Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food

Author
pittcurl
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
2012/05/22 18:04:23 (permalink)

Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food

I have an upcoming trip down south and when I travel I only go to the most unique places and only visit non-chain restaurants. Anyone have some good ideas of where to spend some stomach time with some good quality food? I figure on stopping around Beckley area, but if there's an interesting spot otherwise, I can change my plans. Also if any of you Charlotteers are out there, is there any place I must visit down there?

11 Replies Related Threads

steveindurham3
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/05/26 17:05:20 (permalink)
    If you are going I79 to hwy 19 to I-77 here are some places to try:

Parkersburg - Ritzy Lunch (great hot dogs) -reviewed on here
    There is an Italian place that is good but I can't remember the name.
    Oliverio's pepper shop

Fairmont -County Club Bakery (pepperoni rolls) reviewed on here
    Tomaro's (pepperoni rolls) reviewed on here

On Hwy 19 -Fayetteville (several places here)
    Cathedral Cafe - breakfast and lunch ( very good food - in an old chuch)
    Pies and Pints - great pizza place
    Gumbo's - Cajun
    Rezan's - eclectic

You can't go wrong with any of these places .

In Beckley there is Tamarack which has a cafeteria that has food cooked by the chefs of the Greenbrier Hotel (was good when I stopped there).
    Wabbit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 477
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/05/26 19:30:00 (permalink)
    Must say The Tamarack is a great place to stop, good food and a great place to stop and get a breath of air.
    rs303909
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 19
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 13:52:16 (permalink)
    If you are going to be in Charlotte, then a side trip up to Keaton BBQ for the spicy dipped chicken is well worth the drive. It's probably 30-40 min up hwy77 N to 40E to Cool Springs. One of the most unique takes on fried/bbq chicken there is and Top 5 Food to Try Before You Die by the Sterns.
    Charlotte itself, try Mac's Speed Shop on South Bvld for bbq, brisket and the smoked wings. The Roasting Co on Montford is great for rotisserie chicken with a Cuban flair, and if you like Vietnamese, Lang Van on Eastland is incredible, they even grown their own veggies/herbs in season.

kevincad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 410
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 14:04:38 (permalink)
    pittcurl

I have an upcoming trip down south and when I travel I only go to the most unique places and only visit non-chain restaurants. Anyone have some good ideas of where to spend some stomach time with some good quality food? I figure on stopping around Beckley area, but if there's an interesting spot otherwise, I can change my plans. Also if any of you Charlotteers are out there, is there any place I must visit down there?

In Charlotte, head to Price's Chicken Coop, out of this world fried chicken. Don't forget the sweet potato pie!

3 Olives
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 17:07:25 (permalink)
    kevincad

pittcurl

In Charlotte, head to Price's Chicken Coop, out of this world fried chicken. Don't forget the sweet potato pie!

Price's would be my first choice.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7900
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 17:11:52 (permalink)
    Price's was extremely disappointing and a big letdown when I visited last July- if you want overpriced skimpy chicken then go for it- it's take out only anyway

For a solid soul food sit down experience and good fried chicken go to La'wan's in Charlotte.

brentk
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 251
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 17:54:41 (permalink)
    I'll have to agree about Price's.  I lived in Charlotte for 10 years and never understood what the fuss was about.  Having made the trek from Pittsburgh to Charlotte many times, I am afraid there is just not that much chow-worthy on that route.  Keaton's is a worthy detour, but I generally stop at Tamarack.  Definitely above average for a cafeteria and I really like the Appalachian Mountain mustard sauces they put out as condiments.
    3 Olives
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 18:14:16 (permalink)
    I've been eating at Price's for 20 years and have never been disappointed. Most people know it is takeout only and that smaller chicken pieces cook more evenly, but some may not realize that.  $9.25 for a fried half chicken , generous helpings of cole slaw, tater rounds, hush puppies, and a roll are not overpriced.

Littleman
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 590
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 18:39:25 (permalink)
    In Wytheville, VA stop at Smokey's BBQ at Exit 70 or 73. Peking Chinese Restaurant is outstanding also. C J's Pizza is good if you have kids.

Smokey's BBQ @ 1090 East Main Street, Wytheville, VA 276 - 228 - 9014.
    http://smokeysbbq.com/
    Peking Chinese Restaurant @ 105 Malin Drive, Wytheville, VA 276 - 228 - 5515.
    http://www.pekingva.com/
    C J's Pizza @ 1025 West Lee Highway, Wytheville, VA 276 - 228 - 8448.

wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7900
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/11 18:52:36 (permalink)
    3 Olives

I've been eating at Price's for 20 years and have never been disappointed. Most people know it is takeout only and that smaller chicken pieces cook more evenly, but some may not realize that.  $9.25 for a fried half chicken , generous helpings of cole slaw, tater rounds, hush puppies, and a roll are not overpriced.

Perhaps if the sides were good-  the sides were so forgettable I actually threw mine out- it was a waste of calories. Theres much better fried chicken to be had in Charlotte. Although I'm still mourning the loss of the Coffee Cup and the Highland Mills Cafe.
    asromatifoso
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 2
    Re:Pittsburgh to Charlotte NC a Rt 77 Search for Unique Food 2012/06/28 22:18:06 (permalink)
    If you come through Greensboro, NC on your way to Charlotte, stop at Emma Key's for a burger. Best one in town in my opinion. They do a ton of business and it's in my neighborhood, so I go there a lot. If you are not in the mood for a burger, hit up the First Carolina Deli on Spring Garden Street and order an Italian Sailor: pastrami, sweet peppers, spicy mustard, pepperoni on toasted rye. Great sandwich! Stamey's is also in town if you want bbq. Reviewed on this site. Enjoy your trip.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1