Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything!

Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
Author
Lone Star
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1730
2003/09/30 16:42:27 (permalink)

Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything!

"Plus-size resort caters to the "plus" size....

http://www.khou.com/news/lifestyles/stories/khou030929_jr_plussizeresort.44172531.html

Where you go if you have had too much roadfood...

33 Replies Related Threads

EdSails
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 4116
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/09/30 16:44:37 (permalink)
    I may have to book myself into there after I do my upcoming cruise!
    hilldweller
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 168
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/09/30 17:09:36 (permalink)
    Here are two similar articles that don't require you to register

(I did a quick google search 'cause I'm tired of having to register at a site every time I want to just glance at article to see if I want to read it or not.)
    [url='http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,89938,00.html']Plus-Size Hotels Equal Big Business[/url]

[url='http://www.usatoday.com/travel/vacations/destinations/2003/2003-07-11-vacation-large.htm']Vacationing large[/url]
    chezkatie
    • Total Posts : 1329
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/09/30 20:04:47 (permalink)
    Personally, I am saddened that obese people even feel the need to go to resorts that cater to the "large bodies". I am overweight and would go to any resort in the world and put on my bathing suit and enjoy myself......if there are people that have nothing better to to than to critique my figure, I feel that they have the problem and not me. I spend as much as the "beautiful people" and could not care a bit what someone might think of my figure. Guess what.......not everyone can be 20 years old and a size 4!
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 06:26:12 (permalink)
    They have some good points in this idea. I know for a fact that I can't sit in one of those molded all plastic chairs. I have collapsed the legs more then once. I hate feeling/being cramped in the bathroom. The pot squeezed between the sink and the bath. Or the shower being too small to bend over in. The wobbly feeling when you sit on a slender wood chair, is it going to hold?

I'm 6'6" and 350 lbs. So yeah, I'm a big guy in more ways then one.

I too learned a long time ago not to give a damn what people think of my size. But I am also tired of it being OK to make fat jokes but not PC to make ethnic/color ones.

I personally think that this resort is a wondeful idea. Now if only I can get PickyPeggy, herself a big girl, away from the baby for a week, I'm there.

MikeS.
    CheeseWit
    • Total Posts : 1394
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 07:04:06 (permalink)
    Hey, everywhere I show up becomes a plus size resort. I don't feel the need to go to a plus size only resort.
    Bushie
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2902
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 08:48:04 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by CheeseWit

Hey, everywhere I show up becomes a plus size resort...

Ditto for me!
    Rusty246
    • Total Posts : 2414
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 11:08:10 (permalink)
    I feel the need to step in here. I'm 5'5 and 118 lbs. I LOVE TO EAT, and am told fortunatly for me I have a fast metabolism, and that one day all of this eating will catch up to me. So I say WHO CARES?!?!?!? I would much rather dine, lounge, hang out with, whatever you want to call it, with people who don't care about their weight no matter what size as long as they are happy people!!!! I can't stand those who care about every ounce they consume, bitch about it and have that "now where's that mirror?" syndrome. "How do I look in this dress, does it make me look fat?" To which I say YES! Now pass the dessert.....
    Thanks for letting me vent. I hear a double cheeseburger calling my name.
    scbuzz
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 844
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 11:34:39 (permalink)
    I like to maintain my full figure too !

I love to eat ... and it is a big treat for me to eat a great meal !!

Soooo, sign me up for the "Plus Size" resort vacation !!!

I'll bring my new SPEEDO bathing suite !!! Ya'll just promise not to point and laugh !
    Oneiron339
    • Total Posts : 2075
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 12:50:00 (permalink)
    Speaking of "Size" related resorts: Did you hear the story about the midget Herve Villachaize (the guy on Fantasy Island) who was tired of places which didn't cater to "small" people. So he created a condominium where everything was built in miniature for altitudinally challenged folks. All the fixtures, all the furniture, everything was built to that height. And the best thing was, there was no charge to stay there. The name of the place was "Stay Free Mini-Pads."
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 7260
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/01 14:32:31 (permalink)
    Hey Rusty, I can completely agree with you, being 5'4", 120 lbs. I don't care if I'm at a super skinny resort in Brazil or a Plus Size one. Makes no difference. People are great the world over. Some are thin, some are fat, doesn't matter.
    spadoman
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 228
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/02 12:17:19 (permalink)
    So, the question that comes to mind for me is this:
    Do you have to be a "plus sized" person to go there?
    I mean, what if your big as a house and married to a smaller person? Can't she come along?
    You know, the hamburger and hot dog routine, where one is tall and lean, (hot dog) and the other is round (hamburger). You see these couple all the time.

BTW, if anyong wants a Krispy Kreme calendar, let me know.
    MikeS.
    Fire Safety Admin
    • Total Posts : 5475
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/10/03 02:16:27 (permalink)
    KK calendar...Boy I can't wait to get to Memphis in 3 weeks so that I can get FRESH KK donuts. Ummmmm, Bavarian filled

MikeS.
    JimInKy
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 599
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/11/24 07:38:47 (permalink)
    None of us–not a one–has the imagination to know what it feels like to be poor or hungry, or morbidly obese or grossly different unless we have been that.

If someone is interested in a resort or vacation where they aren't subjected to stares, critical remarks, ostracizing, discriminatory treatment, rudeness, and the like, Godspeed to them. None of us has the right to judge such souls as they try to love and be a friend to themselves.

Gay and Lesbian couples have been patronizing locales socially accepting of them for decades. It shouldn't be any surprise that any person might want to escape experiences that are painful for them.

You can say there are fine people everywhere, but we know that some among us are cruel. And there are many more who are just downright insensitive and don't care. My heart goes out to anyone who is suffering. Think about it!

ToddH
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 20
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/11/27 16:40:29 (permalink)
    Hi guys and girls,
    This plus size resort topic would be a good idea if we have trouble with having hotels accomodate us.
    I find these forums on roadfood to be refreshing in that we all find out what kind of food we like and try to find it on the road.
    I eat basically what I want and am slowly(about 4lbs in a year) losing weight. Better than Atkins and some others which I did in the past but left me so ravenous for REAL food I gained back all my weight lost.
    I surf to NAAFA.org and www.bigfatblog.com and other fat-support sites because they do help us deal with the BS out here in the real world.
    I'm big,6'1",and 260#s, but not in the range of some of the people who are super-sized. I can only imagine what its like to be that big. I hope I never do.
    I subscribe to the philosophy of Overcoming Overeating so I want the best food I can find. It is SO destressing at the end of the day to either cook what I want or go out and find a good restaurant.
    Cheers
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/11/28 21:35:21 (permalink)
    As someone who's been on Weight Watchers since 9/23/02, and has lost 43 lbs. and has less than 2 lbs. to goal (which will put me at 130, which is still too much for someone only 5'2" so I'm not stopping there), I know what it's like to be overweight. Not morbidly obese, but I can't hold all that weight and be comfortable, physically or emotionally. And emotionally is pretty much the key word, but I refuse to give a Weight Watchers lecture! Just wanted to brag a bit, and speaking of bragging, my daughter, who has been on this with me since 12/02, is 5'7", has lost 49 lbs. and is 9 lbs. from goal weight!

It's all about how you feel, I think. Some of us just get mad one day and go out and decide to change part of what made us feel bad...the part that we COULD change and the part that we COULD control. Underlying stuff...well...

As far as these resorts...I don't have much of an opinion except that perhaps the people who patronize these plus-size resorts will just be able to relate to everyone else there...and perhaps it makes them feel better...??? Also someone's makin' a pretty penny. Wonder if these places cost more (I did not read the articles yet but I will).
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 127
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/04 13:14:12 (permalink)
    I'm with CheeseWit (in more ways than one! ). While I've grown from a chubby baby to a "pleasantly plump" adult (with sporadic successful stints on Weight Watchers dating back to 1968 " />), I'd feel uncomfortable at a Plus Size Only Resort. I've been lucky to have vacationed at some of the finest spas around the world, and while I was usually heavier than most of the "X-ray" people there, I didn't mind their presence ONE bit <hehehe>, was happy to be there myself, and left energized and content with my efforts and "new attitude." As a matter of fact, I was at spas in both Russia and Israel where I was among the AVERAGE sized patrons, and noone looked at each other funny or had any shame in their shape or size.

I've learned to either be comfortable with whatever size I am at the moment, or do something about it if it becomes UNcomfortable -- for ME. My husband & I would both qualify for this special-interest spa, but we love each other no matter how much (or little) padding surrounds the warm hearts and active minds inside. Ironically, I think I'd feel oddly conspicuous as a "big" girl at a "big" resort. I vote for being an active ingredient in the melting pot that we call life (apt analogy for Roadfooders, if I must say so myself), and making the most of whatever environment makes me happy.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/04 13:31:42 (permalink)
    Jane, I hope you never ate Snappy Makeral Casserole or Frankfurter Spectacular while on Weight Watchers! " />
    meowzart
    Double Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 773
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/04 17:12:51 (permalink)
    For all big girls (and guys) out there a quote:

"In all my years, I have never, not once in my life, been on a diet. I have philosophical problems with the idea of food deprivation. I believe that food is a pleasure, a gift, not the enemy. I understand the benefits of never ingestiing another piece of cheesecake, but am not interested in that kind of life. So I eat butter and red meat. I have hot-fudge-brownie sundaes. I also eat carrots and arugula and grow my own heirloom tomatoes. I eat what I believe is a balanced diet, one without denial or an undue obsession with fat and calories. Truth be known, I'd much rather read a tabloid than a food label. If choosing not to diet slows my progress, so be it. At least I won't be hungry while I'm waiting.

I want to be fit, but I don't want being fit to be all I think about. I begin to consider that maybe being fat and interesting is better than being thin and obsessed with staying that way."
    --Allison Glock, "I Want My Body Back"

Voluptuousness, sensualness, lusciousness = sexy. I am not ashamed of my body. I won't let society do that to me. I won't hide away in a plus-size resort. But I can understand that people might want to. When it comes to being large, society is not very understanding or accepting. We are portrayed as slovenly, lazy, out of shape, unhealthy.

Meowzart--6'0" and 255 lbs.

PS: When I was in Hawaii, women of ALL sizes wore bikinis everywhere. I LOVED that! I thought they were especially beautiful because they seemed so daring to me. It is all about culture, people, and we can only change it if we aren't sequestered away.
    harriet1954
    • Total Posts : 1165
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/04 19:38:08 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by lleechef

Jane, I hope you never ate Snappy Makeral Casserole or Frankfurter Spectacular while on Weight Watchers! " />

http://www.candyboots.com/wwcards/jelliedtomatorefresh.html

Now I know why I didn't even think about Weight Watchers until I was in my 40s and those weird recipes were safely in the past...I call the above "Fear Factor Food"...

At a healthy weight but unafraid of, still goin' for, and always happy to try new Roadfood,

Harriet (Shayna's Mom...and Shayna too!)
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/04 21:54:28 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by meowzart

For all big girls (and guys) out there a quote:

"In all my years, I have never, not once in my life, been on a diet. I have philosophical problems with the idea of food deprivation. I believe that food is a pleasure, a gift, not the enemy. I understand the benefits of never ingestiing another piece of cheesecake, but am not interested in that kind of life. So I eat butter and red meat. I have hot-fudge-brownie sundaes. I also eat carrots and arugula and grow my own heirloom tomatoes. I eat what I believe is a balanced diet, one without denial or an undue obsession with fat and calories. Truth be known, I'd much rather read a tabloid than a food label. If choosing not to diet slows my progress, so be it. At least I won't be hungry while I'm waiting.

I want to be fit, but I don't want being fit to be all I think about. I begin to consider that maybe being fat and interesting is better than being thin and obsessed with staying that way."
    --Allison Glock, "I Want My Body Back"

Voluptuousness, sensualness, lusciousness = sexy. I am not ashamed of my body. I won't let society do that to me. I won't hide away in a plus-size resort. But I can understand that people might want to. When it comes to being large, society is not very understanding or accepting. We are portrayed as slovenly, lazy, out of shape, unhealthy.

Meowzart--6'0" and 255 lbs.

PS: When I was in Hawaii, women of ALL sizes wore bikinis everywhere. I LOVED that! I thought they were especially beautiful because they seemed so daring to me. It is all about culture, people, and we can only change it if we aren't sequestered away.

Meowzart, being skinny is just a fad. The women Bottocelli painted during the Renaissance were naked, full bodied and considered to be VERY sexy and very beautiful. Being skinny and anorexic was OUT. Unfortunately now, you're not considered sexy and beautiful unless you go to the gym every day, eat rabbit food and drink mineral water and wear a size 0, 6"2 and from Brazil. That's ok for some people. But if you appreciate good food and drink it's not something you do want to do the rest of your life! I believe like Julia Child says, "Everything in moderation". These resorts are ridiculous.

And I hope NOT ONE OF YOU has ever seen, eaten or attemped to prepare the Frankfurter Spectacular because you will be banned from this forum! I'm off my soap box now. Thank you.
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/04 23:00:49 (permalink)
    No, I never went in for those "fake" diet recipes, especially anything called "Snappy!" But I did choke down more than my share of tuna fish packed in oil, but rinsed w/ tap water, dry broiled flounder, grey-tinted powdered skim milk, and yes, even liver once a week (whose virtues I didn't realize until I was much more mature, and discovered carmelized onions!). Was it worth it? Maybe yes, at the time, I thought so. But today's healhty eating programs are far more civilized (and flexible) for the modern gastronome, and the momentum I need to motivate me to rejoin is growing ever stronger. All the menu-planning, shopping & prep work can be a real PITA, but also brings a measure of control to my life.

But enough seriosity, folks. I have a pumpkin chiffon pie Rx to share, and clothier's been waiting so patiently... It's late, though, and I have to wake up early to deal w/ the snowstorm forecast for tomorrow morning, but I PROMISE to provide it some time over the weekend while I'm snowed in. Til then, remember that life's short, so eat dessert first, and sweet dreams to all my Roadfood friends.
    CheeseWit
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 00:29:17 (permalink)
    Hey clothier do I have to keep my eye on you?
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

thanks!!!

love your pic, by the way. and if I can say this about someone who looks like she could be my cousin, you are smoking hot.
    lleechef
    Sirloin
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 03:08:03 (permalink)
    quote:
    Originally posted by clothier

thanks!!!

love your pic, by the way. and if I can say this about someone who looks like she could be my cousin, you are smoking hot.

Where's the pic? I don't see it.
    EliseT
    Filet Mignon
    • Total Posts : 2888
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 04:20:19 (permalink)
    I recommend all women read "The Beauty Myth"...I think it is by Naomi Wolf. Some of the info is outdated, because now they actually DO have creams that DO erase lines, etc. (ahh, technology), but the info on weight is right on. After reading it, if I caught myself in the mirror coming out of the shower, instead of thinking about a diet, I would think, "I am a fertility GODDESS!!!"
    CheeseWit
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 05:40:49 (permalink)
    Our pic is on the thread "Our Roadfood Honeymoon".
    CheeseWit
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 07:01:13 (permalink)
    gee, thanks, clothier! DIET, SCHMIET!!!!!
    JaneDough
    Cheeseburger
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 07:05:58 (permalink)
    geez, what a dope I am... replying under CheeseWit's login again... I must be all "fahchahtted" from the compliments that last comment came from ME (not CheeseWit) to clothier. Flattery will get you... Pumpkin Chiffon Pie!!!
    CheeseWit
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 08:33:04 (permalink)
    Clothier, first off, congrats on achieving Double Cheeseburger status. Next, I won't argue about which of us is better looking. Let's just say that Jane married me for my talents, expertise, and size.
    Of course I'm referring to my cooking, Roadfood knowledge, and my being over 6'3". So for all of you who were thinking of other things, TAKE YOUR MIND OUT OF THE GUTTER!!!(or email me privately for the truth...lol)
    CheeseWit
    RE: Plus-size resort - now I've seen everything! 2003/12/05 09:00:05 (permalink)
    Thanks...now I'm blushing. You really know how to sweet talk this couple!
    Page: 12 > Showing page 1 of 2
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1