Pizza in the Midwest

Author
mcoge
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 4
2007/12/23 12:19:03 (permalink)

Pizza in the Midwest

Does anyone know of a pizza place in NE Kansas that has New York style pizza. We have just moved to Topeka, and have not found 1 place that tastes as good as NY / NJ pizza.

4 Replies Related Threads

1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4652
    RE: Pizza in the Midwest 2007/12/23 12:44:09 (permalink)
    The KC contingent will chime in. Not many Italians in Topeka. Most all of the Italian community in KC came from Sicily. New place in the crossroads(DTKC) pizza bella, has a wood fired oven:
    http://forum.kcrag.com/index.php?topic=12158.0
    Just as an aside, KC'ers HATE anything to do with NY, especially if it involves the YANKEES
    Niagara
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 985
    RE: Pizza in the Midwest 2007/12/26 12:09:48 (permalink)
    mcoge-

As a native (Western) New Yorker who's lived in Topeka for the past 20 years, I have to say that the only place here with pizza even remotely close to NY style is Glory Days. Are you from NY?

The best NY style pizza in this area is at d'Bronx in Kansas City - we usually go the location in KCMO on 39th Street near KU Med.

Bill - yeah, they do hate the Yankees - that's why I love to wear my Yankee jersey to the "K" when the Yankees come to town (the only reason to attend a Royals game, IMHO).
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4652
    RE: Pizza in the Midwest 2007/12/26 12:22:02 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Niagara

mcoge-

As a native (Western) New Yorker who's lived in Topeka for the past 20 years, I have to say that the only place here with pizza even remotely close to NY style is Glory Days. Are you from NY?

The best NY style pizza in this area is at d'Bronx in Kansas City - we usually go the location in KCMO on 39th Street near KU Med.

Bill - yeah, they do hate the Yankees - that's why I love to wear my Yankee jersey to the "K" when the Yankees come to town (the only reason to attend a Royals game, IMHO).

These days(years? Decades?) that's certainly true[|)]
    PumpkinStalker
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Pizza in the Midwest 2008/01/02 01:30:21 (permalink)
    If you venture to KC, it's easy. Take a straight shot on I-70. Here is a list of pizza places one hour from you.

Tarantino’s
    Minsky's
    Primo Pizza & Pasta
    Cupini’s
    Grinders
    Art of Pizza
    Pizza Bella
    d'Bronx

I personally suggest Grinders. It's an damn honest dive, serving crakery crust pizza with an extremely varied topping assortment. Waitresses are gruff, don't let it scare you (although if you're from the NE, you'll be just fine!) HUGE beer assortment. If you're a beer snob, you'll be perfectly at home with microbrews from all over the country. You'll find it on 18th St. Take I-70, merging onto 670. Exit on Oak, turn left on 18th, it's on the right.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1