The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Plantain Chips (plantanos)

Adjudicator

• Total Posts: 5057
Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sun, 07/18/04 11:43 AM (permalink)
In need of a fix. Can't find in my area (south southern GA). Can anyone help Found by accident, one bag, I repeat, one bag, in a Winn-Dixie market some 40 miles from my abode several weeks ago. One bag, & it was in the Mexican (??) section of the market. I am not interested in scoring a kilo or so, etc., but just wanting to know where I can obtain several ounces a week.
Any help out there from U folk's in FL, etc.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
    RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sun, 07/18/04 2:39 PM (permalink)
    You've got to find a latino market, if necessary by driving south. This is latino soul food. Yes, Mexican markets should have them. Also, of course, Cuban, Puerto Rican and so on. I checked a few online sites such as http://www.latingrocer.com/ and, as expected, they sell bagged plantanos but not raw plantains (they'd probably get mashed in transport and the shipping cost would be prohibitive).

You could also check the on-line yellow pages for latin grocers in towns within driving distance of you, most likely down toward the Gulf coast.

And if you do order some, be careful that you get the kind you want. They are sold and eaten in all stages of ripeness but the different ripenesses are used for different recipes. For chips, you probably want them fairly ripe (yellow/black, not green).

Good luck! Where I live, it's just a matter of walking a couple blocks to a Mexican market.

BT

• Total Posts: 3589
      RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sun, 07/18/04 2:43 PM (permalink)
      quote:
      Originally posted by BT

You've got to find a latino market, if necessary by driving south. This is latino soul food. Yes, Mexican markets should have them. Also, of course, Cuban, Puerto Rican and so on. I checked a few online sites such as http://www.latingrocer.com/ and, as expected, they sell bagged plantanos but not raw plantains (they'd probably get mashed in transport and the shipping cost would be prohibitive).

You could also check the on-line yellow pages for latin grocers in towns within driving distance of you, most likely down toward the Gulf coast.

And if you do order some, be careful that you get the kind you want. They are sold and eaten in all stages of ripeness but the different ripenesses are used for different recipes. For chips, you probably want them fairly ripe (yellow/black, not green).

Good luck! Where I live, it's just a matter of walking a couple blocks to a Mexican market.

Hmmm. I just reread your post. Maybe what you want IS pre-cooked chips. In which case, go to http://store.yahoo.com/mex-grocer/5321.html , 8 oz $2.75.

Bushie

• Total Posts: 2902
        RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sun, 07/18/04 8:12 PM (permalink)
        Judge, make your own. Surely you can buy fresh plaintains down there in GA. Slice them thin and fry in peanut oil, then sprinkle with plenty of salt. Make your own aioii to dip in, or just eat them plain; warm and yummy.

You'll never crave another bag of store-bought chips again.

speechpeach

• Total Posts: 239
          RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Tue, 07/20/04 1:35 PM (permalink)
          I saw some last week in Big Lots...I like to peruse their aisles, since they sometimes have interesting foods and condiments for great prices....

Adjudicator

RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Fri, 08/20/04 9:06 PM (permalink)
            Found my "fix". Publix in Tallahassee, FL. Brother lives there; he brings me five-six "bags" per week. I have a one bag per day habit, BTW. Whew....
            Thought I might have had to gone postal there, for a while...

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
              RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Fri, 08/20/04 9:38 PM (permalink)
              I love em! satifies that crunch fix!

Adjudicator

RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sat, 08/21/04 11:11 AM (permalink)
                Speaking of hard to find things...... I have looked all morning to find an air filter for my '00 Miata. This town of mine has nothing!!!!!

Even decent roadfood is over an hour's drive away... Sheeesh...

love2bake

• Total Posts: 1281
                  RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sat, 06/8/13 7:02 PM (permalink)
                  Mmmmmm--I'm almost 10 years late to this party, but better late than never!  Just found these in a nearby Mexican/Latin American grocery store, and can see how addictive they are.  Dayam--I have enough food vices already!

DawnT

• Total Posts: 1286
                    RE: Plantain Chips (plantanos) Sun, 06/9/13 4:17 AM (permalink)
                    How would you like to have them made fresh and delivered to your table piping hot out of the oil? Several restaurants in my area have special rotary cutters mounted over a deep fryer that slices the chichachirritas directly into the oil from a peeled green plantain. Every store including the major chains like Publix and Winn Dixie must carry a couple of dozen different brands, cuts, and flavors of plantain chips. My grand nieces in TN are crazy about them, so we usually send up a care package of the garlic flavored ones every couple of months. When I lived in TN and commuted back and forth from Miami, I'd load up with them and many other foodstuffs that you couldn't find up there. Most folks that tried them, absolutely loved them. I can't figure why some of the companies that do their own transport down here don't load up on them. They would be an instant hit in most other areas of the states outside of hispanic areas from the way I've seen people take to them that otherwise wouldn't eat potato chips or bagged snacks.

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com