Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/11 23:24:42 (permalink)
I grew up in central N.Y. where there's tons of great pizzarias. I now live in The Dallas- Ft Worth metroplex and again there's tons of great pizzarias. Now, most of them are owned by former New Yorkers or from N.J. and Conn. But it does show that you can get good and great pizzas below the mason-dixon line and I use to love Steve's pizza in north Miami Beach, plus they delivered til 4 a.m. My favorites here are Corky's old world pizza little rd Arlington Tx. Cooked in wood oven New Haven style and Italian Express mcart st Ft Worth for N.Y. style.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5066
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/14 19:19:30 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Theedge

I just had supper delivered from my favorite pizza place. As is becoming my custom, I of course took photos.

Looks good, but why is there cheese only in the "middle area" of the pizza, i.e. not evenly spread?
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8492
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/14 19:58:51 (permalink)
The sausage on that pizza looks awesome!!!I agree with Adjudicator about the cheese,though.I hate when pizza places dont spread the cheese on evenly(or close to it..)
xannie_01
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1481
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/14 20:05:16 (permalink)
the meat on that sandwich loks a tad skimpy.
bxfinest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/15 14:32:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by John A

I grew up on Tremont avenue in the Bronx in the early 50's, some of the best pizza to be had was on Fordham road. The only topping was cheese and extra cheese, to this day that's the only way I eat it.

A local place that use to be owned by folks from NY made an excellent pizza in Daytona Beach. Their only complaint was that the water is different than NY and it affected the dough. Alas, that was 20 years ago, they are now gone but there are still some very good pizza places here.

Yes I have profound memories of buying pizza on Fordham rd. There was this one place almost directly across the street from RKO Fordham movie theater that made a great pizza. The theater is gone but i beleive the pizza shop is still there. Forgot the name but their slices and soft cup italian ices were great. I grew up in the NE section of the Bronx right off E.Gun Hill Road where we went to Nicks Pizzaria. Great slices and the best sicilians I ever had anywhere. Calzone are official as well.

bxfinest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/15 14:43:32 (permalink)
quote:

I grew up on Tremont avenue in the Bronx in the early 50's, some of the best pizza to be had was on Fordham road. The only topping was cheese and extra cheese, to this day that's the only way I eat it.

A local place that use to be owned by folks from NY made an excellent pizza in Daytona Beach. Their only complaint was that the water is different than NY and it affected the dough. Alas, that was 20 years ago, they are now gone but there are still some very good pizza places here.

Have profound memories buying pizza on Fordham Rd. There use to be a place almost directly accross from RKO Fordham that made a great slice. Forget the name but their slices were excellent with a soft cup italian ices for a chaser. I'm now traped in Silver Spring MD. where the best pizza you can buy is from a joint name Guisepis(sp?) in Rockville Md. The family is from Pittsburg but the pizza is the closest thing to what you would get out of NY along with another spot called 3 Brothers. Other than that Maryland is a Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut town. Boy I miss NY!!!
David_NYC
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2165
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/15 20:44:47 (permalink)
Hey bxfinest, I feel your pain.

The last time I went on business to DC, my company was on a cheepskate kick. They put me up in a place in Rockville, from where I had to take the Metro to DC. They also had a $25 a day meal allowance, so I ate at Giuseppis. They were good. They now have a website:
http://www.giuseppispizza.net

On a earlier convention trip, I stayed in Silver Spring and ate at Mamma Lucia in Silver Spring. I went direct from a half dozen vendor hospitality suites and was feeling no pain. Mama Lucia's was pricy but that pizza sure tasted good, and the company paid for it.
http://www.mammaluciamd.com/
Scorereader
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5566
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/11/16 10:25:55 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by bxfinest

quote:

Have profound memories buying pizza on Fordham Rd. There use to be a place almost directly accross from RKO Fordham that made a great slice. Forget the name but their slices were excellent with a soft cup italian ices for a chaser. I'm now traped in Silver Spring MD. where the best pizza you can buy is from a joint name Guisepis(sp?) in Rockville Md. The family is from Pittsburg but the pizza is the closest thing to what you would get out of NY along with another spot called 3 Brothers. Other than that Maryland is a Dominos, Papa Johns, Pizza Hut town. Boy I miss NY!!!

you need to search out the DC area pizza thread. There's much much more than chain pizzas and Guisepie's around here.
and if your in a pinch and looking for a chain pizza, I'd hit Pizza Boli's wayyyy before the nat'l chains.
Jgrattan
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 9
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/12/07 12:42:51 (permalink)
Mama's Pizza in Alpharetta GA has totally decent NY pizza. Not amazing, but decent. Everything is fresh and made to order, the sauce is good & they have the right kind of fried mozzarella sticks.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/12/10 09:25:26 (permalink)
I have been a fan of Mellow Mushroom in the Atlanta area since the early '80s.
There may be better out there but when I am in the area, a Mellow Mushroom visit always occurs.

http://www.mellowmushroom.com/downloads/mushroom_menu.pdf
rmcielwain
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 618
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/12/12 09:27:34 (permalink)

There's now a Mellow Mushroom in Dothan - 84 West from the Circle, heading
out towards Flowers Hospital/Enterprise.
Adjudicator
Sirloin
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2006/12/25 08:27:18 (permalink)
First a Bojangles and now a Mellow Mushroom? There IS a Santa Claus.

tinydr
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 3
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2007/01/14 16:46:59 (permalink)
I have to agree with an earlier poster on the topic of pizza in New Orleans. In 2 years, I didn't find a single place that was even halfway decent. Admittedly, after awhile of eating awful stuff that barely qualified as pizza I gave up, who knows, maybe I missed-out.

Of course, pizza's such a subjective thing.

Still, I was always mighty confused by the NOLA-pizza situation, in the end I hypothesized that it must've had something to do with humidity.
tigerborn
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 52
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2007/01/21 00:44:07 (permalink)
Mellow Mushroom is a decent pizza chain that I discovered down South. While the trippy hippy theme can be a little offputting, the pizzas are good. I had a pineapple and onion individual pizza that was quite satisfying. It's a nice alternative to Domino's, Pizza Hut and the other pizza chains.
BrewHaHa
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 28
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2007/01/21 16:09:56 (permalink)
Johnny's Pizza based in Monroe, LA has a cult following. A beer-based crust makes for a delightful pizza that always brings 'em back. Try the "Sweep the Kitchen" for a local fave.
sftreat
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 50
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2007/01/21 16:28:21 (permalink)
there is a chain in the mid atlantic called ledo's pizza. Very thin crust and square. The original is in Hillandale, MD and it is still the best. A must try if you are ever in the DC area.
food is my life
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pizza Below The Mason-Dixon Line 2007/01/21 16:51:14 (permalink)
I was recently ruined for any pizza except for Chicago pizza; however my very favorite pizza in the south remains PISA PIZZA in Chattanooga. Those guys rock!
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1