LockedPolish food

Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6 - Powered by APG vNext Trial
Cheeseburger
2006/07/01 11:32:25
Why don't you talk of Polish foods, and places to get them? Where are the best? What are the best?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 11:36:40
There are several threads about Polish Food.
When I lived in Pittsburgh, Polish food is all everyone ever talked about. Now that I live in Rhode Island it's "Portuguese this and Portuguese that"
zataar
Double Chili Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 12:22:44
Nye's Polonaise in Minneapolis is a fun place. Their pierogis are good. They have several different kinds. I don' t know if their menu has changed for decades. Not sure about the waitress, either. Great live Polka bands. AND they know how to mix a proper drink. They have really good cabbage rolls. Nye's has been discussed here in the past.
Pigiron
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 13:20:35
There's some great places in NYC: Christines, Odessa (yes, I know Odessa is not in Poland), Theresa's (in Brooklyn Heights), Neptune, Polonia, and my absolute favorite: Little Poland.
lleechef
Sirloin
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 16:17:59
There is a great festival every year in Ambridge, PA called Nationality Days. The food booths are sponsored by churches, Polish, Ukranian, Serbian and Russian Orthodox. Fantastic food! Those church ladies sure can cook.
WVHillbilly
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 16:23:24
Polish Guy, Why don't you tell us about Polish food. My depth of knowledge goes about as deep as keilbasi.
sizz
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 18:15:54
quote:
Polish guy Posted - 07/01/2006 : 11:32:25
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Why don't you talk of Polish foods, and places to get them? Where are the best? What are the best?

Polish Guy:.........Polish foods, this is where to get them, this is where they are the best, and anything there that is Polish is the best?

Seemingly a world away, Greenpoint, a Brooklyn community is the largest Polish neighborhood in New York City, It is physically closer to Manhattan than any other neighborhood in Brooklyn. There are upwards of 40,000 Poles in this Brooklyn neighborhood. So it's no surprise if you're hungry you'll find the best Polish food any where in the good old USofA . When in NY this Polish boy "fpczyz" will always stop for my fill of pierogi, kielbasa, Krakowska,Grzanki z szynka toasted sausage and horseradish and rye bread. Lots of restaurants and butcher shops abound on the main street. "Manhattan Ave." You'll find the likes of Martha Stewart shopping along the avenues (she's Polish you know) and there is no other Polish place like it ........Greenpoint is the next best thing to Poland
Brookerme
Hamburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/01 19:28:14
New Britain, CT has a large polish population with delis, bakeries and restaurants like Cracovia and Fatherland.
UncleVic
Sirloin
RE: Polish food 2006/07/02 10:36:09
Saw this and thought of ya Polish Guy:

July 28-30 -- Pierogi Festival, Whiting, Ind. -- Live polka bands, imported Slovak dancers, beer garden, and craft show, ethnic food vendors, Polka Parade, Kids' Kourt, more pierogies than there are in Warsaw and Mr. Pieorgi and his dancing Pieroguettes.
sizz
RE: Polish food 2006/07/02 11:01:27
quote:
UncleVic Posted - 07/02/2006 : 10:36:09
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Saw this and thought of ya Polish Guy:

July 28-30 -- Pierogi Festival, Whiting, Ind

and their website is...................... http://www.pierogifest.net/
fabulousoyster
RE: Polish food 2006/07/02 16:06:53
Christine's in NYC on 1st Ave.
jinjo76
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/02 19:21:39
Not really a restaurant, but it's great.

http://www.floryda.com/krakusdeli/

Jonathan

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/08 23:10:38
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

Lots of Polish neighborhoods and great Polish restaurants in the Detroit area ... especially Hamtramck.

Mmmmm that peirogi pic you posted is how I like'em ... covered with what we used to call "squarkie" (I have no idea of the proper spelling)... crispy bacon bits.
ScreenBear
RE: Polish food 2006/07/08 23:53:42
At my house, we called fried chicken fat "Squarkie."
The Bear
essvee
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/09 00:35:10
The Red Apple on Milwaukee in Chicago hey. Best borcht and veal meatballs with dill and sour cream gravy and potato pancakes I ever had.
buckeye1
Hamburger
RE: Polish food 2006/07/09 02:12:26
In Cleveland's Slavic Village (Fleet Avenue = Polish Broadway) there are several Polish establishments that have endured for decades...

The Red Chimney on Fleet at 65th is open 24 hrs, with everything from a $2.25 breakfast to pierogies, stuffed cabbage, and kielbasa. Seven Roses Restaurant is at 63rd and Fleet and is a newer Polish restaurant. Ewa's is on 71st and has all the Polish standards. Not sure if Zosia's is still on Broadway at 78th as I haven't been that way for a few years.

There are also several butcher shops and delis on Fleet, my favorite is Europa Deli. (Jaworski's was my favorite until they picked up and moved to Parma) And on 65th and Gertrude is the Gertrude Bakery with all the Polish treats like nut and poppyseed patica, chruschiki, and paczki.
www.slavicvillage.org/Neighborhood/local_businesses.htm

Of course, Sokolowski's in Tremont is known far and wide for its Polish cafeteria food. www.sokolowskis.com
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Polish food 2006/08/15 13:47:47
I agree with zataar about Nye's Polonaise in Minneapolis. Great Polish food in a fun atmosphere. http://www.nyespolonaise.com/

Two other favorites are Crocus in Milwaukee and Polonia in Hamtramck, Michigan, just outside of Detroit.
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/08/15 14:38:32
Recently where we live in NJ, there have been numerous Polish deli's that have opened up. You can get a full dinner meal complete with mashed potatos and a vegetable for $5! You get to pick from about 3 or 4 entrees which vary each day. Roast pork, Pierogi, Crepes filled with cheese, and various other polish delicacies that I don't know how to spell. The portions are HUGE too - enough for two people. I don't know how they do it. The place is packed every night by commuters picking up dinner on their way home. Come to think of it, think that'll be dinner one night this week. I feel like I should offer them more money, though!
burgerman206
Junior Burger
RE: Polish food 2006/08/24 19:12:05
Dear Aleswench,
Where do you live in New Jersey; which exit? Seriously, though, I think a lot of us Northeast "Roadfoodlers" would like to know which town you're talking about. You describe commuters heading home. Sounds like it's near a NJ Transit train station. Could it be Linden, or is it further north?! There is a good perogi factory and cafe across the street from the Roselle Park train station -- I believe it's on Chestnut Street. Delicious Perogies, Inc.; don't have the phone number handy. All the traditional variations of potato and----, as well as some really good fruit-filled ones. (Cherry and blueberry are my favorites!!!) Get there before 2 or 3pm, as the fruit ones sell out the earliest. You can also buy them frozen by the dozen to take home.
Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/10/07 14:19:17
quote:
Originally posted by Sonny Funzio

Mmmmm that peirogi pic you posted is how I like'em ... covered with what we used to call "squarkie" (I have no idea of the proper spelling)... crispy bacon bits.

It's spelled skwarki (pron. skfaarkee - with a rolled "r"). Mmmmmmm skwarki ..... (drool)

Most Roadfooders aren't normally interested in places to eat in Canada, but if anyone is ever in Toronto, the best Polish food is found on Roncesvalles Avenue (just north of The Queensway). Here's a link:

http://www.roncesvallesvillage.ca/

Restaurants like Staroploski, Zagloba, Chopin, Café Polonez serve excellent Polish foods but I have not been to any recently so can't confirm prices, changes etc.

There are also great delis like Batory Deli - which is now Super Kielbasa, Benna's Bakery & Deli, Warmia Deli with all kinds of sausages, cold foods and ready to reheat hot foods (like bigos, flaczki, pulpeciki w sosie, pierogi, beets, various soups etc) as well as excellent cakes and pastries. These stores also carry candy and canned goods etc straight off the boat from Poland. Benna's and Batory are my home away from home and when I visit Toronto, I come back with bags and bags full of goodies. (You can also find pharmacies with Polish cosmetics, travel agencies, libraries and bookstores, etc in this area if you are looking for that sort of thing).

Kitchener - home of the second largest Oktoberfest in the world after the original in Munich (located about 120 km southwest of Toronto) - has a few excellent Polish delis, namely Euro Foods on Highland Road and Nougat Bakery and Deli on Queen Street North. You can find Polish food in Waterloo at the Waterloo Farmers Market and the St. Jacob's Market.

OK, I'm tired after all that typing and need a bowl of beet soup and a nap.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/10/07 14:19:24
All in Hamtramck, Michigan ...
Polish Village Cafe
Under the Eagle
The Polish Yacht Club (Ivanhoe Cafe)
mr chips
Filet Mignon
RE: Polish food 2006/10/08 14:42:52
A'int no Polish places in Portland, Oregon. Had a great Polish festival a couple weeks back(though the peirogies were imported from Chicago)
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Polish food 2006/10/10 09:37:37
Last night I got take-out at Forgotten Taste Famous Pierogies, which recently opened on Rte. 19 in Wexford, a northern suburb of Pittsburgh. I got an order of Goulash over Pierogies (I prefer sauerkraut), a stuffed cabbage and a side of halushki. Everything was quite good, especially the halushki and I will definitely be back. The young man who waited on me had a thick Eastern European accent, which I took as a good sign. Since they don't have seats, everything is take-out. They also have a store in Moon Township, near Robert Morris University.

Some other places in Pittsburgh worth checking out are The Bloomfield Bridge Tavern, Clara's Pittsburgh Pierogies,

http://www.claraspghpierogies.com/

and the best of them all, Pierogies Plus.

http://www.pierogiesplus.com/

Big Sausage
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/10/10 10:43:45
Buster, you really know how to hurt a guy. Checking out those web sites brought a tear to my eye, I'm just about ready to give my daughters and set up the pirogi factory in the kitchen and stock the freezer.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/10/11 12:28:37
I understand that there are many mail order places for Polish foods, pre-made. I have not used any yet, do you know of any? What is the best all around for this? We have Chicago, little Poland, just a hour from my home, so I have it all. I got to several great places in Chicago. And we make our own, at home, that are the best, with a lot of hard work.

Tell me of you best mail order place for great Polish.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Polish food 2006/10/15 17:15:43
Anyone know of any good Polsh Places in the Phoenix Area? Don't think we have any but don't know
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Polish food 2006/10/15 17:17:48
quote:
Originally posted by Foodbme

Anyone know of any good Polsh Places in the Phoenix Area? Don't think we have any but don't know

Sorry for the typo. Polish Places
MilwFoodlovers
Filet Mignon
RE: Polish food 2006/10/15 21:44:04
Milwaukee is blessed with a few small deli's and two great family type restaurants. We have The Crocus at 3577 S 13th St Milwaukee, WI 53221, (414) 643-6383 which has no website and The Polonez which does: http://www.foodspot.com/polonez/menu.html
buffetbuster
Porterhouse
RE: Polish food 2006/10/24 15:19:23
Anyone familiar with chrusciki? I had never heard of it until I tried it for the first time earlier today from Forgotten Taste Famous Pierogies, which I mentioned in an earlier post. It is described as an angel wing pastry covered in powdered sugar. It was quite delicious, along with the stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut pierogies and green beans I had for lunch. I am really going to enjoy having a Polish take-out place so close by!
msturlic
Junior Burger
RE: Polish food 2006/10/24 16:01:16
In Chicago, I have found that Bobak's buffets are the best! They're part of a grocery store chain in the Chicagoland area. You can access their locations at www. bobak.com. One of their locations is really convenient to Midway Airport!
tmizerek
Hamburger
RE: Polish food 2006/10/24 16:23:10
Here in southern CA we have a Polish church in Yorba Linda. They have a festival where the woman cook great polish food but it's available once a year. polishcenter.org

San Francisco has a great polish restaurant, Old Krakow. Check their menu at http://dziuggy.com/ok/
oltheimmer
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/03 11:27:10
The Houston Press published a review of Polonia, a Polish restaurant and store, this week:

http://www.poloniarestaurant.com

http://www.houstonpress.com/Issues/2006-11-02/dining/cafe_full.html

There is also a review on line in the Houston Chronicle Dining guide from last year.

I just posted about this in the kolache thread in the International forum here on Roadfood. I know nothing of Polish food but I'm going to be checking it out.
the ancient mariner
Filet Mignon
RE: Polish food 2006/11/03 12:28:13
Best place I know is my sister-in-laws kitchen. She makes her own kielbasa etc. which she learned about from Grandma ---who else !!!! Now to get to Barbara and Matts house you take the LIE to Exit --------------
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/08 11:27:20
Last week after going for a check up, at Hines V.A. Hospital, in Maywood, Il, I drove into Chicago, and did my Polish food shopping, and ate a great Polish meal. Thank God, that, Chicago still cares to take care of the wonderful Polish people. I hope this never changes. Whenever I can, I take my grandchildren with me to share this great thing. We must keep this alive. I do my part, do you?

Why can't we bring this great foods out to all areas? Does the public not want to eat Polish foods? Or have they not tried them?

What do you think.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/08 13:40:49
Certainly people in areas that have (or had) a large Polish population, still eat Polish; and there are usually at least some good restaurants in those areas.
"Polish food" though, is really very similar (identical in many cases) to the foods that are eaten by other ethnicities that came to America such as Russian, German, Slovenian, Czech, and many others from Eastern European origin. The "style" of food is actually pretty common, particularly in peoples homes.

When it comes to keeping a culture alive, it all comes down to what parents take the time to raise their children with. It's really a decision that has to be made consciously by the parents when children are very young.
It is said that children thrive on "routine", and that would certainly include regularly occurring traditions ... especially seasonal, whether strawberry picking and then cooking and canning with the kids - or a Lenten season tradition like Karneval (which is a 4 month season) etc.; and other holiday traditions, especially the food traditions.

In my family, because we are only one generation removed from the old country on both sides, we have always practiced many traditions (Italian on fathers, and on my mother's: German (actually Ostpreusen, Eastern Prussian ... the only "true" Germans according to my late grandmother ...(ahem) ;-) ... Prussia is sometimes referred to as Royal Germany from the days when Germany had a monarchy ... I digress).

As an adult, I've come back to many of the traditions from my childhood.
It is a shame more parents don't take a moment to think thru some traditions to establish with their kids. It's so simple; and it means so much.

Trishkaidekaphobia
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/12 15:59:35
quote:
Originally posted by buffetbuster

Anyone familiar with chrusciki? I had never heard of it until I tried it for the first time earlier today from Forgotten Taste Famous Pierogies, which I mentioned in an earlier post. It is described as an angel wing pastry covered in powdered sugar. It was quite delicious, along with the stuffed cabbage, sauerkraut pierogies and green beans I had for lunch. I am really going to enjoy having a Polish take-out place so close by!

Buffetbuster, Chrusciki are the Perfect Polish Pastry! I've heard them called faworki as well and translated as "twiglets". I don't care what they're called. As long as they are crisp and break apart when you bite them and not "chewy", I could live on them! I have not been able to find good ones in any store/bakery here in Canada. Then again, could anything match my Mama's chrusciki!
gcw
Junior Burger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/12 22:15:48
Trishaidekaphobia, also called "Khrusty" or "Nothings". We're lucky enough to have several eastern European markets here, one of which that sells them. I have an authentic Ukranian recipe for them, but haven't ever made them myself.
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/17 12:43:28
Bobacks is like the McDonalds of Polish food, not as good as you make at home, or what your grandmother made, but O.K., beter than none.
aleswench
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/17 12:56:19
quote:
Originally posted by burgerman206

Dear Aleswench,
Where do you live in New Jersey; which exit? Seriously, though, I think a lot of us Northeast "Roadfoodlers" would like to know which town you're talking about. You describe commuters heading home. Sounds like it's near a NJ Transit train station. Could it be Linden, or is it further north?! There is a good perogi factory and cafe across the street from the Roselle Park train station -- I believe it's on Chestnut Street. Delicious Perogies, Inc.; don't have the phone number handy. All the traditional variations of potato and----, as well as some really good fruit-filled ones. (Cherry and blueberry are my favorites!!!) Get there before 2 or 3pm, as the fruit ones sell out the earliest. You can also buy them frozen by the dozen to take home.

The two Polish deli's I was talking about are on Route 23 in the Butler/Kinnelon area. One is on 23 North, and one on 23 South. The one on 23 South is on the corner of Boonton Ave, and on 23 North in a small strip mall just past Boonton Ave. Haven't been to either in while, come to think of it! Sue
Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/20 10:03:26
What will you all eat for your Polish Christmas eve and day meal?

Many of us, eat the same meal each year, do you? If yes what will it be?

Does anyone still put straw on the table for this meal? Do you know why we do?

Do you still exchange the waffer on this meal? Do you know what this is for?

Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/20 12:29:16
I got three Wigilia's to go to this year ... two are vegetarian, the third serves meat. The big public Wigilia we had to buy tickets for ($20 per ticket) ... the other vegetarian Wigilia one is at the Rectory of our Church with the Pastor of the parish and about 40 other people. The third one that's not vegetarian is at my girlfriend's neighbor's house (Górale if there ever were some).
The one at the Church Rectory is our main Wigilia which, this year, is on Saturday the 23rd because Christmas Eve is on a Sunday ... and you can't fast on a Sunday - Wigilia is a "black fast" - no meat.

Yup, we put straw under the tablecloth (we always make sure the longest one is at Father's seat - good luck and long life and all) I'm told the tradition is to remind people of the manger ... yup, there are Oplatki at all of them ... and the littlest kids are always sent out to look for the star.

And after dinner, while the children go to see if the dog and cat will talk to them yet, the rest of us have a little Krupnik and enjoy some peace and quiet.

Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/21 08:56:11
Great information for all, but what is Krupnik?

Any others have any input on this? Like what you will be having to eat?

Do you all go meatless on Eve? What do you have?

What do you have on the day?
ScreenBear
RE: Polish food 2006/11/21 09:16:44
In New Jersey, very good Polish cuisine is served at Tania's, Grove Street, Jersey City.
The Bear
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/22 00:51:35
Krupnik is 80proof Honey-Liqueur
buckeye1
Hamburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/22 10:36:46
Since Grandma died several years ago, our family has been kind of lax about the whole Wigilia meal, but this year all the cousins will be in town and we are trying to remember all the Polish traditions. We always did the hay under the tablecloth, and set an extra place setting for an unexpected visitor (or was it for the baby Jesus?). I'm not sure about how many courses the meal had, but it was definitely meatless. I've been doing some web-searching for more info on Wigilia dishes, but I think I need a good Polish cookbook too. (Grandma never measured a thing, and didn't read or write English, so we have no recipes to follow)

This website has been pretty helpful: http://acweb.colum.edu/users/agunkel/homepage/polxmas.html

Some more about Polish Christmas:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wigilia

Does anyone have a recipe for the honey cakes (Pierniki)?
wanderingjew
Sirloin
RE: Polish food 2006/11/26 13:01:40
quote:
Originally posted by Polish guy

Why won't the rest of you, Polish-Americans share with us, your Christmas past and your plans for this one?

Maybe because there aren't a whole lot of Polish Americans on this forum. Here in Rhode Island and Southeastern Massachusetts, Polish Americans are very few and far between.
Rick F.
RE: Polish food 2006/11/26 14:32:04
I too would like good mail-order sources for Polish foods, of which I'm woefully ignorant.
Sonny Funzio
Double Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/26 15:13:16
We're lucky to have two really good Polish stores within 5 miles of my house.

I think it may be the case that there are not a lot of people who practice Polish holiday traditions on the board, even people of Polish descent get away from the customs (just like the other ethnicities eventually do).
sizz
RE: Polish food 2006/11/27 15:52:05
quote:
Rick F. Posted - 11/26/2006 : 14:32:04
I too would like good mail-order sources for Polish foods, of which I'm woefully ignorant.

Rick I know you have been around the block more then a few times so this ought to be a "no brainer" for you....
Google advanced search... with all of the words...."mail-order" " Polish foods"
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22mail-order%22+%22+Polish+foods%22&btnG=Search&hl=en&lr=&ie=ISO-8859-1&as_qdr=all
porkbeaks
RE: Polish food 2006/11/27 16:03:45
http://www.polana.com/?gclid=CPLYmb6N6IgCFU5xFQodtGZ-og
Rick F.
RE: Polish food 2006/11/28 11:03:16
quote:
Originally posted by fpczyz

quote:
Rick F. Posted - 11/26/2006 : 14:32:04

Rick I know you have been around the block more then a few times so this ought to be a "no brainer" for you....
And you think I have a brain because. . .? The quality's the issue; that's where I'm weak (with hunger? ).
sizz
RE: Polish food 2006/11/28 11:10:40
quote:
Rick F. Posted - 11/28/2006 : 11:03:16................ And you think I have a brain because. . .?
you have a point there Rickie....................... lol
rjb
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/28 12:02:24
Kurowycky on the lower east side of Manhattan is a great Polish butcher that makes great sausages & smoked hams. In Riverhead, on the North Fork of Long Island there is neighborhood called Polish Town which has several good restaurants & marketss (don't remember the names). I do recall one place that advertised as an appetizer a Polish Pu-Pu platter, featuring kielbasa, kraut & pierogies instead of the usual "Polynesian" fare.
albinoni
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/11/28 14:28:19
quote:
Originally posted by burgerman206

Dear Aleswench,

Although I see Delicious Pierogies almost every day from the train, I've never been there. Didn't know they had a cafe.

Maybe I can fill in the blanks about Linden, one of NJ's best-kept foodie secrets. Especially for Polish--Linden has a huge population of Polish immigrants, and I know of two great food sources. On Wood Avenue, near the train station, is Pulaski--in addition to imported products, it has all sorts of kielbasca, as well as prepared foods to go. There is another small deli on a side street just across from Pulaski--I don't know anything about it. Then there is Syrena, a deli/butcher located in the National Wholesale Liquidator strip mall on St. Georges Ave, just south of Stiles Street. Smaller and less fancy than Pulaski, I don't like their kielbasca as much, but their prepared meals are outstanding--you get a huge portion of meat (pork chop, chicken cutlet, meatball, etc.), potato (roasted, boiled or mashed), and red cabbage or some other veggie, all for 5 bucks. I get two meals out of one portion. Wish I lived closer.

For dessert, you can go up St. George a short distance to Beinstein's Village Bakery, an old-fashioned Jewish bake shop, one of the few left in NJ.

Charlie

PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/12/01 16:51:22
There used to be a polish restaurant in the old downtown section of Lemont, i had quite a few good meals there, Is it still there ?

Polish guy
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/12/02 12:30:25
Where is Lemont?
ChiTownDiner
Filet Mignon
RE: Polish food 2006/12/02 12:47:00
Does the Polish Guy have any recommendations in the Chicago area to kep the fires burning? You mentioned eating after a visit to Hines...where? Was it good? Where else do you go? How about Fat Tuesday Patzki's - I buy a hundred for the office...all flavors.
PepperPhil
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/12/03 10:57:51
Lemont is SW of Chicago along the I&M Canal district
albinoni
Cheeseburger
RE: Polish food 2006/12/07 15:13:38
quote:

What are your plans for the Holidays? Share with us, we want to know.

We've had an unbroken tradition for over 30 years of going to our best friends, who live 10 minutes away--they invite about 20 people (usually the same ones every year) for Xmas. I bake some pies for dessert, but they always order miniatures from Bovella's, an excellent Italian bakery in Westfield, NJ. There is enough food to feed twice as many people. We always go back for leftovers the next day.

As part of the same tradition, we have New Years Eve dinner at our place. We reciprocate the Xmas invitation, add a leaf to the dining room table and invite 2 or 3 more couples. Everyone brings champagne, we get blasted, I bake more pies, wife makes a big NY cheesecake. The next day I wake up feeling like the Philadelphia Mummer's Parade is going through my head. Then we serve leftovers to the friends who had us over for Xmas.
Foodbme
Porterhouse
RE: Polish food 2006/12/11 11:50:51
quote:

I still can't place it, what is it near? How far from Chicago. I live in Valparaiso, Indiana, so how will I get there?

They invented these new fangled things----They're called MAPS! Check one out!
Page: 12345.. > >> Showing page 1 of 6 - Powered by APG vNext Trial