Pizzeria Uno in Chicago

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
CETURTL
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 77
RE: Pizzeria Uno in Chicago 2006/05/19 14:37:47 (permalink)
Thanks BTB, for a great explanation of Chicago pizza. It's hard to get people to understand that "thin crust" is the predominant pizza in Chicago neighborhoods. Maybe "thick crust" originated in Chicago but it's not what we grew up on or prefer. It's more of a downtown tourist thing, whereas "thin crust" was a regular part of our diet, dlivered to the front door. There are several Mom and pop pizzarias in the neighborhoods which are good. My favorite Chain is aurelio's. The "flagship store" in Homewood IL, is definitely superior to the franchise stores (even though they are very good) at which I have eaten.
BTB
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 207
RE: Pizzeria Uno in Chicago 2006/05/24 13:29:59 (permalink)
CETURTL, you must be referring to my comments on the Real Chicago Pizza thread. You're right, it's next to impossible it seems to get people to understand that real Chicago pizza is "thin crust" pizza. And that it is very different from east coast (or outside Chicago generally) thin crust pizza. Many in these threads just pre-suppose that you just have a thin crust, sauce, topping and voila, . . . pizza and it's all the same. We know differently, don't we, but you have to experience and eat the great Chicago thin crust pizzas to know what we are talking about. I do love some of the deep dish pizzas like Lou Malnati's, but Vito and Nick's, Home Run Inn, Papa's, Ed & Joe's, etc. have great thin crust pizzas that are vastly different in flavor, texture and taste from the bread-dough based pizzas elsewhere in the country. Maybe others can help describe the difference.

ONE, repeat, . . . one style of pizza that originated in Chicago is Deep Dish Pizza. It is often very good. BUT it represents only an estimated 5% of the type of pizza that are made and sold in the Chicago area. Most (estimate 95%) of the pizzas made and sold in pizzerias in the Chicago area are it's unique (generally) style thin crust pizzas, which are great and different from east coast pizzas, many of which are great in and of themselves. I'm not in the least putting down any of the great east coast thin crust pizzas.

I've been to Aurelio's pizzeria on 175th St. in Homewood long before they moved to their "flagship store", as you call it. I remember a young Joe Aurelio working away in the kitchen to make his great, great thin crust pizzas. I know Joe is looking down at us from above and taking great pride in his pizza accomplishments. While a couple hours drive away from me here in Florida, there is an Aurelio's franchise in Naples, Florida that is very good and owned by a family from "up north". They have most of the ingredients shipped to them from Homewood and often win the best pizza award in southwest Florida each year.
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Pizzeria Uno in Chicago 2006/06/13 12:39:52 (permalink)
I'm heading to Pizzeria Due with my dad tonight. Tomorrow I'll give you all the play-by-play. I was last there in June 2003 and was so disappointed with my pizza that I asked for (and received) my money back.
danimal15
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1092
RE: Pizzeria Uno in Chicago 2006/06/14 12:26:00 (permalink)
Well, my dad and I ate at Due last night and I have to say, the pizza was pretty average. Not terrible, like that other time, but certainly not too memorable, either. The cheese quality was good, but the tomato sauce had no flavor. And the crust, while satisfyingly crunchy, didn't have that special yeasty flavor that it used to. Overall, I'd say this pizza is no better than Lou Malnati's, and certainly not worth waiting an hour for (which luckily we didn't have to but I've seen long lines on other occasions).
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4578
RE: Pizzeria Uno in Chicago 2006/06/14 12:59:46 (permalink)
quote:
Originally posted by BTB

it is very different from east coast (or outside Chicago generally) thin crust pizza.....that are vastly different in flavor, texture and taste from the bread-dough based pizzas elsewhere in the country. Maybe others can help describe the difference.

I for one would be very interested in hearing about these differences
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1