Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
bxfinest
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 79
2004/07/20 20:03:54 (permalink)

Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians

In the NE section of the Bronx, Nicks Pizza on E Gun Hill Rd makes the best sicillian slices that I've tasted. The mixture of over loaded mozzarella, sauce and perfectly cooked crust makes it taste outstanding. What's your experience in finding the perfect sicillian slice?

37 Replies Related Threads

Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    • Total Posts : 18255
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/20 20:37:56 (permalink)
    I've never heard of a Sicilian. I'm a Neapolitan man, myself. And, while I've heard that some people sell slices, I've never encountered such a thing -- thank goodness.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/21 00:13:21 (permalink)
    Well if you find a Pizza shop that can actually make a good sicilian pizza you should try a slice. Good eating fugiduboutit!!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 11:33:56 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Michael Hoffman

I've never heard of a Sicilian. I'm a Neapolitan man, myself. And, while I've heard that some people sell slices, I've never encountered such a thing -- thank goodness.

No slices? 50% of New York City would be wondering what to eat for lunch!

As for the perfect scilian slice...it is hard to find. Too many places overload the sauce and cheese and you wind up with a thick, soggy slice. I like it light on the ingredients and cooked till a little crisp...and give me a corner.
    Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 12:15:08 (permalink)
    I have had many Sicilians at "La Strada" off Randolph Road in Charlotte, NC and at "Piccolla Italia" in Raleigh's Cameron Village. Both were excellent.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 12:30:06 (permalink)
    L&B Spumoni Garden in NYC - great sicilian - they put the sauce over the cheese so the crust is never soggy. I'm drooling just thinking about it.
    MamaPoo
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 38
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 13:32:06 (permalink)
    Ah'm jest a "pore li'l Southern gal " who has never been exposed to the finer points of pizza. I like Pizza Hut just fine! I know ! I know millions of Road Fooders are fainting! I would like to try some authentic "Yankee" pizza, but have never been up "Nawth" What is the difference between Neapolitan pizza & Sicilian pizza! Enlighten me please!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 13:40:05 (permalink)
    The concept of a "slice" is completely foreign to me. WHy would anyone want just a "slice?"
    Grampy
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 13:49:38 (permalink)
    Sicilian pizza is actually a variation of a style of pizza served in Rome. Large rectangles measuring up to 4-feet long are baked in the wood-fired ovens. The toppings vary from basic fresh tomatoes to potato and rosemary. They often sell you slices by weight. The idea is that you can sample a variety of flavors in one sitting.
    efuery
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 630
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 14:48:02 (permalink)
    Sicilian pizza has a much thicker crust than traditional pizza.

Pizza by the slice is ideal for those of us who only have a couple of bucks to spend for lunch and/or don't want to have an entire pie sitting around tempting you to eat it. New York slices are HUGE so 1 slice is probably larger than a "personal" sized pizza.
    1bbqboy
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4580
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 14:57:59 (permalink)
    Doesn't John Travolta stack 2 slices and fold them both while he's going to fetch the cans of paint in that classic movie"Saturday Night Fever"?
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 15:20:45 (permalink)
    To Mike Hoffman:

In NYC pizza by the slice has always been popular since everyones always on the move and it's the most convenient food to eat on the go.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 15:29:32 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bxfinest

To Mike Hoffman:

In NYC pizza by the slice has always been popular since everyones always on the move and it's the most convenient food to eat on the go.

It is also why NY'ers fold their pizza. Many pizzerias have an order window on the sidewalk. You grab the slice, fold it so you can carry in one hand, and carry your drink in the other.
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 15:31:33 (permalink)
    quote:

The concept of a "slice" is completely foreign to me. WHy would anyone want just a "slice?"

Can't eat a whole pie for lunch...well...I could, but I'd get into a cheese induced stupor and have a very unproductive afternoon. One or two slices makes a swell lunch!

You come to NY, I'll buy you a slice. It is the original fast food!
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 16:37:50 (permalink)
    Given the opportunity to get to New York I'd keep going another 75 miles and get a whole Neapolitan pie in New Haven. But thanks for the offer.
    bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 18:20:35 (permalink)
    AHHH New Haven Smaven!!! New York City has plenty of pizza shops in any of the 5 boroughs that'll top New Havens... Guarenteed. For an excellent Pizza experience you need to save the gas money of driving that extra 75 miles and try a slice from NYC. And base on the fact that you never even heard of a sicilian slice nor do you understand the concept of buying pizza by the slice indicates to me that you have not fully encountered the ultimate pizza experience. Don't limit yourself papa!!!

Have you ever heard of a Calzone?
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 19:14:49 (permalink)
    Sure. Anthony "Big Tony" Calzone. He was the third baseman on my high school baseball team, and the right guard on our football team. We were fraternity brothers at Hillhouse High School in New haven. He became a priest.
    Grampy
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/23 23:05:10 (permalink)
    Try the veal.

From the ex-New Yawka dodging bullets in Western Mass.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1393
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/24 08:12:46 (permalink)
    Throughout Pennsylvania there are many shops that make good Sicilian pizza. Old Forge Pizza is very much a sicilian type in shape and size. Hi Way Pizza in State College makes some of the best sicilian pizza in PA. There are shops in Philly that do a great job also.
    santacruz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 372
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 14:30:25 (permalink)
    In Troy New York (Upstate) there are many good Sicialian style pizza places. These are a few of the best.

1. The Red Front....Sicilian done in brick ovens. Very good.
    2. Valentes.....Sicialian great sauce, good cheeses, good dough.
    3. Testo's ....Very good Sicilian style pizza.
    4. Kay's Burden Lake....Good Family style Sicilian.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 16:24:22 (permalink)
    quote:
    quote:

Answered by Tony Bad
    Can't eat a whole pie for lunch...well...I could, but I'd get into a cheese induced stupor and have a very unproductive afternoon. One or two slices makes a swell lunch!

You come to NY, I'll buy you a slice. It is the original fast food!

Shades of crab cakes and the coming Philly great steak sandwich experience.
    I see a NYC pizza taste-a-thon in the works. To be done at lunch, followed by a drive to New Haven for more pizza (by the pie, not the slice) for dinner. Followed by a vote for the best pizza of the day.

Seriously Michael, even in Rochester, many places sell by the slice, for those who don't have time to wait for their own pie to bake. At the good places, the slices go so fast that the pie it came from is usually fresh from the oven. also, when by yourself, you can just get a few slices from a delicious large pie, instead of one of those small dry personal pizza's.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 16:46:11 (permalink)
    I've never seen it sold by the slice anywhere. Now, I've spent lots of time in New York over the years, and can only assume that the reason I never saw it sold that way is because it never occurred to me, being from New Haven, to even consider eating apizza in New York.

That's not a put down of New York, it's simply a matter of fact. Just as I would not order stone crab in Ely, Minnesota, I would not order apizza in New York.

Oh, and I've never seen a personal pizza, whatever that is.
    Michael Hoffman
    Double-chop Porterhouse
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 19:11:13 (permalink)
    That's one of the funniest posts I've read in a very long time. But, that's to be expected, I suppose, from someone who says pizza instead of apizza.
    jm199
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 216
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 20:18:57 (permalink)

I agree with CheeseWit that Hi Way Pizza in State College makes a good Sicilian pizza. I ate many a square there while a student in the 1970s. I always wanted the four corners in order to get the extra crust.

Also, Mineos in the Squirrel Hill and Mt. Lebanon section of Pittsburgh, Pa sell sicilian pizza for $1.80 a slice. I had one for lunch last week (corner slice) and it was quite filling.

Finally, Mr. Michael Hoffman, don't go making cracks about the cuisine of Ely, Mn, birthplace of my father. I just might have to alert my Croation and Slovenian relatives who still reside there to "whack" you with a canoe paddle on your next visit. (Or better yet, send you a box filled with thousands of Minnesota's state bird-of course I am talking about mosquitos!!!)

bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 23:26:50 (permalink)
    Hey Mike:

For a real Pizza Pie come to NYC

bxfinest
    Hamburger
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/26 23:47:55 (permalink)
    What the hell is "apizza"?

Since you like to order pizza by the whole and never heard of ordering by the slice let me school you since I'm from NYC. Most would refer to it as a Pie. Either a small pie, medium pie or large pie!!!

APIZZA

Do you know what's really funny?

"I've never heard of a sicilian"

Common guy you're from New Haven which is not to far from NYC and you never heard of a sicilian? Even Pizza Hut make a BS imitation of a sicilian. I guest you New Haven guys haven't got that far in Pizzology!!!
    Grampy
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/27 10:05:11 (permalink)
    Sicilian is just a rectangular pizza. Nothing more. It can be as varied as any other pizza.

Take it from master Stern: http://roadfood.com/Reviews/Writeup.aspx?ReviewID=221&RefID=221
    Wholebelly
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 24
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/27 15:30:21 (permalink)
    #1) Jerry's Pizza in Stratford, CT
    #2) Massimo's in Bridgeport

Both have excellent Sicilian.

As for slices in New Haven, after a show at Toad's Place, Yorkside on York St. is jammed with people scarfing down slices.
    berndog
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 674
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/27 15:48:44 (permalink)
    Talk about BIG slices. I was recently at the Penny Arcade on Lake Avenue (a rock & roll bar), to hear my son's band. I was starving and couldn't wait for them to start making pizza which they sell by the slice. The pie had to be almost four feet in diameter, and a huge slice of this was only 2 bucks.

Wasn't bad for bar pizza; thin, and the oil from the pepperoni really gave it a nice flavour. Made me think of the hot oil apizzas I've read about here, as it was more oily and not just greasy.
    Grampy
    RE: Pizza shops that make a good Sicillians 2004/07/27 16:54:13 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Ballpark Roadtripper

quote:
    Originally posted by Grampy

Sicilian is just a rectangular pizza. Nothing more. It can be as varied as any other pizza.

This is absolutley false. In NY anyway. Most Sicilian pies in NYC are much thicker than round Neapolitans. Think of a thick, dense foccacia with sauce and cheese. Luigi's on 88th and 1st in manhattan has the best in my opinion.

The more traditional (but also much harder to find) is the thin Sicilian, with the cheese baked right onto the crust, and the sauce spread thin over the cheese, then sprinkled with grated parmesean. Spumoni Gardens in Brooklyn does it this way to PERFECTION.

Either way, it is certainly NOT "just a rectangular pizza".

I will agree that the pie is denser and thicker. That's what made a Sicilian pie, and that's what I liked about it. But having lived in New York for nearly 30 years, I found that apart from the density of the crust, the toppings were virtually the same at most places. My grandmother was Sicilian, and she made a wonderful pie that was very different from it's neo-Neoplolitan cousin. There was a pizzeria on Jamaica Avenue that also made an excellent pie. The sauce was rounder and more peppery, and the cheese was cubed, not grated. A couple of places in the city also tried to create a distinction, but I would say that by and large, most of the Sicilian pizza I consumed -- and I consumed a lot -- used exactly the same sauce and cheese on their pies.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1