Places that have the small napkin dispensers.

Author
chewingthefat
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6186
2011/10/13 11:49:41 (permalink)

Places that have the small napkin dispensers.

As far as I know I've never eaten at a place that has the small napkin dispensers, that was worth a damn. As soon as I see them I know the owners are going CHEAP, from soup to nuts. Things will come directly from cans, served as is fromk the can, cuts of meat, cheap and small. Burgers generall 3 ozs. and mostly oatmeal, chili that tastes like Sloppy Joe, etc. etc.  Whats your take on cheap napkin places?

6 Replies Related Threads

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Places that have the small napkin dispensers. 2011/10/13 11:57:17 (permalink)
    Interesting correlation Chewy. Last night I picked up a pizza on the way home from a place that used to use those kind that you'd have to dig the napkins out. They've apparently just converted to some kind of wall mounted dispenser that holds a box of napkins that are much larger. I wonder if the quality of the food and ingredients is going to get better.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Places that have the small napkin dispensers. 2011/10/13 12:21:13 (permalink)
    I know of an exception to your theory, the Portillo's chain in Illinois. They have the most wonderful delicious, messy and gooey Italian beef sandwiches and these small thin napkins. I always have to take a 2 inch stack of them.

http://www.portillos.com/
    SeamusD
    • Total Posts : 1038
    Re:Places that have the small napkin dispensers. 2011/10/13 13:13:42 (permalink)
    There was a diner/motel in northern NY that used to have the same napkins that they'd have out on on the tables in the diner, in dispensers next to the toilets in the rooms. They didn't work very well for either purpose.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Places that have the small napkin dispensers. 2011/10/13 14:03:53 (permalink)
    kland01s

I know of an exception to your theory, the Portillo's chain in Illinois. They have the most wonderful delicious, messy and gooey Italian beef sandwiches and these small thin napkins. I always have to take a 2 inch stack of them.

I am impressed with the operation...50 tons of Italian beef a week, YEOW!!

fattybomatty
    • Total Posts : 1017
    Re:Places that have the small napkin dispensers. 2011/10/14 10:11:54 (permalink)
    I think every pizzeria I have ever been to has had those napkin dispensers and I have had some great pizza at many of these places. I think many sub shops have these as well. So I haven't seen the same correlation. I will keep my eye out for places where the napkin dispenser is an indication of bad food ;-)

Though I have noticed when I see a place using hunts ketchup over heinz the food is always of a lower quality.
    kland01s
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2835
    Re:Places that have the small napkin dispensers. 2011/10/14 10:29:29 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

kland01s

I am impressed with the operation...50 tons of Italian beef a week, YEOW!!

They have an incredibly efficient operation and even though you stand in line to order, it takes a short time because the order takers go out into the line, call in your order, write it on the bag and while you wait to pay, your order is being made. They do the same in the drive up line. Their food is all great! I was introduced to the very first Portillo's operated by Dick Portillo in the late 1960's by a friend who was a cop in the area. They just need better napkins.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1