Pittsburgh

Author
prius
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 109
2004/10/27 17:46:36 (permalink)

Pittsburgh

Will be in Pittsburgh after Thanksgiving. Other than Primantis, where are the local Roadfood gems?

21 Replies Related Threads

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4609
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/28 10:41:29 (permalink)
    I'll suggest that you start you research by reviewing the listings at:

http://www.roadfood.com/Search/SearchResults.aspx?ps=1&s=PA&c=pittsburgh&kw=&ob=ri.restaurantname

and then take a look at the Pittsburgh listings on this page:

http://www.hollyeats.com/IndianaAndIllinois.htm
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 218
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/28 11:17:01 (permalink)

I agree with TJ Jackson. Do a little research on the Roadfood boards. Buried on page 11 of the Where Should I Eat thread is another on Pittsburgh eateries. It would also be helpful to mention what part of the city (or suburbs) in which you will be staying. Hope that this is helpful.

www.Roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4049
    carlton pierre
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2500
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/28 17:15:02 (permalink)
    This is not roadfood but certainly was a fun place. The old Clark bar factory downtown was a neat place to hang out. There are lots of others but I don't remember their names. Is it Ft Washington where the cable cars go up, another neat neighborhood to check out.

carl reitz
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/28 17:33:23 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by carlton pierre

Is it Ft Washington where the cable cars go up, another neat neighborhood to check out.

Mount Washington, not Fort Washington.

Are you looking for breakfast places? Try Pamela's on Forbes Ave. in Oakland. Fantastic breakfast; always wins best of the city.

For pizza, try Vincent's Pizza Park on Ardmore Blvd in Forest Hills.

Primanti's (which you've mentioned) is definitely one to try. Go to the one in the Strip District, though. As they've opened other locations, they get cleaner and more chainy. The South Side, the Strip and the Oakland locations still look like dirty hole in the wall Primanti's.

If you're looking for a "nice" restaurant -- skip everything on Mount Washington. They're all overpriced and mediocre. Well, all but one. Isabella on Grandview is supposed to be fantastic -- we haven't been yet -- but it's all prix fixe at, I think, $75 per person.

Try any of this company's restaurants if you want a (pricier) great dining experience. Casbah is fantastic, Eleven is probably Pittsburgh's most New York restaurant and Kaya shines too. Mad Mex is fun California Tex-Mex...

[url]www.bigburrito.com[/url]
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/28 20:00:21 (permalink)

Also, try and get to Chiodo's Tavern in Homestead, PA before it is torn down by the end of this year. It is a piece of American history.

Check out www.Roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4209 for the sad details. The Sterns have reviewed it in the past also.
    -Tricky-
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/28 20:52:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by jm199

Also, try and get to Chiodo's Tavern in Homestead, PA before it is torn down by the end of this year. It is a piece of American history.

Check out www.Roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=4209 for the sad details. The Sterns have reviewed it in the past also.

I may be mistaken, but I thought it closed a few weeks ago.

_______
    Edit: Okay, I was mistaken. Rereading the Pittsburgh magazine article, the author only implies that Chiodo's is already gone. According to two sites I've seen it closes December 24.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/29 16:18:26 (permalink)

Trust me, Chiodo's is open. I was there last evening. I will ask Joe when the last official date is.

smapdie
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Pittsburgh 2004/10/29 19:11:33 (permalink)
    I second everyone's suggestions, and add that you should try the Bloomfield area. It's known as "Pittsburgh's Little Italy", and there are a lot of good Italian restaurants there (Mariani's is good, and I hear Del's is nice too). However, they do have a pretty diverse range of other cuisines as well. Tessaro's has the best burger in town. Try their potato salad; it's excellent. The Bloomfield Bridge Tavern serves Polish food, notably pierogies, a Pittsburgh favorite. There's a good Thai restaurant (Thai Cuisine, I think it's called) that I've been pretty impressed with, but I have to admit I have limited experience with Thai food. All of these are located right on the main drag, Liberty Avenue. One of my favorite restaurants in Bloomfield, though, is Taste of India. The murg (chicken) tikka masala is amazing. It's on Penn Avenue, which runs parallel to Liberty. Penn Avenue is a little grittier than Liberty, which I think is one of the most charming streets in the city. But if you like Indian food, I think it's a good bet. Plus, I hear it's in danger of closing. Since the hospital across the street closed, they've lost a lot of business. It's usually pretty empty. The decor leaves a little (ok, a lot) to be desired too, but it's reasonably priced and the service is great.

Sorry for the long post. What can I say? I'm a 'burgh chick through and through. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your visit and find some great Roadfood!
    ScreenBear
    • Total Posts : 1505
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/11/11 23:22:18 (permalink)
    I have a question about Polish food in Pittsburgh. I visit every so often, and have yet to find a really good Polish restaurant. I've been to one in a bar that's quite popular, but the food was only fair, the funky atmosphere a little too yesterday.

Pierogies come as an entree or side dish in all manner of restaurants in Pittsburgh. It's on menus in luncheonettes and diners...in Italian resturants. There's even a Pierogi Pizza, albeit poorly executed (I have an idea how it could be done better) at the Church Brew Works (a decent restaurant) on Liberty Avenue.

Still, there doesn't appear to be a truly fine Polish restaurant. The standard I use to judge by are the meals my Mom prepared when I was growing up, and now, Tania's Restaurant, Jersey City, NJ.

If anyone has the skinny on why a big city like Pittsburgh, with an obviously large Polish population, doesn't have a good, let alone a truly world class Polish restaurant, I'm all ears.
    The Bear
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/11/12 08:36:24 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

I have a question about Polish food in Pittsburgh. I visit every so often, and have yet to find a really good Polish restaurant. I've been to one in a bar that's quite popular, but the food was only fair, the funky atmosphere a little too yesterday.

Pierogies come as an entree or side dish in all manner of restaurants in Pittsburgh. It's on menus in luncheonettes and diners...in Italian resturants. There's even a Pierogi Pizza, albeit poorly executed (I have an idea how it could be done better) at the Church Brew Works (a decent restaurant) on Liberty Avenue.

Still, there doesn't appear to be a truly fine Polish restaurant. The standard I use to judge by are the meals my Mom prepared when I was growing up, and now, Tania's Restaurant, Jersey City, NJ.

If anyone has the skinny on why a big city like Pittsburgh, with an obviously large Polish population, doesn't have a good, let alone a truly world class Polish restaurant, I'm all ears.
    The Bear

If you're looking for a traditional Polish Restaurant in Pittsburgh, you're not going to find it. I kept wondering the same about Mineapolis- St Paul as far as Scandinavian Restaurants are concerned. However unlike the Twin Cities which appear to be ashamed of its Cultural Past and Traditions, Pittsburgh is definetely not.
    You will find many, many restaurants, delis and taverns that either have good Polish Food on the menu or are rotated as daily specials.
    There is one "sit down" restaurant that devotes itself to Polish Food, however it's more casual than traditional www.claraspierogies.com/page04.
    There are a couple of take out places too. Here is my favorite
    www.pierogiesplus.com/
    ScreenBear
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/11/12 09:05:44 (permalink)
    Wandering,
    Thanks. I couldn't open the one site, but was able to open the Perogies Plus site. It looks interesting. Maybe I'll go in Spring.
    The Bear
    kozel
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/11/12 11:25:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ScreenBear

Wandering,
    Thanks. I couldn't open the one site, but was able to open the Perogies Plus site. It looks interesting. Maybe I'll go in Spring.
    The Bear

Type in the link without the 'PAGE04', you'll get it.
    Wembly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 10
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/12/06 13:36:52 (permalink)
    Pamela's. There are two locations in the Oakland Shadyside area. But be sure to get there early for breakfast because there is always a line down the street to get it. It is worth the wait.
    Mosca
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2983
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/12/06 18:29:58 (permalink)
    I lived in Pittsburgh for my first 33 years, and I've lived in NE PA for my last 20. You don't see Polish restaurants because people won't pay restaurant prices for Polish food. I mean, how many pierogies do you have to sell, at $1.50 for 3, to make the nut?

But you can get GREAT Polish food at the local church bazaars during the summer and winter.
    ScreenBear
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/12/06 20:54:48 (permalink)
    I say a good Polish restaurant, middle priced, nicely appointed but not too fancy, would go over well either on Liberty Street near the Little Italy section, or down on Carson Street on the Southside. I'd go there...at least once.

Who says the time for medallions of breaded veal cutlet, deep-fried cauliflower and lobster filled pierogies accompanied by a kasha pilaf is not nigh? Not I.
    The Bear
    mr chips
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4727
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/12/07 10:36:40 (permalink)
    Squirrel Hill, the Jewish neighborhood had some great spots to eat and peruse.
    backfrmIraq
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 73
    RE: Pittsburgh 2005/12/30 10:09:15 (permalink)
    I would've recommeded the Norwin Diner on Route 30 in Irwin, but I've heard that it is closed....man they used to have the best pies....unreal pierogies were always easy to get every weekend at the churches around Irwin...made by babushkas with plenty of TLC....
    Poverty Pete
    • Total Posts : 2320
    RE: Pittsburgh 2006/01/04 18:30:33 (permalink)
    I guess I just don't "get" Primanti's. I was there this summer (the one on the Strip). It was as disappointing a Roadfood experience as I've ever had. The bread wasn't half sturdy enough to hold my double egg and pastrami. 1/4 of the way in, it fell apart into a totally inedible lump of goop. It was bad enough that I'm not going to give them another chance. IC beer was the only thing I finished.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7956
    RE: Pittsburgh 2006/01/04 18:50:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Poverty Pete

I guess I just don't "get" Primanti's. I was there this summer (the one on the Strip). It was as disappointing a Roadfood experience as I've ever had. The bread wasn't half sturdy enough to hold my double egg and pastrami. 1/4 of the way in, it fell apart into a totally inedible lump of goop. It was bad enough that I'm not going to give them another chance. IC beer was the only thing I finished.

Should have gotten the Kolbassi and Cheese- Yumm!!!
    bigjayzway
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Pittsburgh 2006/01/19 03:46:08 (permalink)
    You have got to try Frank and Shirleys!
    It's a small diner, not far from Brentwood.
    I tell you, you will love the food there!
    I use to live in the area, before going back to Canada, and this was my FAVORITE place to eat!
    Jay
    bigjayzway
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    RE: Pittsburgh 2006/01/19 03:53:00 (permalink)
    I must also say the big o'
    It is a fry place in the downtown core, near oakland just over the bridge.
    It is an absolute must for french fries!
    I have been known to drive there, just for the fries from Canada!
    YES they are that good!
    Jay
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1