Hot!Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
Author
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4284
2013/11/14 09:10:07 (permalink)

Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take

However you may feel about deep-dish vs. foldable, this - from last night and already on the net - is "spit-take" funny.

(Mild profanity only; the bad stuff is bleeped

post edited by MetroplexJim - 2014/02/17 17:22:55

101 Replies Related Threads

brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1144
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 09:22:13 (permalink)
    Well all I have to say is that I grew up on the north side of Chicago and neither I nor any of my contemporaries ever ate deep dish pizza. We would get a sausage green pepper and onion from Angelo's and it was flat with well cooked crust on the bottom so I don't know where this deep dish stuff got started. Wasn't me!
    Pancho
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 915
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 09:42:42 (permalink)
    I'm with Jon. I tried a piece of Lou Malnati's (sp?) down there once and felt bloated for the rest of the day. Give me a thin, crisp crust, fresh clam from Pepe's any day.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 10:45:17 (permalink)
    Pancho

I'm with Jon. I tried a piece of Lou Malnati's (sp?) down there once and felt bloated for the rest of the day. Give me a thin, crisp crust, fresh clam from Pepe's any day.

The only "Chicago-style" I ever had was at Geppetto's in Georgetown (WDC).  It was a tasty casserole, but I was full after just one slice.
    ScreamingChicken
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5216
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 10:49:10 (permalink)
    It's almost as if he's been secretly following Contingent tours and that segment's an attempt to wrangle an invitation to Chicago for pizza and hot dogs. Are you listening, Buddy Roadhouse?

If there are any current cast members with Chicago ties this could be fodder for a Saturday Night Live skit or "Weekend Update" segment.
    post edited by ScreamingChicken - 2013/11/14 10:56:22
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4566
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 10:55:23 (permalink)
    One of my RF friends(yes, I still have a couple left)sent me a Google Map of places to eat in Orlando.  I noticed he had Giordano's listed among his favorites, and knowing he is a PIZZA CONNOISSEUR, I gave it a shot.  It totally sucked!  I am very careful about this guys recommendations anymore.
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 11:34:15 (permalink)
    NY Pizza
    ALL GOOD
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 13:25:20 (permalink)
    MILWAUKEE Pizza!!!!
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 13:56:06 (permalink)
    ALL GOOD

MILWAUKEE Pizza!!!!

I've heard of St. Louis Pizza, but Milwaukee Pizza?

Please describe.
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4305
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 14:30:08 (permalink)
    ScreamingChicken It's almost as if he's been secretly following Contingent tours and that segment's an attempt to wrangle an invitation to Chicago for pizza and hot dogs. Are you listening, Buddy Roadhouse?
    Jon Stewart sounds a little mad right now, so I'd be too scared to invite him here for dinner.  OTH, I'd be amazed if some savvy marketing guy, hired by one of the "big name" Chicago Style Pizza joints hasn't already sent a truckload of frozen Pan Pizzas to the Daily Show offices.  Dumb New Yorkers; they'll probably screw it up reheating them, then blame it on the guy who sent them.

It should be noted, there are multiple styles of Pizza served in our town.  Plenty of tavern style thin crust places, maybe more than Pan Style places.  In reference to the Pan Style Pizza, there are actually at least two versions that frequently get confused.  There's the original Pan Style, which is generally not as thick as it appears to be.  Cooked in a deep dish baking pan, the dough is pulled up the side, creating the illusion that it is an inch or more thick.  In fact, it is only slightly thicker than a tavern style version.

The other "in-the-pan" style Pizza is what we call a Stuffed Pizza.  It's a fairly new addition to the scene, certainly not as old as the original Pan Style.  There's no question this is a THICK Pizza.  The difference between the Pan Style and the Stuffed Pizza involves placement of the ingredients.  A Pan Style Pizza starts with the dough base, followed by a layer of sliced Mozzarella cheese.  Raw crushed tomatoes or a rustic tomato puree (not a marinara sauce as Mr. Stewart wrongly claims) goes on top, followed by your ingredients.  A shake of Parmesan or Romano cheese and a little dried oregano tops it all off.

The Stuffed Pizza is prepared more like an actual pie.  A thin crust on the bottom, followed by mounds of shredded Mozzarella, then your ingredient choices.  Another layer of dough covers it up, and only then is the tomato sauce added, on top of the second layer of crust.  No argument that this version sounds more like a casserole.  But I still love it.

Also, there are different variations within that "original" Pan Style method.  As I said, some of them have the dough pulled up the side of the pan, creating a dam that holds the ingredients in place.  Other create a level crust, allowing the sliced cheese around the edge to melt down and create a "caramelized" crust.  Some places incorporate corn meal into the crust, others do a straight wheat crust.

The only reason Pan Style Pizza is called "Chicago Style Pizza" is because it was invented here.  It is not necessarily the predominant style served in Chicago Pizza places.  in fact, most Chicago foodies will argue that the tavern style, or traditional thin crust version (cut in squares, of course) is the true Chicago Pizza.

Buddy
    Davwud
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 531
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 14:35:06 (permalink)
    I will add one thing to this conversation. I don't care what you call it, where it's from or (for the most part) what it consists of, if you make good pizza, I'll love it.

DT
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3174
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 20:13:59 (permalink)
    MetroplexJim

ALL GOOD

MILWAUKEE Pizza!!!!

Please describe.

Combine these two Maria's Pizza's and this was supper tonight; Maria's pizza with the works.

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18895
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 20:50:52 (permalink)
    I can't believe it. For the very first time -- and likely the last -- I agree with that guy Stewart-something. It is a casserole. It's not an apizza. It's not even a pizza. It's not bad, but it's not a tomato pie. Maybe a tomato cake.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 21:35:11 (permalink)
    NY Pizza 
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18895
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 22:15:51 (permalink)
    myterry2

NY Pizza 

Oh, New York's isn't bad. But of course it isn't New Haven apizza.
    myterry2
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 532
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/14 22:22:22 (permalink)
    Agree Michael, it isn't New Haven.
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 10:17:04 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

MetroplexJim

ALL GOOD

MILWAUKEE Pizza!!!!

Please describe.

Combine these two Maria's Pizza's and this was supper tonight; Maria's pizza with the works.

Wow!  That looks very tasty (even if a bit - cheese wise - 'cheddary'). 

It reminds me of my favorite "old school" - ('50's style, "pre-brick oven gourmet") pizza here in Dallas:  Campisi's Egyptian Lounge (the site of Jack Ruby's last dinner as a free man).

Same shape.  Same thin, crackery crust.  Same square cut (which I prefer).  Kinda makes you wonder which way this style travelled along I-35!

joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 10:59:31 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers, Looks like the "Meter of Pizza" that is sold in Rome.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 12:19:27 (permalink)
    Open since April 5th, 1957, I'll pass that on to Bonnie the owner, next time I pop in. I'm not sure what the cheese is but it doesn't taste cheddary. Bonnie is in her 70's, Maria was her mom, the place has numerous paint by number Jesus paintings done by her late father. Garishly lit up by strings of light, and decorated for every season, it is the one "Roadfood" type place I try to take out of towners. Bonnie since she was twenty-something, has always had bright blond hair, a red dress, and red high heels. She's a true sweetheart and is friend to all. Younger Contingent females wonder how she manages to be on her feet with those stiletto heels. Sausage is made in house.

ALL GOOD
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 76
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 13:25:37 (permalink)
    MilwFoodlovers

Open since April 5th, 1957, I'll pass that on to Bonnie the owner, next time I pop in. I'm not sure what the cheese is but it doesn't taste cheddary. Bonnie is in her 70's, Maria was her mom, the place has numerous paint by number Jesus paintings done by her late father. Garishly lit up by strings of light, and decorated for every season, it is the one "Roadfood" type place I try to take out of towners. Bonnie since she was twenty-something, has always had bright blond hair, a red dress, and red high heels. She's a true sweetheart and is friend to all. Younger Contingent females wonder how she manages to be on her feet with those stiletto heels. Sausage is made in house.

You hit the nail on the head with this one... this is definitely a "Milwaukee pizza"... Down to the tavern cut pieces.. Simply perfect!
    saps
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1565
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 16:06:21 (permalink)
    joerogo

One of my RF friends(yes, I still have a couple left)sent me a Google Map of places to eat in Orlando.  I noticed he had Giordano's listed among his favorites, and knowing he is a PIZZA CONNOISSEUR, I gave it a shot.  It totally sucked!  I am very careful about this guys recommendations anymore.

Giordano's in Chicago is terrible.  I can't believe that it would be any better in Orlando.

TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4611
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 17:28:23 (permalink)
    Even though I don't agree with Jon's point of view - that was hilarious

almost as good as his rant about Trump and Palin eating "NY style" pizza
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6350
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/15 22:00:34 (permalink)
    I agree Chicago style pizza is really more a casserole!!!
    BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 00:35:16 (permalink)
    I'll second that negative opinion of Giordano's.  I fact, ANY franchise version (Pizzeria Uno's, Gino's East, etc.) should not be taken as an accurate representation of any kind of Chicago Pizza, thick, thin, stuffed, or otherwise.

If you tell the hostess or waiter at any one of these places that you are originally from Chicago and are looking forward to a "taste of home", they apologize in advance for not living up to standards or expectations.

You want Chicago Pizza?  Come to Chicago.  Live by the wanderingjew credo (apologies to wj as I paraphrase): Eat regional food in the region it came from.

Buddy
    joerogo
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 09:07:36 (permalink)
    BuddyRoadhouse
    You want Chicago Pizza?  Come to Chicago.  Live by the wanderingjew credo (apologies to wj as I paraphrase): Eat regional food in the region it came from.

Buddy

Agreed!  I was led astray

The #1 pizza on my Chicago Hit List is Burt's.
    pnwchef
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2523
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 11:17:31 (permalink)
    I live in a herd, the herd took a train from Washington State to Chicago. In most cases the male is the head of the herd, making sure the rest of the herd is safe. The Male head of the herd  learns if he wants to get along with the female members of the herd, he needs to be strong, yet understanding of all members of the herd. He also learns if he ever wants to sleep next to the head female member of the herd, he needs to learn and adjust his strategy. The deep dish Chicago pizza is tradition in the herd, this is the young female member of the herd eating a slice after being on the train for two nights. The female members then went shopping, there was less money in the herd when they returned......The herd was happy.............Signed, the head of the herd....I think!

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 11:54:14 (permalink)
    MMM, love Burt's but I pretty much dislike most deep dish pizza's. Uno's and Duo's downtown Chicago both were great as was Lou Malnati's in, I don't know, was it Skokie?
    Burt's

BuddyRoadhouse
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 13:45:54 (permalink)
    joerogo The #1 pizza on my Chicago Hit List is Burt's.
    Just make sure you call your order in ahead of time, as described in countless internet reviews and comments, and you'll be good to go.  If you come on the right night, I might even see you there.

Buddy
    MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 14:24:25 (permalink)
    pnwchef - nice to see Mollie again! 
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6413
    Re:Pizza: Chicago vs. NYC - Jon Stewart's take 2013/11/16 14:32:43 (permalink)
    I made my own hotdish...er, deep dish pizza (without the tater tots) in Minnesota.

Page: 1234 > Showing page 1 of 4
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1