Please help me remember this snack food..

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Author
roknjohn
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 6
2003/12/04 16:06:43 (permalink)

Please help me remember this snack food..

Hello,

I've been struggling with this in my head for sometime now, and maybe you guys can help me. I remember a snack food that I had as a child - though I can't remember its name or who made it. I sure haven't seen it in the stores around here for a long time.

Let's see... I'm 38 now, so this was probably about 25-30 years ago. To describe the food, it was kinda like a potato chip or corn chip. Even though my memory is rather vague, I can still remember their taste and smell.

The "chips" were about the color of Munchos, a pale yellow. The shape was more like a Frito's corn chip, but thicker and with smooth rounded edges. They had a slightly convex shape that reminded me of a "rolled tongue", if you know what I mean.

They were lighter in weight than a corn chip and not as oily. I think that must have been baked. I can't remember if they came in a box or bag. My memory keeps playing tricks on me.

Try to picture this... Stack 3 or 4 Pringles chips together. Now, round over the edges with sandpaper, and shrink them down to about 1/2 or 1/3 size. I know that sounds crazy, but it's the best that I could come up with. <grin>

Anyways, if any of this rings a bell with one of you, please let me know.

Thanks.

57 Replies Related Threads

RubyRose
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/04 17:16:28 (permalink)
    Did they look sort of like wavy little coolie hats but rounded at the top? If so, I have a vague recollection of them.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 290
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/04 22:20:49 (permalink)
    I do remember those little round chips but can't for the life of me recall the name.I think they came out of a box and were sort of like bugles. My sis knows every chip/snack ever made-I'll ask her.I loved those roundies too.
    Grampy
    • Total Posts : 1559
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/04 23:00:14 (permalink)
    Sounds like you are on to something. We all know them but cannot remember them. Let's call them "Freudians" for the Jung at heart.
    Rick F.
    • Total Posts : 1736
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/05 00:04:31 (permalink)
    There really was, maybe still is, a snack named "Bugles." Baked corn crisps, I think.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/05 08:43:28 (permalink)
    About the time the "Bugles" were popular, they also had a snacks called "Buttons" and "Bows". Could you be thinking of the "Buttons"?
    Spudnut
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 655
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/05 08:59:08 (permalink)
    It's funny...I too thought "Bugles" when I read the description, although I recall the shape a little differently.
    roknjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/05 11:50:48 (permalink)
    Thanks for all of the responses!!

No, there are not Bugles. I eat those all the time. They are my Mom's favorite. :-) Buttons or Bows doesn't sound right, either. I can't say I remember those snacks, but I wouldn't characterize the shape as either of those. I have a 3D modeling program. Perhaps, I'll try to draw the shape and post a link to it.

I'm from South Carolina.

Keep thinking.. <grin>
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/08 09:11:59 (permalink)
    Okay,how about crisp 'ums? Or maybe snack'ums? I'm thinking crisp'ums but can't "see the box or bag. I'm so glad that other people fixate on this sort of thing--it can keep you up late!
    Roy
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 131
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/08 12:02:15 (permalink)
    Try going to this link. It has a list of snack crackers, cookies,etc that no longer exist. Long list...maybe something will ring a bell.
    www.hometownfavorites.com/shop/btwgb.asp
    RubyRose
    • Total Posts : 2189
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/08 13:52:36 (permalink)
    Could you be thinking of of Dippy Canoes, which were made by Quaker in the 60's? They came in the same kind of cardboard tube container as Quaker Oats but red, fatter and with an Indian on it.
    lamertz
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/08 22:55:31 (permalink)
    That is one awesome list. Who knew--no Hubba Bubba Bubblegum.No Green Goddess Dressing.Great reference but what about that little circular cracker/chip?
    roknjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2003/12/09 10:25:23 (permalink)
    Thanks again for everyone's participation. I honestly thought that I would recognize the name right away if someone mentioned it - but after reading that list and everyone's suggestions, I'm starting to doubt myself. I searched for "Dippy Canoes" and came up with this link that has a picture of them.

http://members.cox.net/goofygrape3/collection/supermarket/food/food.htm

http://www.anzwers.org/free/lisacafe/60sproducts.html

Unfortunately, those aren't them. I couldn't find a picture of the Chippos. That name is a possibility.

I'm still gonna try to model the shape so everyone knows what I'm talking about. One thing: they are not round, but more like elongated ovals - about 1-1/2" long, 1/2" wide and about an 1/8" thick. The edges are rounded over, i.e. there were no sharp edges.
    They have a slight curve such that if you sat one on a table, either end would be slightly up off of the table. The top side (in this senario) is also slightly concave - dished or hallowed running from tip to tip (in addition to the upward curve).

Is anyone here from New York? I believe they have a Supermarket Museum there.
    Marianne
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 1
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/19 20:46:54 (permalink)
    I think the snack you are remembering is Daisies. They were introduced by General Mills in the late 1960s as part of a trio of new products. The others were Bugles, which everyone remembers and which are still available today, and Whistles, which were a like a short tube of Cheeto-like material, baked version. Daisies were very light, almost melted when you put them in your mouth, and had softly scalloped edges. They were a cupped shape as described.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/20 00:02:22 (permalink)
    I remember something similar to what you have described, but don't really remember the name either. Looking at the Hometown Favorite list, the one that comes to mind is Keebler Munchems. They had a lot of air in them. I definitely remember them coming in a cellophane bag.
    marcbla
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 139
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/21 12:18:33 (permalink)
    where they called chipsters?
    roknjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/21 15:16:03 (permalink)
    Chipsters! Now that name sounds like a winner. I'll have to do a little research to see if I can find a picture or description on the net.

I'll let you all know if I find anything.
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/21 15:30:10 (permalink)
    I just found out that "Chipsters" now known as "Cipster" is only available in Italy now. You are SUPPOSED to be able to go to: www.cipster.com to read more. I haven't tried it yet so I hope it works!
    roknjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/21 15:39:37 (permalink)
    Hometown Favorites had them listed by Nabisco.

I found this description at http://solo23.abac.com/billrobert/EOG/EOG9Story10.html
    quote:
    Lay's Crisps remind me an awful lot of a long-forgotten snack food called "Chipsters". Chipsters were curly little snacky things made from a potato base with a texture somewhere between Munchos and Andy Capp's Pub Fries. And even though Chipsters were firmer and thicker than these Crisps, the comparison is just asking to be made.

And here's a discussion about them from http://www.unc.edu/usr-bin/cseppan/board.html

quote:
    I LOVED Chipsters as a kid. I found them in Italy in 1994, freaked out and ate them my entire trip. There is a website: www.cipster.com that explains what happened to this awesome snack. The official name in Italy is Cipster. -- Jill

Im from SC and I remember chipsters too. Hope somebody can find out who made them. I seem to remember that they were made by the same company that made Mr. Salty pretezels but I could be mistaken.
    -- Cheryl

We too are craving some of those chipsters. We will stay in contact with this website. Thanks -- Steve & Kelly

We always ate chipsters every christmas eve with oyster stew. They were a cross between potato chips and styrofoam but they tasted GREAT!!! I to have been looking for them but cannot find them anywhere. -- Brenda

I too remember Chipsters. I have e-mailed Nabisco, Frito-lay, and General Foods, and all of them seem to not remember. They were potato chip flavored things, that came in a box, like Bugles do. Someone, please help. I long for that great taste of Chipsters!! -- Jan

Does anyone remember "Chipsters" from the late 70s early 80s? If so, do you know if there is any way to get them still?? I have a friend that really liked them as a child, and I want to be able to get them for him again! -- Lesley

I think these are them!! The Italian version can be found at [url]www.cipster.com[/url]. It even has a picture of the box. Does anybody here live in Italy?

THANKS ALOT EVERYBODY!! Especially you, marcbla!!
    amelia
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 17
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/21 15:45:16 (permalink)
    I really have no idea but it sounds good. It reminds me of platano chips. Mm.
    signman
    • Total Posts : 1743
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/01/21 17:38:18 (permalink)
    They definitely reminded me of styrofoam.
    roknjohn
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/03/07 19:01:54 (permalink)
    Well, here they are! Someone posted this link to a picture of the box on another forum. I thought that I'd pass it along for those of you that were interested.

http://www.theimaginaryworld.com/crk09.jpg

Thanks again to all of you!!
    Bender
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 12
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/05/05 17:19:39 (permalink)
    They sound like Cipsters to me. I used to eat them when I lived in Italy. I have gone nuts trying to find them here in the USA.
    Ironically I was searching for them on google and came apon this site..
    Were they by chance in red boxes or small red packets? Those are the only two packages i've purchased them in.

I found a pic of the packets here:
    http://www.italdrink.it/prodotti.htm
    Bottom left..
    Jennifer_4
    • Total Posts : 1511
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/05/05 19:38:21 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by Marianne

I think the snack you are remembering is Daisies. They were introduced by General Mills in the late 1960s as part of a trio of new products. The others were Bugles, which everyone remembers and which are still available today, and Whistles, which were a like a short tube of Cheeto-like material, baked version. Daisies were very light, almost melted when you put them in your mouth, and had softly scalloped edges. They were a cupped shape as described.

OH! I remember Whistles! I loved those! and now I miss em.... thanks for the memories :)
    tarragon
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 354
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/05/05 22:44:51 (permalink)
    Yes yes, thank you as well for jogging my memory with Whistles! I couldn't remember their name! My Mom used to get Whistles and Bugles for us for snacks when I was in HS. Funny how Bugles have survived, but Whistles have not--wonder why?! I think I remember Daisys too, but am not certain about those Chipsters.
    REVILFAN
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/07/16 23:43:07 (permalink)
    I REMEMBET THESE GREAT TASTING SNACKS TOO!THEY LATER CAME OUT IN A BOX LIKE BUGLES .THEY HAD A FAMILY IN A HOT AIR BALLOON REACHING OUT TO GRAB SOME.THEN THEY WERE PUT IN BAGS AND LATER EVEN CHANGET TO OBOISES. DO YOU REMEMBER THE GREAT CHOCOLATE CANDY CALLED '' ICE CUBES '' TOO?WHERE CAN I GET THE CHIPSTERS?
    RobinB
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/08/13 11:31:01 (permalink)
    I remember these very well. They were Potato Chipsters by Nabisco. These and Corn Diggers were my FAVORITE snack as a kid. I ate them up north until I moved to SC 79. I just thought they didn't make them down here and forgot about them. Ooh, what I would do to have them today.
    mritec21
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 3
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2004/08/22 17:06:37 (permalink)
    I remember a corn chip called Dipsy Doodles. I'm from Philadelphia, PA, and I think it was made locally. Maybe by Wise's. They tasted
    a little like Fritos. Could this be the one?

Jenni
    Junior Burger
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2005/02/24 16:56:16 (permalink)
    I thought they were called "Corn Diggers" Those were my favorite chips when i was younger. I wish i could find those chips again!!
    Tony Bad
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5116
    RE: Please help me remember this snack food.. 2005/02/24 18:08:31 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by mritec21

I remember a corn chip called Dipsy Doodles. I'm from Philadelphia, PA, and I think it was made locally. Maybe by Wise's. They tasted
    a little like Fritos. Could this be the one?

Dipsy Doodles are indeed made by Wise...and they still make them. Much better than Fritos in my view!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Trial Version 5.1