Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel

Author
signman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1743
2008/02/27 20:30:41 (permalink)

Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel

Just saw the segment on New Haven Wooster Street pizza or apizza, Pepe's and Sally's. And the word "clam" wasn't even mentioned. But I did find out that some no name woman always gets the onion pie.

What a crock.

19 Replies Related Threads

leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/27 20:36:32 (permalink)
    Watching it too. I hpe all those people who keep thinking pizza is an American original, saw the opening segment on Lombardi's
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/27 21:01:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by signman

Just saw the segment on New Haven Wooster Street pizza or apizza, Pepe's and Sally's. And the word "clam" wasn't even mentioned. But I did find out that some no name woman always gets the onion pie.

What a crock.

My favorite pie at Pepe's and Sally's was always the plain. Just sauce and grated parmesan cheese.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/27 21:05:50 (permalink)
    My parents think I come to Ct 4 times a year to visit them. Little do they know it's to go to Pepes. The plane lands next week at 5pm. I will be inline by 7pm. Stop and see my parents about 9pm. San Diego is a pizza wasteland.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7890
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/27 21:36:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by markolenski

San Diego is a pizza wasteland.

But it's Fish Taco Heaven!
    JBarry713
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 243
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/27 21:55:25 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

quote:

What a crock.

My favorite pie at Pepe's and Sally's was always the plain. Just sauce and grated parmesan cheese.

The plain might be my favorite too, it's best way to taste the great Pepe's crust. The crust stays intact without it deteriorating from the oil that separates from the mozz, which tends to happen at the center of the pie.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18625
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/27 22:24:24 (permalink)
    Ah, but there's plenty of olive oil on the crust in the first place.
    uppdoc
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 5
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/28 21:35:14 (permalink)
    Hey, I was that no name woman who always gets the onion pizza! My daughter has a lethal seafood allergy, so no clam pizza for my family. I didn't get to see the show, what did they end up calling the new program on the Travel Channel?
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/28 21:38:07 (permalink)
    I watched it both times last night. Same ol' places being reviewed... Again.
    I wish they would step into the deep Midwest and find something new to report on.
    signman
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 01:04:16 (permalink)
    Well hello uppdoc (aka the no name woman). The show was called PIZZA PARADISE. Hey, I've had an onion pizza at Pepe's too, although my go to is a mushroom pizza. My main point was that the most famous pizza Pepe's makes is the White Clam pizza, and there wasn't even a mention of it. So for me the show had no credibility whatsoever.

I'd be curious how you found us here on Roadfood.com. Don't know what you know of it's background, but it's more than less a companion website to the ROADFOOD titled books that Yale grads and Connecticut residents, Jane & Michael Stern have been writing for the past 30 years. Somewhere along the way they proclaimed Pepe's White Clam pizza as the best single food item on the planet, or something like that. So for this show to not even mention it.......................

A lot of the piece was also taken up by patrons comments that they are either a Sally's patron or Pepe's. Now I will admit that I'v never been to Sally's, and only to Pepe's maybe 3 times, but if I lived in the area I surely would be trying both places, and Modern too. It might have been interesting to hear why someone preferred one place over the other, but that too was missing. I'm sure it was a thrill for you to be featured in the piece, but if they were going to put a lot of personal opinion in, I would have liked to have heard from someone who was able to objectively discuss the Wooster Street style, etc. Yes, someone like the Sterns, who have been students of this for over 30 years and are recognized authorities.

Just like next week, when the show will be Hot Dog Paradise and will feature comments by John Fox about New Jersey hot dogs. John Fox has extensively written about NJ dogs, and been written about for his expertise in this field by the New York Times, and the NJ Star Ledger family of newspapers. He is a frequent poster on this site.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 01:16:56 (permalink)
    quote:

Just like next week, when the show will be Hot Dog Paradise and will feature comments by John Fox about New Jersey hot dogs. John Fox has extensively written about NJ dogs, and been written about for his expertise in this field by the New York Times, and the NJ Star Ledger family of newspapers. He is a frequent poster on this site.

Wow! Thanks Signman... Didn't realize Mr. Fox will be on next week, nor anything about the Hot Dog Paradise presentation either.
    signman
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 02:05:03 (permalink)
    Vic, I would like to know about some other places too. Made my first trip to Detroit a while back and loved Buddy's Pizza. A different style that I really enjoyed. Ate there twice on a 3 day trip.

Check in on the NJ hot dog thread for the latest on John's adventures. His post in the past week about Bubba's was pure poetry.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 03:39:35 (permalink)
    Funny you brought up Buddy's Pizza. They made the state news today about rising costs (mainly the wheat topic, then some on the cheese): http://www.woodtv.com/Global/story.asp?S=7942298&nav=0Rce
    I've never been there, but your not the first one here to bring them up. Must have something going for them.
    sk bob
    • Total Posts : 1801
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 20:27:17 (permalink)
    they keep showing the same old shows from a couple years ago, just like the hot dog show, the hamburger show, best place to pig out etc.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6311
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 20:32:46 (permalink)
    Seen them all several times,but somehow,I wind up watching them again.
    uppdoc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 20:53:03 (permalink)
    Thanks for the welcome and the background info, Signman. I'm going to check out the books. I found Roadfood when I did a search for the Travel Channel's program and I found your initial post. When the Travel Channel interviewed us they told us the program would be called Food Palaces, guess they changed their mind.
    I can't believe they didn't mention the clam pizza. I REALLY can't believe they choose to interview my sister and me in the first place. No make up, hadn't combed my hair all day, old white sweater... I would have dressed up if I had known.
    We just got back from Pepe's. It was a little embarrassing when the waitress introduced us to people at the surrounding tables as the women in the video. But it was worth it, the pizza was a great as ever. And only a 5 minute wait outside in 10 degree weather!
    signman
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/02/29 22:14:30 (permalink)
    So have you ever been to Sally's or Modern?
    MiamiDon
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4306
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/03/01 07:27:38 (permalink)
    FYI, the Pizza Paradises show is on again on 3/5 at 3:00 PM Eastern Time on The Travel Channel.
    uppdoc
    Junior Burger
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/03/01 08:26:39 (permalink)
    I've been to Modern once, I wouldn't wait outside in the snow for it, but the Italian Bomb is very good. It's just not the same "atmosphere" there. I went to Sally a few times, (had to, it was an old boyfriend's favorite) the pizza is ok, the service not so good. And I don't like that the people waiting in line are all the way in the table area of the restaurant. I always felt guilty eating while people were a foot away staring at my pizza.
    My Directv guide says the Pizza Paradise coming on 3/5 at 3:00pm was made in 2004. I hope that's wrong, I really want to see the new one
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pizza Paradise's on Travel Channel 2008/03/01 11:25:13 (permalink)
    Small point: we have a restaurant called Pizza Paradise in NYC, on W. 18thSt. I think. So I first thought that's what you're talking about here, not a PBS show.
    But Pizza Paradise in NY is one of those iffy places that has neon signs for gyros in the window, too. Can pizza and gyros (and who knows what else) co-exist?
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1