Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Pizza Sauce Recipe?

Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38
callmebruce

• Total Posts: 193
Pizza Sauce Recipe? Sun, 02/25/07 9:51 AM (permalink)
Anyone have a good, fairly simple pizza sauce recipe? I liked the pasta sauce recipes on here, and made up a batch (froze some, and it is all gone!!!). I want to make up some more, and freeze some - but I'd also like to try my hand at a pizza sauce as well.

doggydaddy

• Total Posts: 1847
    RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Sun, 02/25/07 10:17 AM (permalink)

I have a 'no cook' sauce which we made at a very fine Italian restaurant. It requires thick tomato puree. To this, add pure (no need for virgin)olive oil, fresh garlic, basil, oregano, salt, pepper and a little water if required. Some purists will scoff, but a little sugar is a good thing too.
    If you want measurements, I have none. I only use measuring spoons for baking. Just remember, you can always add more, not less.

Keep in mind that a thick sauce will not penetrate through the dough. Brushing the dough with olive oil is a good way to prevent sauce from seeping into it also.

mark

Antilope

• Total Posts: 56
      RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 12:26 AM (permalink)
      Pizzeria Uno's Chicago Deep Dish Copycat Pizza Sauce

2 Tablespoons Olive Oil
      1 Tablespoon Garlic, minced
      1 Tablespoon Dried Basil, crushed 
      1 Tablespoon Dried Oregano, crushed 
      1/4 teaspoon Anise Seeds or Fennel Seeds
      1/2 teaspoon Table Salt, (or to taste)
      1/8 teaspoon Black Pepper, freshly ground 
      1/8 teaspoon Red Pepper Flakes, (or to taste)
      1 (28 oz) can Italian-style whole peeled tomatoes, lightly squished (use "6 in 1 Brand - All Purpose Ground Tomatoes", if you can find it)
      1/2 teaspoon Balsamic Vinegar
      1 teaspoon White Granulated Sugar 

In a saucepan, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the herbs, seeds, salt, black pepper and red pepper flakes, and cook, stirring, for 30 seconds. Add the tomatoes, balsamic vinegar and sugar, and bring to a boil. Lower the heat and simmer, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 20 to 30 minutes. Remove from the heat and let cool completely before using.

<message edited by Antilope on Tue, 12/25/12 12:28 AM>

edwmax

• Total Posts: 2015
        RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 9:14 AM (permalink)
        Years ago, I found that my local pizza places use Hunt's spaghetti or pasta sauce.

I keep Hunt's or Del Monte in the pantry just for pizza.  I make my own sauce when doing spaghetti.  Anyway at 94 cents per can, you can't make it in small quantities at this price and this well.  ... One can (26 oz) is enough for 2 or 3 pizzas.  I freeze the left over for the next pizza.    ... These can be used as a base if you have a more specific flavor profile, just add the additional herbs & spices.

Currently, I use these:
        , ,

ps ... unless you grow your own tomatoes, stew them down to make your sauce, then you are using canned tomatoes & puree anyway.   So there is no reason not to use a basic can sauce or spaghetti/pasta sauce that you like.   Pizza is supposed to be quick & fun to make.
        <message edited by edwmax on Tue, 12/25/12 9:27 AM>

edwmax

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 9:35 AM (permalink)
          Humm ... looking at the above sauce recipes, ... if I were to additional spices or special spices, i would mix these into a shaker and add to the pizza as I build it and still use one of the spaghetti sauce I listed above.

just my 2 cents

Russ Jackson

• Total Posts: 2257
            RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 11:52 AM (permalink)
            6 in 1 All-Purpose Ground Tomatoes in Extra-Heavy Purée then add some fresh basil, garlic, dried oregano, salt, and Parmigiano-Reggiano. This might be the best Pizza Sauce you can make. And they are by far the best canned tomatoes you can buy.  If you have not tried them please do not defend some other brand. Compare your favorite and then get back to me. They can be ordered online here: http://www.escalon.net/pr...6in1-tomato-sauce.aspx You will not be disappointed...Russ

Quote:
            "That foundation begins with a small group of dedicated growers who cultivate select tomato varieties in the fertile soil of California's San Joaquin Valley, a region famous for its agriculture. These growers carefully nurture and harvest their tomatoes to Escalon's exact standards. Escalon tomatoes are always vine-ripened to a vibrant red, picked with the greatest of care and packed within hours of harvest."

Product of USA - California Grown - Hand Selected

Ingredients: Unpeeled ground tomatoes, extra heavy tomato puree, salt.

The 6 in 1 Legacy

Created by our founder, industry pioneer Cristoforo Colombo, 6in 1 Ground Tomatoes is the original multi-purpose tomato product. For over 50 years, Escalon has been masterfully crafting 6 in 1 using only the highest quality vine-ripened tomatoes, hand selected and processed within hours of harvest, with NO ADDED CITRIC ACID or preservatives.
            <message edited by Russ Jackson on Tue, 12/25/12 12:00 PM>

Twinwillow

• Total Posts: 4899
              RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 12:30 PM (permalink)
              Russ, I totally agree with you regarding the use of 6 in 1 brand canned tomatoes! They're the best canned tomatoes in the US! We have only one store (Jimmy's) in Dallas that stocks it. But, they only stock the institutional 6LB. 6oz. size. So, I'll use the whole can to make enough marinara sauce for immediate use and freeze the rest in 18oz containers for future use.

The HEB stores in Austin stock the more practical 28oz size. I always bring a case back with me to Dallas after visiting my son there. 

And if I'm desperate, I'll order a case of 28oz cans direct from Escalon Packers in Modesto. Freight cost be damned. They're worth it!

http://www.escalon.net/co../pdfs/product_guide.pdf

<message edited by Twinwillow on Tue, 12/25/12 12:37 PM>

Antilope

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 12:32 PM (permalink)
                When I make sauce for a Ham & Pineapple BBQ Pizza I use the can of Hunt's Pasta Sauce:

BBQ Pizza Sauce:

1 (26 oz) can Hunt's Garlic & Herb Pasta Sauce
                1/2 cup Sweet Baby Ray's Barbecue Sauce
                1/2 teaspoon Hickory Flavor Liquid Smoke, Wright's or Colgin brand
                1/4 teaspoon seasoning salt

Mix ingredients in saucepan. Bring to a simmer and cook uncovered, stirring occasionally,
                for 20 minutes until the sauce is thickended.

Antilope

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 12:36 PM (permalink)
                  My family asked me to come up with a pizza that tastes like Chinese Take Out, so here it is: (It uses Hunt's Pasta Sauce)

Chinese BBQ Pork Bun Flavored Pizza 

One of my family members challenged me to make a pizza with Chinese flavorings. This makes a saucy, crunchy pizza that has the flavor of a Chinese BBQ Pork Bun. It turned out really good and now I have to make it frequently for my family.

Makes one 14 inch pizza

Total Time: about 7 hours (6 hour dough rise, 25 to 35 minutes baking)

Pizza Crust
                  3/4 cup Water (room temperature- about 70-F to 80-F)
                  3/4 teaspoon White Granulated Sugar 
                  1 1/2 teaspoons Active Dry Yeast (or 1 packet)
                  2 1/4 cups All-Purpose Flour (don't use bread flour, we want a biscuit like dough)
                  1/3 cup Yellow Cornmeal
                  3/4 teaspoon (0.25 oz) Table Salt
                  1/3 cup Cooking Oil ( 5 Tbsp Corn or Canola oil and 1 Tbsp Olive Oil) 

- Add sugar and yeast to water, stir well. If not using instant yeast, allow the yeast to bloom in water for about 
                  15-minutes. If using instant yeast, you can use the water mixture right away.
                  - Stir in flour, cornmeal and salt. Mix well. 
                  - Stir in cooking oils.
                  - Mix for 1 minute then knead for 3 minutes. You can use a stand mixer or by hand. Add more flour or warm 
                  water, a Tablespoon at a time, as needed, to make a workable dough.
                  - Don't over-knead, we want a biscuit like dough.
                  - Form dough into a ball, place in a large mixing bowl, coat dough lightly with oil, cover bowl and let dough rise 
                  in a warm place for 6 hours. This long rise time develops a rich flavor in the dough that comes through in the 
                  baked crust. You can use the dough after about 1 hour of rise, but it won't have the deep flavor.
                  - Punch down dough and allow it to rest 10 to 15 minutes.
                  - Press dough into pizza pan.
                  - Coat pizza dough evenly with Chinese BBQ Pork Bun Flavored Pizza Sauce.
                  - Add toppings evenly in the order listed.
                  - Bake at 425 F for 25 minutes

Chinese BBQ Pork Bun Flavored Pizza Sauce:

1 1/4 cups Hunts Garlic and Herb Pasta sauce
                  1/3 cup + 2 Tbsp Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce
                  1 Tbsp Hoisin Sauce
                  1 Tbsp Honey
                  1 1/2 tsp Oyster Sauce
                  1 1/2 tsp Soy Sauce
                  1 1/2 tsp Toasted Sesame Oil
                  1 1/2 tsp Seasoned Rice Vinegar
                  1/2 tsp Chinese five spice powder
                  1/2 tsp Hickory flavored liquid smoke 

Combine ingredients and mix well. Spread on pizza.

Toppings:

2 cups Shredded Pulled Pork, drained of any liquid
                  1 cup finely diced cabbage coleslaw mix
                  1/2 cup Water Chestnuts, Diced (from canned, drained)
                  1 cup French's French Fried Onions (the ones used on a green bean casserole)
                  1 cup La Choy Chow Mein Noodles, slightly crushed
                  3/4 cup shredded Walmart Great Value Fiesta Blend cheese (Monterey jack, cheddar, Queso Quesadilla, asadero cheese)

edwmax

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 1:19 PM (permalink)
                    I wasn't trying to plug the Hunts & Del Monte brands.  These are just my go to off-the-shelf staples.   As I said, use what you like best.      ... I've never heard of or seen the 6in1, Esaclon brand.   ... Any way, Twinwillow's product link has several pasta recipes and some other interesting recipes (salsa).   thanks ...

kland01s

• Total Posts: 2835
                      RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 1:55 PM (permalink)
                      We just use straight out of the can Contadina Tomato Sauce with no salt added. We use naan for the pizza base and add oregano, garlic and olives. Cheese is mozzarella with grated fresh parm on top. There is only 2 of use so the store bought naan size is perfect. 

Russ Jackson

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Tue, 12/25/12 2:16 PM (permalink)
                        Twinwillow

Russ, I totally agree with you regarding the use of 6 in 1 brand canned tomatoes! They're the best canned tomatoes in the US! We have only one store (Jimmy's) in Dallas that stocks it. But, they only stock the institutional 6LB. 6oz. size. So, I'll use the whole can to make enough marinara sauce for immediate use and freeze the rest in 18oz containers for future use.

The HEB stores in Austin stock the more practical 28oz size. I always bring a case back with me to Dallas after visiting my son there. 

And if I'm desperate, I'll order a case of 28oz cans direct from Escalon Packers in Modesto. Freight cost be damned. They're worth it!

http://www.escalon.net/co../pdfs/product_guide.pdf

Thanks for the pdf I had not seen it before and will try those recipes especially the salsa.  I discovered 6 in 1 years ago and was hooked. The sad thing is so many people are stuck on a different canned tomato they just wont entertain a different one. Canned tomatoes are superior to any store bought tomato. 6 in 1 are superior to any canned I have found and I have tried 100's.  Do a blind taste test with your favorite and 6 in 1. I like to use just the canned 6 in 1 over buttered pasta. You can make a world class pizza using just the tomatoes out of the can as the sauce and top it with fresh mozzarella cut in discs and finished with fresh basil and olive oil...Russ

gostillerz

• Total Posts: 218
                          RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Fri, 12/28/12 9:37 PM (permalink)
                          I use 6 in 1 for everything. No DOP San Marzano's, Muir Glen etc. They are very, very good.

ZekeTheCat

• Total Posts: 127
                            RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Sun, 12/30/12 3:20 PM (permalink)
                            Easy Pizza / Pasta Sauce Recipe:
                            1 - 28 oz Can of 6/1 (or Classico (WalMart)) Crushed Tomatoes
                            1/4 tsp - Onion Powder
                            1/4 tsp - Garlic Powder
                            1/2 tsp - Sugar
                            1/8 tsp - Red Cayanne Pepper - optional
                            1/2 tsp - dried Basil
                            1/2 tsp - dried Oregano
                            Let set for several hours or overnight to develope flavor

Twinwillow

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Sun, 12/30/12 5:24 PM (permalink)
                              gostillerz

I use 6 in 1 for everything. No DOP San Marzano's, Muir Glen etc. They are very, very good.

And, no citric acid or preservatives in 6 in 1. You just get pure, sweet tomatoes.

leethebard

• Total Posts: 6082
                                RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Sun, 12/30/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                Use San Marzano tomatos from Italy for Tomato sauce or pizza sauce...or just don't maker it No...N.O. California tomato sauce will do!!!!

CCinNJ

• Total Posts: 7761
                                  RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Sun, 12/30/12 5:34 PM (permalink)
                                  It's easy to grow your own San Marzano tomatoes these days (starting from seeds).

In the garden or in containers.

The best of both worlds...San Marzano/New Jersey tomatoes.

Simple fresh light...like a wonderful pizza sauce. Not too heavy busy or full of stuff.

Russ Jackson

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 2:13 PM (permalink)
                                    leethebard

Use San Marzano tomatos from Italy for Tomato sauce or pizza sauce...or just don't maker it No...N.O. California tomato sauce will do!!!!

I would assume you have never tried 6 in 1. Have someone prepare a blind taste test for you and get back to us....Russ

Twinwillow

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 2:29 PM (permalink)
                                      leethebard

Aside from 6 in 1 from California, try this San Marzano (brand) from New Jersey! They're also an excellent brand. And, more easy to find than 6 in 1

http://www.cybercucina.co...s/products/SM5012.html

CCinNJ

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 2:31 PM (permalink)
                                        Jersey Baby!!!

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                          RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 3:31 PM (permalink)
                                           For the years during the early to mid 70's I worked in a Sub/Pizza shop with owners from NY, the sauce we made  was 1:1 #10 cans ground tomatoes in puree like 6N1 or stanilsas 7/11, concentrated, crushed tomatoes, black pepper, sugar, dried oregano & basil rubbed a bit with a mortar and pestle, some crushed fennel seed, granulated onion and garlic; not powdered, and salt and msg (our grill salt actually) with some pomace olive oil and water added to thin down to consistancy. This was mixed in a 5 gallon bucket with a paint mixer and drill and set in the walk-in until the next day. 

The second place I spent a few months at as back end manager used an almost simlar process using a thick pizza base with basil instead of the crushed tomatoes, but used the ground tomatoes in puree also. They too were originally from NY. This sauce had a kind of pasty texture b/c of the pizza base, but still very good although the above was better imho.

These were raw sauces using commerical products that had tomato products that didn't have a retail rival. Preparation is different then retail with low temperature and under pressure processing from plum tomatoes with a high, underskin velvet content. There's no way to get this taste from a retail product. Escalon and Stanislaws make an excellent product, but so did a local company called Flora we used back then if they're still around.

When you see pretty much the same process, that should tell you something and most none of it can be found in a grocery store. Whole milk block Mozz. cheese, high protien/gluten full strength flour, and semolina for dusting and working. That's the whole secret and done in a deck oven run full bore. 
                                          The real deal is a no brainer and I've posted this stuff before here.

leethebard

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 3:58 PM (permalink)
                                            http://www.amazon.com/San...e-Peeled/dp/B0001K5MGG

I had heard about these...so I did some research. Check the reviews at the link above...They are not Real San Marzano tomatos, despite the "seed" gimmick and the word "Italian" well featured.. This is a company owned by Heinz(yes the ketchup people) As the review states, these are not true San Marzano..and the can is loaded with Puree. If you like it use it, but boy is it overpriced. For my money I'll use the real thing, labeled as such and grown in the volcanic soil of Mount Vesuvius, near San Marzano!!!!!!!!

Here's the REAL thing!!
                                            http://www.cento.com/sanmarzano/sanmarzano.html
                                            <message edited by leethebard on Mon, 12/31/12 4:00 PM>

CCinNJ

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 4:07 PM (permalink)

There's a trick to seeds soil & sauce. Certainly a brainer.

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                                                RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 5:25 PM (permalink)
                                                Volcanic soils? Imported from Italy? Next we go for a VPN cert?
                                                Sorry. Silly Putty territory for me. In the years I worked prep and back end, I never even heard the word San Marzano or heard about Caputo or even seen hand drawn mozz in water, or fresh basil leaves used until 10 years ago. Leave the wood fired and carmelized exotica to the Trendy Nouveu Connoisseurs that never knew the difference between chain pizza to now sneering at anything besides $40+ authentically made margheritas served with high end craft beer. A fool and his money is soon parted. Maybe I'm missing out on the potential returns catering to the esoterics, but is it worth it? How long will it last?
                                                I'm not in the biz, have no idea what it's like for an indie to be up against the chains. But at the same time, the absurd investment and preoccupation for so-called authenticity and catering to an upscale clientele with a niche product somehow doesn't seem like a good long term plan or investment in this economy. Maybe I'm wrong.  

Give me a NY slice that I can fold up and wipe my chin from and I'm in heaven. Grating whole milk mozz from blocks, fighting with high gluten/protien doughs with a hobart on low to keep from tearing up the planetary.  I could portion precisely by eye and throw together stacks of proof boxes second nature. Tossing and pie prep was another story.

Maybe it is a brainer, but you could teach a teenage kid from start to finish to become a pretty darn good pizzaiolo with some effort in a reasonable amount of time. I just don't buy the exotica and don't equate it with good, pedestrian pies.

Twinwillow

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 7:15 PM (permalink)
                                                  leethebard

If you like it use it, but boy is it overpriced. 

$2.99-$3.99 a can in Dallas. But, "6 in 1" still beats them all!

CCinNJ

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 7:27 PM (permalink)
                                                    It will not beat the volcanic ash!

leethebard

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 8:03 PM (permalink)
                                                      Twinwillow

leethebard

If you like it use it, but boy is it overpriced. 

$2.99-$3.99 a can in Dallas. But, "6 in 1" still beats them all!

You can like what you like...but  "The best" is just your opinion...The can is deceitful...and if you what to trust them(the Heinz co.) fine....I'll trust my Italian taste buds and the experts. Again check those reviews!!

Russ Jackson

RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 8:05 PM (permalink)
                                                        leethebard

I had heard about these...so I did some research. Check the reviews at the link above...They are not Real San Marzano tomatos, despite the "seed" gimmick and the word "Italian" well featured.. This is a company owned by Heinz(yes the ketchup people) As the review states, these are not true San Marzano..and the can is loaded with Puree. If you like it use it, but boy is it overpriced. For my money I'll use the real thing, labeled as such and grown in the volcanic soil of Mount Vesuvius, near San Marzano!!!!!!!!

Here's the REAL thing!!
                                                        http://www.cento.com/sanmarzano/sanmarzano.html

Still not 6 in 1. I have used many a can of Cento. If there is one thing I have learned on Roadfood it is when people are passionate about something on this site its a safe bet they are right....Russ
                                                        PM me your address and I will order some from escalon and have them sent to you.

Michael Hoffman

• Total Posts: 17845
                                                          • Location: Gahanna, OH
                                                          RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 8:07 PM (permalink)
                                                          I usually buy the Cento San Marzanos, but my Italian market will have several other imported brands, too.

Russ Jackson

• Joined: 11/28/2007
                                                            RE: Pizza Sauce Recipe? Mon, 12/31/12 8:11 PM (permalink)
                                                            http://www.pizzamaking.co...848/boardseen.html#new

http://www.pizzamaking.co...ex.php/topic,16.0.html
                                                            Enjoy...Russ
                                                            <message edited by Russ Jackson on Mon, 12/31/12 8:14 PM>

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark
                                                              Change Page: 12 > | Showing page 1 of 2, messages 1 to 30 of 38

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                                                              • No New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                                                              • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/ New Messages
                                                              • Locked w/o New Messages
                                                              • Read Message
                                                              • Post New Thread
                                                              • Reply to message
                                                              • Post New Poll
                                                              • Submit Vote
                                                              • Post reward post
                                                              • Delete my own posts
                                                              • Delete my own threads
                                                              • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                                                              What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com