Please -- need summer squash recipes

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 14:32:10 (permalink)
Here is one of my long time favorites

HOPKINS BOARDING HOUSE SQUASH CASSEROLE

3 lbs. yellow squash, sliced
1/2 cup chopped onion
1/2 cup butter or margarine
1/2 tsp. Pepper
2 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup cracker crumbs or cracker meal
1 tsp. salt

***you don't have to stick with just the yellow squash, sometimes I mix yellow and zucchini.
DIRECTIONS:
Cook squash, covered, in a small amount of boiling salted water 10 to 15 minutes or until tender. Drain well, and mash. Set aside. Sauté onion in butter until tender. Add onion, eggs, cracker crumbs, salt, and pepper to squash; stir well. Spoon mixture into a lightly greased 2-quart casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 350° F. for 20 minutes or until lightly browned. Yield: 8 to 10 servings.

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/09 14:50:46 (permalink)
Yes, I knew it Lone Star, that's very close to mine but I add some sharp cheddar, no cracker crumbs, then put the italian bread crumbs on top before baking. Your're sounds just as delicious.
LizzieR
Hamburger
  • Total Posts : 92
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/10 22:02:04 (permalink)
I have two great squash recipes. One is for zucchini lasagna, using the zucchini sliced lengthwise instead of lasagna noodles. Make according to your regular lasagna recipe. Delicious!! Paula Dean from the Food Network TV show has a great squash casserole using sauted squash, onion, sour cream, shredded cheese and Ritz cracker crumbs. Go to the Food-TV website and access her recipe or I'll post it later. Just be very sure to squeeze out extra moisture from cooked squash in tea towel before mixing with other ingredients. Otherwise, it will come out too watery. This is one fabulous recipe that everyone loves!
redtressed
  • Total Posts : 1017
RE: Please -- need summer squash recipes 2003/09/14 20:11:25 (permalink)
There's never enough squash to satisfy my passion for it......y'all are just plain silly.As for some recipes:

Stone Crab Zucchini(Can substitute yellow of course)
2 large zucchini
3 eggs beaten
1/2 cup milk
Couple dashes of hot sauce of choice
1 cup flour
2 tsp salt
1 tsp pepper
1 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp Accent
1 tsp paprika
2 packages Japanese Breadcrumbs
1 cup melted margarine or butter
2 cups mixed grated fresh hard chesses(parmesean, asiago, romano etc)
OR
1 Cup pre grated hard cheeses(i.e. Kraft in a can)

Cut off top and bottom of squash. Half the squash through it's width. Slice the squash into long , thin, flat strips and set aside. To the cup of flour add salt , pepper, accent, garlic powder and paprika and pour onto a plate for dredging. In another bowl, beat the eggs, milk and hot sauce together. Pour Japanese breadcrumbs onto other large plate. Dredge zucchini slices through flour, coat in the egg batter then dredge through the breadcrumbs. Lay flay on large shallow cookie sheets or jellyroll pans. Drizzle melted butter or margarine over slices, reserving half. Pop into a 400 oven and let bake until tops are slightly brown. Remove from oven and flip slices over and drizzle. After 7 mins remove again and sprinkle grated cheeses over and return to oven until cheese is bubbly. Serve hot with a horseradish or ranch dip.

Page: < 12 Showing page 2 of 2
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1