Pizza in Italy--yuck!

Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Author
Julietflower
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 08:52:28 (permalink)
I enjoyed it a lot,,,,, still remember the taste..........

Juliet

BarbaraCt
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 333
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 09:15:01 (permalink)
We had pizza in Rome, in the Embassy area. It was in a semi-basement. We had to go down a couple of stairs. They were playing American country music, but only spoke italian. Fortunately, pizza and prosciutto were enough to get the message across. It was excellent. Had pizza in other parts of Italy, too and all were good. We live in Ct. and they have wonderful pizza here with which to compare.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5047
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 09:35:06 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by twinwillow

quote:
Originally posted by Mosca

I love the "quattro stagione" wood fired oven pizza; you know, the really thin almost cracker crust, fresh tomato sauce, fresh basil, fresh mozzarella, and then each quarter different; one with pancetta, one with artichoke hearts, one with porcini, and one with pimento. I don't know how authentic it is, but I love that pizza. Is the style similar to that in Italy? The thin crust and the fresh ingredients?

Tom

Yes! That's the style of pizza I had in the restaurant near the PANTHEON.

For those of you interested, the name of the pizza restaurant I wrote about near the Pantheon is, "La Sagrestia"
address: Via del Seminario 89, Roma.
Enjoy!
GordonW
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 924
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/17 10:01:56 (permalink)
I wonder what a visitor from Italy would say when the Domino's guy comes to deliver.
Ciaoman
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 375
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/22 22:51:12 (permalink)
As good as the pizza is in Italy, there are so many other things that are even better. The seafood, the vegetables, the perfectly cooked and sauced pasta, the amazing cheeses, the salumi, the gelato and the best coffee in the world. Don't forget the regional specialties which make the term "Italian food" mean different things from place to place, region to region. I'm guessing that the originator of this thread went on a bus tour of Italy, ate at the places that feature tourist menus, and ordered what she'd order at home, e.g., Spaghetti and Meatballs. A trip to a wonderful place like Italy (or most any other country for that matter) is wasted when the traveller goes with the expectation that it'll be just like home and if it's not, then it's "yuck."
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:04:52 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Ciaoman

As good as the pizza is in Italy, there are so many other things that are even better. The seafood, the vegetables, the perfectly cooked and sauced pasta, the amazing cheeses, the salumi, the gelato and the best coffee in the world. Don't forget the regional specialties which make the term "Italian food" mean different things from place to place, region to region. I'm guessing that the originator of this thread went on a bus tour of Italy, ate at the places that feature tourist menus, and ordered what she'd order at home, e.g., Spaghetti and Meatballs. A trip to a wonderful place like Italy (or most any other country for that matter) is wasted when the traveller goes with the expectation that it'll be just like home and if it's not, then it's "yuck."

Well said!
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:08:16 (permalink)
Pizza in Italy is good........................ Pizza in the United States is Superior. Lets face it we here do every thing better. .Nowhere in Italy will you find a better pizza then the pizza you'll find in Connecticut / New York and Chicago .....
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:11:32 (permalink)
Yeah, well what about the rest of us that don't live in those three areas. We can only dream...........
sizz
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 00:56:42 (permalink)
quote:

Yeah, well what about the rest of us that don't live in those three areas. We can only dream...........
Well Madam I see your from Dallas so you can always fix yourself a world renowned Texas BBQ beef brisket sandwich and let the Italians dream of one day coming to Texas to feast on what you have...........
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 01:01:17 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:

Well Madam I see your from Dallas so you can always fix yourself a world renowned Texas BBQ beef brisket sandwich and let the Italians dream of one day coming to Texas to feast on what you have...........

Very nice. But, I'm a MALE not a female. Where did you get "madame" from, pray tell.
sizz
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 01:29:51 (permalink)
quote:

Very nice. But, I'm a MALE not a female. Where did you get "madame" from, pray tell.

With a name like "TwinWillow"............................... you mean "WeepingWillow" was already taken? ....lol
this reminds me of the Johnny Cash song "My Name is Sue" I suppose your screen name will make you a stronger person and I apologies for the assumption that you were a madame least you poke me in the nose.............. I once made the same mistake with a fellow roadfooder named " Fieldthistle " who is now my friend. Let's hope the same scenario will repeat itself. ............... Frank
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/23 01:33:40 (permalink)
No Problem. "Twinwillow" was the name of my vineyard in Sonoma in Northen California.
We had two large weeping willow trees at the entrance to our vineyard. Hence the name.
rbpalmer
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 469
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/07/31 10:18:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by GordonW

I wonder what a visitor from Italy would say when the Domino's guy comes to deliver.

The same thing that I would say -- "Sorry, you've got the wrong house!"
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6204
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/08/27 18:07:28 (permalink)
hey,
Having been to Italy many times,I got to tell you,the pizza there is unique to "The Boot". When I first went to italy in the early 70's,pizza was hard to find outside Naples, With the influx of American tourist in the 80's, 90's and today,they've learned to give us what we're looking for when we go there. I think in so doing, they discovered their own regional dish, and now pizza is everywhere...not just a food of the Neopolitans. Now real Neopolitan pizza can be found everywhere. It's the thin crust,woodburning oven pizza so many of you have been talking about.
There is another pizza, all over Italy,especially in Rome called Pizza Rustica. It's best described as being closest to Square "Sicilian" Pizza you get in many places here in the states.. Last time I was there, they were serving it like so many pizzarias now serve it here..by putting pans of many types out in a row for customers to choose the toppings they like best.There they served it by weight..so many lira per kilo. You indicated how large a piece and they cut you a slice,weighed it on a scale,priced it and gave it to you. . You could order quite a few small pieces...and try a nice variety. I wish some pizza places would adopt that idea...by weight slices.
By the way I like pizza capricosa(Spelling?) pizza with "evrything". Each place I went to had different toppimgs. Once in Florence, a pizza capricosa had a poached egg in the center of the pie!!!
My favorite surprise was potato pizza..a white pizza with thin slices of potato ,dizzled olive oil, salt pepper and spices/
When I'm in Italy I try a different place everyday. Yes American pizza(New York style..Chicago pizza isn.t pizza,but more a pizza layer cake) is different...but in the land where pizza was invented,Pizza Still Rules.
Hope this didn't rattle on too long, but Pizza is my passion!
leethebard
UrbanSpaceman
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 48
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/08/29 09:55:49 (permalink)
My parents are actually leaving on vacation for Italy at the end of this week. I'm interested in hearing what my dad thinks about actual Italian pizza considering the only toppings he tolerates on pizza are pepperoni and sausage. He's also convinced that it wont top Chicago-style pizza, specifically Lou Malnati's. I thought most if not all Italian pizza was more vegetable based?
bosco lover
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 155
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/09/05 13:29:55 (permalink)
i'm kinda shocked at the OP. to go all the way to Italy and then dismiss it as yuck, and they need to cook like us
i've only been to venice, but the pizza i had there nearly blew my head off it was so good. very simple with the best ingredients. had a prosciutto and fresh artichoke pizza that i still wish i could recreate
jmckee
  • Total Posts : 1181
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/09/05 17:41:37 (permalink)
Other topics to be launched in this series:

Sauerbraten in Germany: What a joke!
Jambalaya in Louisiana? I don't think so
What do the French know about pommes frites?
Hey Minnesota! You call this lutefisk?

And as an added bonus: I guess you Chinese people think you can make hot and sour soup
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/09/05 21:08:42 (permalink)
Hey! Don't forget fish and chips in England. Yuk!
Grin
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 17:22:11 (permalink)
There's no doubt, American pizza is THE BEST!!! Thick and greasy like a slice of lard, yummm! We should teach the whole world how to make it. European chefs can only dream of coming up with something as delicious as our famous E coli topping.

"414,000 Pizza Cases With Possible E. Coli O157:H7"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87574.php

Steroid beef, OGM vegs, antibiotics milk... here in the US we do know what to eat.

rainroosty
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 34
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 17:55:44 (permalink)
We love the pizza at Pizza Hut and also at the Olive Garden. I don't know if anyone here has had Olive Garden's pizza, but you'd be suprised!
It's a home-made style...great! I've also had the same experience with the pizza at Cheesecake Factory......good stuff!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 18:03:29 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Grin

There's no doubt, American pizza is THE BEST!!! Thick and greasy like a slice of lard, yummm! We should teach the whole world how to make it. European chefs can only dream of coming up with something as delicious as our famous E coli topping.

"414,000 Pizza Cases With Possible E. Coli O157:H7"

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/87574.php

Steroid beef, OGM vegs, antibiotics milk... here in the US we do know what to eat.

Welcome aboard. Great first post! Laughed my a#s off.
porkbeaks
  • Total Posts : 2215
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 19:38:34 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by rainroosty

We love the pizza at Pizza Hut and also at the Olive Garden. I don't know if anyone here has had Olive Garden's pizza, but you'd be suprised!
It's a home-made style...great! I've also had the same experience with the pizza at Cheesecake Factory......good stuff!

Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/03 20:15:35 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
Originally posted by rainroosty

Me too!
divefl
  • Total Posts : 1671
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/12 20:27:20 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by Greymo

The only thing I can think is that you are a person who enjoys The Pizza Hut and Olive Garden. Many people do think that is real Italian food.............how sad.

Ouch.
lleechef
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6658
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/13 05:41:08 (permalink)
My mother's family lives in Torino and Milano. A standard "quick lunch" is a plain slice of pizza, just a little tomato and cheese. Nothing drippy like American pizza. I can't eat American pizza. I love the food in Italy! Especially the gnocchi!
paoconnell
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 71
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/15 19:50:34 (permalink)
According to my son, pizza was invented in Naples, where he was stationed when he was in the Navy. In that city, there are only a limited number of way that pizza is made. No anchovies, mushroom, and black olive pizzas; that's not on the list. IIRC Pizza Margharita, one of the varieties sold, is close to a basic American cheese pizza, but has buffalo mozzarella and sliced tomatoes on it (Maybe with fresh basil? someone here will know).
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6328
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/15 21:17:16 (permalink)
A good Margherita pizza is going to have fresh basil, the leaves, and plenty of it, not the shake on basil that comes out of a herb jar. A Margherita pizza is a pretty basic pizza but when made right tastes very good. Along with basil, a good sprits of olive oil, fresh garlic, mozzarella cheese, sliced Romano tomatoes and you have a great pizza. The fresh basil it what gives it its distinctive flavor. Actually very simple.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6204
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/22 06:49:18 (permalink)
Let's keep this simple. Pizza is Italian and Italians make Pizza. Pizza Hut, Olive Garden etc make imitations...some ok, some poor. Pizza Hut does NOT make Pizza. It makes a dough thing with red sugar water. A friend of mine who manages a Pizza Hut told me they put sugar even in the dough!!!
In Italy I've tasted traditional Brick oven pizza from wood fired ovens with every topping possible. Loved pizza with a poached egg.
In Rome try "Pizza Rustica" similar to our sicilian pizza..served by weight.
In my 62 years,I've eaten pizza from around the world. Many call their creations pizza,but Italy still makes the original...AND BEST. Italian American pizzarias are great...many superb, but add the Italian setting,put a slice in my hand, and there is nothing,NOTHING, better than a real slice of real pizza in real italy. Over! Done! That's it!
Twinwillow
Sirloin
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/11/23 17:31:51 (permalink)
Having just returned from the Tuscany area of Italy, I am attaching a photo of one of the very best pizzas I have ever had. Taken in a small restaurant in Montepulciano, It is a wood oven baked thin crust pizza loaded with FRESH PORCINI mushrooms and house made sausage. Don't tell me you can get a pizza like this in the US.[img][/img] #9;11/23/2007 #9;145
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2973
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2007/12/08 22:42:32 (permalink)
Oh good lord twinwillow, that looks awesome.
Page: < 1234 > Showing page 2 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1