Pizza delivery via airplane

Author
Theedge
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1196
2006/04/11 10:33:07 (permalink)

Pizza delivery via airplane

Now I like all of the "strange" toppings. But I have to admit if I had to have it flown in, I would order a bit more traditional then these people.

quote:
Alaskans get their pizzas by air

NOME, Alaska (AP) -- Last Christmas, residents of the Yupik Eskimo village of Savoonga added a special dish to their everyday fare of whale, walrus, reindeer and berries -- fresh pizza flown in from Nome, 170 miles away.

A tiny delivery joint, Airport Pizza, opened several months earlier just steps from Nome's busy runways, and many of Savoonga's 700 residents were eager to try something different.

Nome's first and only pizza delivery service does a robust business in the western Alaska town of 3,500. But it really stands out for its free deliveries via commuter plane to more than a dozen other remote, spread-out subarctic villages.

The village council in Savoonga, on St. Lawrence Island in the icy Bering Sea, wanted a special holiday treat for young families in the village. It ordered 50 pizzas, half topped with chicken and ranch dressing and the other half with Canadian bacon and pineapple.[/Frontier Flying Service, an intrastate airline, volunteered last year to fly the pizzas at no charge to every village on its regular flight schedule out of Nome, a Bering Sea town settled in 1899 during a gold rush.

Craig Kenmonth, general manager of Frontier, said the free delivery service helps the carrier market itself in a way that benefits customers in the largely Yupik and Inupiat Eskimo villages.

"Our success is directly tied to the success of the communities we serve," Kenmonth said. "And it's a fun thing to do."

The savings can be enormous for Nome's largely impoverished satellite communities, which pay some of the highest fuel prices in America.

"They fly the pizzas for nothing, which is huge for people out in the villages," said Matt Tomter, who quit his Frontier flying job to run the thriving pizza joint.

Tomter said an order for six reindeer sausage pizzas once came in from the Arctic Ocean town of Barrow, the northernmost community in the United States, 500 miles (805 kilometers) to the northeast.

High shipping costs into Nome push Airport Pizza's prices above those charged by pizzerias in less remote spots. They range from $16 for a small cheese pizza to $32 for a large specialty pie, such as chicken Rockefeller or gyro.

The one-room business is all kitchen, with a dough mixer salvaged from a bakery that went out of business, and a cavernous hand-me-down oven from a pizzeria turned Chinese restaurant.

Along a spotless steel counter in the pizza kitchen sit about two dozen small bins filled with colorful ingredients that are rare in this faraway region -- garlic, red and green peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, feta cheese and chorizo.

Five staffers show up each day to make more than 30 types of pizzas, including Polynesian barbeque chicken, Mexican enchilada, and Mediterranean.

Nearly all the 11,000 village residents in Airport Pizza's service area consume Alaska Native subsistence foods, such as whale, walrus, seal and caribou, but laws bar Airport Pizza from using native meats -- other than reindeer -- on its pizzas, and there doesn't seem to be much demand.

"I think that would be a little strange," Savoonga Mayor Jane Kava said.

Copyright 2006 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten, or redistributed

10 Replies Related Threads

phatphil
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 670
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/04/15 21:48:41 (permalink)
    the only pizza i fly here to florida is lou malnatis from chicago/lincolnwood illinois
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7315
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/04/16 03:56:45 (permalink)
    I especially like the part about "Nome's busy runways". Makes it sound like O'Hare or Logan or JFK or LAX. Ha! They're lucky the strip is even PAVED!! " />

Of course, when the pizza arrives in Savoonga, the villagers pile on whale blubber, seal meat and some caribou then bury it in the ground with the "stinky heads" and they'll eat it sometime in August.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/04/16 09:46:30 (permalink)
    Miss Alaska 2006,

You sure make it sound apetizing. I couldn't wait until August though, I would have to roll up my sleaves and dig right in. Pass the bicarb please.

I read recently that Nome was misnamed by a fella making the map of the area. When it was originally charted the English officer who discovered it wrote
    No Name on his chart. Maybe some salt water got on it or some of that Midnight Sun faded it to a point where the map guy read No..me ----and so it was and is today. Too cold and nasty for me.
    the ancient mariner
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3987
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/04/16 09:52:31 (permalink)
    By the way, speaking of flying in food-------Frank Sinatra, (some of you old-timers will remember Franky) had a weeks supply of Eye-Trallion bread flown to him in Palm Springs, California from a little bakery in Hoboken, New Jersey every week. He had some crust !!!!!!! And he didn't cast his bread upon the waters, he ate every bit, because his mother taught him to "eat it 'cause it's good for you".
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/09/27 14:18:09 (permalink)
    I have pizza delivered to the Dallas Ft Worth metroplex from www.uticapizza.com in Utica N.Y. and real Italian bread from Columbus bakery from Syracuse N.Y.
    namret
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/09/28 07:31:14 (permalink)
    How is the Pizza? Thin and crispy or what?
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/09/28 10:37:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by ynotryme

I have pizza delivered to the Dallas Ft Worth metroplex from www.uticapizza.com in Utica N.Y. and real Italian bread from Columbus bakery from Syracuse N.Y.

I have done a variation on the theme when many years ago, I brought a N.Y. pizza as a carry on. Though it was cold, the whole fuselage smelled of the aroma of garlicky sauce and herbs. When I landed in San Francisco, I now had the best pie in that state.....

It's funny that this topic has come up as I have been searching for something unusual to give my brother for his birthday. He lives in Wisconsin and claims that most all of the frozen pizzas on the market come from there. I feel that it is a claim of dubious distinction.
    The point is that with a little 'Googling', I found this site at a ridiculously reasonable price:

http://www.flyingpizzas.com/

It looks pretty good to me, and there is free shipping!!!

The only other idea I have is to get a pizza from Pepe's and vacuum seal it, pack it with dry ice, package it in a box and ship it off. I think that is too much work and I would eat it before I got it all into the box.

mark
    namret
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 105
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/09/28 14:18:46 (permalink)
    Being a former NYer, the flying pizzas are just OK. They lack flavor, pretty much crust and sauce and a bit of cheese. Muenster cheese at that. Their website has many testimonials, all favorable, but I must disagree. If you need a fix of pizza, it might do the trick.
    ynotryme
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 562
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/09/29 22:12:11 (permalink)
    The pizza I have sent from www.uticapizza.com is a thick pizza like Sicilian. It's a pizza peculiar to the Utica N.Y. area. It's an upside down pizza.The sausage is under the cheese, after it's cooked you add the sauce and grated cheese. The pizzaria has been opened since 1914. I highly recommend the sausage pizza. They also ship an italian desert called pusties and cannolis.
    doggydaddy
    • Total Posts : 1847
    RE: Pizza delivery via airplane 2006/09/30 16:18:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by namret

Being a former NYer, the flying pizzas are just OK. They lack flavor, pretty much crust and sauce and a bit of cheese. Muenster cheese at that. Their website has many testimonials, all favorable, but I must disagree. If you need a fix of pizza, it might do the trick.

I think that I purchased this product at the local Stop and Shop many years ago. I do remember that it did have muenster cheese and was curious as to whether that type of cheese had some kind of kosher significance. As I remember, it was okay as frozen pizzas go. I probably doctored the thing up anyway and added more cheese at home. If I did send this pizza, I would suggest that my brother add some of the freshly made local Wisconsin mozzarella to it.
    Be that as it is, I am still searching for a reasonable priced alternative.

mark
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1