Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pittsburgh fish sandwiches

Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 131
Shirley U. Jest

• Total Posts: 48
RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 11/24/08 8:33 AM (permalink)
one of my favorite sandwich's is the Grouper Reuben.
After eating it, 6 yrs ago.. I've never touched corned beef in a reuben again.. just too salty for people watching their bloat content.....

Grouper isn't salty.
it works perfectly.

Islamorada Fish House in Hollywood FL and Islamorada Key Florida makes them perfectly.

craigs48

• Total Posts: 1
    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 03/14/09 7:46 PM (permalink)
    North Hills Fish Sandwiches.......
    Kretzler's on Babcock Blvd. is tops. Delicious, big, not too expensive.
    Perrytowne Tap House -  Delicious, big, a tad more expensive.
    Willies - Big, a little on the bland side but ok, overpriced
    North Park Lodge - overrated, meals there are big, but bland
    Outside North Hills - of course The Oyster House and a plug for Armand's in Bloomfield.
    I'm sure there's plenty of others around town, but those are my favorites in the neighborhoods I'm usually in.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 06/22/09 8:04 AM (permalink)
      Over the weekend, I had a couple really good fish sandwiches.

On Saturday, I was downtown and decided to eat at Wiener World.  I had every intention of getting a couple of dogs or maybe a kielbasa.  But when I saw the sign for the fish, I knew that is what I had to get.  In their Roadfood review, the Sterns have good things to say about the fish.  Unfortunately, I have never been able to get one myself.  Since the only times I am here is on Saturdays, they are usually out of fish sandwiches, having sold them all the day before.  Here is what I was given:

This was three lengths of what I am assuming was cod, broke in half and placed on a bun.  You sure don't get cheated here, do you?  This sandwich cost $7.00.  I was asked if I wanted tartar or cocktail sauces.

Obviously, you can't pick up this sandwich and eat it this way, so I took four of those pieces and snapped it into small chunks and dipped them into one of the sauces.  The fish was lightly breaded and tasted very fresh.  I am so glad I finally got to try one of these.

My buddy Mike and I have a bit of a tradition.  Our fathers passed away within a couple of months of each other about a decade ago.  So, we usually get together on Father's Day.  Yesterday, we went and ate at Big Jim's in the Run, which the waitress said was located in Lower Greenfield.  Some of you may recognize the place from their appearance on D, D & D.  Mike had never been here before and I knew that the bar food type menu would really appeal to him.

He thoroughly enjoyed his jalapeno poppers and chicken parm hoagie (the waitress had a strong Pittsburgh accent and I enjoyed hearing her say hoagie).  The homemade wedding soup was too salty for my taste, but my fish was first-rate.

As you can see, this is a fairly long bun.  And still, the two fish fillets are much too long for the bun.  These were firm, substantial lengths of cod and I was unable to finish all of this.  This cost $7.95, although they also offer a smaller fish sandwich.
      <message edited by buffetbuster on Mon, 06/22/09 8:09 AM>

eruby

• Total Posts: 587
        • Roadfood Insider
        RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 06/22/09 9:19 AM (permalink)
        Excellent picture of the Big Jim's sandwich buffetbuster!  I've been going to Big Jim's for many years, and have never had a bad meal there.  I try to squeeze it in each visit to Pittsburgh but it doesn't always work out.

Great veal parm sandwich there to, and I really like the stuffed banana peppers.  Agree the wedding soup is a  bit salty, but very full of meatballs and pasta.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 06/22/09 9:50 AM (permalink)
          eruby-
          Thanks!  It sounds like Big Jim's is one of your favorites in Pittsburgh.  I have had the wedding soup before, but don't remember it being that salty.   My usual dish when I go is the chicken parm, but I recently had someone tell me they make a great reuben, too.  Along with the stuffed banana peppers you mention, I will try that next time!

The Travelin Man

• Total Posts: 3699
            RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 06/22/09 10:04 AM (permalink)
            After seeing Big Jim's on DD&Ds, I thought that they were an Italian restaurant?  This was one of the places on my short list of places to hit - should I make it to Pittsburgh some time soon. 

eruby

• Total Posts: 587
              • Roadfood Insider
              RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 06/22/09 10:27 AM (permalink)
              buffetbuster - the reuben is very good as well;  my sister-in-law gets it all the time. Ditto on the chicken parm, and too big to finish.

A place I love for the fish sandwich (though it's an Italian place with all-around great food) is Persichetti's in Jeannette.  The waitresses there always recommend  Pitzer's Townhouse (just around the corner) for the best fish sandwich, but I still haven't been.  That's the trouble with visiting Pittsburgh, too many places with too little time.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Mon, 06/22/09 11:21 AM (permalink)
                eruby-
                Thanks for the tips on the fish sandwich places in Jeannette.  Living north of the city, I don't get out that way much, but now I have a reason to.

TTM-
                Sorry, that hint was a little too subtle.  Could you spell it out more for me?

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 03/18/10 9:59 AM (permalink)
                  With this being lent, the Post-Gazette wrote up a couple of other places to get good fish sandwiches.

http://www.post-gazette.c..g/10077/1043516-440.stm

Having never been to either place, I look forward to trying them.

Coincidentally (or is it!), the rival Trib also reviews Hook Fish & Chicken this week.

http://www.pittsburghlive...ooddrink/s_672145.html

<message edited by buffetbuster on Thu, 03/18/10 10:02 AM>

Ralph Melton

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 03/18/10 11:11 AM (permalink)
                    I sampled the Edgewood location of Hook Fish and Chicken in February, and I felt it did not shine compared to Al's Fish and Chicken in Wilkinsburg. The food was only so-so, and I had to wait about twenty minutes for my food.

This was when Pittsburgh was still trying to dig out from its heavy snow, so it might not have shown itself at its best.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 03/18/10 11:14 AM (permalink)
                      Thanks Ralph.  I will probably try one of Hook Fish and Chicken's other locations then.

Ralph Melton

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 03/18/10 11:18 AM (permalink)
                        I also have fond memories of the fish sandwich from Donatelli's Italian Grocery in Bloomfield. I haven't been there in a while, but I remember this as a flavorful sandwich about the volume of a football, with enough bun to hold onto the generous portions of fish. My usual approach was to eat half hot on the day I bought it, and eat the other half cold the next day.

MiamiDon

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 03/18/10 11:31 AM (permalink)
                          Surprised me for a minute, BB.  There's a Hook Fish & Chicken about 800 yards from my house.  But the article seems to indicate that the ones in PA are not related to the two here.

badbyron722

• Total Posts: 307
                            RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 03/19/10 10:01 AM (permalink)
                            Grouper is my favorite fish.

leslie638

• Total Posts: 25
                              RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sun, 04/11/10 10:33 AM (permalink)
                              Buffetmaster, I am real familiar w/ Nied's Hotel's fish sandwich.  It is up there w/ other named sandwiches.  Jimmy Nied & I are really good friends, as a matter of fact, I went to his wedding in Tapei.  Now there's a food experience. 
                                   The kids in our neighborhood (Lawrenceville) all have had his fish growing up.  It was the only restaurant we were allowed to go to to.  Paul Nied kept us all in line.  And if anyone got out of line, we were promptly reported to the catholic school we attended and because it was the local pub, our parents would eventually hear about it too!  It's a nice family place where everyone makes an attempt to know your name.  Jimmy's amphitheater will be opening soon where local bands play.  Truly a fun night under the stars.   

BillyB

• Total Posts: 2851
                                RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 04/29/10 11:12 AM (permalink)
                                It looks like it just takes Fish and bread to make a fish sandwich in PA, how unoriginal do they look ????????????? they would throw those Fish sandwiches back in California, Hawaii, Mexico, Seattle ............Billyb

blue heaven

• Total Posts: 488
                                  RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 04/29/10 12:32 PM (permalink)
                                  Hey billyb those are fighting words for us pittsburgher's!  LOL  The fish is so delicious that is all you need with a little tartar sauce and lettuce and tomato.

BuddyRoadhouse

• Total Posts: 4086
                                    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 04/29/10 2:30 PM (permalink)
                                    Hey there bb,

On our recent trip to your town I was determined to try one of these renowned sandwiches.  I thought I was in luck as one of our demos was actually scheduled to take place at Wholey's.  I figured I'd grab a sandwich and take a few minutes break to wolf it down.

Unfortunately that darned waiting line never went sufficiently down to the point where I thought I could spare the time away from my demo table.  At the very end of the day the line had died down just enough that, although I couldn't wait for a fish sandwich, I could grab a couple of cups of their excellent lobster bisque and clam chowder.

The next day we were working at a couple of McGinnis Sisters stores.  As we pulled up in front of the Monroeville store there was a sign, a wooden cut out of a giant fish, proclaiming that today was Fish Fry Day.  After getting Dad set up at his demo and before I left for my store up in Mars, I stopped at the counter and ordered a Fish Sandwich.

I'm no expert on these things, having only had one Pittsburgh Fish Sandwich in my life, but I gotta tell ya, this was one fine sandwich.  Nice crisp crust on a light flaky filet that overhung the large bun on both sides by a good inch and a half.

The only thing I wished was better was the tartar sauce.  All they had available were the little tinfoil packets (Heinz, 'natch).  Too bad they don't take the time to make their own tartar sauce to properly compliment this excellent piece of fish.

I'll try to make the time for Wholey's next time we're passing through.

Buddy
                                    <message edited by BuddyRoadhouse on Thu, 04/29/10 2:36 PM>

BillyB

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 04/29/10 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                      IMHO ,three things make a good/Great fish sand ..No1 Good batter, crisp to the bite, and nice white flaky fish. No2 Great tartar sauce.No3 the bread... A real good piece of fish cooked/fried to perfection demands more respect than a run of the mill hamburger bun. ...The vegetable is a person choice , lettuce, beefsteak tomato ( I put my tomatoes in this week) Avocado slices..............Billyb

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17851
                                        RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Thu, 04/29/10 7:17 PM (permalink)
                                        BillyB

It looks like it just takes Fish and bread to make a fish sandwich in PA, how unoriginal do they look ????????????? they would throw those Fish sandwiches back in California, Hawaii, Mexico, Seattle ............Billyb

Why would any sentient being wish to ruin the taste of a fish sandwich by adding anyting other than, perhaps, tartar sauce?

Buffalo Tarheel

• Total Posts: 492
                                          RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 04/30/10 6:35 PM (permalink)
                                          Mrs. Buffalo Tarheel and I enjoyed the fish sandwich we had at Wholey's with Buffetbuster and Mariton back in March.  We plan to eat there again early next week during our quick trip to Pittsburgh.  We have slowed down on our Buffalo (NY) fish fry report, but so far we have found nothing that beats the sandwich from Wholey's.  Outstanding sandwich!

BillyB

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 04/30/10 7:02 PM (permalink)
                                            Michael Hoffman

BillyB

Why would any sentient being wish to ruin the taste of a fish sandwich by adding anyting other than, perhaps, tartar sauce?

Same reason they add things to every Hamburger and sandwich in the world. Maybe in Restaurants call plain Jane, or Humdrum, they would serve plain borning fish on a bun..........Billyb

Michael Hoffman

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 04/30/10 7:12 PM (permalink)
                                              BillyB

Michael Hoffman

BillyB

Same reason they add things to every Hamburger and sandwich in the world. Maybe in Restaurants call plain Jane, or Humdrum, they would serve plain borning fish on a bun..........Billyb

I guess it's been a long time since you've had a fried haddock sandwich in Connecticut.

BillyB

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 04/30/10 8:54 PM (permalink)
                                                Michael Hoffman

BillyB

Michael Hoffman

BillyB

I guess it's been a long time since you've had a fried haddock sandwich in Connecticut.

Ok, That was a low blow, bringing up a piece of flaky Haddock, fried to perfection, and melts in your mouth. I need to make a trip back there. New England is a great place to eat roadfood................Billyb
                                                <message edited by BillyB on Fri, 04/30/10 8:55 PM>

Michael Hoffman

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Fri, 04/30/10 9:03 PM (permalink)

mayor al

• Total Posts: 15073
                                                    • Location: Louisville area, Southern Indiana
                                                    • Roadfood Insider
                                                    RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 5:18 AM (permalink)
                                                     I am quite satisfied by a 'very crisp' hot and freshly fried fish fillet sandwich. I like the fish to be a white fish like Haddock, Flounder, or even Catfish, on a simple piece of white or light rye bread, with a little tartar sauce. I do prefer the southern-style breading which is usually a cornmeal based coating. I fell in love with the Nashville version  identified at "Hot Fish Sandwich" The spicy addition cooled by a LITTLE of the mild tartar sauce really makes a good sandwich Great !

Here's an example of the Nashville version. Sorry about the missing bite. I couldn't wait to taste it!

<message edited by mayor al on Sat, 05/1/10 5:35 AM>

BillyB

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 7:30 AM (permalink)
                                                      Shirley U. Jest

one of my favorite sandwich's is the Grouper Reuben.
                                                      After eating it, 6 yrs ago.. I've never touched corned beef in a reuben again.. just too salty for people watching their bloat content.....

Grouper isn't salty.
                                                      it works perfectly.

Islamorada Fish House in Hollywood FL and Islamorada Key Florida makes them perfectly.

Walk into any Jewish deli and say that, they will shoot you on the spot, in fact I may shoot you and I'm not even Jewish................Billyb

BillyB

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 7:34 AM (permalink)
                                                        Michael Hoffman

I bet you made it over to Jimmies in Savin Rock, back in the day.........also remember eating large stuffed and baked clam walking home from the boys club in Bpt Ct.....................Billyb

Michael Hoffman

• Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 11:33 AM (permalink)
                                                          I practically lived a Jimmie's from the time I ws little. My standard order was a couple of hotdogs, fried clams, a couple of lobster rolls, fries and a pineapple drink. Of course I'd begin with a dozen clams on the half shell. When they moved after West Haven made them shut down Turk's and Phyllis's and Jimmie's, and you couldn't just walk up to the windows and order -- and eat standing on the sidewalk in front --  it was never the same.

BillyB

RE: Pittsburgh fish sandwiches Sat, 05/1/10 1:00 PM (permalink)
                                                            I think it was the fried clams and the lobster rolls I remember the most. I always had a doz cherry stone clams on a half shell, every place I went. I remember people used to go fishing to Quincy Mass, and come back with a barrel full of flat fish.......Billyb

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345 > | Showing page 3 of 5, messages 61 to 90 of 131

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com