Polish Dill Pickle Soup

Author
HotDogHead
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 665
2011/05/12 16:48:33 (permalink)

Polish Dill Pickle Soup

Does anyone have a good recipe for polish pickle soup?  I have a coworker who made her handed down recipe and let me try it.  It was the best soup I have ever had.  I tried googling recipes but nothing looked comparable.

9 Replies Related Threads

ann peeples
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 8323
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/12 16:55:41 (permalink)
    Ask your co-worker!!!
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/12 17:20:32 (permalink)
    Alright smartie pants.    Sorry, I neglected to say that I did ask her for it.  She is very protective of it and added that it comes from her head.  Her cooking traditions were passed on to her hands-on.  She doesn't believe in written recipes, just recipes from the heart.
    chewingthefat
    Sirloin
    • Total Posts : 6186
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/12 17:29:16 (permalink)
    Never heard of it but I'll give you a recipe I bet will work: 2 polish pckles, and a carrot liquified in a blender,  32 ozs., chicken broth, cubed Yukon Gold taters, chopped Vidalia onions, fresh dill, fresh chopped parsley, fresh thyme, fresh minced garlic, ground pepper, the pickles should be salty enough 1/2 & 1/2, Cream sherry. simmer everything, except the cream sherry and 1/2 & 1/2, till the potatoes are nearly soft, lastly add 2 more rough cut polish pickles, then the 1/2 & 1/2, lastly the sherry, adjust seasonings, add a little butter roux, if you want it thickened. Sounds like it would work, but who knows? 
    HotDogHead
    Double Cheeseburger
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/12 17:38:41 (permalink)
    chewingthefat

Never heard of it but I'll give you a recipe I bet will work: 2 polish pckles, and a carrot liquified in a blender,  32 ozs., chicken broth, cubed Yukon Gold taters, chopped Vidalia onions, fresh dill, fresh chopped parsley, fresh thyme, fresh minced garlic, ground pepper, the pickles should be salty enough 1/2 & 1/2, Cream sherry. simmer everything, except the cream sherry and 1/2 & 1/2, till the potatoes are nearly soft, lastly add 2 more rough cut polish pickles, then the 1/2 & 1/2, lastly the sherry, adjust seasonings, add a little butter roux, if you want it thickened. Sounds like it would work, but who knows? 

Wow.  I'm impressed!  I may give that a try.  Thank you.

DawnT
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 1286
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/12 18:12:25 (permalink)
    Here's the real deal from my mom's recipe box and clippings. Actually she has two recipes on the cards, but they are almost identical. The ingredients and text in parenthesis are the second recipe. Since they are near the same, I would venture a guess that the recipe is traditional. I never had this nor did my grandmother ever make it. My mom was a recipe packrat, but rarely would cook. Even though I don't know anything about this recipe, I would suspect that they are not talking about the same dill pickles that you might be used to from a store bottle and gives a different taste. My grandmother used to make dill pickles in a crock with a headstone that used a fermentation process that a scum would form on the top. There also was a hot brine process that was much like a half sour that she would make. These tasted very different from a deli style. 

3 Large Dill Pickles (3-4)
    3 T Butter (2T)
    6 C meat or vegetable stock
    1 C sour cream (2/3 C)
    2 T flour (1T)

Slice pickles and saute in butter and flour until wilted.
    (Slice pickels and saute in butter and 1 cup of stock 30 min)
    Add stock and simmer a 30 min.
    (Add stock with which the sour cream and flour has been blended)

Strain and add the sour cream

For more tartness add some pickeling juice or lemon juice.
    NascarDad
    Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 336
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/12 19:37:12 (permalink)
    Interesting.  Never even heard of this and I have had more than my fair share of polish food (including several kinds of soup)

edwmax
    Double Chili Cheeseburger
    • Total Posts : 2081
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/13 08:51:00 (permalink)
    Many recipes showed up on a google.    ... The base can be cream/sour cream or tomato.   .... Chewwie's recipe above was a darn good guess and looks like worth trying.     ... A note I saw in one recipe was to use only deli style or homemade pickles made without vinegar.  ie. sour dill pickles made in salt-water brine old style.  Many people would drink this pickle juice straight.     ref: http://forums.plentyoffish.com/datingPosts4646662.aspx  

Before refrigeration. pickle soup was the winter version of the summer cucumber soup. So there would be many different recipes as there were cucumber soup recipes.
    post edited by edwmax - 2011/05/13 08:55:56
    veracious
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 14
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/05/16 08:11:36 (permalink)
    In my family, we made dill pickle soup with a ketchup base. This more widely known variation uses sour cream and, if you substitute vegetable stock for the chicken stock, it is completely vegetarian.
    this soup can be enjoyed winter or summer.
    Makes 6 servings
    Prep Time: 15 minutes
    Cook Time: 30 minutes
    Total Time: 45 minutes
    Ingredients:

* 2 tablespoons butter
        * 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
        * 4 cups chicken or vegetable both
        * 4 large garlic dill pickles, about 3 cups chopped
        * 2/3 cup liquid from pickle jar or water
        * 4 large potatoes, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
        * 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
        * 1 cup sour cream
        * Salt and black pepper
        * Sugar to taste, if desired
        * Chopped fresh dill for garnish, if desired

Preparation:

1. Melt butter in a large pot. Saute onion until translucent, about 3 minutes.

2. Add broth, pickles, pickle liquid and potatoes. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer until potatoes are tender, about 20 minutes.

3. Blend flour with sour cream. Temper sour cream mixture with a little hot soup. Pour tempered sour cream into hot soup, whisking constantly until it comes to a boil. Reduce heat to low and simmer 3 minutes or until slightly thickened. Adjust seasoning, adding sugar if desired. Note:At this point, the soup can be left chunky or pureed to the velvety consistency of vichyssoise.

4. Serve in heated bowls garnished with chopped fresh dill, if desired.

Steadam2011
    Junior Burger
    • Total Posts : 16
    Re:Polish Dill Pickle Soup 2011/07/25 05:40:58 (permalink)
    INGREDIENTS

* 2 tablespoons butter
    * 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
    * 7 cups chicken broth
    * 1/2 cup finely chopped dill pickles
    * 2 tablespoons dill pickle juice
    * 2 tablespoons white sugar
    * 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
    * 2 teaspoons minced garlic
    * 4 teaspoons onion salt
    * 1 teaspoon dill weed
    * 1 teaspoon curry powder
    * 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
    * 2 bay leaves
    * 2 cups warm milk

DIRECTIONS

1. Melt butter in a large stockpot over medium heat. Whisk in flour, and cook until the flour just begins to turn from white to a pale beige, 1 to 2 minutes. Whisk in chicken broth until thickened and smooth. Increase heat to medium high, add dill pickles, pickle juice, sugar, Worcestershire sauce, garlic, onion salt, dill weed, curry powder, white pepper, and bay leaves. Bring to a simmer, then reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes, whisking frequently. Remove from heat and whisk in milk. Remove bay leaves before serving.

post edited by Steadam2011 - 2011/08/27 03:07:34
    Jump to:
    © 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1