The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider

Plainville (NY) Turkey Farm sold to food company

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
Plainville (NY) Turkey Farm sold to food company Thu, 08/30/07 1:41 PM (permalink)
Plainville Turkey Farm sold to food company
Posted by Tim Knauss August 29, 2007 8:31PM
Categories: Breaking News, Business News, West Suburbs

Plainville Turkey Farm, a family-run business for six generations, has been sold to a company affiliated with international food company Hain Celestial Group.

After doubling its sales in the past four years to $40 million, and with opportunities for similar growth ahead, the company has simply gotten too big to be a family operation, said Mark Bitz, the sixth member of the Bitz and Ward families to run the business.

"The capital requirements have been really heavy duty," Bitz said. "It isn't a business any more that you just say to your children, 'Here it is, see what you can do with it.' ''

The Bitz family sold the farm to Plainville Farms LLC, a subsidiary of Hain Pure Protein Corp., which is a joint venture between the publicly traded Hain Celestial Group and a private equity firm, Pegasus Capital Advisors.

The price was not disclosed.

The Bitz family will continue to own the Plainville Farms Restaurant, the name of which will change to Plainville's Nature's Fare. The family also will retain its ownership of Central New York Crops and Central New York Feeds.

For more on this story, see staff writer Tim Knauss' report Thursday

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
    RE: Plainville (NY) Turkey Farm sold to food company Tue, 09/11/07 8:10 PM (permalink)
    IF you ever tasted a Plainville Turkey and a Butterball, you'd understand why NYers are upset that they sold. But Mark Bitz has been threatening that he'll sell (trying to get tax breaks from NY) for years.
    The 40 million in sales is misleading, since the increase had to do with a recall of Butterball turkeys. Plainville made a killing.
    Nevertheless, it's hard to believe the quality will remain high under the new management.

This Fall may be my last trip to the restaurant in Cicero.

Greymo

• Total Posts: 3663
      RE: Plainville (NY) Turkey Farm sold to food company Tue, 09/11/07 8:26 PM (permalink)
      When I lived in central NY, Plainville Turkeys were always on our Thanksgiving table. No one, who has not had one, can believe how wonderfully clean and delicious that they were. I would take one out of the wrapper and put it in cold water to wash and the water would be spotless.

I also loved their retail store with all the quality products. They called me when they were first opening their restaurant, to ask me about a prospective employee that applied for the position of restaurant manager. He was hired and was manager there for a couple of years. He then moved on.

My daughter in law's brothers earned money for college by working for the Plainville Turkey Farm. I will always have great memories of this place and the family.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
        • No New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
        • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
        • Locked w/ New Messages
        • Locked w/o New Messages
        • Read Message
        • Post New Thread
        • Reply to message
        • Post New Poll
        • Submit Vote
        • Post reward post
        • Delete my own posts
        • Delete my own threads
        • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
        What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com