Pizza type by region?

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
porkbeaks
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 2217
2008/01/25 09:51:20 (permalink)

Pizza type by region?

I'm pretty sure this subject was touched on in a previous pizza thread. The folks at Slice.com have come up with their own list and it's an interesting read. Read it[url='http://slice.seriouseats.com/archives/2008/01/a-list-of-regional-pizza-styles.html']here[/url]. pb

34 Replies Related Threads

NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/25 10:55:28 (permalink)
    great list :)

But now I am really hungry.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6350
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 10:25:53 (permalink)
    Great list...educational and fascinating...but it didn't have "fake" pizza...like Pizza Hut and Dominoes?
    porkbeaks
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 11:17:45 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Great list...educational and fascinating...but it didn't have "fake" pizza...like Pizza Hut and Dominoes?

[url='http://www.pizzamaking.com/thincrust.php']Here[/url] are the "secrets" of making this type of pizza at home. I assume it would be better than the real/fake pizza since you'd be using your own fresh ingredients. As hard as it is to believe, folks who grew up on Pizza Hut are now interested in reproducing this type at home. pb
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 11:38:11 (permalink)
    Has anyone who has ever had a pizza in New Haven (or, NYC) ever had a decent pie west of the Mississippi?

Let's not confuse issues with deep dish Chicago ...
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 11:45:19 (permalink)
    Once in Phoeniz Arizona..ina pizza place run by 3 men from Bayonne, New Jersey. Some people take New York quality westward.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 11:46:27 (permalink)
    By the way...can that map be updated???
    wheregreggeats.com
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4615
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 11:52:44 (permalink)
    Actually I once had a valid slice at a place called New York Pizza(?), upstairs on Main Street in Aspen.
    artphon
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 29
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 12:14:34 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by wheregreggeats.com

Has anyone who has ever had a pizza in New Haven (or, NYC) ever had a decent pie west of the Mississippi?

Yes. Actually, I had a quite wonderful pie last night at La Vecchia in Santa Monica, CA. White pie with both mozarella and romano cheese, topped with shaved white truffle (not a cheap pie, though the chef did come out, unbidden, and shave some extra truffle on it). It was a Neopolitan-style pizza in shape, size, and thinness of crust, but of course it was not cooked in a wood- or coal-burning oven, so it did not have that amazing smoky flavor. But given the topping and crispness of the crust, the overall experience felt as close to eating Pepe's or Modern's white clam pie as I have had outside of New Haven.

tmizerek
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 77
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 12:33:52 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by leethebard

Once in Phoeniz Arizona..ina pizza place run by 3 men from Bayonne, New Jersey. Some people take New York quality westward.

Do you remember the name of this place?
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 12:39:14 (permalink)
    Sorry...it was years ago...but it was in Glendale..near 52 St(ave??)
    porkbeaks
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 13:21:18 (permalink)
    quote:

Personally, I've never experienced great pizza west of the Mississippi but, from what I hear, you would not be disappointed if you sampled the offerings[url='http://www.pizzeriabianco.com/']here[/url],[url='http://apizzascholls.com/']here[/url], or [url='http://www.mozza-la.com/pizzeria/about.cfm']here[/url]. The price might be a tad steep and the wait for a table less than tolerable, but I believe the pie would satisfy. pb

Davydd
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6412
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/26 14:55:54 (permalink)
    I think it would be a presumption to think you can not get good pizza west of the Mississippi. There is not a lot of magic in making a pizza as the ingredients can be had everywhere and there are more and more wood fired pizza ovens which I do think make the best pizzas. Minneapolis is west of the Mississippi (just barely) and good pizza can be had.

The truth is with travel and knowledge, good food has spread across the country. Even Anthony Bourdain says the best Vietnamese is to be found in Minneapolis/St. Paul. I've read from more than one source that Pizzeria Bianco in Phoenix is top rated. I can't vouch for that since I've never been there.
    Navy_Brat913
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 179
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/28 00:41:47 (permalink)
    I grew up military, and have had good pizza all over the country. In Denver, CO it was a local pizzeria. I was too little to have high expectations though, lol. In Norfolk, VA it was Godfathers Pizza (I was even younger, so don't know about that either, lol). In Groton, CT it was a variety of small non-chain pizzerias, the best was run by a greek family who made the sauce, dough and cheese themselves.

In Astoria, OR it was Papa Murphys, a Take & Bake pizza place which to this day is one of my faves. In DC I have not found a favorite, other than the one I make myself. In Ann Arbor, MI, it was a wood fired pizza at Macaroni Grill, topped with pepperoni, roasted garlic, spinach, banana peppers and fresh mozzarella.

I have honestly had only one *bad* style of pizza, and it's St Louis Style. You have to be raised on the cracker-like crust, topped with the Italian version of Velveeta (Provel) in order to even want to pay for something that is to me worse than those $.89 frozen pizzas.

Clarisse
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 6
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/28 16:31:03 (permalink)
    quote:

Just this past Friday night, I had pizza that was so good I almost cried! The restaurant is Patsy Grimaldi's. Up until Nov '07, they were only in Phoenix, but now have a restaurant in Tucson (where I went). I had heard good things about them and had their website saved in my favorites folder, thinking when I went up to Phoenix I'd try it out and then saw they opened down here! If your style of pizza is brick oven thin crust, this is THE pizza to try!! I grew up in New York and the first bite transported me home!
    Big Kahuna Kooks
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 490
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/01/31 17:54:47 (permalink)
    Hey brat...i agree a st. louis style pizza takes a little getting used to but i urge you to give it another chance. Imo's is the Dominos of the city, but they truly are great once you get acustomed to the provel.
    UncleVic
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6025
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 02:45:45 (permalink)
    In the last several weeks, It amazes me about everyone that prefers the wood or coal fired pizzas. Hey, IT'S JUST A HEAT SOURCE! It may tweak out a bit hotter then natural gas, but then again I see more and more people praise a conveyor pizza oven also. Wannabe trend setters IMHO. Give me an old fashioned Blodgett gas fired pizza oven and I'll be happy! (Not trying to set a trend, just enjoying a good brick oven pizza or sub).

jfitz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 116
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 05:40:07 (permalink)
    Here's one of those "used to be" places. La Cantina ,Paw Paw,Mi. Pizza was best combo of all we talk about: sauce,sausage,crust[lard was used] and mozzarella.Thats the way it was in 70's. I believe it is still there.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 06:00:13 (permalink)
    A woodfired stove is NOT just a heat source. Do some research...The smoke also adds flavor too....and the crust cooks with a different texture....There IS a reason for the preference...and no a conveyor belt pizza is indeed inferior...a fast food gimmick that creates an inferior pie
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 09:54:31 (permalink)
    UncleVic, I have to agree with leethebard on this based on taste tests of recent. I also think that those shops that go the length to provide a woodfired pizza experience also go further in getting the ingredients right too. I think I may try another woodfired place in the Twin Cities tonight just to see once again.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 10:30:11 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Davydd

I think it would be a presumption to think you can not get good pizza west of the Mississippi. There is not a lot of magic in making a pizza as the ingredients can be had everywhere and there are more and more wood fired pizza ovens which I do think make the best pizzas.

but you can't pipe in the NYC water, which is key in the taste of the dough.

Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 14:29:59 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

I think it would be a presumption to think you can not get good pizza west of the Mississippi. There is not a lot of magic in making a pizza as the ingredients can be had everywhere and there are more and more wood fired pizza ovens which I do think make the best pizzas.

I think that is a tired old cliche. Seriously. Maybe up until a decade ago you could rarely find a woodfired pizza shop here in fly over land. Then the best and proper ingredients became extensively known by just about anyone that wanted to do a modicum of research. The gig was up. So, yeah, it must be the water. Water is water. I could say the water I use from 400 foot deep wells in the land of sky blue waters is better than anything New York could come up with.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 15:26:21 (permalink)
    quote:

quote:
    Originally posted by Scorereader

quote:

I think that is a tired old cliche. Seriously. Maybe up until a decade ago you could rarely find a woodfired pizza shop here in fly over land. Then the best and proper ingredients became extensively known by just about anyone that wanted to do a modicum of research. The gig was up. So, yeah, it must be the water. Water is water. I could say the water I use from 400 foot deep wells in the land of sky blue waters is better than anything New York could come up with.

I never said the water in NYC was great. I said, you can't duplicate NYC pizza because of the water. That had nothing to do with the water being of high quality.

Same is true of the bagels.

You've used that tired old "fly over" cliche a bunch too. I like the mid-west. It's an interesting place to visit and experience. No need to fly over it. Lots of great small towns...big ones too. But, I don't go the the mid-west for NY Pizza. Even if I was told pizza was invented in Gary, Indiana.
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 15:34:58 (permalink)
    I think I first read it in a thread here in Roadfood.com that pizza was invented in Gary, Indiana. But I surmise since they used Lake Michigan water they lost out to New York in the history of pizza.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 15:40:20 (permalink)
    quote:

I think I first read it in a thread here in Roadfood.com that pizza was invented in Gary, Indiana. But I surmise since they used Lake Michigan water they lost out to New York in the history of pizza.

I was hoping you'd catch that reference
    brookquarry
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 280
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 16:35:18 (permalink)
    FWIW Old Forge pizza - which I first heard of on Roadfood, even though I live ony an hour and a half away-
    was a revelation to me.

From the rectangular shape (its referred to as a tray of pizza) to the unusual mixture of cheeses in the topping, to (especially) the onions baked into the dough, it is a differant (and quite tasty) experience from other east coast pizzas I've had,

if you've not tried it you are missing a truly distinctive regional style.
    leethebard
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 16:39:12 (permalink)
    NOW THAT SOUNDS INTERESTING!
    Davydd
    Sirloin
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/01 22:32:26 (permalink)
    I did check out a Neapolitan style pizza place using a wood fired oven in Wayzata, Minnesota. Photos and report are here.

http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=21832

This style of pizza is springing up across the country from what I can tell. I think it surpassed the pizzas I had over the holidays in Washington DC at Pizzeria Paradiso and 2 Amys.

http://www.roadfood.com/forums/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=24148

JHartel
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 9
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/06 21:10:13 (permalink)
    That's a cool list! Thanks for sharing.. I personally LOVE the NY pizz with thin crust, never heard of the Neaopolitan (yet)
    Slim Strummer
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 233
    RE: Pizza type by region? 2008/02/06 22:18:25 (permalink)
    That list mentioned somethint called New England Greek Style? Who knew? I will say that most of the neighborhood pizza joints here are run by Greeks. But I didn't know it was a separate style! My palate is so unsophisticated...My wife even pointed out at dinner tonight that the pie we were devouring was "greek style". I didn't question it, I just thought it was some phrase she picked up somewhere along the line--some nonsensical comment just because the joint was run by Greeks. Now I know.
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1