Pizza on the Grill

Author
Dr of BBQ
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3716
2007/05/20 21:42:09 (permalink)

Pizza on the Grill

This is new from Cooks Illustrated (America's Test Kitchen)
The pizzas cook very quickly on the grill, so before you begin grilling them, be sure to have all the equipment and ingredients you need at hand. Equipment includes a pizza peel (or a rimless baking sheet), a pair of tongs, a paring knife, a large cutting board, and a pastry brush; ingredients include all the toppings and a small bowl of flour for dusting. Timing and coordination are crucial; if you are unsure of your skill level, try cooking the first two pizzas one at a time, then work up to cooking the final two in tandem. The pizzas are best served hot off the grill but can be kept warm for 20 to 30 minutes on a wire rack in a 200-degree oven. Hardwood charcoal and charcoal briquettes work equally well. Whichever you use, it is important that the coals be spread in an even layer over three-quarters of the grill bottom; coals placed any higher will scorch the crust.Makes four 9-inch pizzas

For the entire story and the how to pictures click on this link:

www.cooksillustrated.com/article.asp?articleid=1192&bdc=14304

Jack@drofBBQ.com
www.DrofBBQ.com

5 Replies Related Threads

MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Pizza on the Grill 2007/05/20 22:20:16 (permalink)
    I was brought up having mozzarella, red sauce, onions, Italian sausage and sometimes pepperoni and green peppers on a pizza. I'm sure these are great but I'm afraid I'm too set in my ways to really enjoy them. Ditto for the East Coast apeetz. Now I do love the crusts and after making this pizza once on the grill, I found that I love to take a cheap frozen pizza (cheaper the better) and put it on unglazed tiles and cook on the Weber Genesis gas grill after dusting the tiles with corn meal. I add only onions, some oregano, a sprinkle of water (do this on any frozen pizza-it brings the sauce back to life), and occasionally minced garlic and crushed red pepper flakes. BBQ'd or more properly named, grilled pizza adds flavors you cannot get in a home oven.
    rongmtek
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 503
    RE: Pizza on the Grill 2007/05/20 22:42:59 (permalink)
    I buy fresh pizza dough and make flatbread directly on the grill. I work the dough into an oblong shape, brush it with a little olive oil and balsamic vinegar, and lay it directly on my pre-heated gas grill. (I know, I know; but after years of use, it's got plenty of vaporized flavor.)
    The dough needs only a few minutes per side. It's great with roasted vegies from the grill (onions, eggplant, zucchini, whole garlic, peppers, etc) good sharp provolone, salami, and olives for a nice antipasto platter.
    MilwFoodlovers
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3143
    RE: Pizza on the Grill 2007/05/20 23:00:36 (permalink)
    rongmtek
    That's what I did too. It was good but since it involved adding already grilled veggies I couldn't think of it as a pizza. I remember the recipe I used called for heavy olive oil brushing and I can see serving it again alongside of an antipasto platter.
    desertdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1946
    RE: Pizza on the Grill 2007/05/21 00:58:45 (permalink)

This was my effort a few months ago. I love doing pizza on the grill. Now that I do it this way it's seems almost strange to make them the traditional way...

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=17018

rouxdog
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1421
    RE: Pizza on the Grill 2007/05/22 21:25:53 (permalink)
    OK, here's my confession.......... Went to Wallyworld today, got a handful of those little personal pizzas, the GV brand(you Walmart closet shoppers understand). Back home, I placed the trusty pizza stone on the grill, cranked up the 3 burner propaner, back to the kitchen, took one of those frisbee pizzas, cheese and something red the package referred to as pepperoni, doused with red pepper flakes and topped with a hefty amount of parmesan. I then tossed it on the hot stone. Phone rang, back to the kitchen, talked about 6 minutes, then back to check on my first grilled pizza. Absolutely perfect! Bubbly on top very crispy crust, just the way I enjoy. I'm hooked! Can't wait til Nancy gets back in town to show off my new culinary skill.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1