Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge?

Author
kangolpimp
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 119
2003/07/06 13:03:49 (permalink)

Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge?

Here's a tip for any of you fortunate enough to have a pizza place in your area that offers huge pies (and therefore, huge boxes):

Saw that box in half! Anyone who orders from Domino's or Papa John's or Pizza Hut Or Little Caesar's probably doesn't have to worry about this, because their "large" pies are no bigger than 16 inches in diameter. But if your pie is typically 18 or 20 or even up to 24 inches, as many New York pies can be, then I bet you want to store the leftover slices in the box at times, but find that either the fridge door won't close, or even if it does, that box is still taking up too much room.

Don't throw away the half you saw. It will be used to fashion a mini box. The half you saw should be the front half - the non-hinged half. When you saw through both top and bottom you should be left with 3 pieces - the still-attached top and bottom rear portion with hinge intact, and the now-separated top and bottom front portion which should have the top flap that you will need to be able to close your mini box. Simply slide the separate bottom front half under the rear portion, and place the separate top half over the top hinge. Manipulate all flaps so they form a fit that will close, and the front top flap should now close as it did when the box was whole. If all goes right, this will be only half as deep as it once was, and should accomodate at least 4 of the 8 slices the pie came with (more if you stack them on each other using wax paper between the slices).

20 Replies Related Threads

VibrationGuy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 229
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/06 16:11:47 (permalink)
    What's "leftover pizza?"

Eric, Not Grasping The Concept
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/06 16:18:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

What's "leftover pizza?"

Yeah, sometimes I fail to grasp the concept myself. Still, I am a bachelor, and if I ate the entire pie before going to bed every time I ordered a pizza, I'd be worried about fitting thru doorways. Sometimes I'll eat half the pie, and store the other half in the fridge until it becomes my latenight snack, so even if it doesn't last til the next day, the fridge is its interim resting place.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/06 20:52:12 (permalink)
    It depresses me just to imagine day old cold pizza...
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/06 22:58:16 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by seafarer john

It depresses me just to imagine day old cold pizza...

Me too, sort of, which is why I always reheat in a slow oven until the cheese is bubbly. We New Yorkers are used to reheated slices, because unless you time it just right and wait for a pie fresh out of the oven, chances are that when you order a slice in any given pizza parlor, you are going to get a reheated slice. I am of the opinion that reheating a mediocre slice can actually improve it by crisping up the sides and turning a small portion of the cheese ever so slightly brown. A great pizza does not generally hold up to this theory, however, and is always best hot out of the oven the first time.
    BigGlenn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 461
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 00:07:53 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

Who needs an oven to reheat.

Turn your toaster on its side.

That way the cheese doesn't slide off.

Oh sure, then watch the Pizza Fly across the counter when
    the toaster ejects the slice! What, you think we Roadfooders
    are stupid? We all know that you put something next to the
    toaster to keep this from happening. LOL
    kangolpimp
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 00:46:08 (permalink)
    Anyone remember those round toaster pizzas, maybe 5 inches in diameter, with the cheese and sauce on the inside? I think they were made by Buitoni, but please correct me if I am wrong, cuz I'd like to remember correctly.
    seafarer john
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3481
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 11:19:21 (permalink)
    Something next to the toaster might include a fire extinguisher...
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 11:29:42 (permalink)
    My solution when I can't finish the whole pizza, is to get out some aluminum foil and create several packets of about 2 or 3 slices each !! Then I put them into the fridge for leftovers !!

I love leftover pizza ... in fact, more than I love hot pizza !!!

I eat pizza in the morning for breakfast straight from the fridge !! Still cold ! YUM !!
    Lone Star
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1730
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 11:33:56 (permalink)
    Me too! One of my favorite breakfasts.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 13:12:56 (permalink)
    I used to work with a guy who lived next door to a place that had great pizza in a town about 30 miles from our work, he would buy a pizza at night when he went home, put it in the fridge and bring it to work the next day so we all could have some good cold pizza for breakfast!
    hawkeyejohn
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 257
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 15:24:04 (permalink)
    Cold pizza from a local place called Pagliai's and coke were a standard breakfast in college.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/07/07 17:24:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BigGlenn

quote:
    Originally posted by pdxyyz

Who needs an oven to reheat.

Turn your toaster on its side.

That way the cheese doesn't slide off.

Oh sure, then watch the Pizza Fly across the counter when
    the toaster ejects the slice! What, you think we Roadfooders
    are stupid? We all know that you put something next to the
    toaster to keep this from happening. LOL

C'mon, where's the sport in that? Dig out that old catcher's mitt!
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/10/23 17:48:57 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by AndyNYC1

quote:
    Originally posted by VibrationGuy

What's "leftover pizza?"

Moreover...what is Domino's, Pizza Hut and Little Caesar's? I've eaten it, and it sure ain't pizza.

I always thought those "pizzas" should be called something else. They are ok to eat, but they are not pizzas.
    peppertree
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 305
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/10/23 17:53:05 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Lone Star

Me too! One of my favorite breakfasts.

One apartment I had in Queens did not have a good oven. It could heat up but not cook. I found out the hard way on chicken.

After that, I would buy a pizza on Sunday night and have four slices for breakfast on Monday and four on Tuesday. Tuesday night, I bought a pizza somewhere else and have four on Wed. and four on Thurs.

For breakfast on Friday, I would go to White Castle and have eight burgers and an order of fries with water. I noticed a sign once that said, "White Castles for breakfast? Why not." Saturday, I could get a free breakfast and lunch at work.

Usually I would try a different pizza every time. I found myself taking the subway out to Canarsie and Brighton Beach, just to get a pizza for my breakfast in my Astoria apartment.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/10/23 18:38:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by scbuzz

My solution when I can't finish the whole pizza, is to get out some aluminum foil and create several packets of about 2 or 3 slices each !! Then I put them into the fridge for leftovers !!

I love leftover pizza ... in fact, more than I love hot pizza !!!

I eat pizza in the morning for breakfast straight from the fridge !! Still cold ! YUM !!

I dont even put it in the fridge in the first place---room temperature pizza for breakfast has LONG been a favorite of mine---of course my wife thinks im nuts,but thats nothing new.I usually just stick the box inn the oven to keep the household pets out of it. Never had a problem with spoilage in 50 yrs of breakfast pizzaing.
    emmymom
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 94
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/10/23 18:44:44 (permalink)
    My sweetie remembers the round Buitoni toaster pizzas fondly...and wishes they would bring them back!
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7290
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2003/10/23 19:55:18 (permalink)
    Pizza box too large? Get a bigger fridge! But I have to admit I agree with tiki, why bother putting it away when you're just gonna polish it off for breakfast!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2006/06/01 15:10:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    I also never reheat a pizza just doesnt taste good to me.

I reheat it on my gas grill in the backyard. It is quite good this way as the crust gets a bit more crisp instead of mushy, as often happens with an over reheat.
    PapaJoe8
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5504
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2006/06/01 15:30:04 (permalink)
    I take leftover pizza out of the fridge ( stored in a zip lock bag ), nuk it till just warm, then toast it under the broiler, on my pizza pan that has holes in it. Crust is always crisp, pizza good! Tony's way sounds even better! Those pans w/ tha holes are a great invention I think. Mine is a non stick Cuisinart (spelling?). Good for frozen or left over pizzas.
    joe
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Pizza Box Too Big To Fit In Fridge? 2006/06/01 17:21:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by PapaJoe8

I take leftover pizza out of the fridge ( stored in a zip lock bag ), nuk it till just warm, then toast it under the broiler, on my pizza pan that has holes in it. Crust is always crisp, pizza good! Tony's way sounds even better! Those pans w/ tha holes are a great invention I think. Mine is a non stick Cuisinart (spelling?). Good for frozen or left over pizzas.
    joe

On the grill it only takes about 2 minutes...and best of all...nothing to clean. That is always a factor for me!

A friend told me to use the grill, and at first I thought it was a silly idea, but I actually prefer pizza this way now! We can get slices at local pizza joints, and I will often stop in for a couple and tell them not to heat them...and I'll heat at home.

One day when I have the Kettle hot with some coals I need to try it that way.

I also use my pizza stone in the gas grill and cook homemade pizza in there. I don't worry about the cornmeal flying off the wooden peel and making a huge mess as it does when I do it in the house.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1