The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Pittsburgh hot dog joints

Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 3 of 10, messages 61 to 90 of 286
KOK

• Total Posts: 333
RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 05/24/07 3:51 PM (permalink)
Good to know that (at least for the summer maybe) they're open a bit later. I was glad to read you went to Jim's Drive-In on a Sunday as I thought they were closed like the Pickle Barrel.

It's tough to pack in, Jim's, Dee's, the Pickle Barrel, Big Jim's and Armstrong's (one of my favorite Italian's in Castle Shannon) when not are all open Sunday.

I also saw a fish sandwich on the Pickle Barrel menu so I'll have to add that to my list with the Uncle Charlie's sausage there.

Kevin

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 05/24/07 3:57 PM (permalink)
    KOK-
    I also called Jim's Drive-in ahead of time make sure they were open on Sundays. They told me they open at 3:00. I arrived a little ahead of schedule at about 2:45 and they were already serving customers.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/4/07 11:46 AM (permalink)
      mattyb15601-
      I finally made it to Steve's New York Hot Dogs on the Northside on Saturday morning.

I got there about 10:00 and there was only one seat open at the counter, so I grabbed it. Interesting clientele they have. The woman to the right of me had electric blue hair and kept mumbling to herself how dizzy she was. The woman to the left of me smelled terrible and was smoking right in front of the no-smoking sign. But, I was there to eat hot dogs, so.....

I noticed just about everyone else was eating breakfast. Still, I ordered two dogs, one with sauerkraut and one with chili, mustard and onion. The dogs themselves were fine, but I really enjoyed the chili, which was a classic Coney Island type sauce. I also got an order of fries which were just okay. The people who worked behind the counter seemed really nice and were real pros.

Next time I am in the area, I am going to try the other two places. I can't remember which one it was, but the place on the left of Steve's seemed the busiest of the three.

Thanks again for the tip on these places!

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/4/07 1:47 PM (permalink)
        Even though it isn't in Pittsburgh, I thought I should write about another hot dog place I made it to over the weekend.

My girlfriend and I were on our way to the Spillway at Pymatuning. We stopped at a place called Eddie's Footlong Hot Dogs, which is between Meadville and Conneaut Lake. Eddie's is entirely outside seating and you go up and order at the counter window. While waiting in line, I asked a few people already at a bench eating how good the dogs were and they all raved about them.

I got one with "The Works", which is mustard, catsup, relish, onions, sauerkraut and sauce, which is the chili. This is a little more than I prefer on a wiener, but this was one great dog! I don't know what brand of meat they use, but it had a great snap to it and was full of flavor. They also use a high quality bun. My girlfriend's order of french fries were also delicious. They were thick cut and still had the potato skins on the back.

If you are driving around NE PA, this place is well worth the stop in. They are open 10:00AM to 9:00PM daily, but I do believe they close in the winter.

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
          RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/4/07 1:59 PM (permalink)

And while visiting the Spillway, don't forget to bring along a loaf of bread for feeding the fish!!!

http://www.roadsideamerica.com/attract/PALINcarp.html

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/4/07 2:09 PM (permalink)
            GeoNit-
            Isn't the Spillway a great place? We didn't take any bread with us, but there is a little self-serve place just a couple miles down the road where it is two loaves for a dollar. If you buy them at the concession stand, it is a dollar a loaf.

Anyway, it was the first time my girlfriend had been there since she was little and we had a great time!

smarchit

• Total Posts: 32
              RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/4/07 6:29 PM (permalink)
              The Spillway is truly an amazing example of Darwinism in action LOL!! I haven't made it up that way in a few years, but it is definitely one of those freak roadside things that everybody needs to experience at least once.

Back to the hot dog theme, there's another good mini chain located mainly in Beaver County, which is just northwest of Pittsburgh. The Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe has it's original location and company offices in New Brighton. They also have Beaver County locations in Rochester Boro, Ambridge, Chippewa, and Vanport, as well as one Allegheny County location on University Blvd. in Moon Twp. near the Pittsburgh Airport. They are known for their Chili/Cheese Dogs, and Chili/Cheese fries. A local institution! They also have some prettty decent omelettes and other traditional breakfast items if you get there earlier in the day. They don't advertise it on the menu, but if you want, they will sell you containers of just their chili or just their cheese to take home.

The restaurants are decorated with jerseys and pictures of the local high school athletic teams. It's also quite possible to start an unweildy hotdog "souvenir" collection from them...the plastic cups that their regular sized sodas are served in change roughly once a month (depending on the individual shop's inventory). They all have hot dog themed cartoony designs, mostly parodying cliche movie phrases, as well as the seasonal holiday themes. Unfortunately, every time I start to build up the collection, my wife decides it's time to clean out the cupboard

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/4/07 10:44 PM (permalink)
                smarchit-
                I'm glad you brought up the Brighton Hot Dog Shoppe. You didn't mention the Cranberry location, which is the closest one to me. A couple chili dogs, chili cheese fries and a banana milkshake make a fine meal.

rfox

• Total Posts: 20
                  RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 06/5/07 4:27 PM (permalink)
                  Toula's is next to Steve's on the north side. It's been awhile since I've been to Toula's, but I remember the dogs and fries being pretty good.

On the subject of Brighton Hot Dogs, they just announced they're building one here in Butler, PA. While I like them ok, I'm not crazy about their dogs, but it'll still be nice to have one locally.

smarchit

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 06/5/07 10:19 PM (permalink)
                    Buffetbuster....good catch...I knew I had to be missing at least one in there somewhere. Cranberry (technically Marshall Twp.) is actually probably the easiest one for an out of towner to visit, as it is just off the Cranberry exit of both I-79 and the PA turnpike/I-76. It is on US 19 Southbound, just north of the interstate interchanges.

Owly

• Total Posts: 8
                      RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 06/19/07 2:16 PM (permalink)
                      first post, pals

so- i'm originally from Meadville, so i've got quite a bias towards Eddie's Footlong Hot Dogs. Amazing grilled footlong on a pretty good lightly toasted bun. you HAVE to get the sauce. kraut is pretty good too.

i've lived in pittsburgh for a year now, and i've hit The Pickle Barrel, Weiner World, Frankfurter, and i'm heading to Jim's Drive In this weekend. all have been very good. i think i'm a pretty good judge because for the past 3 years i've been a part of the one of the original hot dog tours that travel through central and north jersey every summer. 11 hot dogs in one day...such a sweet sweet pain.
                      some of my all time favorites are Charlies Pool Room (Alpha), Potts(Nazareth), Eddies Foot Long(Meadville), and Amazing Hot Dog (Verona)

just sayin HI, folks

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 06/19/07 2:27 PM (permalink)
                        Owly-
                        Welcome to Roadfood! And hopefully, we will hear lots more from you......

I am glad to hear you are a fan of Eddie's, too. When I was up there a few weeks ago, we basically just stumbled upon it, even though I vaguely remember being there years earlier. I guarantee it won't be that long until I go back.

Please tell us about Amazing Hot Dog in Verona. I have never heard of them. Since the US Open is over, it might be safe to go back in that area again.

Owly

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 06/19/07 3:37 PM (permalink)
                          buffetbuster

yeah- i worked at eddies for a summer when i was 16. the sauce is the best part

sorry- should have been a bit more specific. Amazing hotdog is in Verona NJ. really a sneaky place too. i'm normally not a fan of places in strip malls, but this place was awesome. 1/4 lb dog that is grilled with bacon wrapped around it. potato bun i believe. lots of specialty dogs, but i had the "Jersey Breakfast" which was the bacon wrapped dog laid on a fried egg in the bun and topped with american cheese. yikes

i'm sure this has been posted here, but its a nice reference
                          http://www.hollyeats.com/HotDogPage.htm

amazing: http://www.hollyeats.com/AmazingHotDog.htm

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 06/20/07 10:50 AM (permalink)
                            Owly - I sometimes go to a big kids soccer tournament At Edinboro in June (I think this year's is done) and usually stay in Meadville. Can you give directions to Eddie's and also tell me the hours? The motels in Meadville are just off the highway (right near Cracker Barrell - Rt 79 I think).

Thanks,

Kevin

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 06/20/07 11:28 AM (permalink)
                              KOK-
                              Here is Eddie's website:

http://www.eddiesfootlong.com/

Owly

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 06/20/07 1:22 PM (permalink)
                                KOK-

yeah- those hotels and Eddies are on 322. if you head a couple miles west towards Conneaut Lake on 322 you'll see eddies on your right hand side, right before you reach Wal Mart.

if you're out that way, you should DEFINTELY take the time to go to Hanks Frozen Custard as well. Hanks is also on 322, maybe 3-4 miles further west than Eddies, a little closer to Conneaut Lake. it is worth the trip. is a NWPA tradition.

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 06/20/07 2:24 PM (permalink)
                                  Thanks for the link Buffetbuster (and curse my lazyness to do a web search)

I appreciate the custard rec Owly. I usually visit Pittsburgh and with gas prices up and up it will be good to have a lunch AND dessert place to make the trip north of Pitt seem more justifiable. I guess I could also throw in the Grove City outlets.

If ONLY I'd known about Eddie's for last year's tournament

Kevin

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sat, 06/23/07 9:50 AM (permalink)
                                    mattyb15601-
                                    I stopped in at Toula's on Federal Street in the Northside this morning. What can kick start your morning beter than a couple of chilidogs at 8:00 AM? I ordered two with chili, mustard and onion plus they automatically put pickle on them. Not too bad, although nothing special. I was really surprised by how hot the chili was, though. The people behind the counter were really nice.

I wouldn't go out of my way to go back, unless I was in the mood for something realy spicy.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 06/25/07 2:21 PM (permalink)
                                      Owly-
                                      You mentioned you were headed for Jim's Drive-In this past weekend.....did you make it? What did you think?

smarchit

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sat, 07/14/07 10:34 PM (permalink)
                                        I was up around the Pymatuning Lake Spillway today, and made it a point to swing over to Eddie's Footlong Hot Dogs on the way home. Definitely a great call to cap off a fun summer day in the state park!! But for anyone else trying to get there....it is very easy to miss, especially coming from I-79. The building view they show on their website actually faces the side street, instead of the main highway. With the surrounding greenery, it sits back just far enough to hide from the casual traveller. If you are approaching from the west, you MAY see this sign , which is angled towards the highway a bit. But there is just as good of a chance that it will also be hidden by the cars in the parking lot.

We were going to head back across town to Hanks Custard for dessert, but found an equally enticing little ice cream shop just across the side street from Eddie's called Casey's Ice Cream and Candies (Their sign is actually a better landmark for finding Eddie's IMO). Casey's was a great find as well, with at least about 15-20 different flavors of homemade hard pack ice creams and sherbets. Large homemade waffle cones made on the premises, as well as fresh candies and fudge, which is inserted into some of the ice cream flavors. YUM!!!

Feed the fish at the Spillway. Then go about 3-4 miles down the road to the Linesville Beach area of the lake for a dip. Spend a little time on the adjacent playground/park area, then head on down the road for some footlongs and ice cream! Hard to get a better (and cheaper!) summer Saturday of fun than that!!

Kenny Joe

• Total Posts: 193
                                          RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Mon, 07/16/07 10:10 PM (permalink)
                                          Possible good news for those of us who enjoy the Dirty O and believe its days are numbered. According to WTAE:

Oakland's "Dirty O" is staying put. The decision, according WTAE Channel 4's news exchange partners at the Tribune-Review, came almost two years after it was announced the decades-old landmark was switching out the grease for the last time.

Of course, here we are dealing with at least two levels of not extremely trustworthy sources. I never see many people in the "O," no matter what time of day, so would not be surprised if I heard of its demise, notwithstanding this story.

buffetbuster

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 07/17/07 6:58 AM (permalink)
                                            Kenny Joe-
                                            That is good news. I hadn't heard anything about it for a while. To lose an institution like the "O", with so much history would be a real shame. Now if they could only do something about cleaning up the bathrooms!

GeoNit

• Total Posts: 378
                                              RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 07/17/07 9:57 AM (permalink)

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Tue, 07/17/07 4:29 PM (permalink)
                                                Great to hear the O is staying open. It's hard to imagine Oakland without it.

Yesterday, I went to the new D's location in Monroeville. I had the triple cheese dog and I have to say it was excellent. I'd never been to the Regent Square location, so I was happy to see the new one. I was also glad to see they use Vienna Beef dogs. Anyway, the hot dogs are highly recommended.

KOK

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Wed, 07/18/07 11:02 AM (permalink)
                                                  Hi rfox,

Where in Monroeville is the new D's? I may be up the end of the month and a D's and Moio's stop would work out well.

Thanks,

Kevin

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 07/19/07 9:14 AM (permalink)
                                                    Kevin,

If you turn where the Palace Inn is, take a left at the next light. D's is about 1/4 mile down that road, on the right hand side (can't remember the name of the road right now). It looks like D's took over an old Pizza Hut building. Again, it's worth the trip - the hot dogs were very good.

randy

KOK

• Location: Westminster, MD
                                                      RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 07/19/07 1:36 PM (permalink)
                                                      Thanks Randy, I know just where you mean. It sounds like it's pretty near that Max & Erma's and the Outback off the Turnpike interchange. I think it's Northern Avenue or something like that. Much more convenient than Regent's Square AND very close to Moio's.

Did they have the big beer selection like at Regent's Square?

Thanks again!

Kevin

rfox

RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Thu, 07/19/07 4:07 PM (permalink)
                                                        They seem to have a pretty large selection of beer. Man, a day of great hot dogs AND Moio's is pure bliss for the ol' stomach.

randy

propertydamage

• Total Posts: 18
                                                          • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
                                                          RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sun, 07/22/07 5:55 PM (permalink)
                                                          GREAT NEWS "BURGH" DOG FANS
                                                          The news is the "O" is off the market and will remain open at all present locations for now.

Also when you are in the South Hills and want a great dog stop at Hank's Dog House, 2500 W. Liberty Ave., Pittsburgh, PA 15226.

A must have is the Hank's Special with Hank's secret chili sauce, onions and mustard.

paw320

• Total Posts: 1
                                                            • Location: Pittsburgh, PA
                                                            RE: Pittsburgh hot dog joints Sat, 08/4/07 8:42 PM (permalink)
                                                            I had the greatest dog at Dogs Dun Wright. Called the Great One, Chili cheese and onion with the coolest grlled bun. Just like the old G.C. Murphy's. Oh and their open 7am to 6pm

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: < 12345678910 > | Showing page 3 of 10, messages 61 to 90 of 286

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com