Pizza in Italy--yuck!

Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Author
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6340
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/26 19:01:03 (permalink)
I don't think chain food is going to kill you per se and most likely you will not gag over it or they would not stay in business. But I am not going to travel around the country like I do and eat food I can get at home any day. The adventure and discussion is to find something new (and hopefully good of course). That's why I have little interest in discussing the merits of chain food. Maybe someone ought to start a new website called Chainfood.com. Unfortunately the url is already taken.

There are just too many restaurant, cafes, diners, dives, and drive-ins to try than to keep going back to the same ol' same ol'.

But I must confess I do frequent Culver's (a chain) a lot because it is very close to home and convenient when I do not feel like spending a lot of time dining. Italian? Since this is the subject of pizza and Italy, the two chains I like are Biaggi's and Buca de Beppo but I never go to either with any regularity.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5065
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/26 19:27:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by porkbeaks

quote:
Originally posted by leethebard

Ha Ha Ha....sizz......
It's possible you know.....I guess I'm living proof you can have been raised on superior Italian food..and still like a chain Italian meal....most of you people are a bit unfair to this chain...I've eaten in very expensive Italian places, and had a lesser meal than what I can get in Olive Garden.Ours in Toms river has won awards...and is good...I'll grant maybe they're not all the same quality, however. So come to Toms River and check out ours.
leethebard

What is your opinion of Carrabba's Italian Grill? pb

Although I was not asked, I will tell you that personally, I love Carraba's restaurants. Because many are "locally owned", quality depends on A particular restaurant. We have a superb Carrabba's in North Dallas that is always busy. Unlike 2 others in the Dallas area that were owned by a different group and closed because of lack of business.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6244
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/26 21:02:49 (permalink)
Hi,
Since I was asked, I'll reply. I'm an Italian American who also likes Carrabba's Italian Grill. The food is quality and fresh...and tasty. Ours here in Brick is also very good, perhaps a bit better than the Olive Garden I mentioned a few posts up from here. My one big complaint with Carrabba's is its menu. Being an Italian who makes all the classic dishes for our family, we usually don't eat the regular Italian pasta dishes others would eat at a restaurant like this!. We're looking for that unusual dish we just don't make at home...we don't buy lasagna,ravioli, etc.Carrabba's just dosen't have enough unusual and creative dishes for me...but what I've tried is really very good.LOVE their lentil soup with sausage,by the way.
I agree, perhaps chains vary by area...both our Olive Garden..and Carrabba's are very good. THEY WOULD HAVE TO BE. THERE ARE A LOT OF ITALIANS IN OUR AREA!!!!!!
tacchino
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 560
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/26 21:47:41 (permalink)
I think I have mentioned this before, but I'll admit, I am another Italian American who finds Carrabba's actually pretty decent...I always think the simpler dishes are easier to mess up, so I was extremely please at a simple dish of tagliarini in a basic tomato sauce...it was perfectly cooked, the balance of flavors was very good, and I have to say, it was done much better than in a number of independently owned Italian American mom-and-pop places I have been to.
I have tasted a few other dishes at Carrabba's, and really found the quality to be quite good.
As for Olive Garden, oh well....I find iceberg lettuce salads boring to begin with, and their vinaigrette just tastes too acidic and "chemical" for my tastes. I haven't had much luck with their pastas, either...they usually tend to be overcooked, and the sauces very gloppy. As for the doughy and undercooked "breadsticks," well, not my cup of tea, either.
I did have a steak dish that was cooked well there, once.
Guess this thread has gotten a bit off topic, huh?

Anyhow, back to pizza in Italy...as I said much earlier in the thread, I have always found it delicious, made with fresh ingredients, and never oversauced, overcheesed, or drowning in subpar vegetables and meats, like I have eaten at times in the US (even in non-chain places in supposedly pizza-savvy cities).
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6244
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/27 07:17:52 (permalink)
tacchino,
I want to echo those comments about the pizza. From what I have seen,Italian pizza has always been well made. "Served with pride" as the main ingredient.
I totally agree with your Carrabba's review.(See my comments above)
I have eaten in a few Olive Garden's with my family. One in Colorado Springs was nothing to write home about, but, I repeat, the one here in Toms River is great. Pasta is always Al Dente. I'll give you the comment on the breadsticks....true....I find the salad great...Tuscan peppers and all!
But back to the original thread, what annoys me about so many travellers is they take one or two experiences, and upon that build a generality. "Oh those New Yorkers"... or "People in Chicago.."...or even, "Pizza in Italy,Yuck" See what I mean. If polsters ran their business that way....oh well...
sizz
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1685
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/27 14:30:26 (permalink)
quote:

But back to the original thread, what annoys me about so many travellers is they take one or two experiences, and upon that build a generality. "Oh those New Yorkers"... or "People in Chicago.."...or even, "Pizza in Italy,Yuck" See what I mean. If polsters ran their business that way....oh well...
fool me once, shame on you ........... fool me twice same on me,
Life is to short to hunt across a country like Italy looking for a pizza that would compare to or be better then the pizza you could get in the USofA

once again....pizza in Italy is good, but it is different from the pizzas we have in the US.
We are not comparing apples to apples here.....
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
RE: Pizza in Italy--yuck! 2008/01/27 14:47:47 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by sizz

quote:

fool me once, shame on you ........... fool me twice same on me,
Life is to short to hunt across a country like Italy looking for a pizza that would compare to or be better then the pizza you could get in the USofA

once again....pizza in Italy is good, but it is different from the pizzas we have in the US.
We are not comparing apples to apples here.....

Where did you eat the best restaurant pizza you have ever had in the USA?
Page: < 1234 Showing page 4 of 4
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1