Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
jman
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1364
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/06/19 06:06:27 (permalink)
I support the concept of having a board free of contentious posts and hope that the rules will always be enforced equally and that should extend to all of us, including admins and moderators. That hasn't always been the case. Sometimes here, it seems, some of us are more equal than others.
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3160
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/06/19 09:45:15 (permalink)
Amen jman, amen.
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/06/20 10:52:19 (permalink)
Aw geez, I missed it. Oh well.
mr chips
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4727
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/06/21 22:45:28 (permalink)
Actually I missed all the fuss. I just would like us to get along and talk about good food

bartl
  • Total Posts : 1329
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/05 13:52:09 (permalink)
One new way to get banned (or should be banned). The spammers have a new tactic; they are using keywords to find material elsewhere on the web, and then grabbing pieces of them to make what look vaguely like replies. It takes a couple of minutes to double check on the web; should I flag these individually, or is there some better way to report a mulch-plagiarizer?

The most recent culprit is Harshada; I flagged several of his messages that I was able to almost instantly determined were lifted from other sources.

Bart
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8490
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/05 14:47:41 (permalink)
My computer got hacked as a result of me clicking on a link from this site. Blaming me, not roadfood. I think what I did was checking out one of the kitchen sites out of curiousity. Bob fixed the problem, but reminded me about cats, and their curiousity, etc.....Anyway, love this site, its my food bible. And good friendships have been formed.
jackd418
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 49
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/05 16:08:11 (permalink)
As a whatever burger(I don't look at my status)I never try to offend anyone.If I ever do just let me know.I love food,isn't that why we are here?
I still want that heart attack plate that JRPfeff showed me on when does steak become a roast.I have a ambulance standing by.lol
post edited by jackd418 - 2013/07/05 16:18:48
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4200
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/05 17:27:54 (permalink)
jman

I support the concept of having a board free of contentious posts and hope that the rules will always be enforced equally and that should extend to all of us, including admins and moderators. That hasn't always been the case. Sometimes here, it seems, some of us are more equal than others.

Tru-dat.
KurtSara
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 183
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/07 10:17:19 (permalink)
MetroplexJim

jman

Tru-dat.

another word I have to search what it means, I like when it is all in English.
bartl
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/07 10:31:01 (permalink)
I know that there is a "rules, please read" post, and most new posters are clearly interested in the conversations, but, outside the pure spammers, there is occasionally someone who comes here for the sole purpose of pushing their own business, and who leaves a bunch of meaningless one liners for the sole purpose of becoming able to post links and pics to their business. I'm wondering if there should be an additional message, a nice, short, "message to new posters", which would include something like, "If you own a business, we understand that you would like to plug it. However, we consider the forums to be a two-way street; you need to add to the conversations before you take advantage of them to build up business. In general, while they are not forbidden, we do not consider simple messages of assent or simple questions without explanation of why you're asking to be adding to conversations."

Bart
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/07 18:22:20 (permalink)
KurtSara

MetroplexJim

jman

Tru-dat.

Ummmm that was ALL in ENGLISH??
ken8038
  • Total Posts : 1601
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 14:52:39 (permalink)
Somehow I missed all the brouhaha, but just reading thru this thread and another on in the Misc. forum, it seems that a few different types of offenders are being lumped together.

There's the spammers and the posters who mostly just post to cause trouble. Get rid of em!!! Any way the moderators can, and thanks for doing it.

But it also seems that several (three? eight?, hard to tell, I missed the first several episodes of the current season...) long-time valuable posters have also been banned, and I for one am missing thier valuable input. (I always ignored thier non-valuable input). Can't those people be given a sort of  "favorite cantankerous Uncle" status and be allowed back? I don't think anyone who has been a long time member of Roadfood is really happy they are gone.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18652
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 15:06:12 (permalink)
ken8038 

I don't think anyone who has been a long time member of Roadfood is really happy they are gone.

Oh, I can think of one.
CajunKing
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6449
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 16:44:01 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

ken8038 

I don't think anyone who has been a long time member of Roadfood is really happy they are gone.

Oh, I can think of one.

The Travelin Man
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3759
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 17:14:52 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

ken8038 

Oh, I can think of one.

I can think of more than one.
Sundancer7
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 13522
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 17:36:55 (permalink)
Quite frankly there are many of us.  It is true that over the years some has left and many have stayed for many reasons.  Those that continue to improve the site really help contribute and provide excellent examples for others.  It takes many different personalities for any site or company to be successful.  Successful sites have many contributors and the diversity of these folks make Roadfood.

It is easy to be a quitter.  All you have to do is quit but if you truly have a interest, you continue.  Sometimes some  become irritated as some poorly thought out post or thread or some comment by some.  I sorta guess if you have thin skin, you can be irritated on any forum as those type live among us and always will.

As a moderator and I am on my 13th year and believe me, all mods cannot have thin skins.  Believe it or not,  there has been numerous threats, awful emails and other nasty stuff.  If we did not have a interest in Roadfood, the simple route would be to quit.  Personally I never quit and I never have.  I hope all of you who read this feel the same way and I sincerely hope that all of you continually to contribute.

I wish I could name all the folks who continually contribute to Roadfood.  They are so numerous that I would be remiss if I tried to name some and miss many.  Thanks to all of you.

Paul E. Smith
Knoxville, TN
mayor al
Fire Safety Admin
  • Total Posts : 15303
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 17:57:24 (permalink)
Interest in the forums rise and fall for many reasons, and folks come and go, or hang around for the social exchanges we seem to enjoy here.
  All of us from the newest to an old guy like Paul (he IS 6 months older than me) find our interest are met pretty well on this site. Whether you just want a recommendation for a place to eat, or like to follow some of the major travelers like BuffetBuster and WJ and TTM to name just a few, lots of great folks participate here.
  However as I am sure each of you can  identify, not everyone matches well with everyone else, and sometimes the friction of personalities spills over onto the forums here.  We can but hope that when there is a conflict, that the folks involved will recognize the need to move to private channels of communication to resolve the issues, if possible.  In some other cases folks have dropped out of the group over these conflicts, and others have--at times-- decided to try to garner support for their version of the conflict  by posting their grievances.

Hopefully the place will calm down soon, and those who are reaffirmed can continue to post their info without the conflicts that seemed to blow up recently
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4200
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 19:14:52 (permalink)
KurtSara

MetroplexJim

jman

Tru-dat.

"New School" = Tru-dat.
"Old School" = That is true.

Just trying to keep up with these wonderful times!
Mosca
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 2983
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 21:01:41 (permalink)
Roadfood will survive the loss of some good posters. It always has. It always will.
Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5092
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/17 23:10:22 (permalink)
Sometimes I wonder if the "Total Posts" numbers might intimidate a newbie wanting to place their first post? Not that I would want to change that feature. I know we've always tried to welcome honest first timers.
bartl
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/18 15:21:53 (permalink)
I propose a term for people who are coming on putting in a bunch of meaningless posts to up their count and are clearly just here to hawk a business or send people to a malware site: XX's. For those who have been following this, the reason should be obvious.

Bart
TJ Jackson
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4596
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/18 15:35:33 (permalink)
We give them two kisses?
scrumptiouschef
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 697
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/21 16:57:07 (permalink)
Whatever happened to Littleman?
Russ Jackson
  • Total Posts : 2257
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/21 18:26:09 (permalink)
This site is still a great resource for places to eat. Only problem is most information is 3 plus years old. It needs some life brought back into it. When longtime members leave or get banned its not good. They were once great members that should have been talked to in private by Michael Stern prior to being banned. Maybe he did. I have never heard anyone ask for help or suggestions regarding this site. The internet has changed as have blogs and forums. This one always seems to just plod along like an outdated menu....Russ
bartl
Re:Please Don't Get Banned From the Forums 2013/07/22 12:43:54 (permalink)
Russ Jackson They were once great members that should have been talked to in private by Michael Stern prior to being banned. Maybe he did. I have never heard anyone ask for help or suggestions regarding this site. The internet has changed as have blogs and forums.

The group rules state that moderators are supposed to contact the poster personally (or try to) before banning them to see if the problem can get fixed. I see no evidence that this is not the case, and the behavior of the moderators in general make me believe that it is the case.

In addition, I want to point out that with "up to the minute" sites like Facebook and Twitter, you lose the older information very quickly, even if it's still relevant.
Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1