The most memorable local eateries along the highways and back roads of America
Sign In | Register for Free!
Restaurants Recipes Forums EatingTours Merchandise FAQ Maps Insider
Forum Themes:
Welcome !

Planters Dry Roasted Cashews

notchit

• Total Posts: 9
Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Wed, 10/5/05 11:56 AM (permalink)
Anyone remember those? I used to eat them all the time.
A few year ago they just vanished from store shelves.
I wrote Planters, and they told me they were discontinued.

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
    RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Wed, 10/5/05 9:02 PM (permalink)
    It's a global cashew shortage. Most of the world’s supply of cashews is harvested in India. Now that Indians prefer to do computer programming and take other jobs outsourced from the United States, cashew cultivation has dropped dramatically.

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
      RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Thu, 10/6/05 11:34 AM (permalink)
      I hope you're kidding.

berndog

• Total Posts: 674
        RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Thu, 10/6/05 11:58 AM (permalink)
        I found this information on a Google search:

"Eventually, India grew their own cashew tree and the Kerala State (India) Cashew Association is now the largest exporter of cashews in the world. Forteleza, Brazil, ships the second largest quantity of cashews and the two areas represent over 80 percent of the world supply which is around 4 million cases (50 pounds per case). Africa is a distant third. The India crop harvests in May and the Brazilian crop harvests in October."

Regardless of the growth of computer programming, information technology, and call centers in India, the people who staff those industries have advanced education and skill sets. There is still a huge, rural, impoverished population of workers in India who need the work of picking cashews. I doubt this has anything to due with labor shortages.

Jennifer_4

• Total Posts: 1508
          RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Thu, 10/6/05 12:09 PM (permalink)
          When I was a child, my favorite treat was cashews.. instead of candy, I'd often request a bag or two of cashews. Many years later, when I was 30, I walked into a convenience store for some cashews.. after eating them my gums hurt and my tongue felt fuzzy..thought I'd gotten a bad bag.. so I tried another brand..same thing..uh oh... I then tried some cookies and ice cream with cashews...same problem... apparently I'd suddenly become mildly allergic to my favorite nut.. I avoided them but wasn't terribly concerned about what seemed like a minor allergic reaction. Then last year I thought, that's it, I'm not going to give up cashews, I'll just "overcome" my minor allergy by eating them enough to have my body become used to them again.. so one night I started eating them.. got to about number 3 before I thought I'd stop and see what happened.. same thing.. painful gums..fuzzy tongue.. then fuzzy throat..suddenly I felt all chokey and started coughing.. kept feeling like I had a frog in my throat I couldn't shake.. after a bit I found I couldn't speak.. now a smart person would have had one of the kids call 911.. but me being a stubborn thing was thinking "NO, you are NOT going into anaphalactyc shock..you're not going to die from something stupid like eating cashews"..and I didn't want to alarm the children unnecessarily... I decided if it became worse I'd signal the kids.. but it didn't.. took several hours for the effects to wear off..and I was unable to speak for most of the night..
          Lesson learned.. no more cashews..

Scorereader

• Total Posts: 5546
            RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Thu, 10/6/05 3:45 PM (permalink)
            Berndog, I'm with you.
            When I said, "I hope you're kidding,"
            what I was meaning was, "you've got to be kidding," sort of like, "I hope you're kidding...otherwise, you're out of your mind."
            (I'm guessing, he was kidding...lie tongue in cheek)
            I have no fear that the cashew is in shortage.

Jennifer 4, the cashew is in the same family as poison ivy, sumac, etc. Even though roasting gets rid of the poisonous oil from the cashews shell, it's still possible to be highly allergic to the nut's own oil that comes out during the roasting process.

I'm glad you made it through that ordeal okay.

Sandy Eggo

• Total Posts: 226
              RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Thu, 10/6/05 11:31 PM (permalink)
              I was kidding... gotta add a little controversy. There isn't a shortage. Planters has plenty of cashews, they just don't sell "dry roasted" cashews anymore, just peanuts.

mr chips

• Total Posts: 4715
                RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Tue, 10/11/05 12:21 AM (permalink)
                I miss the cashews.

notchit

RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Tue, 10/11/05 5:39 PM (permalink)
                  The only dry roasted cashews in a jar, that I can get in my area are ShopRite's "store brand". Not quite the same as the Planters, but the closest I can find.

notchit

RE: Planters Dry Roasted Cashews Mon, 10/22/07 11:01 AM (permalink)
                    They're baaaaack!

Was in A&P yesterday, and in the nut isle I saw "New Planters dry roasted cashews"!

Bought a jar, and they are the same as they've alway been. (which is good)

Online Bookmarks Sharing: Share/Bookmark

Jump to:

Current active users

There are 0 members and 1 guests.

Icon Legend and Permission

• New Messages
                      • No New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/ New Messages
                      • Hot Topic w/o New Messages
                      • Locked w/ New Messages
                      • Locked w/o New Messages
                      • Read Message
                      • Post New Thread
                      • Reply to message
                      • Post New Poll
                      • Submit Vote
                      • Post reward post
                      • Delete my own posts
                      • Delete my own threads
                      • Rate post

2000-2014 ASPPlayground.NET Forum Version 3.9
                      What is Roadfood?  |   Privacy Policy  |   Contact Roadfood.com   Copyright 2011 - Roadfood.com