron, which struck me as odd and very, very Pittsburgh. What do you recommend at Barb's Country Kitchen?

What is this Iron you mentioned? And is it the same as an Ahrn, whatever that might be?

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 10/9/06 2:45 PM (permalink)
                                                Michael Hoffman-
                                                Ahrn is Pittsburghese for Iron City Beer. I should realized that not everyone knew that.....

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                                                  RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Mon, 10/9/06 3:29 PM (permalink)
                                                  quote:

Michael Hoffman-
                                                  Ahrn is Pittsburghese for Iron City Beer. I should realized that not everyone knew that.....

Thank you. I thought it was some sort of specialty breakfast item in Pittsburgh.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Wed, 10/11/06 11:35 AM (permalink)
                                                    In a previous post, I extolled the virtues of Bob's Diner in Greentree, right outside of Pittsburgh. Well, it is no longer there and has been replaced by a place called Eggs-R-Us, I believe. I ate there on Sunday and recognized most of the waitstaff and I was led to believe that it was bought by people who worked there previously. Sadly, all the Bob themed stuff is gone, but the menu looks the same and the food was just as good if not even better. I particularly loved the homefries that came with my omelette.

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                      • Roadfood Insider
                                                      RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Wed, 10/11/06 11:53 AM (permalink)
                                                      Buffetbuster,

Have you ever been to CC's in Mount Lebanon?

They had a really good breakfast which included eggs, ham, a huge pancake and potato pancake too.

I'm heading back to Pittsburgh for a wedding a week from Saturday
                                                      Unfortuntely no roadfood for me- very strict diet so I can enjoy the wedding!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Wed, 10/11/06 9:44 PM (permalink)
                                                        Wanderingjew-
                                                        No, I'm not familiar with CC's. I dated a woman from Mt. Lebanon for two years, who lived right off of Washington, so I am surprised I have never been there. She always liked to go to Tom's Diner in Dormont, which never impressed me all that much. I will definitely seek CC's out and let you know what I think.

Too bad about no Roadfood while you are here!

wanderingjew

• Location: East Greenwich/ Warwick, RI
                                                          • Roadfood Insider
                                                          RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Thu, 10/12/06 8:55 AM (permalink)
                                                          quote:

Wanderingjew-
                                                          No, I'm not familiar with CC's. I dated a woman from Mt. Lebanon for two years, who lived right off of Washington, so I am surprised I have never been there. She always liked to go to Tom's Diner in Dormont, which never impressed me all that much. I will definitely seek CC's out and let you know what I think.

Too bad about no Roadfood while you are here!

I went to Tom's Diner a few times- I really enjoyed their Gyro Omelette. I recall going there a few times for dinner too.

I was dating a girl who lived in Scott Township who took me to the Gab n Eat in Carnegie. Although its been a long time (over 8 years ago) I remember enjoying their breakfast too.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh Breakfast Fri, 10/13/06 9:11 AM (permalink)
                                                            wanderingjew-
                                                            I'm a big fan of the Gab 'n Eat. As good as their breakfasts are, their burgers are even better. And I always meet really interesting people there, too. Unfortunately, my girlfriend, who lives in Scott Twp., practically across the street from the place won't go there. So I don't get to eat there as often as I would like.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12345 > | Showing page 1 of 5, messages 1 to 30 of 141

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com