Pizza aglio ed olio

Author
enginecapt
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3486
2004/12/12 05:55:11 (permalink)

Pizza aglio ed olio

Anyone ever had pizza this way? It's a very simple pie wherein the crust is liberally brushed (painted) with good olive oil(olio), sprinkled with a generous layer of diced fresh garlic (aglio), dusted with some nice fresh grated pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (or both), then baked.

It's heavenly, and a nice break from the typical tomato sugo and mozzarella pie. I was introduced to this by the proprietor of a Chicago style dog, Ital beef and pizza restaurant in So Cal years ago. The pie wasn't on the menu. She made it only for herself and her straight off the boat charming Italian parents, who ate there 3 or 4 times a week.
Her Dad wore a green, white and red ball cap with the inscription "Non mi rompere i coglioni." Scamp.

3 Replies Related Threads

BT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Pizza aglio ed olio 2004/12/12 22:29:36 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

Anyone ever had pizza this way? It's a very simple pie wherein the crust is liberally brushed (painted) with good olive oil(olio), sprinkled with a generous layer of diced fresh garlic (aglio), dusted with some nice fresh grated pecorino romano or parmigiano reggiano (or both), then baked.

It's heavenly

But is it pizza? Or is it foccaccia? I've had the latter this way.
    enginecapt
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3486
    RE: Pizza aglio ed olio 2004/12/12 23:09:10 (permalink)
    They're the ones from Italy, I'm just a SoCal beach boy, if they call it pizza, then I call it pizza.
    tiki
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4140
    RE: Pizza aglio ed olio 2004/12/13 01:32:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by BT

quote:
    Originally posted by enginecapt

It's heavenly

But is it pizza? Or is it foccaccia? I've had the latter this way.

If its cooked with pizza dough--its pizza--if its on brad dough--its foccacia---and my favorite style of foccacia, i might add!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1