Plainville Farms Restaurant

Author
Greyghost
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1336
2006/09/25 19:38:20 (permalink)

Plainville Farms, the premier Upstate, NY turkey producer has a restaurant. I only found out about it by poking around on the web. It certainly looks interesting as well as inexpensive.

Has anyone tried this restaurant? I would appreciate input...the place is a few hours away from me and I am wondering if it is worth the drive.

4 Replies Related Threads

billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: Plainville Farms Restaurant 2006/09/25 23:12:00 (permalink)
    Hey Greyghost, I live in NYC, but my family lives in Syracuse and I've been to the Plainville Restaurant a few times. They love it, but I think its just ok. The turkey is really great, but I feel that the sides are swimming in butter and somewhat greasy. I'd prefer to butter my own food so it isn't drowning in it. The also took the pies off of the buffet and just have cookies now, but you can bujy whole pies and I think slices in their to go counter.
    Not sure if I'd drive there just for that, but Syracuse has some other good restaurants and things to do. S.U sports, Carousel Mall, Burnet Park Zoo. Also there is Dinosaur Barbecue, Heid's hotdogs, The Brooklyn Pickle, Stella's Diner (plus some others mentioned on this site). Plenty of good eats, so if you're coming to 'cuse anyway, Plainville would be good to try. The butter thing is subjective anyway.
    Scorereader
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 5566
    RE: Plainville Farms Restaurant 2006/09/26 11:35:37 (permalink)
    The turkey soup is one of the best bowls of turkey soup I've ever had. And that says alot, since my mother has been making her own turkey soup from scratch for years and years. But, it is great.

It's a good restaurant. This is exactly the kind of place that needs a roadfood write up. It's close to exit 30 off of I-81 in Cicero, NY. It's like thanksgiving every day. And everything is farm fresh.

Another local farm restaurant that I have enjoyed for years is Hafner's Restaurant and Tavern. The Hafner family owns quite a bit of property near the intersection of Buckley Rd and Taft Road in North Syracuse. Their offerings include Hafner's Red Barn - an old barn, converted into a rustic retail space that sells collectibles, antiques, cards, gifts, fresh flowers, seasonal gifts and decorations, old fashion candy, and more. Hanfer's Soft Ice-Cream. One of my alltime favorite ice cream stands (seasonal), Chuck Hafner's Farm and Garden Center - all your outdoor needs from garden to nursery, plus fresh produce and seasonal stuff. A boutique flower shop. And Jake Hafner's Retaurant and Tavern. A rustic casual atmosphere with fresh and satisfying food and a nice big fireplace to add that romantic touch. Plus the tavern is a good place to meet locals and root on local sports teams.

Hafner's Restaurant is like a local secret. Sometimes, even the regulars forget to recommend it because Syracuse is so often associated with its plethora of great Italian restaurants. But Hafner's and Plainville add the area's roots of rustic farm and fresh food to the restaurant scene.
    iI recommend both these places wholeheartedly.

One quick caution though, Plainville also offers some express take-out places in a couple area malls food court, The food is not nearly the same as the restaurant.
    billyboy
    • Total Posts : 2403
    RE: Plainville Farms Restaurant 2006/09/27 01:41:40 (permalink)
    Scorereader, my sister and brother-in-law live around the corner from Hafner's and they love it. Perhaps on my next trip there I'll bring the camera. I've gotta hit the Dinosaur again, Heids, and the Brooklyn Pickle.
    Cosmos
    • Total Posts : 1449
    RE: Plainville Farms Restaurant 2006/09/27 17:35:41 (permalink)
    By the way... Hit the Dino on Tuesday for lunch and they serve smoked Plainville turkey breast sandwiches....

Never eaten at the Plainville restaurant but have cooked their fresh turkeys...very good quality.
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1