Pizza........

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
iluvcfood
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 530
2012/06/15 15:54:30 (permalink)

Pizza........

Pizza is a MUST with lots of meat and EXTRA cheese!  

43 Replies Related Threads

MetroplexJim
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4323
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 10:15:47 (permalink)
    It has been my experience that the only places that "load up" their pizza unfortunately serve it on cardboard crusts.

The exception, of course, is "Chicago-style" which is really more casserole than pizza.

In my youth I used to like it "your way" - a la Domino's "Exxtraganza" - but now I favor the Neopolitain-style which is relatively light (and digestible).
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6361
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 11:39:50 (permalink)
    In another topic,we were just saying Chicago style pizza is really more like a casserole than a true pizza. I agree. Interesting, nice taste...just not traditional pizza.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 11:44:03 (permalink)
    And if you look attoday's digest,good Italian pizza can have any great topping. I learned to experiment in Italy and often also ordered the house special pizza capricosa. Once had a "loaded" pie with a poached egg sitting(er, running) in the center. Still good....after all I was sitting at a cafe in Florence!!!! Italian pizza rules!!!!
    post edited by leethebard - 2012/06/16 11:46:24
    ayersian
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 903
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 12:33:34 (permalink)
    leethebard, thanks for that!  The location definitely makes a difference, and even the so-so pizza that we ate in Italy was pretty amazing.  Speaking of the runny egg, we really enjoyed one like this with crispy kale at Posto here in Somerville -- really outstanding.    Chris
    TJ Jackson
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4614
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 13:41:04 (permalink)
    leethebard
    Chicago style pizza is really more like a casserole than a true pizza. I agree.

Again, not true on the basis that there is more than one Chicago style pizza, and not all of those styles could be reasonably described as like casseroles
    ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8695
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 17:46:10 (permalink)
    Numero Uno, and Due, is very one of a kind, having started in Chicago.. Is it true Chicago pizza? No-but these guys(from Texas, originally) started it. They also started a tex/mex around the corner from Due.Ate at both. Fabulous.
    californyguy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 513
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/16 20:07:07 (permalink)
                                                M A R U C A S  !!!
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/17 08:25:10 (permalink)
    Yes, one of the best at the shore.......
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18947
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/06/17 19:22:59 (permalink)
    I'll take mine "plain." That's just some tomato, oregano, garlic and olive oil, plus some grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano Reggiano cheese. Simple. Delicious.
    AndreaB
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1303
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/10 15:12:11 (permalink)
    I like a Hawaiian pizza with ham, pineapple, onions, and a BBQ style sauce base.  I like most pizza, so long as it doesn't have anchovies or broccoli and the crust is neither too thick nor too thin. 

badart
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 37
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/10 17:42:30 (permalink)
    ann peeples

Numero Uno, and Due, is very one of a kind, having started in Chicago.. Is it true Chicago pizza? No-but these guys(from Texas, originally) started it. They also started a tex/mex around the corner from Due.Ate at both. Fabulous.

Su Casa?

marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 370
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/20 06:15:06 (permalink)
    iluvcfood

Pizza is a MUST with lots of meat and EXTRA cheese!  

depends what you're into. the purists here define pizza as having only crust, sauce and cheese, basically junk food like potato chips or doritos...... this also explains their mental state due to improper nutrition.......

add meat and veggies of any kind, and the purists here will whine and complain very loudly and obnoxiously that you are some sort of idiot. it's really best to ignore the loud ones and go for what you like. :) for 99% of the population, pizza is a complete meal in itself due to having both veggies and meat included.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/20 06:51:37 (permalink)
    I don't know what you're talking about. When it comes to real Italian pizza, I'm as "pure" as you can get.....and real pizza can have any topping you can dream up. Italians are quite creative. We've talked here, in many threads, about the various pies you can try in Italy..Yes the Italian pizza organization requires certain ingredients for an Italian Margherita pie(our Plain), like Buffalo cheese etc, but some of the most creative toppings are found in Italy......."Purists" eat toppings too!! To a purist, Pizza Hut and their ilk are not "pure"...and on that I'll agree!!! But toppings.....go for it!!!
    post edited by leethebard - 2012/08/20 06:52:51
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7967
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/20 07:37:13 (permalink)
    leethebard

I completely agree with you, however I beleive marzit has an issue with people who had a different opinion about the state of  pizza in Seattle .

When I lived there The toppings there were just so wrong-always raw veggies (even onion, peppers peppers and mushrooms)  and the sauce always tasted like someone accidentally dumped an entire load of basil into it.  I spent my over three years there trying to find one half decent pizza. Never found it.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/20 12:27:54 (permalink)
    Wanderingjew.......I agree...bad pizza is always caused by bad ingredients...toppings and basics......my comment was that  a pizza purist still accepts a pizza with good toppings......Purist doesn't mean devoid of toppings!!
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/21 06:45:30 (permalink)
    wanderingjew

leethebard

I completely agree with you, however I beleive marzit has an issue with people who had a different opinion about the state of  pizza in Seattle .

When I lived there The toppings there were just so wrong-always raw veggies (even onion, peppers peppers and mushrooms)  and the sauce always tasted like someone accidentally dumped an entire load of basil into it.  I spent my over three years there trying to find one half decent pizza. Never found it.

you didn't look hard enough, or you were here a very long time ago......

this is 2012.

there is good pizza in the seattle area if you know where to get it. (hint- the largest italian population is in the south end, far out of the seattle city limits...)
    mom-and-pop shops don't like to be named in public, so that's the most i'll say.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/21 08:08:32 (permalink)
    marzsit

wanderingjew

leethebard

you didn't look hard enough, or you were here a very long time ago......

this is 2012.

there is good pizza in the seattle area if you know where to get it. (hint- the largest italian population is in the south end, far out of the seattle city limits...)
    mom-and-pop shops don't like to be named in public, so that's the most i'll say.

I haven't lived in Seattle in over 16 years. I guess things could change however Wheregreggeats.com has been there much more recently than I have and he told me that the pizza situation in Seattle hasn't changed at all, I still have friends in Seattle with east coast connnections who have told me the same thing

edit....

BTW, Seattle had a very "minute" Italian population.  Asian and Pacific Islanders, yes, otherwise it was mostly English, Dutch, German  and largely Scandinavian
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/08/21 09:34:05
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/22 06:51:02 (permalink)

I haven't lived in Seattle in over 16 years. I guess things could change however Wheregreggeats.com has been there much more recently than I have and he told me that the pizza situation in Seattle hasn't changed at all, I still have friends in Seattle with east coast connnections who have told me the same thing

edit....

BTW, Seattle had a very "minute" Italian population.  Asian and Pacific Islanders, yes, otherwise it was mostly English, Dutch, German  and largely Scandinavian

i don't know what neighborhood you lived in, but i was surrounded by coluccio's, motolla's, nisco's, merlino's and scarsella's when i grew up in south seattle, specifically the rainier valley area. there is a large italian population here, and lots of catholic churches as well as catholic private schools. your information is faulty. been here for 47 years.....

gregg, your buddy, doesn't get around much really...... he missed fat smittys as the best burger joint on the peninsula and called red mill burgers as "ok"... total idiot.  i checked out his reviews, he's as clueless as you. and, you think he knows what good pizza is........

but, you haven't been out this way for 16+ years, so why are you saying anything at all?
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/22 07:37:52 (permalink)
    marzsit

i don't know what neighborhood you lived in, but i was surrounded by coluccio's, motolla's, nisco's, merlino's and scarsella's when i grew up in south seattle, specifically the rainier valley area. there is a large italian population here, and lots of catholic churches as well as catholic private schools. your information is faulty. been here for 47 years.....

gregg, your buddy, doesn't get around much really...... he missed fat smittys as the best burger joint on the peninsula and called red mill burgers as "ok"... total idiot.  i checked out his reviews, he's as clueless as you. and, you think he knows what good pizza is........

but, you haven't been out this way for 16+ years, so why are you saying anything at all?

And you sir are a flat out Jack Ass
    We do not throw insults at others on this forum like you just did.

The five places you mentioned (probably the only 5) with a city of nearly 4 million people does not make a "large" Italian population. I worked in an office of over 250 people. I think there were 2, no, one person that was Italian, that was it!
    You do not know when I've been out there last, I never made any such comments.

Pizza in Seattle SUCKS!

Deal with it!
    post edited by wanderingjew - 2012/08/22 08:17:41
    NYPIzzaNut
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3151
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/22 09:04:25 (permalink)
    leethebard

Wanderingjew.......I agree...bad pizza is always caused by bad ingredients...toppings and basics......my comment was that  a pizza purist still accepts a pizza with good toppings......Purist doesn't mean devoid of toppings!!
    .....bad pizza is also caused by folks who have no clue how to make great pizza...

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/22 09:37:11 (permalink)
    NYPIzzaNut

leethebard

.....bad pizza is also caused by folks who have no clue how to make great pizza...

lee
    brisketboy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1151
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/08/22 09:40:45 (permalink)
    I remember from my navy days doing a port call in Naples and the pizza was pretty simplistic. Crust, sauce, mozzerella and that was pretty much it. This was 1970 so I can't remember if it was good or not.
    marzsit
    Cheeseburger
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 09:37:45 (permalink)
    owners said they didn't mind some publicity...
    http://www.pulcinellapizza.com/

leethebard
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 09:45:31 (permalink)
    marzit, sure looks like the real thing!!!!!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6430
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 10:20:26 (permalink)
    Look around. You can't judge Seattle or any other place from a decade ago. In just the past few years many good pizza shops have discovered the art of wood fired ovens at over 700F as the key to great crust using tipo 00 flour, water, salt and yeast, San Marzano tomatoes, de Bufala cheese, extra virgin olive oil and then quality toppings. That's the simple method from Naples, Italy and pretty hard to mess up done right. Yes, I have had pizza in Naples, Italy. I'm spoiled now. My test is to first order a simple Margherita pizza just to see if they know how to make a pizza and also use the right ingredients in the right balance. Then you can glop what you like be it pineapple to BBQ sauce or whatever your tastes desire.
    post edited by Davydd - 2012/09/17 10:21:57
    fishtaco
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 820
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 14:16:59 (permalink)
    brisketboy

I remember from my navy days doing a port call in Naples and the pizza was pretty simplistic. Crust, sauce, mozzerella and that was pretty much it. This was 1970 so I can't remember if it was good or not.

Up the road from Napoli in Gaeta. Been 30 years since I was there. But pretty much the same and one of the most delicious foods that has ever passed my lips.

Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5120
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 18:16:15 (permalink)
    @iluvcfood ~ Some people just don't seem to understand that for some of us, less is more. I grew up in NYC where the topping on pizza was, cheese only! If you want to load up your pizza with everything including the kitchen sink, that's fine if that's what you like.
    But, don't speak for me. I eat my pizza in Dallas at Cane Rosso.
    My favorite pie and a must for me is their "Regina Margherita". That's nothing more than a Neapolitan style pizza with sauce made from Italian San Marzano tomatoes, Bufala Mozzarella, and basil. Although, I do add hot sopressata.
    But please, don't express your opinion that the must for you is a must for all!
    post edited by Twinwillow - 2012/09/17 18:26:20
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 18:23:50 (permalink)
    fishtaco

brisketboy

Up the road from Napoli in Gaeta. Been 30 years since I was there. But pretty much the same and one of the most delicious foods that has ever passed my lips.

I was in Naples and Southern Italy a few years ago and I can tell you, it still is the way to go! Well, maybe a few anchovies wouldn't hurt.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    Re:Pizza........ 2012/09/17 18:30:51 (permalink)
    Davydd

Look around. You can't judge Seattle or any other place from a decade ago. In just the past few years many good pizza shops have discovered the art of wood fired ovens at over 700F as the key to great crust using tipo 00 flour, water, salt and yeast, San Marzano tomatoes, de Bufala cheese, extra virgin olive oil and then quality toppings. That's the simple method from Naples, Italy and pretty hard to mess up done right. Yes, I have had pizza in Naples, Italy. I'm spoiled now. My test is to first order a simple Margherita pizza just to see if they know how to make a pizza and also use the right ingredients in the right balance. Then you can glop what you like be it pineapple to BBQ sauce or whatever your tastes desire.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1