The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Pittsburgh hot dog joints

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 2 of 10, messages 31 to 60 of 286
rfox

• Total Posts: 20
RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 9:22 AM (permalink)
Interestingly enough, it's been about two years since I was last at Frankfurters; I had no idea Marty was no longer there. The couple of times I've attempted to stop at New York Hot Dogs in Carnegie, they were closed. My wife's boss claims her husband loves the place. The one thing I did notice, was a Boar's Head sign on the window, so I'm assuming that is what they're selling there.

There is also a place in a plaza in Wexford that has Vienna Beef dogs that are pretty good. The name is something like Three Sons Sudz & Dogs, but that may not be exactly correct.

I'm in Butler and it's tough to find a good dog here. Last summer, I ended up taking my wife and 7-year old daughter(who is on her way to becoming a hot dog connoisseur) to Chicago just to sample all the famous dogs.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 10:07 AM (permalink)
    rfox-
    First of all, Welcome to Roadfood!

What about the Burger Hut? I don't think I have ever met anyone from Butler who didn't think highly of the place.

Thanks for the tip about 3 Sons Dogs & Suds. I have never been there before and I work only minutes from there. If I can manage it, I am going there for lunch today.

http://www.3sonsdogsandsuds.com/main.asp?ID=6

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 2:47 PM (permalink)
      Thank you for the kind welcome. I've been a long time lurker and thought I'd go ahead and start posting.

For some reason, Burger Hut's hot dogs don't do it for me. I find them to be rather ordinary. I also find the burgers to be a hit or miss affair. The best hot dog in Butler is probably the angus beef dog that Natili's North serves. They put it on a toasted and buttered bun and it's always pretty good.

A new hot dog shop opened here about a year or so ago, but they serve the cheapest pork mixture dog that's pretty disappointing once consumed. New Castle's Coney Island is kind of the same, yet their dogs taste a little better for some reason.

I still haven't made it to the place in Regent Square (the name escapes me now). Have you had any experience with them?

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 2:56 PM (permalink)
        I should also add that, in desperation, the local Target carries the Vienna Beef weiners. So, if the urge really hits, that's an option. After returning from Chicago last year, I went into hot dog withdrawal. I ended up ordering up a bunch of Vienna dogs from their site and having them shipped.

KOK

• Total Posts: 333
          RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 3:04 PM (permalink)
          Dee's Six Packs and Dogs (in Regents Square) is pretty good, though when I was there last year the waitress couldn't believe I wanted fresh fries instead of the cold dead basket she brought. It's also good as you can make up a six pack of various single beers to try a wide variety.

Don't sell the Vienna Beef combo at Target short. At $2 for a quality dog and soda, it's a very under-ratted quicky lunch/snack.

Kevin

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 3:16 PM (permalink)
            rfox-
            I'm glad you quit lurking and I hope you become a regular contributor. The fact that you are raising your daughter to be a hot dog connoisseur tells us all we need to know. If you have any suggestions on where to get a good fish sandwich, there is a thread about that under sandwiches.

Back to hot dogs.....

I did go to 3 Sons Dogs and Suds for lunch. I wanted to ask the frankmaster exactly what brand meats he uses, but he got really busy and I had to run. Still, it was a really good dog (I got the Frankfurt and the Warsaw) and they are very generous with the amount of sauerkraut and other toppings they put on. I will definitely go back.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 3:34 PM (permalink)
              KOK-
              I have never been to Dee's Six Pack and Dogs, although I have heard really good things about it. I have generally tried to stay away from Regent Square as I always have trouble finding parking there. Maybe I just don't know the secret places. Give me the Southside anytime!

ScreenBear-
              I have only been to the Pickle Barrel one time and thought it was great. Did not get the hot dog, though. Unfortunately, when I am in that area with my buddies, they always want to go to Fat Head's. I'm gonna have to make a trip by myself sometime in the near future. And I agree that Pittsburgh does have a decent hot dog culture. Its not exactly Chicago, Buffalo or North Jersey, but we do love our hot dogs here.

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 3:41 PM (permalink)
                quote:
                Originally posted by buffetbuster
                KOK-
                I have never been to Dee's Six Pack and Dogs, although I have heard really good things about it. I have generally tried to stay away from Regent Square as I always have trouble finding parking there. Maybe I just don't know the secret places. Give me the Southside anytime!
                You're right about the parking in Regent Square. Usually have to go down a side street and walk a ways. And there are more fashionistas and sophisticates than I care for, what with the boutiques and the Art House Cinema. MUCH rather be at Big Jim's, though Dee's is good now and again.

K

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 5:28 PM (permalink)
                  Oh, I wasn't shorting the Target Vienna Beef combo; I'm thankful for it on a regular basis.

The last time I was at 3 Sons Dogs and Suds, I believe they were serving Vienna Beef, also.

I haven't been to the Pickle Barrel in awhile, but did enjoy the decor and food. Lots of dogs to choose from there.

What's everyone's thoughts on the PNC Silver Star dogs? I have to say that the Silver Stars are lacking somewhat for my own taste. I actually preferred the old steamed Kahn's weiners.

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/11/07 5:29 PM (permalink)
                    K, what and where is Big Jim's?

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sun, 05/13/07 5:10 PM (permalink)
                      Having never made it to Weiner World, how is it and what kind of dogs do they serve?

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
                        RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sun, 05/13/07 8:01 PM (permalink)
                        I haven't been checking my Roadfood forums regularly enough lately, so this is a very late reply to Buffetbuster's 5.2.07 inquiries.

I cannot recall the name of the Lawrenceville Bar. It is on the Allegheny River side of the street between 35th and 37th. There's an entrance for the drinkers and one for the eaters. I'll try to get out there this week and try to impress the name of the joint on my mind while I eat a couple of footlongs. If you wanna meet for lunch, I'm up for it.

As for fish sandwiches, several years ago a friend of mine and I had a different fish sandwich every Friday in Lent and then kept on going for several weeks after Easter. His favorite was one of the several Wholey's variations, but mine was and is the Original Oyster House version. Happily, there are lots of good ones out there, which I would be happy to list when I find the other thread.

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 05/14/07 8:40 AM (permalink)
                          quote:
                          Originally posted by rfox
                          K, what and where is Big Jim's?
                          Big Jim's is a restaurant/bar off 376/22 (the Parkway, I think) kind of between Regent Square and downtown Pittsburgh and south of U of Pitt. They have excellent and huge sandwiches (the fish and veal parm ar my favorites) and all the classic 'Burgh specialties like wedding soup and stuffed banana peppers. Never a bad meal at Big Jim's

Thanks,

Kevin

Big Jim's
                          201 Saline St, Pittsburgh
                          412-421-0532

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 05/14/07 2:42 PM (permalink)
                            rfox-
                            I think Weiner World is very good and I would place on a level or maybe just a notch below the "O". Unfortunately, I can't tell you what type of dogs they use. The Sterns also recommend their fish sandwich, but everytime I have tried to order it they were out.

http://www.roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=115&RefID=115

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 05/14/07 2:46 PM (permalink)
                              Kenny Joe-
                              Under normal circumstances, I would be happy to meet you for a couple of dogs. Unfortunately, I am in the barrel at work this week. Ask me again another time. If you get the name of the place in Lawrenceville, I would appreciate you letting me know.

Here is the thread for Pittsburgh fish sandwiches:

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17453

Kenny Joe

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 05/14/07 5:10 PM (permalink)
                                The name is Frankie's. If you want a picture of the side of the etsablishment and the footlong, as served, go to:
                                http://urbangutcheckchallenge.com/12_2005/frankiesrun.asp
                                Three sandwiches are available in addition to the footlongs: hot sausage, kolbassi and meatball. All are $2.25, tax included.

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 05/14/07 11:49 PM (permalink)
                                  Buffetbuster -

Thanks for the Weiner World link. Looking at the photos, I'm thinking I have to get down there soon to try it out.

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 05/15/07 4:33 PM (permalink)
                                    I noticed in the paper this morning that there's a hot dog place in Market Square, Dogs Dun Wright. Has anyone had any experience there?

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 05/16/07 10:36 AM (permalink)
                                      Below is a Post-Gazette link to a Munch article on Dogs Dun Wright. If the hours are only Mon-Fri 11 to 3, it will be harder to hit this place on Burgh visits than it was to go to Yovi's which was at least 9-5 (usually) Mon-Fir.

DDW sounds pretty good.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06278/727334-46.stm

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 05/16/07 11:16 AM (permalink)
                                        Kenny Joe-
                                        I appreciate the info on Frankie's. It sounds like my kind of place!

KOK-
                                        Thanks for the link to the article in the PG. It is too bad that they have such limited hours and since I don't work downtown, it will be very difficult to get there. The only reason I made it to Franktuary is that I was on jury duty.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Fri, 05/18/07 9:03 AM (permalink)
                                          Kenny Joe-
                                          A buddy of mine and I made it to Frankie's last night. It really isn't too much to look at, but I loved the feel of the place. They do have a small menu, but those sausages being grilled right there sure did look good. I went for the foot long, since that is why I was there and I ordered it with chili and cheese. I liked the dog itself and the chili had a really nice taste to it. But I wish I would have skipped the cheese since it was just gloppy nacho cheese. The taste of the cheese overpowered everything else.

Next time I go back, I am going to get a foot long with chili and onion or maybe kraut. And definitely try one of those great looking sausages, too. How are their meatball hoagies?

Thanks again for telling me about this place. I never would have found it on my own.

Kenny Joe

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sun, 05/20/07 10:36 PM (permalink)
                                            The only menu item I've had is the foot long. I agree with you that the sausages look good and the only thing that has kept me from gobbling one up is a minor defect of mine: When I find something I like, I have trouble exploring the other options. (My wife does not see this as a defect.) I also agree that the cheese is to be avoided. As for the meatball sandwich, a friend had it once, and he gave it very faint praise.
                                            I think it is safe to say that Frankie's is an excellent establishment, but the atmosphere and character of the place contributes more than the quality of the grub.

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 05/21/07 9:58 AM (permalink)
                                              Went to the Burgh last minute Friday night and was able to make it to the Pickle Barrel Saturday. All I can say is Grand Slam!

Foot-long dogs with casing that had a great snap. Home made perogies that were as good as I've had (though when they said butter and onions I thought they'd cook the onions in butter, not put butter ON the perogies). They also had a pseudo-Primanti thing going as some burgers (also darn good) come with toppings AND fries as well.

I had the foot-long with chili and kraut, and a side of just made fries that were excellent, along with potato and cheese perogies (they had potato and onion and also kraut perogies). As previously posted, the roll was oversize and not just a generic bun with hot dog sticking out both ends.

They had Uncle Charlie's hot sausage on the menu which I'll have to pencil in for next time.

Pickle Barrel is one of the best recs I've ever seen on Roadfood - Thanks very much!!!!

Kevin

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 05/22/07 1:39 PM (permalink)
                                                Hmmm.... I must give the Pickle Barrel another try. This is the second rave review for it.

I did go to Jim's Drive-in in West Mifflin on Sunday. They are best known for their hot dog sauce. It kind of looks like a bbq sauce/chili mix and I can't quite pinpoint what it tastes like. But, it is good. I did get a bottle of the sauce to take home. I also enjoyed the perfectly toasted buns they use.

While I was eating, I noticed another guy eating a hamburger with the sauce on it. I asked him how it was and he said he preferred the burgers to the dogs. He also told me that Heinz had once tried to buy the hot dog sauce off of Jim's for a million dollars. Needless to say, I found this hard to believe. I went back up to the order window and asked if that was true. The owner came over and confirmed that Heinz did try and buy the sauce off of his dad back in the 1940s, but it sure wasn't for a million dollars.

What do others think of their sauce? What do you think it tastes like?

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
                                                  RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 05/22/07 3:42 PM (permalink)
                                                  Rfox, I haven't been to Big Jim's in several years, but always enjoyed their belly-bustin' Italian hot sausage and Parm pasta. I's a little hard to find, so here's a map link:

http://foodpage.us/71230?showmap=1&toz=

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
                                                    RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 05/22/07 3:59 PM (permalink)
                                                    Here's another Big Jim's link:

http://iheartpgh.com/?p=272

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 05/22/07 4:31 PM (permalink)
                                                      I used my Garmin on the way to Big Jim's on Sunday, but when it wanted to take me far out of the way to get there, I ignored it. Luckily, I had been outside it before and so knew exactly where it was. So, it could be tricky if you are going for the first time or using your GPS.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 05/24/07 2:28 PM (permalink)
                                                        Didn't have anything better to do last night, so I headed down to the Pickle Barrel for dinner. I really like the atmosphere here, especially all the vintage lunch boxes on display.

I ordered the Pittsburgh dog which came with cheddar & Mozzarella cheese, black olives and honey mustard. Why this is called the Piitsburgh dog, I'm not sure, but it was quite good. The bun seemed to be slightly toasted, which I liked also. I also got an order of the homemade pierogies with cheese, since they were out of the ones with kraut and thought they were quite tasty, too.

They seem to have a fairly big menu and I plan on going back and trying more things.

KOK

• Location: Westminster, MD
                                                          RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 05/24/07 3:26 PM (permalink)
                                                          Per this article (link below) it's a Pittsburgh dog as it's black and gold "A Pittsburgh Style ($2.50) hot dog is a foot long, of course, and covered with shredded cheddar and mozzarella, honey mustard and black olives -- black and gold, get it?"

What time where you there as the article said Mon - Sat 8 to 4.

Thanks,

Kevin

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/tribpm/s_477904.html

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 05/24/07 3:40 PM (permalink)
                                                            KOK-
                                                            Ah, that explains it. I didn't know if us yinzers were famous for putting honey mustard on hot dogs or not. Hey, we put fries and cole slaw on sandwiches, so anything is possible.

I remembered from the past that they closed early. So, I did call ahead and they said they were open until 9:00. Maybe it is a summer thing.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 2 of 10, messages 31 to 60 of 286

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 2 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com