Hot!Pittsburgh hot dog joints

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Author
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10402
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/03/02 11:36:02 (permalink)
Johnny's Lunch, a small hot dog chain, recently opened a location in Cranberry Twp, PA.  This would be about a half hour north of the city.

My buddy Mike recently called me one morning letting me know it had opened and I stopped in that day for lunch.  Not knowing how big these hot dogs are, I ordered three.  These are big enough that two would easily satisfy most normal appetites.

First up is the Spicy Buffalo,

with bleu cheese, hot sauce, American cheese and onions on it.  This was a seriously messy hot dog, but I am a big fan of the bleu cheese/hot sauce combination and this was my favorite of the hot dogs I tried.

The web site describes the wieners as 100% Black Angus Beef Hot.  The wieners are sliced in half and grilled, which may be difficult to see in the photos.  It certainly does seem like a quality wiener.  The buns are soft and spongy.  I haven't quite made up my mind yet whether I like them or not. 

The other two hot dogs were the Jersey Slaw (on the left)

and the Johnny's Famous.  Why they named the slaw dog after Jersey, I have no idea.  Sounds like poor research on their part.  Still, the slaw was cool and creamy and I liked the addition of the tasty brown mustard, also on the dog.

The Johnny's Famous is the standard chili (which they call Johnny's Signature Sauce), onions and mustard.  I probably prefer my onions to be diced a little smaller, but still a good hot dog.  I also got a milkshake, but it was way too thin and I won't be ordering it again.

Over the weekend, I brought my mother, who is a big hot dog lover, to Johnny's Lunch.  She loved it so much she was back the very next day.

http://www.johnnyslunch.com/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/03/02 11:38:16
LeadBelly
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 93
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/03/04 22:33:16 (permalink)
buffetbuster

LeadBelly-
Glad to read of your visit to Pittsburgh.  I hope you thoroughly enjoy your food stops and the Warhol Museum.  Which restaurants do you plan on visiting? 

Gee.... real sorry I didn't see this on the day you left it. I'm going to be in Pittsburgh the 18th, 19th and 20th. As a result of this topic I was going to eat hot dogs for three days. But looking into a few blogs and using the search function here, well, I got a list and I'm still working on it. 

Here's the list:

Shorty's - this is your fault... the pictures and the location looks too good not to drive down to Washington. Pa
MP coney Island ...a trip to New Castle ....a different kind of hot dog that from the photo looks to good to pass.
Pittsburgh dogs ( went to the dirty O my only time in Pittsburgh.. the dogs and fries were great, parking was a nightmare.)
  Wiener World
  Franktuary - hot dogs in a church.... how can you pass on that
  Dormont dogs - good looking slaw dog.
  3 sons dogs and suds -  a hot dog and a great choice of beer ...sounds great for a nightcap
  station street  hot dogs
  Wholey's fish sandwich - just looks too great to pass if I'm going to see the strip.
  Pierogi's plus... I remember these from when I was a kid. Gotta have some
  Dicarlo's pizza - never had the cheese put on last.. and I'll be staying at the Marriott North in Cranberry Twp.
  Franks Pizzeria in Ambridge, Pa. - I read a blog that said this is the best pizza in the area. 

The one I've been on the fence about is Primanti's. And maybe I'm wrong about this but Primanti's for an outsider kind of strikes me like Pat's steaks when I lived in Philadelphia. I kept insisting that there are about fifty places better than Pat's in Philadelphia, but that's what they insisted they couldn't miss. And now that I'm in the position of being the tourist, Primanti's was on the top of the list when I first started it . But the more I looked into it the farther down the list it fell. Now its kind of maybe not. 

What I'd really like to try more than a Primanti's is turkey devonshire, but not sure where to get that . But even without that I'm still trying to work out how many places I could possibly visit in the amount of time I have. The problem is that I still want to spend time at the Warhol museum and with 12 hour roundtrip... not sure how many places I can actually get to. But I'll see what happens. I'm already seriously considering a second trip in October in order to find the turkey sandwich and stop in places I couldn't get to outside the city. Maybe Primanti's then.

Pittsburgh seems like one hell of a good eating town. 

Allan

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/03/05 10:17:54 (permalink)
LeadBelly-
You got to love the ambition of your list.  As for turkey devonshires, the best in the city is made at Union Grill in the Oakland section of the city.  It is outstanding and easy walking distance from the Original Hot Dog Shoppe.  Also within easy walking distance from these two places is Pittsburgh's best ice cream, Dave & Andy's

If you are in Ambridge and want pizza, it would be a shame not to try Pizza House, better known to everybody as Police Station Pizza.  Similar to DiCarlo's, they put the toppings on cold.  You can always stop in and grab a square or two.

http://www.roadfood.com/Restaurant/Reviews/6768/union-grill

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/03/05 11:23:05 (permalink)
My buddy Mike and I went to a new hot dog place last night.  It is called Ryan's Sports Dogs and is located well north of the city in Zelienople/Harmony.  It opened just a few weeks ago and they haven't even had their grand opening, yet.

They have a huge menu, with each dog named after a sports team.  Mike's two were the Browns and the Bearcats.  The Browns (on the left)

has Cleveland's own brown stadium mustard and onions.  The Bearcat is Cincinnati chili, mustard, onions and cheddar cheese.  While I was still taking photos, Mike bit into his Bearcat and was making some serious yummy noises.

My two were the Mountaineer (on the left)

and just a regular hot dog, with chili, mustard and onion.  The Mountaineer has cole slaw, yellow mustard, onions and chili.  I wish the cole slaw was more finely chopped and a little creamier.  And the chili on the regular dog was different, since it was in large chunks that included tomatoes and peppers.

They us Berk's all beef dogs here and they have a wonderful snap when you bite into them.  The hot dogs are grilled to order (it took a good ten minutes to the hot dogs) and you can see the grill marks in the photos.  The buns are Martin's potato rolls and you can get them buttered or steamed.  I went with steamed on my hot dogs.  This place obviously tries to do all the little things right.

Side-wise, they had quite a few things that looked good, but I went with the sweet potato fries,

which were excellent!

They said they are still working out the kinks, but Ryan's is off to a great start, IMHO.  Since they are so close to my house, I plan on visiting often in the next couple weeks and should have some more photos.

http://www.ryanssportsdogs.com/%3C/a%3E%3C/font%3E 
Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/03/10 18:54:01 (permalink)
Another new shop is Hot Franks at Penn & 27th. The bun and dog appeal to the 10 year old Kenny Joe - squishy white bread bun and mildly tasty skinless dog. The chili that you are encouraged to put on your dog appeals more to the adult Kenny Joe. It has a kick one does not find in most chili destined to top a dog. It also has a small hint of cinnamon that is common only in Cincinnati. Other sandwiches are available.
There must be another location somewhere because the sign outside this newly opened established claims that Hot Franks has been in Western Pennsylvania for 40 years.   
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 902
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/03/11 14:10:32 (permalink)
I've chatted recently with Nardo Bernardinelli, proprietor of Hot Dog Heaven. He says he's resolving things with the Health Department, and expects to reopen about April 1.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/04/06 08:30:01 (permalink)
LeadBelly-
I saw in another thread you mention that you visited Shorty's Lunch.  Any chance you could do a quick write up of where you ate at in Pittsburgh?  I had been curious.
JonBattle
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/04/06 10:02:33 (permalink)
Anyone remember "

The Original Hotdog Shop: Historic Eatery in Oakland....I used to eat here in my Pitt days (1964-1968).

How does it stack up to current faves in Pittsburgh?

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/04/06 10:49:36 (permalink)
Jon-
I didn't know you went to Pitt.  The "O" or "Dirty O" is still going strong.  I am definitely a fan of the place, although more for their fries than the wieners.
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/06/16 15:34:47 (permalink)
[font="verdana, arial, helvetica, sans-serif; font-size: small; line-height: normal; "]On Sunday, we finally got around to trying Jim's Drive-in in West Mifflin.

Jim's has a special sauce for its hot dogs; it's mellow brown, translucent, and smooth, with flecks of spice. The sauce was noticeably spicy; I felt my lips glowing afterward. It was tasty; I would get it again.

I am far from a hot dog connoisseur, so I have trouble judging the hot dog. Both the hot dog and bun were griddled to be nearly black in places, but that worked well for this dog.

The french fries were good, but the cheese sauce was probably a mistake--it was no better than one would expect any melted nacho cheese to be.

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/06/16 15:38:19 (permalink)
Nice photos Ralph!  That hot dog sauce at Jim's is unlike anything else I've ever had.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 679
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/06/17 06:56:12 (permalink)
It looks like Jim's has a big new sign since the last time I was there. 

I like Jim's well enough (though as Ralph noted, the dogs/buns can be a bit overdone at times), and the sauce is excellent (they sell bottles to go), but what I don't like is no matter if there are five people in line or no one in line, they always say we'll call you when it's ready and it always seems to take 10 minutes.

Perhaps this has changed since I was last there a couple years ago, but does it really take that long to toast a bun?  Jim's is also very close to my brother in West Mifflin so it's easy to take a quick run over.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/06/17 13:54:03 (permalink)
A couple Fridays ago, my buddy Mike and I drove to Frankfurters in Bellevue.  We got there at 5:15 and they were closed, which was very frustrating, because I had called earlier in the day and was told they are open until 6:00.  No matter, we had an excellent meal at Pierogies Plus instead, before going to the Pirate game.

Tuesday night, I was going to Pirate game again, so I stopped in at Frankfurters and was glad to see the open sign.

The pleasant young woman greeted me warmly and kept up a running conversation the entire time she was preparing my food.  I went for the Buffalo dog and another dog with chili, mustard and onion.

The Buffalo dog had hot sauce, blue cheese and in the true spirit of Pittsburgh food, had fresh cut fries on top.  The wiener was nice and plump, with a distinct snap when you bit into it.  Very good hot dog.

The chili dog was not as good, but that was mostly my fault.  According to one of the co-owners, Brian (also, a very friendly guy), they went back to the chili recipe original owner Marty Armstrong used to use.  This is a thick, meaty chili, which also is on the sweet side.  The sweet chili and the yellow mustard was too much of a clash of flavors.  Next time, it will be the chili dog without mustard and I'm sure I will be much happier.

From what Brian told me, they are working hard to get back all the original customers of Marty's, that the second owner drove away.  I am one of those people and I can happily say that Frankfurters is back and in my good graces again!

Frankfurters
564 Lincoln Avenue
Bellevue, PA
412-459-0400
post edited by buffetbuster - 2010/06/17 13:56:07
Ralph Melton
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/10/14 00:02:17 (permalink)
I tried Hot Franks in the Strip this evening. 

I wasn't very impressed with the hot dog; it felt dense and tough, sort of the opposite of a juicy snappy dog.
The Hot Franks Super Sub was tastier; it was basically an Italian sub with a few other meats.

Still, I won't be yearning to return soon.

Hot Franks
2701 Penn Avenue
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/11/23 11:05:21 (permalink)
Nice article in The Trib on Pittsburgh hot dog joints.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/email/s_709452.html?_s_icmp=et
ScreenBear
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1505
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/11/28 23:52:37 (permalink)
Whenever the subject of Pittsburgh hot dog purveyors arises without mention of The Pickle Barrel, I feel a need to reprint this:

When sojourning in Pittsburgh, it’s apparent that this is a town with a hot dog culture. 

Among my favorites is the Pickle Barrel, which you’ll find at 1301 East Carson Street on the South Side…a funky, on-the-comeback area loaded with all sorts of interesting stores and restaurants. The Pickle Barrel serves a foot-long Smith's Provision frank out of Erie, cooked on the griddle, about a 5 or 6 to a lb., 65% beef, 35% pork. 

They top the dogs about 12 different ways, mostly named after regional preferences: i.e.- Chicago, with peppers, tomato, etc., all for about the same price: $2.50. Adorning the wall, several signs describe what beautifies each dog…though there is no hot dog listed with mustard and kraut or mustard and sautéed onions and thus delineated as a N.Y. dog. But that’s OK. I order my own, Weequahic Section, Newark, NJ. Style Sweetworks (mustard, kraut & relish) and they’re pleased to accommodate. 

A best seller is the Pittsburgh. It’s the foot-long with mozzarella cheese, shredded cheddar cheese, black olives and honey mustard. I’ve never tried one, but ultimately will…perhaps next time. Y’know, when in Rome. 

Additionally, the roll is impressive…a Schaible. All too many places serve foot-longs on small rolls that prove unwieldy. But this is just right, fresh, bountiful with taste, making more of a meal out of the whole affair…and thereby legitimizing the foot-long concept. Ask for the roll toasted. It’s better that way. I also ask for the frank cooked a little on the crispy side. They’re happy to oblige. 

In any case, for about $6, you could have yourself a pretty good meal. I also usually notice people sharing large portions of hearty French Fries, including what looks like a concoction smothered with gravy, cheese and pieces of bacon. Actually, I think The Pickle Barrel is as popular, if not more popular, for their breakfasts as for their dogs. There’s a good-sized counter and several booths, old luncheonette style. 
The phone # is 412-431-1114. Just tell ‘em the guy from Jersey sent you. 

The Bear 

eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2010/11/29 08:26:04 (permalink)
Well done ScreenBear.  Haven't been in a few years but always love the Pickle Barrel.

Wen't to Hot Franks last Wednesday.  The hot dog was a bit bland, but the spicy chili more than made up for it.  Very fresh fries too.  They had slaw as a topping, but I wasn't feeling 100% in my belly so just went with chili only.  Staff could not have been nicer.  Forgot to ask what they charge for additional toppings.  Chili seems to be included with all dogs.

Was sorry to see the Red Caboose was closed when we went by Friday.  They will re-open tomorrow, so I'll have to give it a go next trip.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/22 22:05:35 (permalink)
Oh no!  Watching the local news and there was a fire tonight at The Pickle Barrel.  Hopefully the damage won't be too bad.
Kenny Joe
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 196
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/22 22:11:13 (permalink)
It doesn't sound good - it's a three alarmer. I was just walking by there tonight at 6:58. (I noticed the time because the door was locked although there was a big sign saying that they were now open until 7 PM!) I get to the Pickle Barrel once or twice a week, so this will be a big loss for me if it is gone.
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/23 08:14:07 (permalink)
Video from the local news about the Pickle Barrel fire:
ScreenBear
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/23 09:43:24 (permalink)
This is really sad news. The Pickle Barrel was one of my 5 favorite hot dog restaurants in America. The foot-long Smith Provision beef/pork dog, griddled and placed in a Schaible roll, the most perfect bun I've ever had a foot-long frank in, was always a highlight of my visit. And though I'm no longer in Pittsburgh with any frequency, it just won't be the same the next time I am there with no Pickle Barrel to enjoy.

I can't believe Scott, the owner, didn't have the insurance necessary to do a rebuild, either in the current location or perhaps nearby. What a shame.

Indeed it hurts when one of your favorite eateries ceases to exist. I doubt I'll ever stop bemoaning the end of Syd's in the Vauxhall section of Union, N.J.

Here's hoping Scott, a very nice fellow, somehow figures a way to reopen. 
Bummed in New Jersey,
  The Bear
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/23 10:50:48 (permalink)
ScreenBear-
You are the first one I thought of when I heard about this.  We are all crossing our fingers they find a way to reopen.
John Fox
  • Total Posts : 2339
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/23 13:32:58 (permalink)
ScreenBear

This is really sad news. The Pickle Barrel was one of my 5 favorite hot dog restaurants in America. The foot-long Smith Provision beef/pork dog, griddled and placed in a Schaible roll, the most perfect bun I've ever had a foot-long frank in, was always a highlight of my visit. And though I'm no longer in Pittsburgh with any frequency, it just won't be the same the next time I am there with no Pickle Barrel to enjoy.

I can't believe Scott, the owner, didn't have the insurance necessary to do a rebuild, either in the current location or perhaps nearby. What a shame.

Indeed it hurts when one of your favorite eateries ceases to exist. I doubt I'll ever stop bemoaning the end of Syd's in the Vauxhall section of Union, N.J.

Here's hoping Scott, a very nice fellow, somehow figures a way to reopen. 
Bummed in New Jersey,
 The Bear

I'm bummed too, and I've never even been to Pittsburgh. As for Syd's, I still wake up in the middle of the night screaming after having a recurring nightmare about the closing of Syd's. My favorite place to grab a dog. Fortunately you can still get this same dog elsewhere.
ScreenBear
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/03/23 13:55:47 (permalink)
I know what you mean, John. And thanks, Buffet. Glad to know someone is concerned with my hot dog welfare. I, too,  hope Scott finds a way to start up again. Mr. Trump....are you reading?

The Bear
ScreenBear
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/04/12 10:20:12 (permalink)
Hope Springs Eternal in Pittsburgh:
http://www.wpxi.com/news/27389319/detail.html

The Bear

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/04/12 10:36:38 (permalink)
ScreenBear-
Thanks for the link.  That is good news and hopefully, he will be back open on the SouthSide again soo.  And from what I know about Wendy Betten, I'm not surprised she is helping out like this.  I may have to swing by this weekend.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10326
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/04/12 15:37:25 (permalink)
ScreenBear

The Bear

What an Act of Kindness! There's hope for this World yet.
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2011/05/19 12:39:12 (permalink)
ScreenBear

The Bear

I just spoke with the Hot Metal Diner and they are no longer doing the Pickle Barrel hours on weekend nights.  I'll probably be up there on May 27th and was hoping to go.  On the Hot Metal Diner website, it doeas say they are having a fundraiser for them on June 30th.  I didn't ask why no more Pickle Barrel nights.

http://www.hotmetaldiner.com/

buffetbuster
Porterhouse
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2012/02/10 08:35:02 (permalink)
As pointed out to me by Ralph Melton, the previously discussed Station Street Hot Dog Shop is under new management and has gone upscale.  Kimchi dog anyone?
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
Re:Some Pittsburgh hot dog thoughts 2012/02/10 09:05:28 (permalink)
Sweetbread Dog? Really?

I liked Station Street Dogs and usually went there in conjunction with a trip to Trader Joe's.  While I applaud their culinary flair, I just don't see it with hot dogs.

Next trip to Pittsburgh, it'll be back to Jim's Hot Dogs in West Mifflin. Where you wait 20 minutes even if there's no one else in line.

Page: << < ..678910 > Showing page 8 of 10
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1