Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is...

Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Author
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
Double Chili Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 22:13:32 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I answered Something Else because none of the names work for me. When  see Thin Crust all I know is a crust that breaks like a cracker. I detest that. California Pizza Kitchen comes to mind. As for the remainder of the list, nothing there describes the New Haven style crust I grew up with and love.

That's life with this polling software.  There just isn't room to explain all the differences.  But, yes, I did intend for "Thin" to encompass both those weird cracker-crust pies as well as my all-time favorite New Haven crust.  Cracker crust probably should have been broken out.

New Haven crust, as a type, seems to me to be in the same family as NY crust, or standard non-chain delivery crust.  The difference is mostly that it tastes so much better.  I hope Jane and Michael address how this happens in their forthcoming Pizza magazine - I don't really know how they do it.  The dough is saltier, chewier, grungier on the bottom, more scorched, and it's also cooked in coal ovens.  But many NY pizzerias also do most of that, and they turn out some very fine crusts, but not, in my opinion, as good as the New Haven version.
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 18346
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 23:25:13 (permalink)
I hope my post didn't come across as a complaint about the poll. It was not.
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 23:25:50 (permalink)
I don't like crust that taste likes crackers or bisquick. I like a crispy bottom covered with little air bubbles crust  that you have to fold the best. but then again depending on what you are having on it ,such as chunks of Italian sausage, thicker is called for. To me, the real test of a pizza is , does it taste good with just crust, sauce and mozzerella. If it does, then usually whatever you put on it will taste good. In different papers I read where they determine the best pizzas, everyone listed had different toppings. the same with burgers, they should be judged by the meat not covered with the kitchen sink.
Bruce Bilmes and Susan Boyle
  • Total Posts : 1350
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/16 23:30:18 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

I hope my post didn't come across as a complaint about the poll. It was not.

Not at all!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/21 01:21:36 (permalink)
Wanna see how Grandma's Pizza is made?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H54jmWXPaMU
ChrisOC
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 988
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/22 10:48:18 (permalink)
I like the crust thin and slightly crispy, with just sauce and cheese.  The way we get it on the boards.

stricken_detective
  • Total Posts : 2330
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/22 12:06:17 (permalink)
Thin crust. If I wanted more dough I would order some breadsticks or garlic bread.
leethebard
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6244
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/22 20:59:23 (permalink)
ChrisOC

I like the crust thin and slightly crispy, with just sauce and cheese.  The way we get it on the boards.

Oh my, look at that...that's the real thing...I can taste that crust...look at that melted cheese...that's a masterpiece, pure and simple..put that picture in the dictionary next to "pizza"...chain pizza eat your heart out!!!
ynotryme
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 562
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/22 23:20:07 (permalink)
Those pictures do look delicious.
doggydaddy
  • Total Posts : 1847
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 09:04:26 (permalink)

I am sure that the we can all agree that the absolute worst crust comes par-baked and in a plastic package.  Just add toppings.  It's in the bread aisle at the supermarket, no refrigeration needed...

That said, and while French bread is acceptable to some, I have also made quicky pizzas using English muffins and flour tortillas (which work great for crisp crusts).

mark
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 10:04:11 (permalink)
If you're talking about a Boboli, I think you;re wrong. It's not apizza. And it's really good as long as one knows that it is not apizza. Try one with chopped garlic, olive oil, a couple of finely-diced, seeded plum tomatoes, some chopped Italian parsley, chopped green onion, grated Parmigiano Reggiano and some fresh mozzarella.
Burgerdogboy
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 1
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 11:11:39 (permalink)
definitely the 'ultra-thin', so popular in the upper midwest (outside of chicago, anyway).  try www.mysammys.com for one!

Davwud
Double Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 521
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 11:28:39 (permalink)
So where is this poll??
I doubt my answer would be an option.

My answer is, Good. I could care less if it's thin, thick, herbed, stuffed, whatever. Just make it good and I'm happy.

DT
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 11:34:24 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

If you're talking about a Boboli, I think you;re wrong. It's not apizza. And it's really good as long as one knows that it is not apizza. Try one with chopped garlic, olive oil, a couple of finely-diced, seeded plum tomatoes, some chopped Italian parsley, chopped green onion, grated Parmigiano Reggiano and some fresh mozzarella.

How about some frsh basil...that should be on there even more than the parsley..in the sauce or on top..but it sure is traditional!!......not a steady patron of Connecticut pizza, so is Parsley standard????
Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 11:50:05 (permalink)
leethebard

Michael Hoffman

How about some frsh basil...that should be on there even more than the parsley..in the sauce or on top..but it sure is traditional!!......not a steady patron of Connecticut pizza, so is Parsley standard????

No, parsley isn't standard. You see I never seem to have basil on hand when I make one, but I always have the flat leaf parsley. I don't know why that happens.

But I did just get back from the store with some fresh basil. Of course, I don't happen to have a Boboli in the house.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/08/23 11:51:35
MiamiDon
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4306
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 12:06:17 (permalink)
doggydaddy

I am sure that the we can all agree that the absolute worst crust comes par-baked and in a plastic package.  Just add toppings.  It's in the bread aisle at the supermarket, no refrigeration needed...

That said, and while French bread is acceptable to some, I have also made quicky pizzas using English muffins and flour tortillas (which work great for crisp crusts).

mark

No, the worst is a pizza made from those pizza kits from the grocery store.  (Do they still have those?) 

Rusty246
  • Total Posts : 2413
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 12:23:05 (permalink)
Oh yes, they're out there(cheese only here though), I still make them on occasion......you know, to show the kid's how we made our own pizza when WE were kid's.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 12:37:21 (permalink)
Michael Hoffman

leethebard

Michael Hoffman

Fresh italian parsley is good on so many things..we grow our own and a bit is fine in gravy or sauce or meatballs..but fresh basil, which we also grow, aaahhh hnow that's an herb...and so perfect on a pizza...no bobili, for a quick pizza, try a good bagel..or English muffin''or hell, put it in a quick gravy. lots of it and have some pasta for dinner!!!!
How about some fresh basil...that should be on there even more than the parsley..in the sauce or on top..but it sure is traditional!!......not a steady patron of Connecticut pizza, so is Parsley standard????

No, parsley isn't standard. You see I never seem to have basil on hand when I make one, but I always have the flat leaf parsley. I don't know why that happens.

But I did just get back from the store with some fresh basil. Of course, I don't happen to have a Boboli in the house.

Michael Hoffman
Double-chop Porterhouse
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 12:45:59 (permalink)
leethebard

Michael Hoffman

leethebard

Michael Hoffman

Fresh italian parsley is good on so many things..we grow our own and a bit is fine in gravy or sauce or meatballs..but fresh basil, which we also grow, aaahhh hnow that's an herb...and so perfect on a pizza...no bobili, for a quick pizza, try a good bagel..or English muffin''or hell, put it in a quick gravy. lots of it and have some pasta for dinner!!!!
How about some fresh basil...that should be on there even more than the parsley..in the sauce or on top..but it sure is traditional!!......not a steady patron of Connecticut pizza, so is Parsley standard????

Oh, I love basil, and that's why I'm almost always out of it. I use it all the time, especially when making sauce -- heck, I even use it, along with parsley, when I make aglio y olio or carbonara. See, the only time I do a Boboli is when I'm hungry and in a hurry -- usually late in the evening when I've been working -- and I don't like having to get dressed to go to the store for basil then.

I used to grow basil -- even had a gro-lite for the fall and winter inside. For some reason I just stopped.
Hmm. Carbonara. And one of the things I just bought is pancetta. Well, I know what I'm having tonight.
post edited by Michael Hoffman - 2010/08/23 12:47:33
Wintem01
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 205
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 14:40:40 (permalink)
MiamiDon

doggydaddy

mark

No, the worst is a pizza made from those pizza kits from the grocery store.  (Do they still have those?) 

HA,ha!! The Chef Boyardee pizza kits. Those were the WORST!
As far as crust, I prefer a deep dish or stuffed pizza. But, I don't know about anyone else, it's kind of like comparing apples to oranges. Thin crust feeds one craving and thick feeds another.
ScreamingChicken
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 5018
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 15:14:44 (permalink)
I love a Chef Boyardee pizza topped with sliced Hormel pepperoni.

I honestly don't think you can get any more authentically Italian than that.

Brad
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 15:24:50 (permalink)
Brad_Olson

Brad

Your words alone are a mortal sin.Repent!!!!!!!
Foodbme
Porterhouse
  • Total Posts : 10199
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 15:26:28 (permalink)
Brad_Olson

Brad

Hormel is a German name you Doom Koof!
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/08/23 17:58:17 (permalink)
Why not have some of that Italian Hormels with a great bowl of Spagettio's!!!
TimothyGlutton
Junior Burger
  • Total Posts : 10
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/10/05 05:23:42 (permalink)
Simply this: Modern Pizza in New Haven. I call it thin, but it's certainly not as thin as, say, Colony Grill in Stamford or Fairfield.

Call me what you will, I have never had better pizza than in the Nutmeg State.

TG
collinf
Cheeseburger
  • Total Posts : 163
Re:Poll Queston - My Favorite Style of Pizza Crust is... 2010/10/05 09:39:03 (permalink)
Davwud

So where is this poll??
I doubt my answer would be an option.

My answer is, Good. I could care less if it's thin, thick, herbed, stuffed, whatever. Just make it good and I'm happy.

DT

I concur completely with DT.  I am less concerned about the thickness or thinness of the crust.  I don't limit myself to a particular style.  I pretty much love it all.  Just do it right and do it well.
MetroplexJim
Filet Mignon
  • Total Posts : 4058
Re:My Favorite Style of Pizza 2011/02/07 18:54:49 (permalink)
My favorite crust is the thin, crisp (but definitely not "crackery")Neopolitain made with NYC tap water and baked in a brick oven fired with coal.

Second would be what I call "NY-style" so wonderfully illustrated above by ChrisOC.

Third is somewhat a rarity these days - the square baking pan pie that is vut into squares and sold by the piece.  This is dense, thin, and very crisp.  This style was sold by walk-ups in the '50's and is absolutely delightful when consumed on the spot.  When living in McLean I enjoyed this at Mario's on Wilson Bv. in Arlington, VA.
ann peeples
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 8323
Re:My Favorite Style of Pizza 2011/02/07 19:14:38 (permalink)
I prefer a thin crust, but not so thin its like a cracker. They were the norm about 20 years ago in my town, but are few and far between now that pan style seems to have taken over.I like Boboli for a quick fix-they have a thinner version out there that I use with pizza toppings, or for  garlic/butter bread.
Davydd
Sirloin
  • Total Posts : 6340
Re:My Favorite Style of Pizza 2011/02/07 20:03:24 (permalink)
Since this thread started I have refined my own crust after going to the pizza Mecca of Naples, Italy. It is simply Caputo Tipo 00 flour, water, salt and yeast (no sugars, oils or spices) with a 65% hydration, hand kneaded 10 minutes, overnight refrigerator ferment, hand tossed and baked on a pre-heated pizza stone in a conventional oven or brick floor in a wood-fired brick oven at the highest temperature possible 550F upward to 900F. If done right you should get an outstanding oven spring at the edges, a foldable crust, and an exquisite chewy taste.
leethebard
Sirloin
Re:My Favorite Style of Pizza 2011/02/07 21:02:17 (permalink)
Those are the directions to pizza heaven!!!
Page: < 123 > Showing page 2 of 3
Jump to:
© 2014 APG vNext Commercial Version 5.1