Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be.

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
John In Seattle
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 55
2006/06/25 01:32:15 (permalink)

Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be.

They do not taste the same, and I know why:

One of the ingredients in the milk chocolate was ground peanuts – it gave their chocolate a distinctive flavor. But, sometime in the early 90’s the quit using peanuts (although the peanut M&M’s still have ground peanuts in the chocolate.)

I really miss the original flavor.

It was a time honored product that just "plain" boring now.

OK, I have vented.

46 Replies Related Threads

Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/25 02:21:50 (permalink)
    A lot of things have gone that route. I'm more carnivore than dextrophile (if that's a word?), but I no longer eat some of the processed meats I grew up liking. Spam & Vienna Sausages come to mind, but those are already addressed on other threads. They've just been "improved" too much--or maybe it's that I've begun reading labels!
    GWCS555
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 35
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/25 04:24:18 (permalink)
    Today's Fudgesicles are terrible. They used to taste like a chocolate popsicle when I was a kid. Now they're gummy, chalky, piece of frozen goo. They're smaller too.

The Scene: Two old women in a restaurant.

Old Woman: The food here is awful.

Her Friend: I know and in such small portions too.

From the movie "Annie Hall"
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 343
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/25 04:51:37 (permalink)
    I didn't know that about M&M's. I thought it was my taste buds "maturing." I did notice that on some other "old fashioned" candies and other "nostalgic" foods now contain high fructose corn syrup. Grr!

Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/25 14:20:14 (permalink)
    You're on the right track.....many products don't use sugar anymore due to the tariffs imposed on non-domestic sugar. It seems our politicians have caved in to the domestic sugar growers and prevented American manufacturers from getting market-value sugar by keeping a false cap on sugar pricing.
    Also, many products have had to include more preservatives in their ingredients, again, governmental stipulations so that the one person in a million won't get sick. The mommy state marches on.
    markolenski
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 308
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/25 15:43:05 (permalink)
    I often buy my candy in Mexico as well as Coca Cola. It always is made from cane sugar and the chocolate is much better.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/28 19:18:25 (permalink)
    I have seen an ad for white chocolate M&M's, but haven't seen them yet. Anyone know about these?
    cybele
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 74
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/29 00:09:58 (permalink)
    White chocolate M&Ms are being introduced as a Limited Edition item as a tie in to the new Pirates of the Caribbean movie.

They're called Pirate Pearls and feature white chocolate (made with cocoa butter, not hydrogenated fats) covered in pastel colored shells.

I didn't care much for them, but they might be better mixed in with other varieties to cut through the super-sweetness.
    Twinwillow
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5076
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/29 00:25:28 (permalink)
    Let's just face the facts. Nothing is as good as it used to be.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/29 02:13:50 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

Hey, hey now- after almost 15 years of marriage, my wife just gets better and better!
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/06/29 07:02:06 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by bbqjimbob

quote:
    Originally posted by twinwillow

Hey, hey now- after almost 15 years of marriage, my wife just gets better and better!

AS W.C.Fields once said, "I'd rather have two girls of 22 than one girl of 44," I'd still keep my wife, but the thought intrigues me.
    tuke
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 57
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/01 00:03:11 (permalink)
    Anybody remember the short-lived mint M&M's? They came out around the same time as all the experimental Twix flavors in the early 90s.
    bbqjimbob
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/01 01:36:42 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by tuke

Anybody remember the short-lived mint M&M's? They came out around the same time as all the experimental Twix flavors in the early 90s.

No, I don't remember those. If I have to eat an M&M (Not necessarily a bad thing), I prefer either the dark chocolate M&Ms or the Almond ones! However, having become a lover of the finer things in life (Unfortunately, this doesn't mean I can afford them- just that my palate insists on them!) within the last 2 years or so- be it chocolate (Valrhona, Schokinag, or Scharffenn Berger), coffee and espresso (I roast my own), steaks, BBQ, or even a hot dog, and especially so- a wife (My Ex vs. my current wife of 15 years), I've come to realize that for almost every item available for consumption (OK- no wife jokes here, please!), that there is the "norm"- almost inevitably a compromise, and another, better choice than the "norm". Usually, this choice involves more money, but at the same time, also involves a product so superior to the "norm", that the extra $$$ is always worth it! The old adage- you get what you pay for has never been truer! OK- am I being really intellectual here, or has that better choice of hot dogs gone to my head?!
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/02 22:27:18 (permalink)
    Yes, I remember the mint M&Ms, but I thought it came out more recently (late 90s?) as a special Christmas edition. My friend loves mint, so when it came out, she bought tons of it. Apparently, it wasn't a big seller, and after the holidays there were still bags and bags of it being discounted.
    Eric B
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 103
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/04 14:33:38 (permalink)
    OK, just found the white chocolate M&M's, and finishing them as I speak. Pretty good!
    Now, if only I can find the banana and strawberry Twinkies someone mentioned as coming out for another movie.
    Riku The Surfer
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 31
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/19 21:25:12 (permalink)
    I never did like the Chocolate M&Ms....just the good ol fashioned Peanut M&Ms. I like them near frozen where it has a really good bite to them. That's when they are the best to me.
    jvsmom
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 462
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/19 21:37:20 (permalink)
    quote:

They still come out every year at Christmas.
    danimal15
    • Total Posts : 1092
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/21 09:59:43 (permalink)
    quote:

What were the experimental Twix flavors? I love Twix bars - definitely my favorite candy bar.

M&M's still taste great to me, but I'm not an afficionado.
    whotony
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/31 09:58:39 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John In Seattle

One of the ingredients in the milk chocolate was ground peanuts – it gave their chocolate a distinctive flavor. But, sometime in the early 90’s the quit using peanuts (although the peanut M&M’s still have ground peanuts in the chocolate.)

I really miss the original flavor.

It was a time honored product that just "plain" boring now.

OK, I have vented.

was it really that long ago.
    i thopught it might have been arounfdthe time of the package change from plain to milk choc or whatever it says now.

also try the new dark chocolate version. purple bag
    seems to be close to the old plain flavor.
    there really isnt a heavy dark choc taste.
    a couple years ago when the darth vader dark choc ones had a very strong dark taste. these new ones are mild compared to those.
    stephiegirl
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 132
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/07/31 10:26:04 (permalink)
    I wondered what the Dark Chocolate M&M's tasted like, now that I know I may try them. I buy the mint ones every Christmas. I'm glad they only come out once a year, if they came out more often they wouldn't be as good, now they are like a long awaited treat. I think the experimental Twix flavors were the Cookies and Creme Twix and the PB Twix. I still see the PB ones quite a bit.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/20 03:34:22 (permalink)
    Today I finally found the white pearls M&M's. They were at Costco in a box of 30 bags assorted M&M's (plain, peanut & ****e chocolate). I will give it a try. Most of the bags will go into goodie bags for one of my kids' birthday party. Luckily, there were some extra bags that I will need to "sample"
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/20 03:35:32 (permalink)
    Oops! White! White chocolate!!
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/20 05:15:14 (permalink)
    I was an inspector for M and M's once they let me go for throwing out all the W's. Chow Jim
    CajunKing
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6393
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/20 20:00:47 (permalink)
    I love popping popcorn, then adding some m&m and peanut m&m to the popped corn. You get the sweet and salt and chocolate and crunch and oh my I think its time for some popcorn!!

btw: popped corn and mint m&m YUCK!! yes that is from experience, dark chocolate m&m's aren't too bad either
    Greyghost
    • Total Posts : 1336
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/20 21:09:08 (permalink)
    I think John in Seattle had it right to begin with. They took out the peanut component. Why would they do this? In my opinion, based only on a hunch, I think it is the legal eagle factor.

We are living in times where manufacturers are being sued for the slightest things. If your child has an allergy to peanuts and gets sick from eating plain M&Ms, guess who is going to get sued?
    4fish
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 214
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/21 21:04:29 (permalink)
    I'm fond of the M&M characters, so I've got M&M dispensers on the edge of my cubicle at work and M&M desk accessories on my desk. Right now I've got three dispensers out with peanut, plain and dark chocolate M&Ms. The peanut ones disappear first, helped along by our tech guy (yes, I'm shamelessly bribing him), then the dark chocolate. I haven't filled the plain dispenser in three weeks.
    offlady
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/08/26 15:13:34 (permalink)
    I had a bag of the white chocolate m&ms last night while watching our local football game. I have to admit, it is pretty good. The white chocolate is more delicate than the regular m&ms. They are hard to find though.
    sweetgherkin
    Hamburger
    • Total Posts : 88
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/09/07 00:10:54 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by 4fish

I'm fond of the M&M characters, so I've got M&M dispensers on the edge of my cubicle at work and M&M desk accessories on my desk. Right now I've got three dispensers out with peanut, plain and dark chocolate M&Ms. The peanut ones disappear first, helped along by our tech guy (yes, I'm shamelessly bribing him), then the dark chocolate. I haven't filled the plain dispenser in three weeks.

I have one little M&M's dispenser at my desk, and the cow-orkers get whatever I buy when it is out. Almost always Peanut or Peanut Butter. I tried Almond once and they were a little bit too big for the little dispenser. I know what you mean about the plain! I don't think they were ever good, and my cow-orkers seem to agree. I just bought a bag of the dark chocolate ones and I like them... guess we'll see how long it takes til they are gone.
    WingLover
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 145
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/09/08 15:52:55 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by danimal15

What were the experimental Twix flavors? I love Twix bars - definitely my favorite candy bar.

M&M's still taste great to me, but I'm not an afficionado.

The only flavor springing to mind is the cookies'n'cream...

~Jessica
    Dude111
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 582
    RE: Plain M&M's are not as good as they used to be. 2006/09/16 16:35:51 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by John In Seattle

Thats not it my friend..

Hello everyone i was just made aware of this site and it looks good...

M&Ms do not taste the same as they used to because IN THE YEAR 2O00 THEY WERE CHANGED TO USING SKIM MILK / MILKFAT and they taste like crap now because of it!! (They used to use regular milk which gave them MORE FLAVOR.)

The company lied to me for 1 year trying to say "We didnt change anything but the wrapper",but if you look @ the ingredients and taste them,you know they did!!!! (All thier candy tastes like crap now due to this!!)

SKIM MILK IS GARBAGE and thats why they taste bad...... I have been trying for MANY YEARS to get them to change it back......

Maybe you guys could help also

http://tinyurl.com/dnnmm

Just fill out that form with your comments about not liking the new taste!! (We all know skim milk is crap compared to regular milk) (They changed in 2000 .. Thats the only change!!)

God bless you all........Nice site!!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1