Helpful ReplyPlease post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol)

Author
Petapoker
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
2014/04/01 14:43:30 (permalink)

Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol)

A local ad: (Fresh Boston Cod Fillets...skinless/boneless...$7.99 lb) got me in the mood to try making Fish & Chips at home. I'd like to make the batter from scratch instead of from a box so I'd appreciate it if anyone would post their favorite recipes. I've fried perch in an electric skillet using a box batter mix but this time I'm going old school with a Lodge deep fryer on top of the stove.

post edited by Petapoker - 2014/04/01 14:45:27
Root-Beer Man
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 428
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/01 19:06:46 (permalink)
For cod there are so many ways you could go, but I like a nice thick tempura style batter and a fry. The fish is important to me, not necessarily the coating. 
Petapoker
Junior Burger
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/01 20:35:07 (permalink)
Root-Beer Man

For cod there are so many ways you could go, but I like a nice thick tempura style batter and a fry. The fish is important to me, not necessarily the coating. 

I'd never try a fish in a parka, or even a spring jacket. The coating is important to me!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10407
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/02 02:23:11 (permalink) ☄ Helpful
I use this one and love it!
Beer Battered Cod from OLD BAY®
Three cheers for beer! Beer Batter gets extra kick from OLD BAY®, giving these pan-fried cod fillets great taste and an extremely crispy texture. Super crunchy for fans of fry. Toss in hush puppies or battered veggie bites and sprinkle with OLD BAY.
Ingredients
vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup McCormick® Beer Batter Seafood Batter Mix
1 tablespoon OLD BAY® Seasoning
1/2 cup, 2 tablespoons beer or water
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into serving-size pieces
Directions
  • Heat oil to 375° F in heavy saucepan or deep fryer (use enough oil for food to float but do not fill pan more than half full).
  • In a shallow bowl, combine Batter Mix and OLD BAY. Add beer and stir until smooth. (Sip the remainder of the beer. Do not waste good beer.)
  • Dip fish into batter. Shake off excess.
    Fry fish, a few pieces at a time, 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once to brown evenly.
  • Remove and drain on paper towels.

jcheese
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 762
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/02 09:24:00 (permalink)
Flour, egg and beer works for me.
FriedClamFanatic
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1796
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/02 10:29:49 (permalink)
and the leftovers, if any, can be made into codfish cakes
eruby
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 720
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/02 11:03:23 (permalink)
FriedClamFanatic

and the leftovers, if any, can be made into codfish cakes
What are these "leftovers" you speak of with fried cod?

Twinwillow
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5120
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/02 11:04:29 (permalink)
I like the Dore' style. Dredge fillets in seasoned flour, then dip well in beaten eggs and then straight into hot skillet to shallow fry. Mmmmm, good! Especially with plenty of fresh squeezed lemon, chopped parsley, and some really good Tarter sauce. Beer of course to wash it down. 
Petapoker
Junior Burger
Re:Please post your favorite recipe for fried cod (I'm trying to raise my cholesterol) 2014/04/04 14:14:45 (permalink)
Foodbme

I use this one and love it!
Beer Battered Cod from OLD BAY®
Three cheers for beer! Beer Batter gets extra kick from OLD BAY®, giving these pan-fried cod fillets great taste and an extremely crispy texture. Super crunchy for fans of fry. Toss in hush puppies or battered veggie bites and sprinkle with OLD BAY.
Ingredients
vegetable oil, for frying
1 cup McCormick® Beer Batter Seafood Batter Mix
1 tablespoon
1/2 cup, 2 tablespoons beer or water
1 1/2 pounds cod fillets, cut into serving-size pieces
Directions
  • Heat oil to 375° F in heavy saucepan or deep fryer (use enough oil for food to float but do not fill pan more than half full).
  • In a shallow bowl, combine Batter Mix and OLD BAY. Add beer and stir until smooth. (Sip the remainder of the beer. Do not waste good beer.)
  • Dip fish into batter. Shake off excess.
    Fry fish, a few pieces at a time, 3 to 5 minutes or until golden brown, turning once to brown evenly.
  • Remove and drain on paper towels.

I didn't have the McCormick® Beer Batter Seafood Batter Mix but I liked your idea of using Old Bay Seasoning so I used it with a Guinness beer batter and it turned out great! I don't often fry fish at home, it's just too damn messy, but this was worth it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1