Please ID a Breakfast Sausage

Author
Born in OKC
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
2005/08/21 14:53:51 (permalink)

Please ID a Breakfast Sausage

There is a variety of breakfast sausage, patties, but with a smoked flavor. Cracker Barrel has a good version of it. One of our local grocers (Kroger or Publix in the Atlanta GA area) used to have a similar product, but no more.

Smoked link sausage stripped of the skin is not the same. The texture would be different and the smoke flavor probably more pronounced.

Can anyone me the name of a grocer in my area who carries such a product and the name of the maker? Or anywhere else for that matter, if I should find myself on a roadtrip? Is there a technical name or commonly accepted name for this style of sausage?

14 Replies Related Threads

Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 16:01:20 (permalink)
    Born,
    You've got me stumped. I live in Athens, Georgia, so our local stores should have something like it, if not the product itself.
    Why don't you try either the I. G. A. on Moreland Avenue, S/E in East Atlanta or the I. G. A. on Clairmont Road in North Decatur? Those two and a few other independent grocers often have some of the more uncommonly-seen things. Wayfield Foods might also carry it, or at least know what you're looking for.
    Good luck, and if you find the answer, please post it here: I'd like to try it.
    Electronically Linked, Ort. Carlton in 30601-land.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 333
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 17:07:08 (permalink)
    Are you talking about "ham sausage"? It is made by Smithfield. It tastes a bit like ham and sausage together.
    BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 17:18:11 (permalink)
    Sorry, I just realized you said patties. The sausage I am thinking about comes in a 1 lb roll. I will have to look in my travel log to tell you where we found it. It once was all over the place, but we had to hunt for it the last time we were there.
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 18:42:10 (permalink)
    Some one sent me a link for Broadbenthams.com they have what your looking for Chow and Good luck Jim
    Rick F.
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 19:05:47 (permalink)
    [url='http://www.crackerbarrel.com/contact-general.cfm'This[/url] might be the best way to find it.

Here's their description, but it sounds more like link sausage:

"Smoked Sausage – A delicately smoked sausage using all of the hams, loins, tenderloins, bacon and shoulders, blended with all natural spices. Processed by a family owned business in north central Kentucky."
    Jimeats
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3175
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 19:34:12 (permalink)
    Rick I'm somewhat computer illererate how do you do those web links Thanks for your help
    Rick F.
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 21:37:10 (permalink)
    Try this link: http://www.roadfood.com/Forums/faq.asp#hyperlink. What I do is open it in a separate window, copy the one I like, edit it to fit what I want to say, and paste into the reply window.
    Ort. Carlton.
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3589
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/21 22:48:29 (permalink)
    Born,
    North Central Kentucky? Then it's probably made by Purnell Sausage Co. in Simpsonville, Ky., over east of Louisville. Their "Old Folks" sausage is famous in these parts. And they do indeed have a "cured smoke" flavor.
    You can find their address on the internet easily enough. Good luck. I hope this is what you were searching for.
    Hungrily, Ort. Carlton in Unsmoky Athens, Georgia.
    Born in OKC
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 428
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/22 06:56:06 (permalink)
    Thanks to all for the replies.

BarbaraCt = The "ham sausage" name you gave is descriptive. The product I remember is like a breakfast sausage with a little ground smoked ham added, or at least what I think the result would be. I have seen it in rolls or chubs at the grocer where it might have been a Smithfield product. I have bought a similar product at Cracker Barrel and been vended both divided patties or in bulk (which was not a roll). From any of these packages, it cooks to a looser texture than a link, a forcemeat, stripped out of the casing.

Jimeats & Rick F. - The Broadbent's "Smoked Country Sausage" does sound like the same type product.

Ort. Carlton - I'd never heard of Pernell's before, but it sounds like something good to try and I'll try to remember if I ever get close to Louiville again. And I had not thought of IGA in a while but will look for those you mentioned. I'll check Ingles also.

BarbaraCt
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/22 08:26:49 (permalink)
    Dear "Born", I think it is an Ingles where we got our last batch. We were on 400 heading north from the "perimeter" in Atlanta, and about 5 or 6 exits up. We were on our way from Atlanta to the Prime outlets on 400, saw a fast food outlet and grocery store, and that was where it was. Good luck hunting. I think you will like this sausage. We like it so much, that we have ordered it by mail, and it is expensive to ship. We always bring a cooler with us when we vacation in Maryland, because that is about as far north as it can be found.
    Rick F.
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/22 09:46:18 (permalink)
    Q: Do y'all perchance provide sausage to Cracker Barrel? Theirs tastes like yours.

A: Mr. Flynn,
    Thank you for your email. The smoke sausage and turkey sausage that Cracker Barrel serves is made by Purnell Sausage Company. I hope you enjoy it and I hope you tell everyone "It's gooo-od"!!

Thanks,

Rose Wise
    Purnell Sausage Company
    dreamzpainter
    • Total Posts : 1609
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/23 15:27:50 (permalink)
    The local superwally has packages of frozen sausage patties that are almost hamburger diameter. I haven't noticed if they have smoked but I like the hot variaty. They also have frozen biscuts to fit and while not as good as homemade they are quite good and since you can make just one or 3 the conveniance makes them a freezer stocker, combined with the sausage and a slice of cheese, brunch (or a midnite snack) is ready in 15 minutes...
    cowboy bob 2
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 101
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/23 22:37:02 (permalink)
    WOW I must be one of the luckest people alive. I can get sausage patties, Sabretts, Hebrew national dogs. Some of the best tasting foods around. My customers like the ft long 1/4 lb dogs I get at Costco. Here is my cooking secret for cooking the inside of this thick and long dog. I first nuke it for 30 seconds and then put it in my Fryer for 2 minutes and it is done from cold to servinge in less than 3 minutes. And my customers never know the difference and the great taste this dog has comes through thourghally (sp) and is hot inside too.
    I have a lot of trade tricks that I use and my customers love the speed of service without sacrificing quality.
    CBB
    Rick F.
    RE: Please ID a Breakfast Sausage 2005/08/24 04:19:44 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by cowboy bob 2

WOW I must be one of the luckest people alive. I have a lot of trade tricks that I use and my customers love the speed of service without sacrificing quality.
    CBB
    A lot of "trade tricks" are simply attempts to cut corners without letting customers know. But what you describe isn't, to my way of thinking, a trick at all. It's a way to maintain quality while finding new ways to remain competitive. Seems to me that's a necessity!
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1