Pizzeria Due

Author
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
2003/08/07 12:32:42 (permalink)

Pizzeria Due

A warning to all lovers of Chicago-style pizza:

A few weeks back, I went to Pizzeria Due, where I have dined for 25 years, and found the pizza to be a major disappointment.

The cheese and spinach deep dish we ordered was mushy, lukewarm and tasteless, with low-quality cheese that reminded me of a pizza I once ate from Sam's Club. The sauce tasted like Ragu. My dining partner agreed it was lousy.

The next day, I e-mailed my experience to Pat Bruno, the food critic for the Chicago Sun-Times. He responded that this wasn't the first complaint he'd heard about the restaurant recently, and suggested that the quality has gone down due to the fact that most people who eat there now are tourists, not Chicago pizza connoisseurs like myself.

Has anyone else eaten at either Pizzeria Due or at the original Pizzeria Uno down the street lately? Let me know if your experience was similar. I should go back soon to see if maybe I just went there on an off-night.

Thanks,

Dan

12 Replies Related Threads

Hillbilly
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 992
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2003/08/07 16:24:32 (permalink)
    I ate at Pizzeria Uno (on Ohio in Chicago) Monday night, and it was as good as ever. The only problem was that 3 of us thought that we could handle a large Uno, but were only half right. Some homeless guy sitting in a Michigan Ave doorway indicated that he would enjoy what was left. Over the past 6 months I have also eaten at Uno in Indianapolis and Minneapolis and they, too, were excellent.
    Hastyman
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 83
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2003/08/07 16:28:16 (permalink)
    I ate at the Uno in Brookfield, WI a while back, and it was as horrible as Danimal described. I looked it up on the Internet, and it turns out their headquarters are in Boston now. Boston, of all places! That's like Cracker Barrel moving its headquarters to Fargo.
    danimal15
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2003/08/07 16:51:49 (permalink)
    Folks:

Just so we're all clear - the chain of Pizzeria Uno around the country has no real connection to the original here in Chicago. They just have rights to the name. I've always understood that their quality was far beneath the original restaurant and in no way comparable. So changes for the better or worse at the original restaurant here would have no bearing on the quality or lack thereof at Pizzeria Unos in other locations.

Please let me know if you've been to the original in Chicago or to its sister restaurant Pizzeria Due down the street recently and noticed any drop in quality.

Thanks,

Dan
    Julia I
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 157
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2003/08/09 09:58:35 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

Please let me know if you've been to the original in Chicago or to its sister restaurant Pizzeria Due down the street recently and noticed any drop in quality.

Thanks,

Dan

I ate at Due late last spring and was extemely disappointed. I hadn't eaten there for a while, and I thought that the quality had dropped quite a bit. Tasteless pretty much described it for me, too.
    danimal15
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/03/30 12:09:25 (permalink)
    I'm going to head back soon to Pizzeria Due to see if the quality is still off. My parents ate there not too long ago and said it was as good as ever, so maybe my disappointing visit last summer came on an off night.
    Zarathustra
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 7
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/04/29 02:05:44 (permalink)
    I ate at Due in March (2004). It was excellent and the quality was comparable to the past. BTW, the odious Boston corp. that controls Uno now not only bought the rights to the name from Ike Sewell's widow, it also owns the original Uno and Due, but has pledged not to alter the pizza at these originals. So far, they have honored their pledge. ALL other Unos -- including the branch at the O'Hare Airport International Terminal -- should be regarded with suspicion and regret.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 696
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/04/29 08:17:01 (permalink)
    hey now, contrary to popular beleif, we have some good pizza places here in boston. Just a different style.

I'll agree though that when I want deep dish, I dont think Boston. Just when I want fired clams or something from the sea, I dont think Chicago.

And Cracker Barrel moved anywhere just means that crap is moving from city to city.
    wanderingjew
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7738
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/04/29 09:44:58 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by renfrew

when I want something from the sea, I dont think Chicago.

Actually the Great Lakes area has fantastic Freshwater Fish. I always enjoy Fried Lake Erie Perch whenever I visit Cleveland and also enjoy Fried Walleye when I visit the Minneapolis- St.Paul area.
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/04/29 12:03:35 (permalink)
    I dont think of the Great Lakes as a sea either.

But I get your point and agree. So to reiterate, when i think of fired whole belly clams, lobster, bluefish etc, I dont think Chicago.
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 335
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/05/01 01:32:41 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Hastyman

I looked it up on the Internet, and it turns out their headquarters are in Boston now. Boston, of all places!

Do you know where Boston Market's headquarters are? Golden, Colorado!!!
    renfrew
    Double Cheeseburger
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/05/03 09:09:14 (permalink)
    Well since they are owned by the Golden Arches now, that is only fitting.
    danimal15
    RE: Pizzeria Due 2004/11/12 12:12:56 (permalink)
    If you go to a chain Uno restaurant and the cheese is on top rather than the tomatoes, you can be assured it's not authentic Chicago pizza. It's sad how the chain Unos' low quality gives real Chicago pizza a bad name.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1