Pluot....(not plumcots or apriums...)....

Author
NYNM
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 3053
2005/08/09 18:55:19 (permalink)

Pluot....(not plumcots or apriums...)....

OK, so I went to the supermarket today and found strange fruit. It looked like a plum to me, but it was called a "pluot". I bought some; they tasted like plums, too. OK to me, not great.

I thought I was crazy; maybe it was a misprint, or something on sales from Mr. Pluot (or maybe even a new planet?). So, I googled it and found out that pluots have been around since 2003 - maybe this is old news. It says that pluots are a 60/40 cross of plums and apricots.

However, I found out that is important to distinquish "pluot from "plumcots."(I think like 50/50) Also they distinguish pluots from "apriums" (which is 40/60 plum apricots). These are trademark fruits....I'm still wondering about plutocrats....

So who else knows about these or other "fake fruits",or maybe designer fruits (like designer drugs......)?

2 Replies Related Threads

mayor al
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 15286
    RE: Pluot....(not plumcots or apriums...).... 2005/08/09 19:42:39 (permalink)
    They aren't Fake. Plucots are 75% plum and 25% Apricot...and Apriums are the reverse, 75% Apricot and 25% Plum. These are the result of hybridization, not a grafted or mutated line. Zaiger Genetics in Modesto,CA developed both strains and holds a trademark for APRIUM. He markets them thru many nursery wholesalers. For me that means Stark Brothers in Missouri.
    We had 2 Apriums and 5 Apricots, and 2 Plucots with 2 Santa Rosa plums in our little orchard on the High Desert of SoCal. They were in their 10th season when we left.
    The Aprium looks like a large Apricot. It tends to be a bit earlier than most Apricots, which caused some loss to frost there on the desert. (4000' elevation). It has a reddish tinge to the inner golden 'meat' of the fruit and is very sweet, even when not quite ripe.
    The Plucots didn't fair as well, and seemed to be a bit less hardy in the desert climate (drip-irrigation for all trees required). They looked like their Plum cousins (dark smooth blue-purple skin) the inside had the yellow tinged pulp one sees in a Green Gauge(sp?)Plum. They tasted like a Plum-Apricot mix, where the Aprium was more a sweeter Apricot.
    We do not have an Aprium here in Indiana as the frost is to late in the season for the fruit to survive. I wish we did. We got tons of great fruit from those trees and made all kinds of neat preserves with it.
    Jungle Jims has the Pluots quite often, but I haven't tried them.
    NYNM
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 3053
    RE: Pluot....(not plumcots or apriums...).... 2005/08/09 23:16:17 (permalink)
    AL" Thanks for the info. Hope I didn't sound insulting, calling these fruits "fake". I'm a city girl, waddda I know. I found it rather fascinating to learn about these fruit and vegetable combinations! (I guess I still thought a pineapple was an apple that came from a pine tree!!)
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1